• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Backwards compatibility is one of the most important aspects of the Xbox brand; the removal of 360 games is actually a crippling blow

jcorb

For me, Xbox’s commitment to backwards compatibility has been the single most important point of comparison against Sony’s Playstation. I remember re-downloading Castlevania Harmony of Despair a few months ago, and being in absolute awe when it downloaded my old save data; it was truly a magical moment as a gamer, being able to access data that legitimately hadn’t been accessed in probably 10+ years.

I find it incredibly disheartening to hear that the entire 360 marketplace is apparently being removed. In fact, I thought it was a poor decision on their part not to offer a whole separate category of “360 games” in the Microsoft store.

There have already been a ton of games delisted over the years, but again; backwards compatibility is one of the areas where Xbox has excelled beyond any other manufacturer.

As someone who has been gaming for quite a while now in my mid-30’s, I’ve seen just how volatile the used game market can be, particularly with the rise of streamers and content creators. Old hardware can only deteriorate, no matter how well you may care for your systems and games, and since older consoles are no longer produced, and the used gaming market filled with poor quality knockoffs or severely damaged originals, it paints a pretty grim picture of the future.

I really hope Microsoft will find some way to show its commitment to gaming preservation as one of its core pillars, because without it, I fear it takes away one of its only real strengths as compared to Playstation.

It obviously just makes it all the more compelling to just do gaming on the PC, as players can pretty much always expect for a game to be playable indefinitely. But still, it’s just a shame for some of those console-exclusive experiences to die, particularly rarer or less popular games (Castlevania Harmony of Despair being a perfect example, as it is digital-only).

nemiroff

Gold Member
OP must be confused.. The title suggests, "Backwards compatibility is crucial, yet they're phasing out all the 360 games!"

Closing down an old marketplace, game preservation and backwards compatibility can be related but are not the same.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I agree, wanted to make thread like that, glad that it is here. Today is a bad day

Fingers are crossed Sony does Ps3 on Ps5 emulated but if they do i expect them to dripfeed us shit like Bejeweled, Lost Via Domus, and Gripshift

JaksGhost

Fingers are crossed Sony does Ps3 on Ps5 emulated but if they do i expect them to dripfeed us shit like Bejeweled, Lost Via Domus, and Gripshift
I don’t understand this line of thinking. You’re wishing something into existence but you are already setting yourself up to bitch about it. LOL!

Humdinger

I think the only things that were lost when the 360 marketplace shut down were original Xbox games that were BC on the 360 but not BC on Series X, and which also were only available digitally. Physical copies of those games can still be played on the 360 (not on Series X - but then, they were never BC on Series X, just on 360).

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
It is a bummer that the store is closing, but the only 360 titles that weren't made backwards compatible and will be removed from sale are the ones where publishers wouldn't give Microsoft permission to have them run on X1/Series consoles.

So, nothing is being lost for X1/Series console owners.

For 360 only owners, you've had more than a decade to buy the games from the store, and they've just been put up for sale at a big discount.

SHA

For me, Xbox’s commitment to backwards compatibility has been the single most important point of comparison against Sony’s Playstation. I remember re-downloading Castlevania Harmony of Despair a few months ago, and being in absolute awe when it downloaded my old save data; it was truly a magical moment as a gamer, being able to access data that legitimately hadn’t been accessed in probably 10+ years.

I find it incredibly disheartening to hear that the entire 360 marketplace is apparently being removed. In fact, I thought it was a poor decision on their part not to offer a whole separate category of “360 games” in the Microsoft store.

There have already been a ton of games delisted over the years, but again; backwards compatibility is one of the areas where Xbox has excelled beyond any other manufacturer.

As someone who has been gaming for quite a while now in my mid-30’s, I’ve seen just how volatile the used game market can be, particularly with the rise of streamers and content creators. Old hardware can only deteriorate, no matter how well you may care for your systems and games, and since older consoles are no longer produced, and the used gaming market filled with poor quality knockoffs or severely damaged originals, it paints a pretty grim picture of the future.

I really hope Microsoft will find some way to show its commitment to gaming preservation as one of its core pillars, because without it, I fear it takes away one of its only real strengths as compared to Playstation.

It obviously just makes it all the more compelling to just do gaming on the PC, as players can pretty much always expect for a game to be playable indefinitely. But still, it’s just a shame for some of those console-exclusive experiences to die, particularly rarer or less popular games (Castlevania Harmony of Despair being a perfect example, as it is digital-only).
I don't understand the type of business that won't benefit itself, screw copyright, we are way past Piracy, we're Pro-legit-consumers.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
None of the games that remained on the 360 store were BC, everything that is BC was moved over to the modern store a long time ago and that includes 360 games.
This, the games that work are now sold on the main store.

The only real loss is all the Xbox 360 DLC. You can still get the discs for the games, but all DLC is toast. Are they still offering game updates for download when you insert the disc? I presume so, but I guess we will find out the hard way.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
All BC 360 games are still available for purchase on modern consoles. The only thing that shut down was the Xbox 360 store, and all that means is you can no longer access the store from an Xbox 360 console.

Last edited:

Quasicat

I just hope they don’t make us repay for the stuff we bought digitally on PS3. That was one of the awesome parts of the Xbox BC program, I could log on each time they updated the list and see games that I had bought years ago now available to play again on Xbox One and later, Series X.

I was playing Harmony of Despair on Series S just last week with DLC. The games that are backwards compatible will not go away with the 360 marketplace closure. I would love for them to expand backwards compatability program as there are a handful of older games I want to play, but physical discs are still abundant for Xbox 360 systems.

Last edited:

jcorb

Ah, my apologies then; I did indeed misunderstand.

Still a bummer the 360's specific marketplace is closing, but certainly not as bad as I'd made it out to be. I do wonder what all games were ONLY available on that marketplace, though? Something I found super strange was that Bionic Commando ReArmed 2 is available to download, but the first game isn't on the Series X. Especially when the first game was universally hailed as one of the first truly great downloadable games. I know it's available on PC via Steam, but funny that to my knowledge, it's not completely unavailable on any home console?

Either way, I still feel like it would be a smart move to try and leverage their backwards compatibility a bit more. The OG Xbox is old enough now, there are probably a lot of adults that have a lot of nostalgia for it; GameCube/PS2 generation are seeing a lot of lot right now, and Xbox is pretty uniquely positioned to capitalize on that market.

Being able to tout that their console can play those older games *exactly* as they were, with no weird visual bugs, would be a pretty easy marketing feature to push.

It IS curious how inconsistent game compatibility is, though. Like the first Dead Rising game... it feels strange that I can't play that game, but I can play the HD version. Considering I know my save-file for the 360 version is still store on the cloud, it's kind of a bummer that it's technically a different game, so I didn't get to carry my data or achievements forward.

If you’re gonna go through all the effort to make a long post like this… like, for heaven’s sake try to be educated on the subject you’re discussing and try to know about it beforehand. Would’ve saved you a lot of time

Goalus

I remember re-downloading Castlevania Harmony of Despair a few months ago, and being in absolute awe when it downloaded my old save data; it was truly a magical moment as a gamer, being able to access data that legitimately hadn’t been accessed in probably 10+ years.
You pretend to be an Xbox gamer, but your post proves that you seem to have no idea about the Xbox ecosystem.

bender

What time is it?
Sadly, the masses largely don't care. If BC was profitable or drove sales, we wouldn't have seen the big three have offerings only to be pulled back or eliminated all together. One of the nice things about subscription services is that older titles are being used to make those offerings more attractive.

bumpkin

The store shutting down sucks from a price and convenience standpoint, but it doesn’t shut the door on playing prior gen games. Used game stores still have tons of physical OG Xbox and 360 games you can buy. All you need to do is quickly Google if it’s BC or not.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
This might be one of the worst threads in neogaf history not just the OP but some people responding
sincerely like NPC's to the OP erroneous statements as if they were true.

Last edited:

MacReady13

Can someone answer me this- if indeed Microsoft is going down the streaming/subscription route exclusively which it looks like they are, how exactly will they be able to preserve games when they are now able to be purchased, can be removed at any time from their storefront and you can only rent these games?

Yes, they still have the consoles around but for how much longer? They seem to be pushing subscription only (fire stick being a prime example) so where does that leave all the games they don't have on there once consoles are a thing of the past?

nikolino840

You forget something...iPs are not owned by microsoft... what to do if you don't own the rights ? Some companies are maybe even closed

nikolino840

Can someone answer me this- if indeed Microsoft is going down the streaming/subscription route exclusively which it looks like they are, how exactly will they be able to preserve games when they are now able to be purchased, can be removed at any time from their storefront and you can only rent these games?

Yes, they still have the consoles around but for how much longer? They seem to be pushing subscription only (fire stick being a prime example) so where does that leave all the games they don't have on there once consoles are a thing of the past?
Can you name only one title that you can't own?
And in your futuristic case you mean that they stop selling games on pc and PlayStation not only on console

Muffdraul

This thread should be deleted, I about had a heart attack. If I can't play the 360 version of GTA4 on my Xbox Series X, I might as well just end it all now!

MacReady13

Can you name only one title that you can't own?
And in your futuristic case you mean that they stop selling games on pc and PlayStation not only on console
I'm sorry- I ONLY play my Xbox games through an Amazon firestick. Unfortunately I can't seem to find a way to purchase the games on gamepass. Please help!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
the thing is that backward compatability isnt really that like MS says. it requires internet to work, they should do more true bc with the hardware.

You only need to be connected for the first download / auth since you're downloading a formatted ISO.

After that, you can run BC games offline.

ungalo

They did remove a lot of games that were BC on the store though. The majority is still available but more and more are disappearing.

MacReady13

Why don't you make up your mind first, or come up with better zingers.
Of course I own a Series X, I was just being facetious but there are many that don't. So please, answer my question- Microsoft is advertising that you don't need a console, just get a firestick. That being the case, how does one purchase games via their firestick on the xbox gamepass app? Just asking for a friend... And even if they were to purchase games, once the games disappear off gamepass, how would one play the owned game on the amazon firestick?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Of course I own a Series X, I was just being facetious but there are many that don't. So please, answer my question- Microsoft is advertising that you don't need a console, just get a firestick. That being the case, how does one purchase games via their firestick on the xbox gamepass app? Just asking for a friend... And even if they were to purchase games, once the games disappear off gamepass, how would one play the owned game on the amazon firestick?

Facetious is an understatement.

You already know the fire stick is only for streaming the cloud content, you cannot buy that cloud content. Just like how you can't buy the streaming PS3 games over PS+ Premium.

You can tell your friend that there's no chance of him accidentally buying games with the Firestick. There's no option to do so, when you're using the Firestick app.

Last edited:

MacReady13

Facetious is an understatement.

You already know the fire stick is only for streaming the cloud content, you cannot buy that cloud content. Just like how you can't buy the streaming PS3 games over PS+ Premium.

You can tell your friend that there's no chance of him accidentally buying games with the Firestick.
Difference being that you can only (for the moment) get streaming on Playstation if you own the console. On Xbox, you can stream pretty much anywhere.

And thank you for agreeing with me- if you allow people to play anywhere, that's all good. But please Microsoft, don't pretend that they can preserve gaming when they desperately want to get into subscription only services on devices that are NOT consoles/PC's. If that is the future people want, fine. Just wish Microsoft would come out and say it blatantly instead of snide remarks in ads for the firestick or leaked stories about consoles not being sole in certain territories anymore...

nikolino840

I'm sorry- I ONLY play my Xbox games through an Amazon firestick. Unfortunately I can't seem to find a way to purchase the games on gamepass. Please help!
Is your choice not microsoft choice...if they sell the games on other platforms but you don't want to own them what microsoft can do? Is called free will...if Microsoft stop to sell xbox console and they publish on PlayStation and PC you can't blame Microsoft if you use the game pass streaming service via firestick

MacReady13

Is your choice not microsoft choice...if they sell the games on other platforms but you don't want to own them what microsoft can do? Is called free will...if Microsoft stop to sell xbox console and they publish on PlayStation and PC you can't blame Microsoft if you use the game pass streaming service via firestick
No because they are releasing Gamepass on tv’s and fire stick meaning those people cannot purchase games. If that is successful do you think Microsoft will continue selling games on other platforms? I mean seriously, how many CD’s sell today? How many dvd’s sell today? Compare that to their streaming services where people don’t want to own anymore it’s disgusting. Spotify. Netflix. People would rather subscribe than buy. Now imagine that in gaming. And if you think it’s not happening then think again. And it’s an awful future to want for gaming.

nikolino840

No because they are releasing Gamepass on tv’s and fire stick meaning those people cannot purchase games. If that is successful do you think Microsoft will continue selling games on other platforms? I mean seriously, how many CD’s sell today? How many dvd’s sell today? Compare that to their streaming services where people don’t want to own anymore it’s disgusting. Spotify. Netflix. People would rather subscribe than buy. Now imagine that in gaming. And if you think it’s not happening then think again. And it’s an awful future to want for gaming.
Do you really believe it? So this mean that are not releasing starfield and indy on PlayStation now thats theres the firestick?
This mean also that the firestick is so powerful that even sony stop to sell games...people would rather subscribe then buy as you say

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
You new here or something? This is just a simple mistake. This is nowhere near "the worst thread in NEOGAF history."

I'm being sardonic its not meant to be taken literally (the fact that I have to explain that is almost as depressing as the OP)

but lol@ a complete lapse in basic cognitive ability being a 'simple mistake' knowing what your talking about is a google search away....if I made a thread like this I'd go get my brain scanned for worms

Top Bottom