• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battleborn |OT| Multiplayer Online Bad-Ass Shooter

I think Pendles is fun, because I always imagine the expression people have getting wrecked when they least expect it. Y'know, getting back to their heal station and having an invisible snake man instantly-kill them outa' no where. It amuses me immensely!

I also think the ability to accessibly destroy sentries and control shards is super useful, I think he's a valuable character. Perhaps more so than Deande, but of that I'm unsure.

The only issue I'm having right now is that I don't get to select Pendles, because I'm in the UK, and I guess most servers are in America, so I always connect later than US players. So, they pick like, a whole second or so before me. Pendles is usually selected before I can even begin selecting a character. It isn't a very good or fair system :(

It won't go F2P until at least all the season pass content is out. Can't fuck over those who bought that.

I don't see the game going F2P until it's

a) a good window to market the game as F2P, this would probably be early in the year, or during the summer period, where there are typically less games

b) all of the season pass content is out

c) there are a sizable number of additional skins and MT options available for people. A lot of consumers that try the F2P version won't stick with it long (inevitable) so it's important to get the best MT attach-rate during that time, and having a large catalogue of options helps with that quite a bit.

d) the game is in the best shape it can be, so as to provide a good impression.

Great post on gaming side chrono!

Maybe a couple people will actually check it out instead of just being on the hater train.

Thanks man, I tried :)

daedalius

Ok guys, I love Boldur now, he is amazing.

I feel like I have to try way less hard to murder people with him as opposed to calderius

gossi

Question, how populated is Xbox One version? Including the season pass content. Pondering how long matches take to set up.

Krelian

Had some pretty good matches yesterday and went 13 to 0 on one, my best result yet. Thanks to the double XP weekend I'm command rank 40 now and finally unlocked every character. From those that I tried I currently like Galilea and Ambra the most. I don't have Pendles or Alani though.

The time to find a match is mostly OK too now. No idea why I had problems a couple of days ago but I can usually find a match for any versus mode within a reasonable time, Incursion being the fastest.

Since I still see many level 100s that don't seem to know this information, I think I will spread it here now.

PSA: When being attacked by a melee character, use quick melee (middle mouse button) to knock them away from you. Using it will at least double your survival time in a melee assassination attempt made against you. Using quick melee gives you a much greater chance to either escape, kill the melee character or for your allies to save you.

For example, Pendles appears behind you:
1) Quick melee him away from you.
2) Start moving away from him and attacking back.
3) If he closes the distance again, repeat steps. Else, end process.
Note) Also ping the Pendles, so your teammates will notice and help you, hopefully.

I have fought off and killed Pendles from full health by myself as Miko (and others). Quick melee is invaluable, use it!

I'm surprised often when I play melee assassins by how rarely I am knocked back. Most everybody simply back pedals away slowly and let's me hit them.

One of my favourite Boldur tricks is to charge an enemy and quick melee them into a corner. Not a guaranteed kill but usually highly unsettling for my target!

daedalius

Threw on some attack speed, and skill damage items (and reload) onto Caldarius and he is even more amazing now.

The attack speed gets really crazy after using his charge move with the 20% melee attack speed talent; that stacked with the gear is pretty crazy burst.

Since I still see many level 100s that don't seem to know this information, I think I will spread it here now.

PSA: When being attacked by a melee character, use quick melee (middle mouse button) to knock them away from you. Using it will at least double your survival time in a melee assassination attempt made against you. Using quick melee gives you a much greater chance to either escape, kill the melee character or for your allies to save you.

For example, Pendles appears behind you:
1) Quick melee him away from you.
2) Start moving away from him and attacking back.
3) If he closes the distance again, repeat steps. Else, end process.
Note) Also ping the Pendles, so your teammates will notice and help you, hopefully.

I have fought off and killed Pendles from full health by myself as Miko (and others). Quick melee is invaluable, use it!

I'm surprised often when I play melee assassins by how rarely I am knocked back. Most everybody simply back pedals away slowly and let's me hit them.

Yeah it's pretty obvious information but I'm also amazed by how few players actually do this. Everyone seems reliant on their knock back skills, forgetting that their basic melee is often enough to push someone like Pendles out of melee.

Against Pendles specifically, people taken an even worse option, turning their back to him and slowly trying to crawl away only to get nailed by +25% backstab damage. Sometimes these people realise they're being forced to fight and turn around, but then they forget to try and escape after the extreme slow has ended, and die anyway.

Most people are pretty bad at this game, even the 100+s.

The Light

Seems like people just give up as soon as the first sentry is gone. Like if the accelerator is gone no one tries building a new one so units can help with defense. No one will go for thralls or turrets either.
So much to do other than run straight to a firefight you won't win without help.

Other than minor gripe i'm having fun with mellka. She is so versatile that im still having trouble deciding how to play her and outfit her gear.

Seems like people just give up as soon as the first sentry is gone. Like if the accelerator is gone no one tries building a new one so units can help with defense. No one will go for thralls or turrets either.
So much to do other than run straight to a firefight you won't win without help.

Other than minor gripe i'm having fun with mellka. She is so versatile that im still having trouble deciding how to play her and outfit her gear.

Not that I give up, but once the first sentry is gone it's hard to come back. People use the sentry as a 'safety zone', a lot of supports line Alani depend on being able to back up to that area to escape pressure, while pushing out damage and support into the lane. With the first sentry gone it becomes incredibly difficult to successfully push out because the risk of doing so is much greater. Taking the sentry often leads to increased deaths for your team, which has a snowballing effect.

The only way to turn the tide is by taking their sentry, but it's hard to get the creeps there since it's so far and the enemy can place any number of turrets between them and it. So the only come back potential is when the sentry is on relatively low HP, and you can burst it down quickly.

That's why I've stopped playing Incursion. I feel that it's too difficult to come back and matches can become one sided too easily.

The Light

My last game today a Boldur was giving my team so much trouble today. We could not take him out. Every time it was 3 on 1 and that shield was protecting him so well. I wasn't able to do enough damage from behind with slow + venom. 1 person on my team was so annoyed at how we could never finish him off lol.

Not that I give up, but once the first sentry is gone it's hard to come back. People use the sentry as a 'safety zone', a lot of supports line Alani depend on being able to back up to that area to escape pressure, while pushing out damage and support into the lane. With the first sentry gone it becomes incredibly difficult to successfully push out because the risk of doing so is much greater. Taking the sentry often leads to increased deaths for your team, which has a snowballing effect.

The only way to turn the tide is by taking their sentry, but it's hard to get the creeps there since it's so far and the enemy can place any number of turrets between them and it. So the only come back potential is when the sentry is on relatively low HP, and you can burst it down quickly.

That's why I've stopped playing Incursion. I feel that it's too difficult to come back and matches can become one sided too easily.
Yea it is definitely hard to comeback, but if a team can have one good push after their first sentry is down and keep on the pressure a comeback is feasible especially if people actually communicate. Swear if at least 2 people have mics there is better defensive play from everyone. I guess im just tired of the quick surrenders from a person when things aren't going their way. Rather have the person just rage quit instead of spamming it and not trying to do anything when everyone else is trying.

Threw on some attack speed, and skill damage items (and reload) onto Caldarius and he is even more amazing now.

The attack speed gets really crazy after using his charge move with the 20% melee attack speed talent; that stacked with the gear is pretty crazy burst.

I'm trying to get a grasp of how he plays but I'm struggling to be effective with him. Any tips you can share please?

Krelian

I'm suprised nobody has bumped this thread yet, seeing as a new Battleborn has just been released. Can't play him yet but I see him in almost every match.
So you play Meltdown and Capture instead? I feel like Incursion is the main PvP game mode and even if it's not going well I can still have fun most of the time.

I'm suprised nobody has bumped this thread yet, seeing as a new Battleborn has just been released. Can't play him yet but I see him in almost every match.

So you play Meltdown and Capture instead? I feel like Incursion is the main PvP game mode and even if it's not going well I can still have fun most of the time.

I tried him out on the first story mode mission. Good damage (with direct grenade hits), decent mobility and durability, and simple yet effective skills. Seems like he might become a mainstay in PVP

A lot of people see Meltdown as viable competitive gametype, so it features in a lot of the pseudo-competitive scenes like reddit tournaments and whatnot. I would say it's as least as popular as Incursion.

It's only really Capture that seems to struggle with its playerbase.

Stopped playing for a few weeks thanks to The Division and Madden, just got back into it. I hated Pendles, so boring. Ernest is awesome though! So much fun to use. And if you stack some sticky grenades and take the helix upgrade that also shoots down an artillery blast after you detonate each bomb, daaaaaamn that damage tho.

I love sneaking up on a group engaged with teammates and dropping my super on them and watching them run around in my mine field like chickens with their heads cut off.

I was buying an epic pack on Xbone and the marketplace page said UPR packs were like half off but Igot a server error any time iin tried to buy, but could buy other packs fine. Anyone else experience this?

Krelian

I was buying an epic pack on Xbone and the marketplace page said UPR packs were like half off but Igot a server error any time iin tried to buy, but could buy other packs fine. Anyone else experience this?
Not that particular problem but yesterday I couldn't join a friend's game and he couldn't join mine. Connection timed out, NAT was open for both of us though and it has always worked before. Also I was unable to find any other players yesterday after about ten minutes of waiting, though I only tried Incursion. We figured it was an Xbox problem (party chat had issues too) and played something else.

Khort

currently on sale on NA PSN... 60% off... I am tempted but seeing it so often discounted I am afraid it would either be next free game on ps+ or f2p soon :-[

Been playing some El Dragon, Kleese and Orendi the last couple days. I have hundreds of hours on the game but noticed that outside of Oscar Mike, ISIC, Ernest, and Whiskey Foxtrot, I have barely touched almost every other character.

Man Kleese with a good build is just amazing. You can lock down the lane in an Incursion map with ease, and really don't even need any help. Stack up your rifts together or use the chain ability in the helix and people can't fucking touch you. And when they get in close, your rifts do DoT and murder them. I had a 4 premade group clearly irate earlier today as they tried and tried to whittle me down but were not breaking through the shield. Then they'd just charge in on me. Ignore my teammates and just try to kill me. And my rifts would melt them. Hilarious.

Sorry for the necro-bump, but as someone who has clowned on this game since release, I picked it up for dirt cheap from Best Buy and...it's pretty good. Only played one match (a raid, I guess?) and nearly half the team dropped because they "needed lore," but it was fun.

I can't see myself playing it all the time (those matches go on for a while), but it's not bad. Even the sorta garish art style works within context.

Sorry, Battleborn :(

Zafir

Sorry for the necro-bump, but as someone who has clowned on this game since release, I picked it up for dirt cheap from Best Buy and...it's pretty good. Only played one match (a raid, I guess?) and nearly half the team dropped because they "needed lore," but it was fun.

I can't see myself playing it all the time (those matches go on for a while), but it's not bad. Even the sorta garish art style works within context.

It came out at a shitty time so basically everyone missed it. :p

Gearboxes own fault sadly.

Tons of people did it, but just as I said time and time again, it really is a great game which those people will eventually realize once they actually try it out :p

Tons of people did it, but just as I said time and time again, it really is a great game which those people will eventually realize once they actually try it out :p

I was surprised how quickly I found a match (PS4), given all the talk of low player population.

I've never played a MOBA proper, but the whole mechanic of leveling up your character as the match progressively gets more difficult is clever and works pretty well for this game.

No idea how I'll get enough credits for these characters, though. Or if I can ever handle all of Miko's quips (that voice, woof - fun to use, though).

I was surprised how quickly I found a match (PS4), given all the talk of low player population.

I've never played a MOBA proper, but the whole mechanic of leveling up your character as the match progressively gets more difficult is clever and works pretty well for this game.

No idea how I'll get enough credits for these characters, though. Or if I can ever handle all of Miko's quips (that voice, woof - fun to use, though).

Yeah I've always felt they should have gone a different direction with the marketing and advertised that this was a MOBA first and foremost instead of calling it a hero shooter like Overwatch/Paladins. I always wanted to get into a MOBA but never really could despite trying all the popular ones so I was surprised that this game clicked so much for me. I think it's because I've always really enjoyed FPS games so getting to carry over all those years of experience into what felt like an entirely new genre has been really enjoyable. The credits should stack up pretty quickly and they do events with extra credits/exp from time to time so I'm sure you'll find yourself playing during one of those periods soon :D

It came out at a shitty time so basically everyone missed it. :p

Gearboxes own fault sadly.

I mean it was to a degree. I mean Blizzard intentionally scheduled their release around the same time as this game. They overlapped their closed beta with battleborns open beta, then their open beta with battleborns launch.

Whether intentional or not it seemed like they did this with little opportunity for Gearbox to react. But, I mean Gearbox needed to be confident in their product too, so it's not as if they could shy away from the competition.

It's a shame it didn't have a different release window, because a lot of Battleborns new and unique ideas got muddled with what other games were offering. They lost their marketing message and people couldn't see the difference from one to the other. Battleborn was a very unqiue game but I feel it needed a more isolated marketing window to really convey it's value to its consumers, because it's not a game whose value springs out at players within moments. Depth of the games mechanics and gameplay systems are where Battleborn shines, but side by side next to Overwatch, it's easy to see why that message didn't come through.

hollerphonix

Neo Member
Count me amongst those that were skeptical initially. Then last week I was shopping with my buddy and we both ended up buying it as the "collectors edition" ended up being $20. Figure worst case give it a shot trade it in for most of the costrophies blah blah.
What I can say is so far it's been fun. Have been trying to do the story missions and have only managed to complete one as they seem heavily balanced towards group play. I tried a few more story missions but couldn't get matched into a full group on ps4. I'm not sure if this is a connection issue or timing as to when I was trying to play who knows.
Overall it's much better than I gave it credit for but I'm still unclear when it comes to gaining lore for heroes etc but I'm sure it'll come with time.

Zafir

I mean it was to a degree. I mean Blizzard intentionally scheduled their release around the same time as this game. They overlapped their closed beta with battleborns open beta, then their open beta with battleborns launch.

Whether intentional or not it seemed like they did this with little opportunity for Gearbox to react. But, I mean Gearbox needed to be confident in their product too, so it's not as if they could shy away from the competition.

It's a shame it didn't have a different release window, because a lot of Battleborns new and unique ideas got muddled with what other games were offering. They lost their marketing message and people couldn't see the difference from one to the other. Battleborn was a very unqiue game but I feel it needed a more isolated marketing window to really convey it's value to its consumers, because it's not a game whose value springs out at players within moments. Depth of the games mechanics and gameplay systems are where Battleborn shines, but side by side next to Overwatch, it's easy to see why that message didn't come through.
Well, yes Blizzard did do that. That's competition though. Business is rough.

Even just delaying it would have helped in my opinion, which I'm pretty sure they did have time for from what I remember - the release announcement wasn't that close to release. It's not like there was much hype that they'd have lost from doing that. I don't know why they thought they could still compete against Overwatch.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNajixPavFo

Trailer for Attikus and the Thrall Rebellion, which drops today.

Really interested in seeing the new taunts and skins. Does anyone know if there's any new gear? Also a new versus mode, Faceoff. Sounds kind of like Kill Confirmed from CoD.

Huge meta changes to lots of characters in the update today.

Looking forward to checking out both. Faceoff does sound interesting, like Kill Confirmed, except you're killing AI and picking up drops to deposit in a central location, with teams having to balance between gathering the drops and defending the center to keep the other team from making deposits (or locking it down so your team can't deposit).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNajixPavFo

Trailer for Attikus and the Thrall Rebellion, which drops today.

Really interested in seeing the new taunts and skins. Does anyone know if there's any new gear? Also a new versus mode, Faceoff. Sounds kind of like Kill Confirmed from CoD.

Huge meta changes to lots of characters in the update today.

Excited to give this a go. Good to see that they're still making an effort, the trailer looks pretty neat.

Xevren

More talk about the best change though...no more damn teammate collision! Hoping to give the new stuff a try when I can, new mode sounds neat.

The story DLC/new mode update is live! It's nearly a 7 GB update on PC.

Whenever it gets down downloading, I will then look forward to playing the new story DLC.

Top Bottom