• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bannon fired / resigns; friends report plans to go to "war for WH"

RedAssedApe

Banned
Its actually going to be super interesting how Trump's brain tries and reconcile it.

Does his narcissism and idiocy move straight to "fake news"?
Or does he come up with some new harebrained scheme?
How willing is he to fight against his base to maintain his ego? This seems like a legitimately huge problem for his small mind lol

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

You don't want the right to destroy itself?

I fear this does the opposite. It further vilifies the left and by that extension the "globalists" that will cater to GOP voters and right leaning centrists – particularly the latter group which may have been swayed over by a centrist Democratic candidate.

I think many people around Trump underestimated him. They thought he would be a manipulatable idiot but turned out he is still an idiot but also very stubborn and loose cannon. There is no good reason to stay by his side anymore.

Shoeless

I'm super curious now about that other thread talking about how 6 out 10 Trump voters would support him no matter what. Does this mean that base now turns on Bannon, or does this actually give them pause for thought and start questioning Trump?

Leunam

On what planet is this dumpster fire administration (whose only goal is to dismantle Obama's legacy) Democrat??

Voters on the right will use this as justification for why their vote didn't lead to an awful presidency because they were duped into voting for a secret Democrat. Or something like that.

From the article: https://www.axios.com/bannons-next-move-2474479917.html

A source familiar with Breitbart's operations told me they would go "thermonuclear" against "globalists" that Bannon and his friends believe are ruining the Trump administration, and by extension, America.

....but Trump runs/owns several business locations internationally and employs immigrants in his own domestic hotels and golf courses.

Why am I only just now seeing how contradictory these two things are?

Garlador

I'm super curious now about that other thread talking about how 6 out 10 Trump voters would support him no matter what. Does this mean that base now turns on Bannon, or does this actually give them pause for thought and start questioning Trump?

Most voters had Trump yard signs, not Bannon ones. They'll turn on Bannon before they turn on Trump. He's their bright orange mascot to rally behind.

It will only lead to more WH turmoil, as Trump will be torn between his base and his own administration.

One of these is going to likely win, and will work to take down Democratic candidates in 2020. And beyond. Because for as much fun as it is to see the WH in turmoil, the tactics and efforts to rule this country will not end with Trump leaving office.

This is but one battle in a war without an end.

Snwaters

I'm confused. Both sources are from within 15 minutes and seem to directly contradict each other

Which is it? Bannon is at war with Trump, or those he vilifies SURROUNDING Trump?

As I said earlier, it's essentially the same thing. As we saw with the CNN poll, a lot of people still support Trump. Breitbart's readers fall heavily into that category. So to avoid driving them away, you attack the people around Trump.

But this implies two things: that Trump is a weak, lame duck puppet (which goes against the narrative that Trump is this invincible, genius chessmaster), or he's complicit with the 'Globalists', in which case he's a traitor to the cause.

This is just a roundabout way of attacking him.

And the Democrats will STILL manage to find a way to fumble away any advantage they might get from it.

The fact I struggle to think of a single major representative (current that is, Obama doesn't count given his situation) of theirs that has any real sway in making headlines against Trump speaks volumes.

As an aside, from outside the US it seems the Democrats are motionless right now, is/has there been any resurgence of grass-root campaigning away from the news, or are they still recovering from the election? 2018 is getting closer, and if they want to start gaining seats next year, there should surely be more voices from them mocking this shitshow of an administration.

Shoeless

Most voters had Trump yard signs, not Bannon ones. They'll turn on Bannon before they turn on Trump. He's their bright orange mascot to rally behind.

That's the part where things get interesting to me. If it was Trump that turned them onto Breitbart as the source of "real news," what happens now when they go on the attack of Trump?

And will Trump even bother to delete any remarks he made about Breitbart being real news, or will he simply say he always believed it was Fake News, and his supporters will also do the 1984 Double-Think thing and also believe that they've always been suspicious of Breitbart from the beginning?

Robert Costa @costareports
One theme I'm picking up: Bannon believes next battle is *not* w/ Trump but w/ Kushner/Cohn/Dina/HR McMaster. "Save Trump," as one R put it.

&&

Annie Karni @anniekarni
GOP operatives have told me they worry Bannon's departure means no Republicans left in the West Wing.

&&

Olivia Nuzzi @Olivianuzzi
"I don't see any senior decision makers around the president besides the Vice President who are real conservatives." - source close to WH

&&

Eli Stokols @EliStokols
Bannon ally: "I look at the WH and see New York Democrats and generals in ascendancy and that is not what we ran on in 2016."
This is one of the most absurd things I've read in a long time... unless to them being a Republican means being a racist PoS, which is possible.

Edit: wait, and isn't the entire rest of the cabinet still there, including Sessions? Absolutely stupid.

Respect

Yeah, going after those around trump sounds right. Although I, like many others I would assume, would rather it be war on trump.

Surfinn

As I said earlier, it's essentially the same thing. As we saw with the CNN poll, a lot of people still support Trump. Breitbart's readers fall heavily into that category. So to avoid driving them away, you attack the people around Trump.

But this implies two things: that Trump is a weak, lame duck puppet (which goes against the narrative that Trump is this invincible, genius chessmaster), or he's complicit with the 'Globalists', in which case he's a traitor to the cause.

This is just a roundabout way of attacking him.

I think there's a big difference between publicly vilifying the president or siding with him and declaring future support, even if your intentions may be ultimately to undermine and hurt him.

Makes a difference to people who tune into those "news" sources

Top Bottom