• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

Einbroch

Banned
Jintor said:
Eh? This is the kind of game you play for the experience of being Batman, right? I didn't want to go through AA again, doubt I'd want to do the same for this.

For extra content, absolutely, there's a ton and that's great. I don't usually go for 100% though unless it's an RPG.

I'll likely beat this game, go for some easy extras and call it a day.

Jintor

Einbroch said:
Eh? This is the kind of game you play for the experience of being Batman, right? I didn't want to go through AA again, doubt I'd want to do the same for this.

For extra content, absolutely, there's a ton and that's great. I don't usually go for 100% though unless it's an RPG.

I'll likely beat this game, go for some easy extras and call it a day.

By locking turning the indicator thingies off to NG+ they've more or less guaranteed that I'll be playing this through again. Plus, I've got to have a playthrough oh my own terms instead of a rushed review period. > >

Also I can't not do those challenge rooms

I can't not do them

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
I couldn't resist the video. SO FUCKING HYPED!

It does appear the game opens up almost right away. And going by the brief glimpse of the map, the world looks huge. Considering there's a lot of vertical height with the buildings and whatnot, there is going to be a lot of area to cover when searching for the Riddler trophies and challenges.

Also, the game over screens are even better than Arkham Asylum. They're similar, but the villains appear more antagonistic towards Batman than in AA. I swear I might even die at various points on purpose just to see the game over screens.

tigerin

nib95 said:
I'd imagine devs still get more from bargain bin or special price sales than rentals, so yea I guess so. If you're only ever going to play it once, fair enough, but by the sounds of things this will be one you'll want to pick up again at some point. You could always trade it in later I suppose. I do appreciate that not everyone can afford to buy new though, so fair enough.

Games are expensive, and $60 isn't exactly pocket change (depending on one's income).
Tbh, I've never heard developers complain about renting games hurt their sales. The main reasons they have online passes in the first place are due to used games that they do not gets profits from. Sites likes gamefly buy the games and rent it out. So the developers still benefit from it. And if u have gamefly, you know they have limited copies on release day and maybe months until someone else able to play it. So there not much harms, just like netflix and their movies. But nonetheless, if the game is good then it will sells well.

Luthos

Jintor said:
By locking turning the indicator thingies off to NG+ they've more or less guaranteed that I'll be playing this through again. Plus, I've got to have a playthrough oh my own terms instead of a rushed review period. > >

Also I can't not do those challenge rooms

I can't not do them
I'll 100% Arkham City because I so enjoyed 100%'ing AA. Never did I feel like I was just slogging through it. I loved doing the Riddler challenges, the predator rooms, and the challenge rooms.

I guess I just mean nothing about the first game's extras seemed annoying to do.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Finally pre-odered on Amazon since I had 20 dollar credit. Wish you had gotten a skin with a pre-order only bad thing I can say. Other then that I am fucking hyped.

Couldn't resist the video. So I just watched 1 minute of a random part I clicked in the middle and the guy playing died.
lol.gif

Jubs

Duffyside said:
Damn it, what should I do? Buy it at Best Buy, Amazon, Gamestop, Wal-Mart, or other?

Kmart. You get a $30 gaming coupon, and another $10 coupon for the new Lord of the Rings game.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I think i'll post this every page now. Just to make sure most of the Gaffers get this. There is nothing worse then waiting for a game for years and suddenly out of nowhere some assholes spoils the ending or so.

ATTENTION GAF!

Got a message from Luke.

He's the site founder of arkhamcity.co.uk

This is what he said:

Are you a member at NeoGAF capable of posting?

If you are, can you warn them about a spoiler circling the web at the moment? It's potentially very big and possibly related to the ending of Batman: Arkham City. They deserve a heads up!

Luke.

So please GAF, BE VERY CAREFUL.

Thank you very much Luke for that information :)

So hype watching that video. Combat and flying/batclaw traversal is so fluid.

Which makes the walking to running and climbing animation look all the more stiff. Too bad they didn't improve on that.

Sn4ke_911 said:
I think i'll post this every page now. Just to make sure most of the Gaffers get this. There is nothing worse then waiting for a game for years and suddenly out of nowhere some assholes spoils the ending or so.

ATTENTION GAF!

Got a message from Luke.

This is what he said:

Thanks for the warning. I'm gonna be incredibly more paranoid now. I skipped around the first couple of minutes of that Twitch TV video, saw something fucking awesome in the intro and now I am not clicking anymore links in this thread.

Black Republican said:
was that film any good?
I enjoyed it but apparently Sherlock Holmes-GAF really hates it.
It was pretty mindless, I'll concede them that.

Were you fishing to see if I was still lurking? Haha.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Watched some of it.

Never had a doubt all this time of the high quality that AC will be. But still

:O at all of it I saw.

Riddler puzzles all over the place, and they look truly puzzling.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Sn4ke_911 said:

ATTENTION GAF!

Got a message from Luke.

This is what he said:

For what it's worth, game is leaked on the Internet.

Jtrizzy

neorej said:
There's a nice sum of money coming my way by year's end... is Batman's 3D worth a new TV? Should I cave?

PC or console, and what are the specs if pc? In my educated opinion the current consoles cannot produce 3d games worth buying a 3dtv for. I have tried pretty much every 3d PS3 game, and the loss of resolution and frame rate to games that are already struggling to hit 30 is really jarring.

PC on the other hand is totally different. I have a $1,500 PC hooked up to my 3dtv, and it an amazing experience. You are limited to 720/60 on 3dtv's though, but playing games at 1080p would require closer to a $2k computer.

Arkham Asylum in 720p at 60fps on a 50" VT series Panasonic plasma is truly amazing though, as are many other games.

So it just occurred to me that Steam still has no listing or info regarding Arkham City's pre-order/release... is there any word on this? It is launching on Steam...right?

Jtrizzy said:
PC or console, and what are the specs if pc? In my educated opinion the current consoles cannot produce 3d games worth buying a 3dtv for. I have tried pretty much every 3d PS3 game, and the loss of resolution and frame rate to games that are already struggling to hit 30 is really jarring.

PC on the other hand is totally different. I have a $1,500 PC hooked up to my 3dtv, and it an amazing experience. You are limited to 720/60 on 3dtv's though, but playing games at 1080p would require closer to a $2k computer.

Arkham Asylum in 720p at 60fps on a 50" VT series Panasonic plasma is truly amazing though, as are many other games.

Listen to this man. 3D Vision Arkham Asylum is fucking awesome in 1080p 60 FPS (I lucked out with my DLP TV as it's one of the few that are able to use "checkerboard" format which allows 1080p at 60 FPS).

Jtrizzy

MisterAnderson said:
So it just occurred to me that Steam still has no listing or info regarding Arkham City's pre-order/release... is there any word on this? It is launching on Steam...right?

Listen to this man. 3D Vision Arkham Asylum is fucking awesome in 1080p 60 FPS (I lucked out with my DLP TV as it's one of the few that are able to use "checkerboard" format which allows 1080p at 60 FPS).

What kind of pc are you running? But yeah Arkham Asylum is one game where Nvidia went out of their way to pimp out from a graphics standpoint, physx etc and that definitely applies to the 3D as well.

Jeramii

Banned
I just remembered I already own this game (just haven't gotten to download it yet obviously).

my gf bought an nVidia card and it came with this, so she gave it to me. I activated it on steam, and just forgot about it until now.

I better hurry and finish the first one. I'm probably about halfway done or possibly a little further than that.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Jtrizzy said:

Either. If AC is worth it, I'll doubledip if necessary to get the superior version.

I'm on a 3GHz Dual Core Intel, 4GB RAM and an AMD HD5850, hooked up to my receiver and TV.

MisterAnderson said:

No, as of now you can only get the game on Steam with purchase of a Nvidia video card.

Jtrizzy

Unfortuantely one annoyance I've encountered with 3dtv oc gaming is that AMD and Nvidia have different 3d drivers. Nvidia has 3d vision and some games are exclusive to that, and some to Nvidia. I can't get stereo 3D on DXHR, as I have a 580. Arkham Asylum stereo 3D is exclusive 30 Nvidia as far as I know.

DrBo42

FantasticMrFoxdie said:
Couldn't resist the video. So I just watched 1 minute of a random part I clicked in the middle and the guy playing died.
lol.gif
He's absolutely awful. I'm glad in a way though, it made me stop watching.

Jtrizzy

neorej said:
Either. If AC is worth it, I'll doubledip if necessary to get the superior version.

I'm on a 3GHz Dual Core Intel, 4GB RAM and an AMD HD5850, hooked up to my receiver and TV.
Unfortunately one annoyance I've encountered with 3dtv oc gaming is that AMD and Nvidia have different 3d drivers. Nvidia has 3d vision and some games are exclusive to that, and some to Nvidia. I can't get stereo 3D on DXHR, as I have a 580. Arkham Asylum stereo 3D is exclusive 30 Nvidia as far as I know.

Again I wouldn't go out and buy a 3DTV for current gen consoles. Most of these games can't even do 720p at 30 fps in 2D, so in 3d you lose even more frames and resolution. It's not worth it imo.

I don't know much about AMD's 3d solution IZ3d, (Nvidia is 3d Vision) but it is pretty far behind when compared to Nvidia (in addition to #d vision Nvidia has 3DTV play, a program that makes it work. You should research people's experiences with AMD before buying a 3dtv.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Jtrizzy said:
Unfortuantely one annoyance I've encountered with 3dtv oc gaming is that AMD and Nvidia have different 3d drivers. Nvidia has 3d vision and some games are exclusive to that, and some to Nvidia. I can't get stereo 3D on DXHR, as I have a 580. Arkham Asylum stereo 3D is exclusive 30 Nvidia as far as I know.

And people wonder why 3D is not catching on....

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Jtrizzy said:
Unfortunately one annoyance I've encountered with 3dtv oc gaming is that AMD and Nvidia have different 3d drivers. Nvidia has 3d vision and some games are exclusive to that, and some to Nvidia. I can't get stereo 3D on DXHR, as I have a 580. Arkham Asylum stereo 3D is exclusive 30 Nvidia as far as I know.

Again I wouldn't go out and buy a 3DTV for current gen consoles. Most of these games can't even do 720p at 30 fps in 2D, so in 3d you lose even more frames and resolution. It's not worth it imo.

I don't know much about AMD's 3d solution IZ3d, (Nvidia is 3d Vision) but it is pretty far behind when compared to Nvidia (in addition to #d vision Nvidia has 3DTV play, a program that makes it work. You should research people's experiences with AMD before buying a 3dtv.

3DTV is a given, since I'm primarily buying it for BluRays, Batman will just be the proverbial straw on the camel's back. I just wanted to know if Batman's 3D is Transformers/Avatar or Clash Of Titans.

Jtrizzy

neorej said:
And people wonder why 3D is not catching on....

yeah you're best bet is to either switch to an Nvidia card (prices could drop on 580's if a new card comes out rumored around BF3) and get a 3DTV (Panny/Samsung Plasma or DLP), or wait till a new console comes out and get the TV then.

I can say Arkham Asylum PC is one game that definitely made me feel like the tv purchase was worth the large amount I spent on it. None of the PS3 games will give you that feeling of a validation lol.

I'm behind on pricing though. I have the Panasonic VT25 50 inch, which was the best you could get in 2010 for PQ in 2d and 3d. I'm sure prices have come down. It could be worth it if you really like Batman...I spent an ass ton of money to play this, AC, and Bf3 in 3d.

Jtrizzy said:
What kind of pc are you running?

i7 920 OC'ed to 3.9 GHz
GTX 580
12 GB DDR3

Prophet Steve said:
No, as of now you can only get the game on Steam with purchase of a Nvidia video card.

Wtf... surely it will be added to Steam in the next two weeks or so though?? (It was delayed on PC wasn't it?)

Jtrizzy said:

Luckily for us the DXHR devs said they are working on a 3D Vision patch :)

Jtrizzy

MisterAnderson said:
i7 920 OC'ed to 3.9 GHz
GTX 580
12 GB DDR3

Wtf... surely it will be added to Steam in the next two weeks or so though?? (It was delayed on PC wasn't it?)

Luckily for us the DXHR devs said they are working on a 3D Vision patch :)

Are you getting 60 fps in 1080p3d in AA everything maxed with that setup? I'm jealous.

Jtrizzy said:
Are you getting 60 fps in 1080p3d in AA everything maxed with that setup? I'm jealous.

Everything maxed with 8x AA. I have PhysX disabled though. It can run it fine but it does dip under 60 (probably around 40ish) when the PhysX effects gets heavy, and I'd prefer a smooth 60 FPS all around.

Bumhead

Banned
Jtrizzy said:
What's the deal with pre loading/pre ordering this game for pc?

Just a case of waiting for it to appear on Steam right now, isn't it?

I'm hoping for a pre-order option plus some bonus skins or something within the next week. I'd at least like to know where we stand before the console version comes out.

The perfect Dark said:
Okay a lot of stores here in germany are selling the game right now. Saw it with my own eyes....gamestop doesn't ...fuck them!

My online retailer just sent me an email that they shipped it, too. LOL WUT?

Top Bottom