• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

Solo

Foliorum Viridum said:
Amir0x and Solo, I would have assumed you guys would be getting it on PC?

Release date dicking around + GFWL/no Steamworks + already owning AA on PS3 = Solo buying PS3 version tomorrow. Besides, I thought the PS3 version of AA was excellent.

Don't worry though, I shall be sporting my master race colors for Skyrim.

Solo said:
Release date dicking around + GFWL/no Steamworks + already owning AA on PS3 = Solo buying PS3 version tomorrow. Besides, I thought the PS3 version of AA was excellent.

Did you ever try AA on PC?

I thought AA on 360 was pretty awesome but after playing it on PC there was no way I was going back to 360 for AC.

Jtrizzy

My will power is dying here. Do I go ahead and get the PS3 version tonight or do I wait till the 8th to play it on my new monster rig? AA is amazing on my PC, but 3 weeks is a long time to wait. I'll get decent trade value for it too when Uncharted comes out.

RPGCrazied

armv said:
Batman Beyond skin is up on the NOS site.

Gd04b.png

Thanks for the heads up, got it today. :p I probably will never buy the drink again, wasn't that great for almost $3.

Solo

The Nature Roy said:
Did you ever try AA on PC?

Nope. No matter how much I love a game, there is no way I will ever buy a second version of it. So my experience of these Rocksteady Batman games will be a PS3 exclusive one. And I'm alright with that. Frankly, this is the rare franchise that delivers stellar versions across each platform.

Solo said:
Nope. No matter how much I love a game, there is no way I will ever buy a second version of it. So my experience of these Rocksteady Batman games will be a PS3 exclusive one. And I'm alright with that. Frankly, this is the rare franchise that delivers stellar versions across each platform.
You should pick it up on Steam sale. I double dipped for £3.75 and it looks and runs SO good on PC it's the reason why I'm waiting for the PC version this time around.

It will probably be even cheaper this year, too!

Amir0x

Banned
Vire said:
Why is Amir0x allowed to actively troll all the time? It isn't cute or funny, just really obnoxious.

If you are going to bring that garbage into this thread, I suggest you leave.

Hahaha, "I suggest you leave." Jesus christ.

I always wonder why people are allowed to post on GAF who don't know what the term "troll" even means. It's always been hilarious to me. We should have like, ya know, tests or something to determine such simple aptitude things. My suggestion is if you're going to whine because people criticize things (and, as always, fail to find even a single sentence to discuss why you disagree with my assessments, wasting forum space as usual), you can do the simple thing that people have done since time immemorial: put me on ignore on skip the posts. It's a simple self control thing, and I can ensure you it won't offend me in the least. It is of no concern to me how others view me or my commentary. I don't have a single person on ignore because I'm not afraid of what people have to say, but if you are go ahead and do the deed. It'll make you feel a lot better and the bonus is I won't have to hear little whiners bitch about negativity. Unicorns, fairy dust and rainbows are for some other posters.

The Nature Roy said:
Well, DC continuity started over from scratch a month or two ago. Well, mostly. Other than Batman. Kinda.

Point taken.

They always 'start over' what seems like every other month, it's so annoying. They write all these things and you just know immediately after reading it it won't actually have any long lasting impact, because it's just going to be overwritten a few months down the line. The whole "Death of ______" gimmick, for example, is just a really lazy way to spurn sales, and it's not even effective because you know it's fake. Nobody really dies, or if they do they find some lame loophole or trick to ensure it doesn't remain so.

At least with Batman, the good one offs always have a similar theme and I can ignore the continuity to a certain extent, but even Batman was getting difficult. The recent "Death of Batman" shit with the Batman really just being stuck in a time something-or-other made me grind my teeth. Is this the best comic book superhero writers have to offer?

Solo said:

Wasn't Arkham Asylum better on 360 than PS3? I know the PS3 version got that exclusive thing, but technically I'm pretty sure the 360 version ran better due to UE3.0. And since this one doesn't have any PS3 exclusive element, seems the 360 one is the version to get?

Amir0x

Banned
george_us said:
Shouldn't you be knee deep in Dark Souls?:p

At this point there's no way I'm finishing it before tomorrow, so I've given up that hope. I'm just going to have to go back and forth between Dark Souls and Arkham City starting tomorrow. That's probably a good thing, I've become so consumed by Dark Souls I can hardly think of anything else these days :p

I hope to at least finish it before the Uncharted 3/Skyrim/Skyward Sword trilogy next month though...

george_us

Amir0x said:
At this point there's no way I'm finishing it before tomorrow, so I've given up that hope. I'm just going to have to go back and forth between Dark Souls and Arkham City starting tomorrow. That's probably a good thing, I've become so consumed by Dark Souls I can hardly think of anything else these days :p

I hope to at least finish it before the Uncharted 3/Skyrim/Skyward Sword trilogy next month though...
Haha I know the feeling. All I could think about at work is how I'm going to make it through Blighttown. I wasn't going to buy Batman until it hit $30 because of the Catwoman unlock bullshit but I didn't realize I already had $30 in Amazon credit. I'm fairly excited to play it but honestly, all the hype the game is getting is making me wary about it with it scoring 10s left and right. Just doesn't seem like it'll live up to it. It's going to have to be a hell of a game to beat Dark Souls. That game fucking towers over everything I've played this generation.

Solo

Amir0x said:
Wasn't Arkham Asylum better on 360 than PS3? I know the PS3 version got that exclusive thing, but technically I'm pretty sure the 360 version ran better due to UE3.0. And since this one doesn't have any PS3 exclusive element, seems the 360 one is the version to get?

360 version was marginally better than the PS3 version, yes. Same is true for AC. But its not a big enough deal to sway me. I originally got AA on PS3 over 360 for the exclusive stuff, and now Im simply getting AC on PS3 because I like continuity on my shelf. So while it might technically be the "worst" version, its not so by any great stretch.

Amir0x

Banned
george_us said:
Haha I know the feeling. All I could think about at work is how I'm going to make it through Blighttown. I wasn't going to buy Batman until it hit $30 because of the Catwoman unlock bullshit but I didn't realize I already had $30 in Amazon credit. I'm fairly excited to play it but honestly, all the hype the game is getting is making me wary about it with it scoring 10s left and right. Just doesn't seem like it'll live up to it. It's going to have to be a hell of a game to beat Dark Souls. That game fucking towers over everything I've played this generation.

Blighttown is where the game cuts off the true players from those just wetting their feet, I find. That's where my friend EUG was just like "fuck it" and returned the game :p

I have a lot of coupons at K-mart, so that's where I'm trying to save myself some money. I am really excited about Batman Arkham City. My main concern for the 360 version is the framerate (sub 30 frequently will be fucking annoying... and open world games on these platforms tend to be framerate troublesome) and if it'll be somewhat less focused due to the open world nature of it. I really enjoyed the Metroidvania feel of Arkham Asylum.

Solo said:
360 version was marginally better than the PS3 version, yes. Same is true for AC. But its not a big enough deal to sway me. I originally got AA on PS3 over 360 for the exclusive stuff, and now Im simply getting AC on PS3 because I like continuity on my shelf. So while it might technically be the "worst" version, its not so by any great stretch.

Oh I understand. I can be that way too. I was just wondering (because you're a PC dude like me) if there was something technically about the PS3 version that made it superior, because I only got the 360 version back in the day. I remember hearing it was a strangely strong port though.

lush

RPGCrazied said:
Thanks for the heads up, got it today. :p I probably will never buy the drink again, wasn't that great for almost $3.
How many points do you get for one can of NOS? I might just go ahead and buy a couple and leave them in the breakroom at work, throw some codes on here.

Amir0x

Banned
Yuck gotta buy a NOS for Beyond Skin?

Oh I get them for free at work, so I can just buy the can and dump the contents. Gross as hell drink though

Solo

Amir0x said:
Oh I understand. I can be that way too. I was just wondering (because you're a PC dude like me) if there was something technically about the PS3 version that made it superior, because I only got the 360 version back in the day. I remember hearing it was a strangely strong port though.

Yeah, 9 times out of 10 I will take a multi-plat game on 360, but AA was that very rare case of a UE game running almost identical on PS3. For such a young studio, Rocksteady is incredibly talented it would appear.

I'd love to see if they could do the impossible and make a good Superman game at some point.

RPGCrazied

Its not half bad, I got the regular flavor I guess. Tasted like carbonated grapefruit juice. I didn't drink the whole can tho, 220cals lol. I gave the rest to my mom.

iumogg

Neo Member
I've watched the first couple hours and I can't wait for this game. What seems really improved is the traversal and density of stuff to do. The first game was metroid like in that you would acquire new equipment to enhance combat and help you get to some collectables, but you were pretty much on the main path. This game seems to be a much more living world with activities and quests jumping out at you constantly. You hear all the thugs chatter about what's going on and it seems to relate to where you are in the story. You would need determination to stay on the main quest path as so much interesting stuff seems to constantly pull you in different directions. It also looks like so much fun to fly around the city. If you are an explorer or easily distracted, this game seems to have dozens of hours of stuff to do. As I was watching the play through I kept thinking: wait what was that, go over there, why are you passing that up, ect.

Amir0x

Banned
Solo said:
Yeah, 9 times out of 10 I will take a multi-plat game on 360, but AA was that very rare case of a UE game running almost identical on PS3. For such a young studio, Rocksteady is incredibly talented it would appear.

I'd love to see if they could do the impossible and make a good Superman game at some point.

I just think Superman is so powerful it'd be difficult to make a good game like that. Maybe give everyone Kryptonite Fists and make the world highly destructible. I think destructibility would be the key to a good Superman game. If they could really give you the feel of punching fools though multiple walls and then following them through the holes and continuing the pummeling, I think that'd be a way to separate it from what came before.

And on top of that, the mechanic could be implemented into how the world views Superman: if you're causing massive structural damage to the world, the inhabitants of Metropolis might begin to hate you. But if you're trying to be more careful, you can get them on your side. In other words, there'd be multiple legitimate ways to play the game and multiple endings based on how you approached things.

What do you think?

Solo

Yeah, I think I would agree that making a Superman game actually work and be fun would be tricky as hell. Probably the reason why theres never been a good Supes games whereas there have been plenty of good-to-great Batman and Spidey games.

Amir0x

Banned
Solo said:
Yeah, I think I would agree that making a Superman game actually work and be fun would be tricky as hell. Probably the reason why theres never been a good Supes games whereas there have been plenty of good-to-great Batman and Spidey games.

I think another way to get a good Superman game is to shy away from the typical 'beat em up' style of past games and more into a 'save people' mechanic. So missions should be heavily structured around trying to save peoples lives rather than necessarily always stopping strong foes. A train goes off a track, you have to fly their at speed to catch it before it hits the ground, etc.

I dunno, but if anyone could do it I'd say I would trust no one more than Rocksteady if Arkham City turns out to be as good as everyone says. They're really a rocketing star at this point who show true respect for the licenses they get.

Amir0x

Banned
RPGCrazied said:
lol, GameFAQs has now became a place to beg for NOS codes. I wonder just how many cans they sold off of this promotion.

jesus people can't pay a dollar fifty or two bucks for a can? Some people are so poor :p

Not that, er, there's anything wrong with being poor... but surely you can scrounge up two bucks somehow! Gamefaqs smh

RPGCrazied

Amir0x said:
jesus people can't pay a dollar fifty or two bucks for a can? Some people are so poor :p

Not that, er, there's anything wrong with being poor... but surely you can scrounge up two bucks somehow!

Well, most of them are saying they can't find it in their city. But I call bull. My tinny tiny town had them.

Jtrizzy said:
My will power is dying here. Do I go ahead and get the PS3 version tonight or do I wait till the 8th to play it on my new monster rig? AA is amazing on my PC, but 3 weeks is a long time to wait. I'll get decent trade value for it too when Uncharted comes out.
I'm going to buy the PS3 version then trade it back in next month for Uncharted 3 since I already have a code registered on Steam for the PC version.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
A Superman game would have to be a Mercenaries or Red Faction game, but with a 1000% more Alien Steroids.

Luthos

Bought a Nos drink today. The actual drink itself isn't too bad (grape flavor). Though I'm not a big energy drink person anyway.

But I'm drinking it anyway so I get more than just a skin for a couple bucks or whatever it was.

RPGCrazied

I know this isn't the Aslyum thread, but I'll ask here anyway. The past few days I've been trying to get all the riddles. I just got the 85% trophy, but some of them seem impossible. Like the ? you have to line up in the caves room. I forget the name. The top part is like under a bridge high up, and I can't even see the . You can't use your grapple in this room.

Amir0x

Banned
KeeSomething said:
That's not Mark Hamil. It's an awesome fan.

Oh, well, yeah that's pretty cool still. I misread the comment of the person who posted the youtube video.

RPGCrazied said:
know this isn't the Aslyum thread, but I'll ask here anyway. The past few days I've been trying to get all the riddles. I just got the 85% trophy, but some of them seem impossible. Like the ? you have to line up in the caves room. I forget the name. The top part is like under a bridge high up, and I can't even see the . You can't use your grapple in this room.

Just check out the riddle guide right here.

So are you guys planning on doing all of the side missions before beating the main story, or at least doing all of the side missions before diving into NG+? Is anyone planning on leaving it alone after beating it the first time and doing NG+ later on? Is anyone NOT going to do NG+? Am I asking too many questions? Why isn't it midnight yet?

Neiteio

I've been avoiding spoilers for the most part, but someone tell me, before I pick up my preorder from Best Buy tomorrow: Is Scarecrow in the game?

dreamfall

Mr. Paer said:
So are you guys planning on doing all of the side missions before beating the main story, or at least doing all of the side missions before diving into NG+? Is anyone planning on leaving it alone after beating it the first time and doing NG+ later on? Is anyone NOT going to do NG+? Am I asking too many questions? Why isn't it midnight yet?

It's going to be an extremely slow first playthrough for me- just taking time to explore and do all the side missions, while trying to progress through the story. I bet gliding around the city for hours will be all I do tonight! Midnight, please come faster!

Amir0x

Banned
Neiteio said:
I've been avoiding spoilers for the most part, but someone tell me, before I pick up my preorder from Best Buy tomorrow: Is Scarecrow in the game?

I read that Scarecrow
isn't in this game, but that there are scenes of equally surprising nature featuring some other villain. So if you liked the surprising hallucination segments, there should be something similarly awesome in here.

Top Bottom