• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm going to get this case (http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=15892) and this power supply (http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=12918).

I'm looking for recommendations on two things:

Cooling options and GPU.

I want a decent card that can play most recent games at 60fps, or at least a locked 30, at 1680x1050. Any recommendations?

Also, I suppose as far as cooling goes I'll need a CPU fan and maybe a case fan? I'm a bit clueless.

Card Boy

Banned
So I'm going to get this case (http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=15892) and this power supply (http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=12918).

Cooling options and GPU.

I want a decent card that can play most recent games at 60fps, or at least a locked 30, at 1680x1050. Any recommendations?

Also, I suppose as far as cooling goes I'll need a CPU fan and maybe a case fan? I'm a bit clueless.

Whats your price range on the GPU?

For cooling options i say just get a case with 3 fans in it. I got a 5870 and have never had an issue with cooling. The CM HAF 912 should be good enough.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'd like to keep it under three hundred, could be convinced otherwise.

markot

Banned
Whats like the quietest case that can fit a big ass video card? I hate noise!

Also is the HT worth it to get the i7 over and i5?

Also, does anything use usb3? It seems like the uptake is slow >.<

Card Boy

Banned
I'd like to keep it under three hundred, could be convinced otherwise.

Here is a comparison between GTX 570 vs. 6970 and 6950 vs. Radeon 5870

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/revie...5870-all-overclocked-review-introduction.html

Prices if you care (MSY)

1280M GTX570 Inno3D / Gigabyte / Asus - $334 / $369 / $377

1G 6950 HIS / Gigabyte / Asus // 2G 6950 Powercolor - $249 /$255 /$269 //$249

2G 6970 Powercolor - $342

Bang for you buck the 6950 seems like your best bet. But if you dont mind spending the extra cash the GTX570 is the best one judging from those comparisons, it also has less power consumption than the 6970.

I suggest you join the Whilrpool forums and ask in their build a PC section. They are always willing to help out.

midonnay

They're not horrid prices by any stretch, but 500gb isn't a lot with those speeds. Shit, I have a third of those speeds and can (have!) hit one or both of my on/off-peak 500gb quotas without raising a sweat.

they want you to use their online services

foxtel, bigpond movies etc. which are unmetered.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Excellent. Thanks for your help. Is there anything I should know about the specific brands? I mean the sub-brands, like Asus and the like.

Card Boy

Banned
Excellent. Thanks for your help. Is there anything I should know about the specific brands?

They are often overclocked differently from the 'stock' GPU's. Some may have different fans on them others may have different heat sinks. They often have a free game included on a brand by brand basis.

You probably didn't catch the edit, but yeah ask in the Whirlpool forums. They will help you out.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
They are often overclocked differently from the 'stock' GPU's. Some may have different fans on them others may have different heat sinks. They often have a free game included on a brand by brand basis.

You probably didn't catch the edit, but yeah ask in the Whirlpool forums. They will help you out.

Cheers!

Card Boy

Banned
Im just going to say one other thing.

VRAM may also be a consideration when chosing a GPU, modding Skyrim on Ultra settings or playing Battlefield 3 on max settings at 60FPS needs above 1 gig of VRAM. From memory BF3 needed like 1.4gig of VRAM to run maxed out at 60FPS at 1920x1080.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I have 4GB of memory at the moment, not sure I'll need to upgrade yet. There are some cheaper options for roughly $50 for 8GB, but it seems too good to be true.

jambo

Nope, DDR3 is dirt cheap atm. I grabbed 4GB for $29 not too long ago and it's been perfect.

If you're already ordering some stuff, you may as well chuck in some RAM, I doubt it'd increase the shipping cost.

Card Boy

Banned
I have 4GB of memory at the moment, not sure I'll need to upgrade yet. There are some cheaper options for roughly $50 for 8GB, but it seems too good to be true.

Ram is cheap these days.

$50 sounds about right for 8gig. I remember 2 years ago it was like 115 just for 4gig. Speaking of which i too am on 4gig of ram and need some more.

markot

Banned
It doesnt just come with BF3 though, it comes with ORIGIN too burn!

>.<

Whats the best cheap 1155 mb?

Thinking of getting a cheap mb and a 2500k to tide me over for awhile

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Ive resisted Origin, but hey, that card is the cheapest 570. Damn, looks like I might be biting. :)

Choc

Banned
chart.do

ASX reaction to JG staying

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
You can pick up a 6970 cheaper than a 570 if you look around. They are in terms really similar in performance, the 6970 will use less power. Of course you probably won't get BF3 with a 6970, So the 570 is actually decent because of that.

Here's another comparison link via anandtech - http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/292?vs=306

Here's a 6970 for $300 although i think it might be cash price? I got no idea. http://www.computeralliance.com.au/parts.aspx?qryPart=12410

The power supply is a good choice. Not sure about the case. I can't really have a look around since i'm at work and i haven't noticed Fred joining in on the recommendations. Hopefully I can have a quick look after work.

Also there isn't a major difference between brands. Most will use reference boards, Some will throw on their own cooling solution, Different warranty and crap in the box.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Pulling the trigger. Any objections, speak now!

Why right now? Wait another few hours until a few more PC ausgaffers come along to tune in.

We are all at work, working hard. Curse those uni bums with money and their impatience!! :D

And dollar values would still help with recommendations.

If you do need to pull the trigger and you're comfy with the choices then by all means, Don't let anyone stop you from spending $$$.

I used to own one of the CM690s, The original actually and it was a great case. I did however turn into paranoid parrot because of all the holes around the case which would allow dust to get in. So I personally try and go for super clean no holes cases. There's a few from fractal design that i've always thought looked nice. Not sure how the cooling performance is.

Again, It's all about what YOU want from the machine you will be using. Holes in cases for better airflow isn't a bad thing at all.

r1chard

chart.do

ASX reaction to JG staying

Or, possibly, ASX reaction to some bufferfly having a fart on the other side of the planet. Stock market. Notoriously reliable predictors of precisely jack-all.

Edit: nothing personal, I just react badly to people trying to read meaning into the random walk that is the stock market short-term movement.

Jintor

Why doesn't this lecture theatre have goddamn air conditioning? God damn!

Deek I'm taking JPS101. Taking a first year course in fourth year is like cheating, goddamn.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Heh. Didn't end up "pulling the trigger". Not yet.

Hey, if that case is better, I'll go with that one.

Thanks for all the help, guys. Invaluable.

Fredescu

Most gaming towers come with top fans these days.
If you're referring to my post, it has nothing to do with the top fan. The HAF 912 is designed so you can add shit on to it, and if you don't plan to do that, it doesn't look right and it's pretty easy to drop large sized shit into it given the holes are abnormally large. The CM690 II has a top fan too.

wonzo

Banned
So I'm going to get this case (http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...ducts_id=15892) and this power supply (http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...ducts_id=12918).

Cooling options and GPU.

fwiw i've got the exact same case and it's great! I'd recommend getting a 6970 but using ATI drivers really is a pain in the ass sometimes. As for CPU cooling this is supposedly the best bang for buck option, at least it was the last time I checked.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
A 570 with BF3 and some RAM is a pretty safe bet.

Yea for sure. He could go the extra vram though just to be on the more future proof safe side of things. Nothing wrong with either a 6970 or 570 though, Both are great last gen cards.

Not many cases have holes like this:

HAF_912_Top.JPG

Hey, My case has a giant fucking fan on the side which i've actually never used! While not that exact model, It's just the previous generations. Doesn't look like much has changed.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=25_733&products_id=11050

I've been thinking of trying the side fan since the GPU sits at 79c at full load. Wondering if it would drop the heat by much or just make my room even hotter causing the machine to get hotter.

Also Rez, No matter which card you get. It's going to sound like a jet is cruising along in your room while you game. If you turn the fans up to 70%+.

Fredescu

Hey, My case has a giant fucking fan on the side which i've actually never used! While not that exact model, It's just the previous generations. Doesn't look like much has changed.
The sides and the back aren't so bad. Having big holes in the top is just asking for shit to be dropped in there and get stuck in a fan or short something.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Liquid, Small bits of food etc. It can all drop in there.

I actually have 2 fans at the top as well, Luckily I have those babies covered with a dust filter along with the back fan. Makes a small difference in all the bloody dust the machine accumulates.

Top Bottom