• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ASTRO BOT | State of Play Reveal Trailer

XXL

I want people to really understand something.....

Astro Bot (VR) Rescue Mission is quite possibly the best platformer since Mario 64 and it is possibly better than it.

As in....the best platformer ever made.

No one cares if you like VR or not, but this is absolutely crushing to those who do.

This is the equivalent of them making Bloodborne 2 a Quest 3 exclusive. Take that in.

Yes, we all understand why it's not VR only, but that doesn't change how fucking disappointing this is.

Dont get it twisted, this is going to be an absolutely an amazing game and possibly the GOTY for 2024, but as good as that is.....it would have been better in VR (with VR being at the core of the mechanics) and we all know this.

You don't understand, because you just don't know.

I'm buying it 100% and this will probably be my GOTY, but I can't pretend I'm not extremely disappointed by this and that fucking sucks.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

Astro Bot (VR) Rescue Mission is quite possibly the best platformer since Mario 64 and it is possibly better than it.

No one cares if you like VR or not, but this is absolutely crushing to those who do.

This is the equivalent of them making Bloodborne 2 a Quest 3 exclusive. Take that in.

Yes, we all understand why it's not VR only, but that doesn't change how fucking disappointing this is.

Dont get it twisted, this is going to be an absolutely an amazing game and possibly the GOTY for 2024, but as good as that is.....it would have been better in VR (with VR being at the core of the mechanics) and we all know this.

I'm buying it 100% and this will probably be my GOTY, but I can't pretend and not extremely disappointed by this and that fucking sucks.
You also need to understand not everyone willing pay close to $800 to buy one game and more importantly not everyone can play VR without getting sick.

Last edited:

EruditeHobo

I just finished Playroom pretty recently... shocked how good through and through the game was, even though it felt like it was actively trying to get me to buy more official Sony Playstation™ products and peripherals.

So 1 year ago, I would not really care about this. But now, definitely interested. Will for sure be jumping back in.

kungfuian

Just a reminder, so far this gen Sony has given us 4 of these types of platformers, all of which have been great IMO!

Astro Playroom

astros_playroom_screenshot_09.jpg

Sackboy: A Big Adventure

ede73a7b-aa52-40af-ba0f-d4ed08bab301_SABA_SCREENSHOT_ACTION_PR_003.jpg

Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart

ratchet-rift-apart-warmonger.jpg

And next up the newest AstroBot

astro-bot-rescue-mission.png

Hopefully they sell well enough and Sony Keeps the Colorful platformers a commin! Love these types of games so much!

kungfuian

The PS5 Pro devkit is identical to the current PS5 devkit so stands to reason they could be the same size in the end

Edit - Even Eurogamer asks the question and I imagine they too know what a PS5 looks like without the plates

We've all been playing games enough to deduce that the PS5 here has been broken, is missing it's wings, and has to be restored to it's full spaceship glory as seen with the PS Hardware fleet later in the trailer.

Last edited:

JCreasy

Dont forget Sony has a patent that will allow multiple users to share one controllers input. Like a student driver car with two streering wheels. Maybe you can secretly play along without them noticing....

secret smell GIF

Oh shit! That is something I will DEFINITELY take advantage of!

sachos

PS5 Pro secret launch title anyone? It was an amazing trailer, so glad Team Asobi got the chance to do a full game. Sad about seemingly no PSVR2 mode. It looks like the cameo characters are more important now rather than just references. It feels weird that they continue with the theme of Playstation gadgets and consoles, makes it feel like a demo rather than a full game. I wonder how they will explain it in game.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member

I'm buying it 100% and this will probably be my GOTY, but I can't pretend I'm not extremely disappointed by this and that fucking sucks.

VR does add the immersion factor which is really amazing, but there's no reason this can't be equally as good (but different).

Be thankful we got a big VR title when we did. It's an absolute fucking shame they won't port the original over to PSVR2

Making this a PS5 title will allow the studio to capture great sales and keep them growing, which may lead to more VR stuff in the future. This is only a good thing and an obvious choice.

Last edited:
Sony better advertise the heck out of this game. I'm talking commercials everywhere and Astro McDonald's happy meal toys.
Astro Bot is more marketable than Sackboy. I wonder if they have the balls to put considerable marketing money into it.
PS5 Pro secret launch title anyone?
I think that’s Horizon Ray Traced Lego. Probably announcement this summer.
It feels weird that they continue with the theme of Playstation gadgets and consoles, makes it feel like a demo rather than a full game. I wonder how they will explain it in game.
It’s supposed to be like “Wreck it Ralph”/“Space Jam”. The game characters and hardware are sentient.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Glad it's coming out soon. My whole family loves Astro's Playroom and it still gets played so we'll be picking this up right away.

Švejk

Banned
I don't think people need to worry too much about VR. Gut is telling me they're working on a VR implementation or RM 2 also. Too many haptic DS features to utilize in VR for them not to take advantage of. This will not be the last we see of Astro Bot for VR.

Boss Mog

Day 1. I feel like they might add PSVR2 support down the line cause the levels reminded me more of Rescue Mission than Playroom. I could be wrong though.

midnightAI

Astro Bot is more marketable than Sackboy. I wonder if they have the balls to put considerable marketing money into it.

I think that’s Horizon Ray Traced Lego. Probably announcement this summer.

It’s supposed to be like “Wreck it Ralph”/“Space Jam”. The game characters and hardware are sentient.
Sony better advertise the heck out of this game. I'm talking commercials everywhere and Astro McDonald's happy meal toys.
You mean like this....

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Holy shit that looked SO GOOD.

It’s so rare to see a non-Nintendo 3D platformer with so much polish and creativity. I’m such a sucker for 3D platformers, and this one just looks so fun. I can’t wait!

Yep I know some Nintendo fans who are crazy for Astro Bot too, they say its EAD quality.

I played both VR and the PS5 game and I like it a ton. I prefer non-VR probably.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I see they’ve finally worked out how to copy Nintendo‘s art style. If you replaced the bot with Mario it would look exactly like a Nintendo game.

Top Bottom