• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone else lack motivation to start The Witcher 3? I played it on release for about 30h, and have tried picking it up every couple of month since then, I don't know what it is with that game, I boot it up, realise I'm in the middle of nowhere and loose all motivation to continue.

I got all the way through W3 but I do sometimes struggle with really long games, I just run out of energy. Still haven't finished Pillars and all I have left is the boss at the bottom of the endless dungeon and the last few hours of the main story. I also almost finished DA:I then put it down for more than 6 months and eventually finished it in one night.

Other games I'm a long way into and then just stopped: Banner Sage, Alien Isolation, Victor Vran, F4, Far Cry 3, I Shall Remain, Crookz, Evil Within and I see Talos Principle becoming the next added to the list!

r1chard

Sorry, missed this on the previous page:
Thanks for the advice. Are these sort of things only prevalent in the touristy locations? Also whats the best way to access your bank account while overseas? All the options I've seen are full of fees and shitty exchange rates
For cash, you're pretty much always going to be screwed by a bad exchange rate with some additional fee on top.Basically, if your card has a Plus or Cirrus logo on it you're set. Most ATMs around the world interop with one or both of those (since they're basically the Visa and Mastercard networks).

For credit, the Bankwest Zero Platinum Mastercard is annual fee free and has very competitive exchange rates, without a foreign exchange fee for every transaction. I recommend it to people even for online shopping :)

When I was in Egypt I used a credit card from GE Money. Don't remember the kind but it had no currency conversion fee.

And yeah what I said is probably only true for touristy areas. Except for water.

How was the cost of living over there? The thing is I'm planning on staying a long time over there to do some studying.
Sorry, missed this on the previous page:

For cash, you're pretty much always going to be screwed by a bad exchange rate with some additional fee on top.Basically, if your card has a Plus or Cirrus logo on it you're set. Most ATMs around the world interop with one or both of those (since they're basically the Visa and Mastercard networks).

For credit, the Bankwest Zero Platinum Mastercard is annual fee free and has very competitive exchange rates, without a foreign exchange fee for every transaction. I recommend it to people even for online shopping :)

I thought as much. Thanks for the help. I really hope the Australian dollar becomes strong again. It seems to be doing okay-ish these few days..

dity

How was the cost of living over there? The thing is I'm planning on staying a long time over there to do some studying.
I was only there for two weeks so I have no idea about utilities or anything like that, but I don't remember food or drink being too expensive. Shouldn't be too expensive unless you're doing touristy things?

I was only there for two weeks so I have no idea about utilities or anything like that, but I don't remember food or drink being too expensive. Shouldn't be too expensive unless you're doing touristy things?

I guess it can't be worse than the cost of living here.. I hope. Although if I do run out of money I guess I can always go mug some tourist or sell dodgy water ಠ_ಠ

Chest pain sucks. I over exerted myself picking up a 40kg lab the other week and the muscles around my left side are all swollen and painful. It's hard to breathe. Been to the doctor the day after the pain got too unbearable and it got a lot better... Until this morning. Wake up for work, accidentally sneeze and bam. Back where I started :(

All at work though. Gotta get that public holiday moneyyyy

Chest pain sucks. I over exerted myself picking up a 40kg lab the other week and the muscles around my left side are all swollen and painful. It's hard to breathe. Been to the doctor the day after the pain got too unbearable and it got a lot better... Until this morning. Wake up for work, accidentally sneeze and bam. Back where I started :(

Oh yeah pulling chest muscles is the fucking worst, rest up and hopefully it comes good ASAP :(

Does anyone else lack motivation to start The Witcher 3? I played it on release for about 30h, and have tried picking it up every couple of month since then, I don't know what it is with that game, I boot it up, realise I'm in the middle of nowhere and loose all motivation to continue.
It's such a massive game that playing it is definitely a commitment. When you first get to Velen it can be overwhelming, since there are so damn many of those '?' points of interest all over the map, and you don't get fast travel options until you explore them. Plus you're unfamiliar with the land and the characters that inhabit it. But once you get over that hump, the game is amazing.

I think the main thing is to mix things up for yourself. You've got the main quests, gear finding quests, Witcher contracts (my favourites), exploration of the countryside/points of interest, Gwent, etc... if one is becoming boring then try something else to change it up :)

The beauty of the Witcher 3 is that nothing feels like it's been thrown in as 'busy work'; every quest (even the smallest side quest) feels unique, with its own story to tell (and usually with its own little self-contained story arc).

dity

Shit that happened to me a month ago. Felt like I was being grabbed from the inside of my chest for days.

Chuckle-worthy read from Kotaku here, even if I was baited only because I thought it was from Serrels.

This made me wonder: How long have any of you guys gone without playing a video game (since becoming a 'gamer')?

Being pretty young with not but casual work, relationships and education tethering me from complete absorption and then assimilation with my favorite games, I've had admittedly tonnes of time to game so I've probably not gone more than, I dunno, a week or so without playing something. Anyone taken any leaves of absence from the gaming scene for whatever reason?

Chuckle-worthy read from Kotaku here, even if I was baited only because I thought it was from Serrels.

This made me wonder: How long have any of you guys gone without playing a video game (since becoming a 'gamer')?

Being pretty young with not but casual work, relationships and education tethering me from complete absorption and then assimilation with my favorite games, I've had admittedly tonnes of time to game so I've probably not gone more than, I dunno, a week or so without playing something. Anyone taken any leaves of absence from the gaming scene for whatever reason?

I didn't play Division on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday & Saturday and got the shakes pretty bad. Binged last night hard and again today. Feels good.

Seriously though I think my last big absence was when last gen went on too long and I dipped my toe into PC gaming for a while. The sheer amount of titles in my Steam backlog put me off for ages for some reason, until GTA5 I think. Black Flag was in there somewhere too. Otherwise just when I was super depressed I wouldn't play video games.

Dryk

I went most of this week without PC/console gaming but I usually get 15-40 minutes of handheld gaming in on the bus every weekday so I dunno. Having so much more social shit to go to since my ex and I broke up has certainly made me adjust to not having time to play games more often.

Kritz

Banned
Even with a 9-5 and multiple other commitments, I still try and find an hour a day to play games. More on weekends.

From my cold dead hands, adulthood.

Jintor

it would probably take a really good book or something to tear me away from gaming and even then I think now that I have a lot of picross around I'm always... playing... picross

Deeku

Well I haven't really played much of anything since bingeing on MGS5 end of last year so....lol!

Next binge is gonna be Dark Souls 3 I reckon!

Cerity

I think maybe a week or two without games, tops? When I was binge watched those korean variety monsters. Other than that, even on on holidays I've had my phone or handhelds nearby. I do get into periods where I play less games as a whole but even then I jump between games until I find something that hooks me.

Waiting on Hyper Light Drifter and Dark Souls 3 atm.

can't remember the last time i played games
there's a chance in january i played a game or two of mariokart/supersmash/something on the wii u with my little brothers but if not it was sometime last year i reckon

I think maybe a week or two without games, tops? When I was binge watched those korean variety monsters. Other than that, even on on holidays I've had my phone or handhelds nearby. I do get into periods where I play less games as a whole but even then I jump between games until I find something that hooks me.

Waiting on Hyper Light Drifter and Dark Souls 3 atm.

Which korean variety? running man? infinite challenge or??

Kritz

Banned
by the way does someone else want to do the ausgaf 12 thread

i don't really contribute nearly enough to these things :)

also, thread titlez?

Cerity

Which korean variety? running man? infinite challenge or??

Pretty much the main three, Running Man, Infinite Challenge and 1 night 2 days. Started from the beginning of Running Man and the beginning of S3 of 1N2D, from about ep 150 of IC and caught up to the most recent episodes of each over Christmas and the new year. Was a pretty solid 2-3 weeks.

Only really following 1N2D at this stage though, the last couple trips have been great.

Pretty much the main three, Running Man, Infinite Challenge and 1 night 2 days. Started from the beginning of Running Man and the beginning of S3 of 1N2D, from about ep 150 of IC and caught up to the most recent episodes of each over Christmas and the new year. Was a pretty solid 2-3 weeks.

Only really following 1N2D at this stage though, the last couple trips have been great.

that is indeed a pretty solid few weeks haha
I started watching running man and infinite challenge last year and probably watched 30-40 of rm and maybe 10-15 of ic. got bored of them after a while. Never tried 1 day 2 nights though. Will have to give it a go

I would 'do' next AusGaf thread but am still green and don't want to stick my neck out least I'm tarred and feathered for a sub-par job lol. That said:

AusGAF 12 - Roster for Prime Minister-ship attached, double check your shift

latest

Rizzi

Hey, do any of you guys need a code for the Wii U Hyrule Warriors DLC stuff? I'm assuming the code that came with the 3DS version will only work with the Australian eShop, so I'm asking here first.

MoonGred

What's worse is when you see people talking about how Australian they are but they never come to this thread

They've been scared off by the questionnaire.

Also we tend to rant on about random stuff which I can imagine making it hard for new people to just jump in.

Well here's something I wasn't aware of, ABS (stats bureau) wants to retain all our census data starting this year e.g. name, address, income, who lives with us etc.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/anna-johnston/why-you-might-want-to-bec_b_9482660.html

Potential for hacks, fraud, agency sharing etc. Can't say I'm liking it.

In the week before Christmas last year, the Australian Bureau of Statistics quietly trashed your privacy. We have only a few months to claim it back.

In December 2015, the ABS announced its plans to collect and keep the name and address of every person in Australia, starting with the August 2016 census. They then plan to use your name and address to link your census answers to other sets of data, like health and educational records, so that the ABS can do things like "(understand) and support ... people who require mental health services".

This proposal represents the most significant and intrusive collection of identifiable data about you, me, and every other Australian, that has ever been attempted. It will allow the ABS to build up, over time, a rich and deep picture of every Australian's life, in an identifiable form.

Up until now, the name and address portion of census forms was not retained by the ABS; just as soon as the rest of your census answers were transcribed, the paper forms were destroyed.

But the new proposal is to keep name and address, as well as your answers to all the Census questions included this year, such as sex, age, marital status, indigenous status, religious affiliation, income, education level, ancestry, language spoken at home, occupation, work address, previous home address, vehicles garaged at your address, and the relationships between people living in the same home.

Darren870

Has anyone gone to any of the Comedy Shows in Melbourne so far for the festival? I've been to about 20 shows now, pretty much just spent the whole weekend at comedy shows.

Fredescu

We could make the thread title just "AusGAF" without numbers or subtitles, kind of a reference to how a lot of games series do that and we have to say silly shit like "Need for Speed (2015)" or "Prince of Persia (2008)". Someone in the future will have to reference this thread and they'll say "in the old AusGAF thread" and then someone else will be like "which old AusGAF thread?" "AusGAF" they will reply, and it will be briefly amusing.

jambo

We could make the thread title just "AusGAF" without numbers or subtitles, kind of a reference to how a lot of games series do that and we have to say silly shit like "Need for Speed (2015)" or "Prince of Persia (2008)". Someone in the future will have to reference this thread and they'll say "in the old AusGAF thread" and then someone else will be like "which old AusGAF thread?" "AusGAF" they will reply, and it will be briefly amusing.

From IRC/Steam chat

[11:05:14] <@jambo|work> just do what EA does and have AusGAF
[11:05:16] <@jambo|work> no number

EUXLywT.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom