• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australian Open 2017 OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllGamer

I'm happy for Federer. It's hard to get really excited though, knowing what's coming. Already mentally preparing myself for top spin balls to Roger's backhand all day long.

y2jIo9dq.png

Believe me I will happily eat crow if Dimitrov manages to beat Nadal lol. I just don't see it happening though.

It'd be a massive anti-climax if Dmitrov won. Aussie crowd would just be routing for Fed to get his 18th than some random who gatecrashed the Fedal final party. In recent years, I'd always route for Nadal in his match-ups against Federer, but these days I just want to see an epic match. I'd much rather watch Fed win it in 5 than Nadal cruise to a straight set victory. And I'm a shameless Nadal fanboy.

It'll be a nice bookend to their rivalry, as this is pretty much the last hurrah for them. The stars have aligned about as they could to make this possible. They no longer rule the game, they've been surpassed, but here we are, one match away from it happening again. Don't screw this up, Rafa.

JBwB

It'd be a massive anti-climax if Dmitrov won. Aussie crowd would just be routing for Fed to get his 18th than some random who gatecrashed the Fedal final party. In recent years, I'd always route for Nadal in his match-ups against Federer, but these days I just want to see an epic match. I'd much rather watch Fed win it in 5 than Nadal cruise to a straight set victory. And I'm a shameless Nadal fanboy.

It'll be a nice bookend to their rivalry, as this is pretty much the last hurrah for them. The stars have aligned about as they could to make this possible. They no longer rule the game, they've been surpassed, but here we are, one match away from it happening again. Don't screw this up, Rafa.

Yeah part of me wants Dimitrov to win simply because it means that Federer will get his 18th.

On the other hand... I do really want to see another epic match between the two. I still remember the 2008 Wimbledon final.

clemenx

Banned
Have people actually watched Dimitrov this year? It's easy to discount him due to previous seasons but he's at a great level.

I'm not saying he'll win but it will probably be a close match and not a stomp like most are predicting here.

It just proves that Federer-Nadal is THE biggest tennis match possibly ever, it captures people's imaginations more than any other. It's box office and a great story. People want to watch history.

Peru

Why do you say that?

I'm a big Fed fan. Love to see him challenge a slam final again. Cool to see Nadal still kicking too.

But even early in this tournament people (I think even Roddick) were saying stuff like "a Federer - Nadal final would be the biggest thing for the sport in years" .

The real big thing would be if anyone could take their place in terms of interesting, captivating rivalry at the top of the game. It seems like a big part of the tennis scene and 'fandom' still live on Fedal nostalgia alone.

I'm a big Fed fan. Love to see him challenge a slam final again. Cool to see Nadal still kicking too.

But even early in this tournament people (I think even Roddick) were saying stuff like "a Federer - Nadal final would be the biggest thing for the sport in years" .

The real big thing would be if anyone could take their place in terms of interesting, captivating rivalry at the top of the game. It seems like a big part of the tennis scene and 'fandom' still live on Fedal nostalgia alone.

It is because people realise this is probably the last chance to ever see a Fedeer-Nadal Slam final again and something that was completely unexpected. It isn't that people only care to see that match and nothing else but it is something no one thought possible to happen again, which captures people's imagination, like the Williams Sisters final.

Clegg

i don't want it at all.
it's a better story than a match.

the match will be ugly and quick.

Baby Fed vs Fed could be quite cool.
Fed is 5-0 against Domitrov and 4 of those were straight set victories. That particular match up would be no less ugly and quick as you seem to think Fed/Nadal will be. If given the choice most people would prefer to see to of the all time greats in one last final.

Yeah, the pundits tendency for idiotic hyperbole has always been a mild irritant when watching matches. The sport has done fine without Nadal and Federer in recent years. Djokovic has been incredible and wrote a new chapter in the history of the sport and Murray has done well enough to hang in there and grab another Wimbledon. Being a Brit, that was great to watch.

Personally, the Nadal/Federer rivalry re-ignited my love of the sport, so to have this almost drop in my lap, years past their prime and to have another final with them, is less to do with nostalgia, but more bittersweet in that they don't have many years left in the game, much less actually winning slams, so to have one last final from them would be a good send-off for their rivalry. It's not as important to the sport as it was when they were one and two, but like Sampras and Agassi in 2001 at the US Open, they've almost earned one last duel with each other. Otherwise, the sport has done fine without them at the top. Watching Murray come to prominence in the last year has been great fun, as a fellow Brit, and, despite my indifference to Djokovic, the dude is just incredible and to see him raise the level even further is why I still watch tennis.

Of course, before we start counting our chickens, Nadal has to beat Dimitrov for that to happen, and if he doesn't, I hope Grigor can earn his place as the gate-crasher to the Fedal party, and win or lose, some tennis fans something special in the final. Nobody wants the gatecrasher to fold in three sets.

Either final matchup has a really low chance of being better than the Fed - Stan semi. Imo.

The last really great Fedal slam match was probably the 2009 Aus. Open. Despite Federer fading in the fifth, it was probably more enjoyable, in terms of quality, to watch than the Wimbledon final. It's just that the story behind that 2008 final and the dramatic victory in fading light gave it this mythology that transcended the actual tennis. It kind of does and doesn't deserve it's popular mantle of being the "greatest tennis match of all-time.", if you get what I mean.

It's time to step up and fulfil your destiny dimitrov.

Mark my words, Dimitrov, if you blow this party we're about to have, you better show up in the final and make Fed earn that 18th title.

JBwB

Hmm... I might take back what I said about Dimitrov. He might actually have a chance at beating Rafa.

I had no idea that he won Brisbane, beating 3 top 10 players back to back in the process. That's pretty damn impressive for him.

Hmm... I might take back what I said about Dimitrov. He might actually have a chance at beating Rafa.

I had no idea that he won Brisbane, beating 3 top 10 players back to back in the process. That's pretty damn impressive for him.

Yeah, if you've not been paying attention, it could escape you that the dude has earned his place in the SF and has been playing great tennis since the beginning of the year. 10 match winning streak and all that. I didn't realise, until I read it yesterday. So, it's not a done deal. In that SF against Djokovic at Wimbledon, he really should have took him to a fifth, blowing three sets points at 6-3 up in the tie-break. He's never been the same since.

If you want to know why people route for the old guard so much when it comes to slam finals, just look up at Raonic in the 2016 Wimbledon final. So many wanted Fed to win, but the guy gatecrashed the party and.....didn't show up. Murray dismantled him in three sets. It's why I have so much time for the immense talents of Wawrinka. That guy shows up in slam finals and is 3 for 3 against a pair that have won 26 slams between them.

I also feel obligated to make you all feel sad, because I've just remembered him as I was typing this, but let's all remember Del Potro. It's a little heartbreaking watching injuries take down a guy who should have at least 3 slams by now. I miss that guy so much. He never gets a break.

noshten

Personally I'm not that impressed by Rafa, Raonic is historically a very easy opponent for Rafa. Raonic only scored his second victory over the Spaniard this year in Brisbane on his way to a loss from Dimitrov in the semis.

I'm not sure if Rafa is going to win easily against Grigor, unless Grigor once again fails to live up to the occasion. I think in his current form he should be a very uncomfortable opponent for Rafa. I also expect Dimitrov to be the physically fresher of the two. The good thing about Dimitrov is that there seem to be this expectation for a Fedal final thus there is less pressure on him in the semi. I think the final between Dimitrov and Fed would be more entertaining - I'm tired of watching Fed lose to Nadal.

Tekniqs

I wonder if Fed having low expectations for himself in this tournament made him play more "free" per se and has brought him the success of getting to the GS finals...
Similar to a climber trying out a route for 9 weeks putting pressure on himself. Decides to give it a try even tho he feels weaker and doesn't feel like he can do it at that particular time. No pressure and ease of mind and ends up finishing the route.

Perhaps this can continue with Federer in the finals. Historically he's come up short more times than not against Nadal. Maybe a more "free" Federer gets the job done.

Dimitrov definitely has a chance against Nadal and Federer. Even at his peak Nadal has always been vulnerable on hard courts and he is not even close to his best. Dimitrov has been in great form and could definitely trouble Nadal.

Likewise I think he could give Fed a run for his money if he makes the final. In recent years Fed has struggled with the pressure of finals matches and after today I don't see this tournament as being any different.

I think the question is how Dimitrov handles the pressure. If he plays as well as he has been he could win he whole thing. However he had little experience in big games like this and the players he's facing have all the experience in the world. I think he is probably in better form than Nadal but I still think he's going to lose partly for that reason.

I just hope whatever combination the final is that we don't get a walkover result.

jett

D-Member
People rooting for dimitrov over the chance of possibly seeing the last GS fedal final ever.

TennisGAF is weird as fuck sometimes.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
People rooting for dimitrov over the chance of possibly seeing the last GS fedal final ever.

TennisGAF is weird as fuck sometimes.

Panicked Fed fans hoping Dimitrov can do the dirty work.

Panicked Fed fans hoping Dimitrov can do the dirty work.

That doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. If he's good enough to bit Rafa he should be good enough to beat Fed , if Rafa was going to walk all over Fed, no ?

(Having typed that, I am now feeling deeply aware that because an opinion doesn't make sense doesn't mean people don't hold it.)

That doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. If he's good enough to bit Rafa he should be good enough to beat Fed , if Rafa was going to walk all over Fed, no ?

(Having typed that, I am now feeling deeply aware that because an opinion doesn't make sense doesn't mean people don't hold it.)

Styles make fights. I think Nadal is going to get into his grove and beat them both. I think Dimitrov has the better chance. But same problem, once a rally begins Nadal will just pin them both back to their one handed backhands.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

Dimitrov had a fine record of choking in finals, though. Not to mention Nadal is an especially bad match for Federer, so even if Dimitrov is playing at a higher level than Nadal, he'd still probably be an easier opponent for Federer just based on style.

hamchan

You're all sad for wanting perhaps one of the last Federer-Nadal grand slam final matches as they reach the twilight of their careers, one of the greatest rivalries ever seen in the sport of Tennis.

SAD

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I wouldn't call a 11-23 overall record and a 2-9 record in grand slams matches a "rivalry". Nadal will crush Fed with the way he gains momentum in the later rounds.

Still, it will be an absolute treat to watch two of the greatest play for it all again for what might be the final time.

See Zverev beating Murray then being steamrolled by Federer. Plenty of players can have the game of their lives then choke next round.

noshten

Personally I prefer Dimitrov to beat both and win his first Slam, I honestly expect Nadal to beat Fed regardless of form and I've never liked Nadal's style of tennis.

Dispatch

you just know it, topspin forehands to Fed's backhand all day

Now, I haven't seen an entire Nadal Australian Open match this year, but it doesn't look like he's getting the same insane spin or depth to his forehands as he once did. That extra day of rest would help Federer, too.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Now, I haven't seen an entire Nadal Australian Open match this year, but it doesn't look like he's getting the same insane spin or depth to his forehands as he once did. That extra day of rest would help Federer, too.

He's generating good spin, his problem has more been depth. I don't think he has quite the forehand power to do both depth of court and high spin at the same time, he's had to pick one or the other so far. I don't know whether that makes much difference though, because Federer never had problem reaching Nadal's shots, just doing anything useful with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom