• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity |OT| Liberté, égalité, parité

Feck, I slightly regret buying this. The graphics upgrade, open world, and usual AC competent storytelling means it's a good game, but I find myself fighting the controls a lot more compared to AC4, the frame rate gets really bad sometimes, and Elise is not an appealing character to me (though that's personal taste and I'm only about 30 minutes in).

Maybe should've gone for the PC version, but I wanted to play it comfortably.

looks like the maintenance they did for initiates did absolutely nothing to fix it. Still showing the completely wrong stats for most titles on mine

Kabouter

looks like the maintenance they did for initiates did absolutely nothing to fix it. Still showing the completely wrong stats for most titles on mine

I figured the long maintenance would have meant they'd add the daily drills, but still nothing. Still shows the correct stats for me though at least, except for the AC:U companion app, so I'm lucky on that I guess.

kyser73

Made the decision to get this on PS4, happy with it so far.

Only a few hours in, and the general run of play FPS is OK, but it did go completely to shit when I climbed up the altar cover in the cathederal - worse than anything I'd seen on PS3! Glad I waited for some of the patches before jumping in though.

Still, I'm enjoying the game. The built environment is lovely, the combat is improved and I still get to feel like a badass. Character animation is good IMO, and some of the cutscenes are astonishing...others not so much (altho at least they've got the teeth right). I'm really surprised at the inconsistency of the graphics TBH - sometimes it looks jaw-droppingly good, other times actually pretty poor.

Parkour is great, and the scale is amazing - I know Paris reasonably well, and walking around Notre Dame and the Left Bank along streets I know bought back memories of AC2 when I played it having just returned from a trip to Florence.

So far then - it's a Creed game, with all that implies. So far not as good as Black Flag or 2, but I'm not that far in, so who knows? I'm enjoying it, and that's what counts, right?

Kssio_Aug

Do AC Rogue bring any of the gameplay changes of Unity? (Such as parkour down)

Also, am I the only one having problems inviting a friend to a game? He keeps getting "connection failed" but when he calls me it works fine.

cackhyena

Parkour Down definitely needs some refinements as it often results in weird, painful looking descents.
It's true. It works very little like the amazing reveal. Some of the descents are absurdly long before you grab on to something. Game breaks its own rules with that shit sometimes.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Just finished it after getting it last week on PS4, found it to be a little underwhelming (and that's after I lowered my expectations). My impressions are probably similar to many in this thread. On the plus side I thought Arno & Elise were very likeable, and Paris is probably the most convincing recreation of a city in the whole series.

On the negative side the story seemed insignificant and kind of petered out towards the end, the missions were average at best and other than the leads there are no memorable characters whatsoever. The games biggest problem is obviously the vast amount of terrible filler activities, it's as if they went to all the trouble to recreate Paris and then filled the map with useless clutter just to make sure you would see all of it. This wouldn't have been as much of a problem if the story wasn't relatively short for an AC game. The complete lack of a modern day story really annoyed me, I know I'm in the minority but I really like these sections. It is particularly disappointing in this case as AC4's modern story was so well done, the game loses an element of mystery by cutting these sections imo.

The upgrade tree was completely unnecessary, I don't know why they thought it would be a good idea to lock away most of the series' basic abilities until the latter half of the game. Even then the upgrade points are so stingy you can't get them all unless you play co-op. The chests are pointless enough as it is without locking them out for the vast majority of the game, it was so annoying going to the effort of finding one just to discover that it was a level 3 lock. Another massive problem were the controls, they are easily the worst in the series, they are so unresponsive. The combat is the usual woeful counter+mash attack. All of these problems are made worse by the game's awful framerate, which is every bit as bad as it has been made out. I didn't experience a single bug though so that's something.

Despite my bitching I wouldn't say I disliked it. I thought it was OK, maybe slightly better than AC3 and infinitely better than Revelations, but I will remember it as a missed opportunity. There was a really good game in here somewhere. London will have to go some way to beat that stunning version of Paris.

Dear Lord
I hate the last two co-op missions. It is hell to play alone and it crashed on the Tournament mission

Tournament is really the only one you need coop for. The last one is tough if you've not got good gear, but smokebombs + high damage weapon soon make it easy, especially with a merchant placed in the middle of the action to refill supplies.

Have the patch(es) made this game any better on Xbox One? I got the asscreed bundle and used the Black Flag code yesterday. Great game!

But I was wondering if I should keep or sell the code for Unity

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Have the patch(es) made this game any better on Xbox One? I got the asscreed bundle and used the Black Flag code yesterday. Great game!

But I was wondering if I should keep or sell the code for Unity

As I said above I played start to finish with the latest patch on PS4 and didn't experience a single bug. It still has the framerate of a PowerPoint presentation though. If you can get a good price for it, I would say sell it and maybe pick it up again at some point later on. Black Flag is a superior game in every way so spend your time playing that instead.

painey

co op is a nightmare. if I try and start a particular mission it will not find anyone and just start me solo which is NOT what I want. Twice when I've just joined random games the other player was AFK until they quit out, and then last game I played the NPC literally didnt spawn so we had to quit. infuriating.

Tell me, was i ripped off? I just won an auction on Ebay for Black Flag and Unity for Xbox One for $29. Received the digital codes, and i am downloading as we speak. Never played black flag or unity.

Really starting to get into this, very good Assassin's Creed game. There is way too much to do though, I feel very overwhelmed. Also had the game crash to dashboard twice when I failed some of the training exercises.

ttech10

Tell me, was i ripped off? I just won an auction on Ebay for Black Flag and Unity for Xbox One for $29. Received the digital codes, and i am downloading as we speak. Never played black flag or unity.

I'd be happy with just Unity for $30. And Black Flag itself, even as my least favorite AC game, is still pretty good. Sounds like a deal to me.

webkatt

That's not bad. BoxedDeal is selling it for $27. I bought a code pre-launch for more and it was only for Unity.
Wish I had a got a a code for Black Flag as at that price since I played about 20-30 mins of it (Played for a bit at a friends house). The portion I played was really good.
I'm trying to hold off on Unity see if the patches help stabilize the frame rate. Ideally I wish they'd do away with the tied mobile game chests/unlocks and fix the AC Initiates thing.

But I'm itching to play some AC!

valkyre

I holding a tiny basket. Tiny.

The game runs at 20 fps in most crowded sections.

I seriously doubt that a patch will offer ~33% improvement in framerate department.

What I expect is that part that the games ran at 20 fps will now be 24-25 fps. And actually I believe that even that is highly optimistic...

But I would love to eat crow in this case... oh I would love it if they can provide a small miracle.

SJRB

Gold Member
It's been a month since release, I just don't understand how a patch can cause a 10fps+ increase just like that.

I'm 50/50 on the next patch not really fixing framerates and such and Ubi just going "Well at least we tried" while the game's controversy fades away as time goes on.

It's possible for a patch to increase fps by a lot (10-15). It's basically all you do as a developer in the last few months. Once art is locked its a constant battle of the fps and if your game is rushed out you still could have some signficant optimization passes left.

I gotta say though, I just finished it and the framerate seemed pretty decent the last few hours... Not sure why. Still got a little messy in crowds, but overall it wasnt bad.

I enjoyed the game. Some of the stealth sections are absolutely infuriating though. I want to know who thought it was acceptable for a npc to see your shoulder peaking out a mile away and getting alerted. Also that alert meter fills up wayyyy toooo fast.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Has anyone tried to play the coop missions solo? I've beat my first one yesterday and it was absurdely difficult and also felt just horrible because it seemed like an endless amount of way too many enemies to defeat. In the end, I basically just climbed on some huge building, tried to air assassinate and run away all the time for the first half of the mission and basically lucking out in the second part wrt having her survive the masses of enemies to defeat (at one point the game told me to sneakily take out 9 very strong guards that were all in the same confined space, or to hope that she survives the open fight). One awful experience.

Not having all my abilites from older Ass Creeds and the constant reminder that I can shell out some money for them was a huge bummer, too. In the end, the damn mission took me several hours (though admittedly, I'm a bit impatient with stealth aspects) to finish and I was already observing increasing load times - which ended up in a hang-up the last time I tried to force my way through a coop mission on my own.

quetz67

Banned
It's been a month since release, I just don't understand how a patch can cause a 10fps+ increase just like that.

Of course it CAN on PS4. PS4 is more powerful and Ubi already admitted it is not a CPU problem ("The crowd AI is CPU dependant" and "Reducing the crowds would not increase framerate") which we all knew. So optimizing the PS4 version would make 30FPS possible for sure.

I'm 50/50 on the next patch not really fixing framerates and such and Ubi just going "Well at least we tried" while the game's controversy fades away as time goes on.

That will be the most probable outcome

...but then...they will improve the engine for AC:V, maybe some of those improvements will find their way into a patch for Unity

Ade

Not having all my abilites from older Ass Creeds and the constant reminder that I can shell out some money for them was a huge bummer, too.

I thought all abilities were purchased via skill points, which you get for missions, not a currency as such.

Its not really any different from previous games, where you got better equipment and tools as you progressed, its just slightly less natural feeling when its skill points versus plot related gifts.

Kabouter

I thought all abilities were purchased via skill points, which you get for missions, not a currency as such.

Its not really any different from previous games, where you got better equipment and tools as you progressed, its just slightly less natural feeling when its skill points versus plot related gifts.

Correct, you can use real money to get weapons and equipment faster? But why would you, do the café theatre missions and you'll soon have more money than you have any idea what to do with.

Has anyone tried to play the coop missions solo?

I did, but I was at 5 stars with all the best gear already. The only one that I think is actually impossible solo is The Tournament; the rest are all doable. I was playing them solo to get the Sync Points (didn't want to leave randoms waiting around while I ran about looking for collectibles), and the huge numbers of guards are definitely a pain, but by the time you're fully leveled up you're almost invincible. I had a huge health bar with something like 14 instant health refills, 13 Smoke Bombs, plenty of bullets for a pistol that could one-shot almost every enemy, and the Assassin Cache for the odd occasion I ever ran out of consumables. At a certain point I just started strolling nonchalantly into restricted areas and shooting everyone.

Done with AC: Unity now I've cleaned up all the side mission stuff, uninstalled it to make room on Xbox One for other games. Not going to wait for DLC.

Enjoyed it overall but they really need to tone down the sheer amount of clutter for future AC games. The social club missions felt pointless. Would have preferred fewer murder mysteries with more depth/investigation over the many shallow ones they have. The chests you can't unlock without apps/whatever need to go. There are too many chests as well (plus Cafe Theatre income makes chests redundant far too early, ignored them all until after I completed the game).

The Nostradamus Enigmas were great fun though.

Has anyone tried to play the coop missions solo? I've beat my first one yesterday and it was absurdely difficult and also felt just horrible because it seemed like an endless amount of way too many enemies to defeat.

I have but only through my co-op partner dropping out of duo missions. You can smoke bomb your way through the non-heist ones without any trouble (and any mission when levelled up is cake) but heist missions on your own? Ouch.

Mogwai

Done with AC: Unity now I've cleaned up all the side mission stuff, uninstalled it to make room on Xbox One for other games. Not going to wait for DLC.

Enjoyed it overall but they really need to tone down the sheer amount of clutter for future AC games. The social club missions felt pointless. Would have preferred fewer murder mysteries with more depth/investigation over the many shallow ones they have. The chests you can't unlock without apps/whatever need to go. There are too many chests as well (plus Cafe Theatre income makes chests redundant far too early, ignored them all until after I completed the game).

The Nostradamus Enigmas were great fun though.

I have but only through my co-op partner dropping out of duo missions. You can smoke bomb your way through the non-heist ones without any trouble (and any mission when levelled up is cake) but heist missions on your own? Ouch.
I'd really wish that Ubisoft would let us decide whether or not we want to see the Initiate and Nomad chests on the map.

The map in Unity is just littered with shit all over. It's a shame because underneath all that junk, it's actually a quite cool map viewer.

RowdyReverb

I wouldn't mind the Nomad chests if they would actually unlock in game based on my app activity. Haven't been able to connect Unity in over a week. Hoping Patch 4 fixes it.

glaurung

I wouldn't mind the Nomad chests if they would actually unlock in game based on my app activity. Haven't been able to connect Unity in over a week. Hoping Patch 4 fixes it.
I have managed to completely fuck up the companion app. I cannot progress through the tutorial, because there is a progress-preventing bug and the continue button simply does not light up.

This means I cannot even solve the first glyph puzzle. Ubi support has promised a patch, but my hopes aren't high.

RowdyReverb

I have managed to completely fuck up the companion app. I cannot progress through the tutorial, because there is a progress-preventing bug and the continue button simply does not light up.

This means I cannot even solve the first glyph puzzle. Ubi support has promised a patch, but my hopes aren't high.

Did you try uninstalling and reinstalling? I've been lucky so far with the app itself, just haven't been able to integrate it with the main game

glaurung

Did you try uninstalling and reinstalling? I've been lucky so far with the app itself, just haven't been able to integrate it with the main game
I have tried everything. The trouble is on my UPlay account side. As soon as I log in on the companion app, shit breaks.

Kabouter

I believe they said this was fixed with the 1.04 companion app patch, guess they were wrong.

glaurung

I believe they said this was fixed with the 1.04 companion app patch, guess they were wrong.
I understand that they have resolved the issue wherein the user progress was reset on the companion app (upon sync or something).

I guess my bug is different from that.

Kabouter

I understand that they have resolved the issue wherein the user progress was reset on the companion app (upon sync or something).

I guess my bug is different from that.

Also something about not being able to progress in the first training mission, but I guess your thing is different from that too, annoying :/

glaurung

Also something about not being able to progress in the first training mission, but I guess your thing is different from that too, annoying :/
Quoting from memory, my companion app breaks as follows:
  1. Download, install app.
  2. Everything works as long as I don't log into UPlay.
  3. Log in.
  4. Broken state is restored, wherein:
  5. My progress for the first tutorial mission is stuck on the last step (cannot remember the name). This step requires a lv3 assassin. My roster only has those two default lv2 assassins. I cannot train them up. I cannot reset my progress. I cannot do anything else.
The fun part is that I have an excess of 4000+ app resources.

Top Bottom