• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australian Open 2017 OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

clemenx

Banned
I see hope for Fed, at least. As always it will depend in his serve.

Olderer sometimes has the best serve in the tour and sometimes he's first serving in the 30% range which will kill him. He needs to be at the top of his game with it from the go.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

Olderer sometimes has the best serve in the tour and sometimes he's first serving in the 30% range which will kill him. He needs to be at the top of his game with it from the go.

Yeah, Nadal's RoS had always been one of the weaker components of his game, and Federer's serve is better now than it was in his heyday and the height of their rivalry. If Federer can bot like he did in the frankly insane Wimbledon 2015 SF, he has a chance.

Dimitrov just can't take his chances. If you want to beat the big 4 these are the chances you have to take.

Yeah but the games where his serve falls apart is always in the big matches against the top players. If he comes up against Nadal his first serve will struggle under the pressure.

noshten

This is going to be a long match
Dimitrov needed so many opportunities but at least he is creating them. He just needs to be more confident in his game and the match is in his hands.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Terrible set. Really chokey play by both. Might be a long one, this. Got to say Federer's chances are looking better and better.

JBwB

I don't see Dimitrov winning the match unless he takes this set.

Nadal needs to up the ante. Both aren't really playing well at all to be honest.

spuckthew

Dimitrov played better than Nadal that set, but they both played like crap with double-faults and wonky plays all over the place. Dimitrov held it better in the end.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
It must suck as a Player that Nadal only seems to hit great serves in break points.

He's a lefty, his serve is favoured on ad points. Left handed players have a statistically significant advantage on break points.

Well sure, on a sunny day, with light fast balls, and a fast court, Feds serve is perfect, and he can still serve most people off the court. The problem is those conditions are rare, and the game is pretty damned slow, relatively speaking.

When it's slower, then Fed has to hit it with greater raquet head speed to make up for that, and that's when he starts making many errors. You can see it in Wimbledon, the difference between sunny and rainy overcast weather to Feds serve. Night and day. The difference between victory and defeat, many times.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
This match is high on drama, but so low on quality.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Dimitrov needs a sports psychiatrist, stat.

Can you get a MTO for mental injuries?

oti

Banned
gvHlJfN.gif

I don't think Nadal's record against Federer would count for much, he just isn't that player now. I can see Federer in 3.

Hopefully not though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom