• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australian Open 2017 OT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Venus has to see her sister with loads of admiration. theyve completely transformed the sport and progressed the black image in ways most athletes dream. Given so much hope to little black girls and black people in general. Coming into the snooty white sport with such power and unabashed blackness has to feel like a win every time.

The match may have been boring but in this already shitty year, it felt incredible to see black women doing big shit yet again.

I think she'll win one more slam this year.... Probably Wimbledon. I don't see Serena winning the French this year, especially since the queen of clay Maria Sharapova will be back

Do you really expect Maria to be back at her A game that quickly?

Not to mention that Serena could have both arms chopped off and still beat Maria on ANY surface.

Venus has to see her sister with loads of admiration. theyve completely transformed the sport and progressed the black image in ways most athletes dream. Given so much hope to little black girls and black people in general. Coming into the snooty white sport with such power and unabashed blackness has to feel like a win every time.

The match may have been boring but in this already shitty year, it felt incredible to see black women doing big shit yet again.
Preach!

Yeah. Tiger woods did the same thing in golf, which is also a historicaly white and upper class country club sport. It's great to see

Anyway, I'm ridiculously excited for the Fedal final. I've watched tennis (Wimbledon, always) since the 80s, but I got really invested in their rivalry and started rooting for the young upstart to supplant the king, which he did in 2008. It reignited my love of the game and I started watching all the slams and Masters series religiously. Since then, they've had their ups and downs, and lifted the game to a whole new level. It's why you've got to give massive credit to Djokovic and, to a lesser extent, Murray for taking them on raising the game even further. But, tomorrow, is going to be a nice throwback.

I'm almost rooting for Federer, but I know when the match starts, it'll probably switch back to my main man, Rafa. Really, though, I'm just hoping for something special like their 2007 and 2008 Wimbledon finals. I think the 2007 match gets overlooked, but even though it ended in defeat for Nadal, it was a fantastically enjoyable match.

I think Fed fans have much to be optimistic about, he looked really good in their last match, and I think despite Nadal's incredible feat in getting to the final, his game is diminished in ways that Federer can take advantage of. However, Federer needs to conquer his mental gremlins. Obviously the answer is to get a hypnotist in and convince him he's playing Murray on the other side of net, because what he did to him in that Wimbledon SF was frightening, when he just served him off the planet, and you just know it was all down to the fact that Federer knew he owned Andy before a ball had even been served.

What more can you say about Serena. Graff and Navratilova were incredible and you can make arguments for them all being the greatest but Serena is on that same level with them at the very least, probably just ahead now.

oti

Banned
What more can you say about Serena. Graff and Navratilova were incredible and you can make arguments for them all being the greatest but Serena is on that same level with them at the very least, probably just ahead now.

Nah, this argument is officially over now for me. Serena is the GOAT.

lol you know I was being sarcastic with the sharapova remarks right?

You never know.

I have to deal with some very delusional Maria fans on other forums on a daily basis.

Congrats to Serena on her 23rd slam in singles! That's pretty impressive! Not quite as good as Margaret Court's 24 singles slams but still really good none the less!

Nah. perfectchaos does not get to say "Not as good as Court" who stacked majors when nobody traveled to the Australian Open, and then play coy when he's called out on the possibility of Sharapova being a threat to Serena.

We're talking about a player whose biggest rival is her own sister, Venus, who has seven majors of her own, two of them coming from beating Serena in 2001 and and 2008. And that's just the finals. There's no telling what things would look like had they not been seeded in the same brackets and knocking each other out back the aforementioned Safina and Wozniacki and such were ranked higher because they played lesser tournaments so frequently.

Nah, this argument is officially over now for me. Serena is the GOAT.

Nope. Serena is UNRIVALED.

Yeah. Tiger woods did the same thing in golf, which is also a historicaly white and upper class country club sport. It's great to see

Nah to that too. We try to claim him but he doesn't claim us. "Cablinasian" he says. Let's not derail this thread talking about the dude who will never win another major.

Bigfoot

Poor Venus. This was probably her last chance to win another slam, and also one she has never won before. It must suck to have your sister take it away from you.

Venus's career started so strong too before her sister came on. Serena is likely #1 all time and Venus doesn't even make the top 10.

8210240-3x2-700x467.jpg

Don't care what anyone says.....this will always be the greatest sport rivalry for me.

I want fed to win more than anything in sport right now but even if they played the game on indoor carpet with nadal playing right handed I wouldn't put any money on him. It's not even just the match up, there's got to be physiological issues in there too. for someone with the most grand slams of all time he's surprisingly prone to choking.

after AO2009 where fed spurned so many chances this ended as a competitive rivalry outside of indoors :(

Poor Venus. This was probably her last chance to win another slam, and also one she has never won before. It must suck to have your sister take it away from you.

Venus's career started so strong too before her sister came on. Serena is likely #1 all time and Venus doesn't even make the top 10.

It always seemed like Serena didn't mind losing to Venus, but the other way around wasn't as true. Even though Serena achieved so much, I think she really really looks up to Venus. You can see it in interviews.

Its funny the first time Serena beat Venus people in the media were speculating it was orchestrated by the father so Serena could also be a star.

Carl2291

Going to love when Serena retires and years later truth will come out as she was taking steroids all this time....

I'd imagine that if this was true, it would have come out already. She turned pro in 1995 and has dominated women's tennis for the last 8 or 9 years.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Going to love when Serena retires and years later truth will come out as she was taking steroids all this time....

Ya she definitely has never been tested even once in her 22 year career, I don't know how she keeps slipping by so quietly

/s

There is no way Serena uses steroids. She's been winning Slams since she was 18/19 was it? She wasn't on anything then and it's been nearly 20 years and she's still just better than the rest. No one can use steroids for 20 years and be tested as much as she must be and get away with it. When someone suddenly goes to another level and achieves things they previously didn't for a short amount of time that's when you should be suspicous, when someone has consistently dominated for such a long period and won Slams almost every year for 15 years that is just being the best.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Congrats to Serena. Was hoping Venus would win, but it's amazing enough that we got a Williams sisters final again. Never thought it would happen.

I've basically stopped watching tennis after Nadal declined, but man I'm so pumped for this match. Will get together with friends, buy lots of food and have a great time.

I was an Agassi fan and he got me into tennis, his matches with Pete were legendary, although I loved Pete too. The rivalry with Fed was different for me because I disliked Fed so I would root for Nadal that much harder.

Sadly I haven't had a player I gravitated to like I did with Nadal after Agassi retired.

Anyway it will be great to relive this Matchup.

AoM

Awfully quiet in here... calm before the storm?

Come on, Federer; just one more. Although I'm just glad Djokovic isn't in the final.

JBwB

I want Federer to win so bad haha.

For him get that 18th slam as well as beat his greatest rival at the same time? It would be a magical moment.

Speevy

Banned
I think we'll be able to tell in the first set how this is going down.

If Nadal starts getting Federer into long rallies with few Federer winners, it will be a very short night.

Many Nadal FHs to Fed's BH -> errors everywhere -> more aggressive with FH to counter! -> more errors everywhere cause old and mentally weak against Nadal.

I am ready.

(I will still be sad)

Also, Fed served 51% in the 2009 final. Fifty. One. @___@. Can't be worse than that, at least.

Routing for Rafa, but will be almost as happy if Roger get his 18th slam. He's been so close on a number of occasions; Wimbledon 2014 against Djokovic was heartbreaking, as he played so well, came so close and it ended in defeat. Rafa has been nowhere near getting a 15th slam, so this is a lovely surprise. But, really, all I want is something special like Wimbledon 2007/8. Entertain me, guys.

EDIT: Many people just expect Nadal to run away with this one, but I do think conditions and Roger's higher level of play in the tournament could make this a really competitive match. I certainly don't expect a disappointing 3 setter like their last Aus. Open encounter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom