• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ASTRO BOT | State of Play Reveal Trailer

The_hunter

In this brand-new game, you will explore 6 galaxies and over 80 levels in search of Astro's scattered crew. Hold on tight to your Dual Speeder and dive down to each unique planet, from lush forests, sandy beaches, hot volcanoes to more surprising locations such as a gigantic hourglass or the canopy of a singing tree!

To get help on his mission, Astro can use over 15 new abilities offering unique play styles. As you would expect from an Astro game, these take full advantage of the DualSense controller, its haptic feedback and adaptive triggers so you can feel every little step along the journey. Among the many new powers, you will find Barkster, the Bulldog Booster that lets you air-dash and smash through enemies, metal and glass, the Twin-Frog Gloves that offer long-range punching and the ability to swing and the Giant Sponge that lets you suck up water from the environment to grow huge and cause massive (and slightly moist) destruction. Combined with improved Astro controls, these new powers take the Astro platforming experience to new heights, while remaining accessible for all. We can't wait for you to get your hands on these and let us know how they feel.

We also cranked up the number of baddies too with over 70 new types, including massive bosses at the end of each galaxy. Special mention to the deadly cobra queen Lady Venomara who appears in the trailer, waiting for you in her golden lair. Defeating each boss will uncover a wonderful secret but we don't want to spoil that, so our lips are sealed. And for the brave ones of you craving even more challenge, the game comes packed with die-and-retry levels to test your reflexes.

But that's not all, during this epic adventure, Astro will reunite with many friends from the PlayStation universe. The trailer shows only a few but we double down on the cast and hope to delight every PlayStation fan out there. And who knows, maybe this time, these characters will play an even bigger part in saving the day? (wink)

80 levels? Nice

I understand some of you are disappointed that it's not a PSVR2 game, but listen to reason:

• If it was PSVR2 exclusive, it would be a major flop. The playerbase isn't there, and no, Astro Bot VR would not make it happen.
  • If it was PSVR2 and flat, it certainly wouldn't be making the most of the VR experience. Underwhelming.
Buy it because it's going to be a great game, period, don't skip it because it's not the VR title you were never getting.

Markio128

Gold Member
I didnt hate it. Any platformer is good news. But honestly I expected a lot more after all the hype. The art style isnt great. Flying systems, controllers and robot Kratos is barely above PS All Stars art design. I dont need AAA graphics either but I just thought it would be more impressive visually. I bet Mario looks vastly superior to this on Switch 2.
Guitar Playing GIF

Elios83

Looks fantastic 🤩🤯
Day one and almost coming out of nowhere so soon. Really shows how marketing cycles have changed compared to the past...
I'm also looking forward to see the new creative ways they will use the Dualsense features. Playroom is still the best showcase title for these features (among with GT7).

DeepSpace5D

Holy shit, 80 levels? They really took it seriously when they saw people say they wanted a full sized release of Astrobot huh?

Easy day 1 for me. Trailer looked incredible, and I'm happy it looks like they are still leaning heavily into the PlayStation nostalgia and utilization of the Dualsense in interesting ways.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I understand some of you are disappointed that it's not a PSVR2 game, but listen to reason:

• If it was PSVR2 exclusive, it would be a major flop. The playerbase isn't there, and no, Astro Bot VR would not make it happen.
  • If it was PSVR2 and flat, it certainly wouldn't be making the most of the VR experience. Underwhelming.
Buy it because it's going to be a great game, period, don't skip it because it's not the VR title you were never getting.
I personally SUPER GLAD its not VR game.

Thief1987

Well the reasons are understandable, still sad, because RM was amazing.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I didnt hate it. Any platformer is good news. But honestly I expected a lot more after all the hype. The art style isnt great. Flying systems, controllers and robot Kratos is barely above PS All Stars art design. I dont need AAA graphics either but I just thought it would be more impressive visually. I bet Mario looks vastly superior to this on Switch 2.

Reading this was a slog, but I’ll change my mind if it ever comes to GamePass

Thief1987

Can we already skip to the part where you start to cry, play victim and leave the thread?

Neff

Day one.

Holy shit that looked SO GOOD.

It’s so rare to see a non-Nintendo 3D platformer with so much polish and creativity. I’m such a sucker for 3D platformers, and this one just looks so fun. I can’t wait!

Astro Bot games are basically Nintendo games not made by Nintendo. Relieved that Asobi survived Sony's Japanese purge, because they really do have some A-game talent there.

DJ12

Was wondering the same

QQRdXI3.png
Thi
If the pro is as thin as that I will eat a hat of your choosing lol

Thought everything looked super clean throughout, like Sony have integrated some magic into the sdk or it was all running on better hardware.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
In this brand-new game, you will explore 6 galaxies and over 80 levels in search of Astro's scattered crew. Hold on tight to your Dual Speeder and dive down to each unique planet, from lush forests, sandy beaches, hot volcanoes to more surprising locations such as a gigantic hourglass or the canopy of a singing tree!

To get help on his mission, Astro can use over 15 new abilities offering unique play styles. As you would expect from an Astro game, these take full advantage of the DualSense controller, its haptic feedback and adaptive triggers so you can feel every little step along the journey. Among the many new powers, you will find Barkster, the Bulldog Booster that lets you air-dash and smash through enemies, metal and glass, the Twin-Frog Gloves that offer long-range punching and the ability to swing and the Giant Sponge that lets you suck up water from the environment to grow huge and cause massive (and slightly moist) destruction. Combined with improved Astro controls, these new powers take the Astro platforming experience to new heights, while remaining accessible for all. We can't wait for you to get your hands on these and let us know how they feel.

We also cranked up the number of baddies too with over 70 new types, including massive bosses at the end of each galaxy. Special mention to the deadly cobra queen Lady Venomara who appears in the trailer, waiting for you in her golden lair. Defeating each boss will uncover a wonderful secret but we don't want to spoil that, so our lips are sealed. And for the brave ones of you craving even more challenge, the game comes packed with die-and-retry levels to test your reflexes.

But that's not all, during this epic adventure, Astro will reunite with many friends from the PlayStation universe. The trailer shows only a few but we double down on the cast and hope to delight every PlayStation fan out there. And who knows, maybe this time, these characters will play an even bigger part in saving the day? (wink)

giphy.gif

You will lose your bet same as you did with Stellar Blade.

For Nintendo to have these graphics we will have to wait another 10-15 years, being generous.

Still, IMO it's disappointing this is not VR. I understand the reasons but people who haven't played Astrobot Rescue Mission don't know what this could have been. The best platformer ever, easily.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
If the pro is as thin as that I will eat a hat of your choosing lol

Thought everything looked super clean throughout, like Sony have integrated some magic into the sdk or it was all running on better hardware.
The PS5 Pro devkit is identical to the current PS5 devkit so stands to reason they could be the same size in the end

Edit - Even Eurogamer asks the question and I imagine they too know what a PS5 looks like without the plates

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Still, IMO it's disappointing this is not VR. I understand the reasons but people who haven't played Astrobot Rescue Mission don't know what this could have been. The best platformer ever, easily.
I'm sorry but I never going spend $800 CAD to get VR just for one game.

Also this is the first Team Asobi actual release outside of Sony Japan. Wanting them to make a VR game only is wanting Sony to close yet another Japanese studio lol.
It's great that everyone with a PS5 can buy this.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Looks identical to the demo. Just on a much higher scale which I guess is expected for a fully price game.

The boss fights look pretty much, the same as the last Bossfight in the demo. My son had his mouth wide-open in awe at that just how much you could do but I was expecting a Mario odyssey caliber, open world platformer after a four year dev cycle.

The visuals look the same which again is disappointing.

Are you ever satisfied by anything?

JCreasy

I can’t wait to play this with the kids! And by that I mean hand over the controller to the kids and not be allowed to play. LOL.

Last edited:
No VR support is insulting. I'll not buy this despite loving platformers.
For as good as the game was in VR, it was entirely niche as millions of people didnt even know it existed. They can still release a VR version later, but it would be foolish not to release a flat screen version first, because now thats whats its most popular for.

I can wait to play this with the kids! And by that I mean hand over the controller to the kids and not be allowed to play. LOL.

Dont forget Sony has a patent that will allow multiple users to share one controllers input. Like a student driver car with two streering wheels. Maybe you can secretly play along without them noticing....

secret smell GIF

Celcius

°Temp. member
I know Sony is bringing games to PC now and they mentioned that their single player tentpole games would come to PS5 first, but do you guys think there's any chance this one comes to PC down the line?
Would it even feel right playing this on non-PlayStation hardware?
The game looks amazing but now I'm wondering if it's going to exclusive to PS5 hmm....

Last edited:
Top Bottom