• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
TX1VNn6.png

Fuck you, Rupert.

The election wasn't about either of those things.

markot

Banned
Wouldn't be surprised if libs went after the ABC, murdoch has been pretty pissy about publicly funded media recently.

legend166

You can't talk about waste and then half ass it. It's like renovating your house even though you know you'll need to demolish it and rebuild 5 years later. Do it properly or don't do it.

Isn't it more like building a new house, and deciding to just go with the first floor because that's enough for now, and then expanding later when you really need it?

They are only relying on copper for the final run. They are still building a FTTN network.

And hey, you can still pay for the fibre run to your house if you're that desperate.

Darklord

Banned
Governments do not win elections they lose them.

The new Prime Minister has won because the current government fought among themselves like cats and dogs. They backstabbed their leader twice and damaged the country and it's democracy along the way, in the end we had a totally unrepresentative government passing unpopular policies.

It's sad because our current PM Kevin Rudd (Who was backstabbed during his first term only to be brought back in when his backstabber took the party below 30% of the vote) will go out still as the prefered Prime Minister. His party however caused some of the worst moments in Australian political history and need a long time in opposition to reform themselves.

I saw this comment on another site, I think it's true. It's not that most people were fooled they were sick of Labor's bullshit.

Jintor

Anyone else want to make an OT thread? Rest of the world should know Australia has just flipped (official) political alignment.

Otherwise I will make one and fill it with salt.

strata8

Isn't it more like building a new house, and deciding to just go with the first floor because that's enough for now, and then expanding later when you really need it?

More like building the first floor, then discovering later that you have to rebuild half of it if you want to build a second.

FTTN can be upgraded to FTTP in the future. But it'll be more expensive than if you had just built FTTP in the first place.

markot

Banned
They backstabbed their leader twice and damaged the country and it's democracy along the way, in the end we had a totally unrepresentative government passing unpopular policies.
What utter shit.

vanty

They are only relying on copper for the final run. They are still building a FTTN network.

And hey, you can still pay for the fibre run to your house if you're that desperate.

Doesn't it make more sense to build a two storey house for $500k than a one story for $400k then add the second ten years later for another $300k? 'Do it right the first time' and everything.

What utter shit.

No you see all those elected representatives were actually completely unrepresentative of the people they were legitimately elected to represent because I voted for Kevin Rudd and not Julia Gillard so when one was made leader of the Labor Party over the other it was a complete bait and switch even though we don't vote for the Prime Minister and I don't live in either of their electorates and basically I don't know or care about how our system works and am just going to misrepresent it for my own benefit

Doesn't it make more sense to build a two storey house for $500k than a one story for $400k then add the second ten years later for another $300k? 'Do it right the first time' and everything.

It does make sense. However it kind of breaks down when you start talking about projects in the $50 billion+ range.

At that point, why are we really arguing about what costs more and by how much? Any figure is as stupid and made up as the other.

The Liberals will not change much, so don't stress. They'll do a review, maybe change the name and then it'll be business as usual. They have been in opposition remember, it is their job to look at everything the government is doing and say "nope that is wrong, this is better". That will change when they actually have to do something and Labor will be doing exactly the same thing in reverse soon.

I can't believe my state is looking like electing Clive Palmer to the House of Representatives. His policy document consists mainly of populist ideas implemented by MAGIC , and an understanding of taxation that when rendered down mean the best tax system ever would be only having a 100% GST and no other tax, which the government promptly gives back to you, so you can spend it again, so the government has infinite revenue.

I wonder if I can move to Melbourne.

It does make sense. However it kind of breaks down when you start talking about projects in the $50 billion+ range.

At that point, why are we really arguing about what costs more and by how much? Any figure is as stupid and made up as the other.

The Liberals will not change much, so don't stress. They'll do a review, maybe change the name and then it'll be business as usual. They have been in opposition remember, it is their job to look at everything the government is doing and say "nope that is wrong, this is better". That will change when they actually have to do something and Labor will be doing exactly the same thing in reverse soon.

You're right that they change tune fast though, about 3 seconds after Abbot's victory speech, Labor was talking about having a good economy.

I'm still not overly hopeful about the NBN, they spent a LOT of time publicly trashing it and they've basically committed themselves to a surplus by the next election, so they'll be slashing and privatizing anything they can.

Darklord

Banned
No you see all those elected representatives were actually completely unrepresentative of the people they were legitimately elected to represent because I voted for Kevin Rudd and not Julia Gillard so when one was made leader of the Labor Party over the other it was a complete bait and switch even though we don't vote for the Prime Minister and I don't live in either of their electorates and basically I don't know or care about how our system works and am just going to misrepresent it for my own benefit

An entire party having a bitch fight between themselves, having reelections, hung parliaments, then more bitch fighting, then the PM changing again, then half of the others leave along with her, then another election. Yeah, that's pretty fucked up and it hurts business and makes everyone feel unsure and not confident about them. Remember, these idiots and morons you think were fooled voted Rudd in last time by a lot, and then Gilard got in(just). Everyone acts like Australia is just full of right wing nutters.

Shaneus

Today I learned that my mind somehow needs to take a deep breath once every so often. That's some "oh god I'm so high" shit right there. But I'm sober :/

I saw this comment on another site, I think it's true. It's not that most people were fooled they were sick of Labor's bullshit.

If you really think that's true you have been fooled.

"in the end we had a totally unrepresentative government passing unpopular policies."
One person in 72 changing position makes a whole government unrepresentative? what the fuck is this?

or basically this

The main reason their policies were unpopular was vested interests.

"His party however caused some of the worst moments in Australian political history"

Hahaha

Irony of all the mothers who would of voted for liberals as labor put them on newstart, will soon be forced to do work for the dole, which is 500 times worse for them.

SCANNERS.gif

I find it quite interesting even with Rupert and various Mining Magnates spending and donating countless money and press, the libs improved there vote by about 1.8%. In total the Greens and Labor lost between 7.5-8.0%. So of the people pissed at the lefter wing parties, 3/4 thought Abbott was shit and voted for someone in the other category. Simplistic, but still telling.

Once the champagne wears off at Lib HQ, I imagine the post mortem will seriously think about Abbott's popularity as leader and why he couldn't deliver a better result against the "worst goverment in the history of all time and stuff." Hockey and Turnbull on one side will already be postitioning themselves and on the other the Labor party will quickly realise Abbott will be vunerable next time around. 3-6 years at most.

markot

Banned
Fucking cuntlers...

The 'animal justice party' is pretending the liberals over the greens in the act....
The greens who are pretty much an animal justice party already, versus the libs who dont give a damn.

And they got 1%... More then enough to give it to the greens.

I knew something was fishy amor them.... probably just John Howard dressed like a hippy.

An entire party having a bitch fight between themselves, having reelections, hung parliaments, then more bitch fighting, then the PM changing again, then half of the others leave along with her, then another election. Yeah, that's pretty fucked up and it hurts business and makes everyone feel unsure and not confident about them. Remember, these idiots and morons you think were fooled voted Rudd in last time by a lot, and then Gilard got in(just). Everyone acts like Australia is just full of right wing nutters.

I'm not saying Labor are great. I don't vote Labor. They messed up what was a pretty good thing multiple times over the last few years (with a little lot of help from our mate Murdoch) and pretty much deserved what came to them tonight..

I'm just saying that calling them an "unrepresentative government" is wrong when those elected were obviously representative of the people or else they wouldn't have been elected in the first place.

magenta

The contracts for NBN has already been signed. According to my landlord (lead engineer for the NBN in my local area) there is not much the Libs can do at this point. The least they can do is make the user pay for the installation of the last mile.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I find it quite interesting even with Rupert and various Mining Magnates spending and donating countless money and press, the libs improved there vote by about 1.8%. In total the Greens and Labor lost between 7.5-8.0%. So of the people pissed at the lefter wing parties, 3/4 thought Abbott was shit and voted for someone in the other category. Simplistic, but still telling.

It is interesting, and telling of the LNP's negativity campaign working but not necessarily selling Abbot as a PM.

DeSo

Banned
Do it! Everyone come down here, we're awesome. Although if you do, then more fuckwits will be voted in up north.

We need to do this shit to QLD:
tumblr_mpwlznMPEa1rwttbfo1_400.gif
WTF did QLD do, we had the least swing to the LNP, stop it.

Oh, Palmer.

The guy is a psycho. Don't blame a state for his shit.

WTF did QLD do, we had the least swing to the LNP, stop it.

Oh, Palmer.

The guy is a psycho. Don't blame a state for his shit.

It looks like we've elected HIM into the House and given him a Senator. I'm pretty sure we need to be held accountable for that.

PirateKing

How long are we gonna pay for over priced slow as shit Internet?
Honest question, which third world countries have faster Internet than us?

The contracts for NBN has already been signed. According to my landlord (lead engineer for the NBN in my local area) there is not much the Libs can do at this point. The least they can do is make the user pay for the installation of the last mile.

That's a pretty big most they can do. The price for that last time I checked was $5000 , which is substantially out of the reach of a lot people on the kind of notice the are likely to get.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
It looks like we've elected HIM into the House and given him a Senator. I'm pretty sure we need to be held accountable for that.

He'd probably get in anywhere.

That's what I'm going to tell myself.

edit:
Is there a way to get an individual booth breakdown?

How long are we gonna pay for over priced slow as shit Internet?
Honest question, which third world countries have faster Internet than us?

Welp, judging by what happened tonight, I'll go with 3-6 years. If they decide to privatize the NBN by selling it to Telstra or Newscorp: Forever.

Bishop89

244.gif

Senate looks a mess.

This might be what we need to get a reasonable reform passed though. The LNP got hurt by the Liberal Democrats getting column A in one of the states. The Greens are in favour. Labor would probably go for it at the moment. The right wing minor parties wouldn't, but this is something that would probably pass the current senate with a bit of negotiation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom