• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Shadow Announced (VR)

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I don't think there's a need for him to be sour grape. He can just play the next upcoming AAA VR game on his PSVR2.

Romulus

Another screenshot from android central and an interview

They keep mentioning you can see the cowl with real time shadows and bringing that up. They talked about using the shadows to detect enemies nearby.

RRmKqv73hkdzUN76PBjviZ-970-80.jpg.webp

The combat seems really intuitive. They wanted to keep the spirit of the Arkham flow style combat where timing is very important, but its like that and a mix of superhot VR with time distortion and combos.

Last edited:

Romulus

This is quickly becoming my most anticipated game of 2024. I loved the older Arkham games and VR is my favorite way to game.

I've been snooping around and listening to recent interviews with the producer.

Apparently, the game will have roughly the same amount of content as the first Arkham game and is using that as a base in terms of mechanics and the Metroidvania style.

Not to mention, some of the original Arkham devs have been helping out. More and more this sounds like Arkham but built from the ground up for VR.

Last edited:

Romulus

I wish it was on PSVR2 also. Stop fragmenting this tiny market. I have a quest 3 too but for a batman game the blacks will suck on Quest 3.

Ugh. When you find out the game wouldn't exist without meta. That would be like Sony just tossing Horizon VR on Quest for the hell of it. Not to mention, did you notice all the quick turning in the trailer? Not doing that with a wire attached. Nope. The arkham games were about your ability to respond to threats in 360 degrees, not 180.

Last edited:

Vlodril

Ugh. When you find out the game wouldn't exist without meta. That would be like Sony just tossing Horizon VR on Quest for the hell of it. Not to mention, did you notice all the quick turning in the trailer? Not doing that with a wire attached. Nope.

I had 0 problems playing with a wire on PSVR2 (and other headsets in the past). I get that some of the games only get made because of exclusive deals (Sony has some of those too) it's just the VR market is so small i feel they should all focus on growing it right now and we already see studios that made decent games close. It's a hard niche for devs i am guessing.

I hear you can use Revive to play games installed on the Meta launcher to play on PSVR2 via the PC adapter.
Wouldn't that work with this as well?

Romulus

I had 0 problems playing with a wire on PSVR2 (and other headsets in the past). I get that some of the games only get made because of exclusive deals (Sony has some of those too) it's just the VR market is so small i feel they should all focus on growing it right now and we already see studios that made decent games close. It's a hard niche for devs i am guessing.

I don't have a problem either 95% of the time with PSVR2. The problem is the batman games are about responding to threats in all directions and being able to quickly turn completely around.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I hear you can use Revive to play games installed on the Meta launcher to play on PSVR2 via the PC adapter.
Wouldn't that work with this as well?
Think that only works for Occulus PC games, while this is Quest 3 headset exclusive. Wonder if an android emulator might be made to work?

Last edited:

Hot5pur

October 2024..wow
This will piss off anyone who wanted an Arkham followup that wasn't that suicide squad thing

Personally quite hyped. I think this will work extremely well in VR.

poppabk

I thought all their games you could play on pc with a cable. I don’t know how occulus works apparently.
They have two stores - one on the headset for games that run on the headset hardware, then a PC store where the games run on your PC. Some games are crossbuy most aren't.
Since the Quest 3 launch, Meta have decided to really focus on pushing the headset store and Quest 3 only exclusivity - mainly to push Quest 2 -> Quest 3 upgrades is my guess.

Last edited:

Astray

It won't. The devs mentioned they needed to leverage the new hardware without the previous gen. If you look at the textures and lightning in the vid, that is far and away from anything we got on Quest 2 for an action game.
Smh then it's gonna be a pass for now.

I got the Quest 2 as a gift from my wife and I can't just go Quest 3.

I'm such a huge Batman Arkham fan too.

Romulus

I thought all their games you could play on pc with a cable. I don’t know how occulus works apparently.

If even you do somehow get it working, by the time you hack your way through it, you're still playing it with a wire attached. Judging by what the devs said, this isn't designed for that with constant turning around. You're supposed to feel completely free. Most PSVR2 games work really well based on 180 degrees or a bit more, spinning around is not remotely ideal in this case.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
If even you do somehow get it working, by the time you hack your way through it, you're still playing it with a wire attached. Judging by what the devs said, this isn't designed for that with constant turning around. You're supposed to feel completely free. Most PSVR2 games work really well based on 180 degrees or a bit more, spinning around is not remotely ideal in this case.
The constant spinning does worry me though. I hate it when my headset loses track of a controller, then my arm starts to stretch 10 feet in front of me. I do notice this a bit in Red Matter 2.

poppabk

The constant spinning does worry me though. I hate it when my headset loses track of a controller, then my arm starts to stretch 10 feet in front of me. I do notice this a bit in Red Matter 2.
If this is Gorn like combat then the wire could be an issue. Along with hitting furniture and other shit in your room.

Romulus

Is your room lit well behind you? I noticed for me the light was in front and I moved underneath it and it remedied the problem.

simpatico

Gold Member
Melee combat VR game? Do we have to learn Krav Maga to beat it? I mean, shooting games I get, but are people really gonna throw combos with that helmet on in their living room?

Minsc

Gold Member
Melee combat VR game? Do we have to learn Krav Maga to beat it? I mean, shooting games I get, but are people really gonna throw combos with that helmet on in their living room?

You've never seen all the boxing VR and workout games in VR?

Romulus

I have not, but now I have to go find some.

Delicious

The newer Quests are much easier as it warns as you approach objects before you can strike them too. Not to mention you can double tap the helmet at any time and see the world around you. Having said that, I owned all the devices in the video and never had an issue boxing, people are just stupid the way they set things up and don't pay attention to the boundary.

So sad to see the VR hate is still prevalent in 2024. We have been consistently getting enough QUALITY GAMES so the excuse of "There is no gamez" isn't valid anymore. What will it take for people to give VR gaming a chance of it being part of a healthy gaming diet? What else do you want!?
The haters truly don't get it, it's a shame.

A healthy diet of flat AA/Indie gems and the occasional AAA banger, coupled with an a near endless supply of VR jank and the occasional VR banger keeps me so damn satisfied. It's like I'm at Old Country Buffet after Church, just eating bowl after bowl of the lava cake.

Hungry Nom Nom GIF by LAIKA Studios

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
That's concerning, I never run into this issue. It was something that would happen to me with my Quest 1 back in the day.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
The newer Quests are much easier as it warns as you approach objects before you can strike them too. Not to mention you can double tap the helmet at any time and see the world around you. Having said that, I owned all the devices in the video and never had an issue boxing, people are just stupid the way they set things up and don't pay attention to the boundary.
I've learned to never allow the system to make the boundary for you. On its own, it will place your boundary up against walls and that's just asking for trouble. I always set it about a foot in from anything that I could hit. I learned this the hard way playing Echo VR back in the day, my hand was fucked for a few weeks.

The only question now is, how big will the game file be.
My guess would be 20+ gb. I do not regret getting the 512gb headset. Even then, I only have around 70gb free.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Smh then it's gonna be a pass for now.

I got the Quest 2 as a gift from my wife and I can't just go Quest 3.

I'm such a huge Batman Arkham fan too.
sucks man, maybe for now you can find a way to at least play the Arkham VR experience they released a few years ago, if you have a PC connection

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
The haters truly don't get it, it's a shame.

A healthy diet of flat AA/Indie gems and the occasional AAA banger, coupled with an a near endless supply of VR jank and the occasional VR banger keeps me so damn satisfied. It's like I'm at Old Country Buffet after Church, just eating bowl after bowl of the lava cake.

Hungry Nom Nom GIF by LAIKA Studios
Amen brother.

I've learned to never allow the system to make the boundary for you. On its own, it will place your boundary up against walls and that's just asking for trouble. I always set it about a foot in from anything that I could hit. I learned this the hard way playing Echo VR back in the day, my hand was fucked for a few weeks.

My guess would be 20+ gb. I do not regret getting the 512gb headset. Even then, I only have around 70gb free.
This is why I tend to prefer MR instead of VR games. Yes you can adjust the sensitivity of the guardian boundary but in particularly intense games it might still not be sensitive enough. I've never punched a wall but I've done the same thing that you do and set a smaller boundary instead of going wall to wall. I don't even want to imagine what will happen if I punch a wall while playing Thrill of the Fight.

And yes, I'm really happy that I have a 512gb headset. Quest 3 exclusives are coming up and I can see them all being 20gb+.

Wonko_C

I found it best to use the stationary boundary and just stay inside the circle. I don't need roomscale, just turning in place works for me, my space to play is pretty small anyways.

Wonko_C

Love how Ryan Payton answers all the port begging/flat version begging in a candid manner without being dismissive. People still don't get that Meta is just another console manufacturer like Nintendo or PlayStation. And that this game is a first party game.

Could you imagine back in the N64 days people begging Nintendo to port Goldeneye 007 to Sega Saturn? This is basically the same thing.

Last edited:

Romulus

Love how Ryan Payton answers all the port begging/flat version begging in a candid manner without being dismissive. People still don't get that Meta is just another console manufacturer just like Nintendo or PlayStation. And that this game is a first party game.

Could you imagine back in the N64 days people begging Nintendo to port Goldeneye 007 to Sega Saturn? This is basically the same thing.

Yeah and this game has some of the worst port begging I've seen in while. People demanding it be on non VR consoles and all kinds of shit.

Top Bottom