• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battleborn |OT| Multiplayer Online Bad-Ass Shooter

danowat

Banned
If you like MOBAs/Gearbox stuff (although I am no Borderlands fan, but love this, go figure...)/shooters then yes, why not.

It's best appreciated, imo, as a MOBA FPS with a sprinkling of loot-shooter co-op 'dungeons' for variety.

I liked Borderlands, but it's the online focus that puts me off, I am not very good at competitive online games now.

Going to fire this up tonight. Is there any sort of training mode? I'm not familiar with MOBA type games.

Story and in particular the first mission teaches you a lot about how the game is played. What platform did you get it for? I would say the best way to learn is with someone who already plays the game, with that said, it's not that complicated.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Story and in particular the first mission teaches you a lot about how the game is played. What platform did you get it for? I would say the best way to learn is with someone who already plays the game, with that said, it's not that complicated.

Just got it in the Humble Bundle.

Meh, already have Pre Sequel on XBO.

Still, I see that the playerbase for Battleborn is getting a tad bit better. Even if can keep a 1k constant player count, that is good for a game that is 5 v 5...

the good part is that the ones that are in it yet, are the loyal ones

I liked Borderlands, but it's the online focus that puts me off, I am not very good at competitive online games now.

Probably avoid, then. For my money it's best online. Co-op story missions are fine, but it's not going to give you the same as Borderlands gave you.

So in response to my lost loot, after tweeting the issue to Gearbox and their community manager, he said there was nothing they could do, apologized and sent me a shift code for two legendary loot packs.

Pretty nice of him, I'm not pissed about it anymore.

I like the co-operative missions. They're akin to completing a dungeon in Borderlands, with a slightly better boss at the end.

The only issue is that the only reason I care about the loot I attain in co-op is because of how that loot functions in in PVP. While loot can be used in PVP, I feel that the impact it can have is far better demonstrated in PVP as opposed to PVE matches, and generally you have more to consider in regards to what loot is valuable, if you play both modes.

So if you're solely a PVE player the reward loop is likely to be a little less effective and you may find the co-operative missions less compelling over time.

daedalius

New incursion map seems alright, feels a bit hard to push but the tunnels and such seem designed quite well.

Looking forward to playing on it more.

New incursion map seems alright, feels a bit hard to push but the tunnels and such seem designed quite well.

Looking forward to playing on it more.

I really like it. It has an interesting dynamic to it and really feels as though it benefits some characters that are perhaps less viable on some of the other maps.

But I feel it's perhaps too disadvantageous for characters that can't accessibly get out of lane when they please. The map is infinitely more open for characters like Thorn, Caldarius, Benedict, Phoebe and Attikus who can jump back to the safety of their defensive sentry at almost any point in the battle, while less vertically mobile characters are forced to extend extremely far out from their defensive area with very few options to retreat.

Similarly, the defensive sniper perch for the first sentry is really high up. So you can only displace the sniper easily with characters that can jump up there. As Phoebe, I could just teleport up there for an easy kill on a mediocre Marquis, but as anyone else, you either have a long walk around, or you have to deal with getting peppered by sniper bullets from above, every time you try to make a push.

Gurrry

Its been awhile battlegaf. I need to hop back in and check out that new map. Dissapointed we still dont have a 2nd dlc character though. I saved all 45k of my stupid coins for that snake guy.

Its been awhile battlegaf. I need to hop back in and check out that new map. Dissapointed we still dont have a 2nd dlc character though. I saved all 45k of my stupid coins for that snake guy.

28th if you have the season pass, but I think a week or so after for everyone else. Not too far now :)

Starter skin pack from 2K Humble bundle. Redemption Instructions here: https://support.humblebundle.com/hc/en-us/articles/223147548

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (boybrushdRED, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Battleborn Starter Skin Pack PC -- MB-45025EDC0A8F15C1 - Taken by Remmy2112. 2 entrants total.

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Battleborn Starter Skin Pack PC was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

t1469248269z1.png

Kalentan

So I got this in the bundle and... while I am enjoying the campagin a lot- the MP seems really unbalanced. Like REALLY unbalanced. Like they never once put thought into how the game is balanced because there are characters who are simply too stupidly power, fast, and tanky.

So I got this in the bundle and... while I am enjoying the campagin a lot- the MP seems really unbalanced. Like REALLY unbalanced. Like they never once put thought into how the game is balanced because there are characters who are simply too stupidly power, fast, and tanky.

Eh, it's not that unbalanced at all. But which characters were you thinking were over or underpowered? Perhaps I could tell you about their strengths / weaknesses. Maybe it's also to do with you having difficulty finding a good PvP build with the character you're playing too?

Thus far, the level of play in BB hasn't reached a point where it's evident that certain characters are dominating, and for the most part, it seems more contingent on the individuals skill than anything else.

Everyone is pretty viable I would say. I think there are a couple of characters that stand out as generally being useful in a few too many situations than others, but generally speaking I can hop about the cast without feeling disadvantaged. Nothing that isn't typical to games in this genre though, and Gearbox have already demonstrated considerable efforts to rework the cast when a character seems too effective.

daedalius

What characters seem that way?

I've been playing more than a little, and it doesn't seem that way to me.

I find Mellka a little too easy to play at times, but I am beast, obvs.

I like the new maps. Had an absolutely epic game on Outskirts, proper 5v5 properly skill-matched. Won by 30 points.

I find Mellka a little too easy to play at times, but I am beast, obvs.

I like the new maps. Had an absolutely epic game on Outskirts, proper 5v5 properly skill-matched. Won by 30 points.

I mean, characters definitely have differential learning curves. But their peak efficacy is pretty similar, I would say.

I feel that Melka is one of the weaker characters if anything, but that just goes to show you that it doesn't really matter who you're playing, at least not at the moment. If we were seeing BB $1,000,000 tournaments, I expect we'd see some character usage spiking quite a bit, but at the moment everything exists in an environment where everything is viable.

I think El Dragon is too good, if anything.

Mellka's damage output is irritatingly high when fighting against her. She's best played as a constant aggressor, needling and harassing and then unloading a Spike>Parting Gift>Ult combo. I love playing her, running around on 200hp and jumping like a loon.

El Dragon is a beast, but I find most people play him too unsafely. He's so squishy.

Kalentan

Eh, it's not that unbalanced at all. But which characters were you thinking were over or underpowered? Perhaps I could tell you about their strengths / weaknesses. Maybe it's also to do with you having difficulty finding a good PvP build with the character you're playing too?

Thus far, the level of play in BB hasn't reached a point where it's evident that certain characters are dominating, and for the most part, it seems more contingent on the individuals skill than anything else.

Everyone is pretty viable I would say. I think there are a couple of characters that stand out as generally being useful in a few too many situations than others, but generally speaking I can hop about the cast without feeling disadvantaged. Nothing that isn't typical to games in this genre though, and Gearbox have already demonstrated considerable efforts to rework the cast when a character seems too effective.

What characters seem that way?

I've been playing more than a little, and it doesn't seem that way to me.

Sorry meant to get back sooner...

But it was Ambra and Phoebe who were near unstoppable and impossible to kill by a few min into the game. At one point our entire team collapsed on Phoebe and it was like nothing was happening.

Not to mention they kept getting random overshields at intervals.

daedalius

But it was Ambra and Phoebe who were near unstoppable and impossible to kill by a few min into the game. At one point our entire team collapsed on Phoebe and it was like nothing was happening.

Phoebe is an ultra-squishy assassin, if your whole team attacked her, they must have all been missing. She is very good at being an assassin though, her DPS on a target is staggering. I'm not a huge fan of her ult though, other than for area denial and killing sentries.

Ambra is also pretty squishy, but when she is properly supporting she can be hard to take out unless you dive on her; her auto-overshield when she drops below a certain HP threshold can be aggravating, but not too hard to punch through.

A Phoebe Pentastriked my team the other day. Perfect storm of over extending on a Sentry, all super weak, and her being on form. Was pretty impressive. We still won though.

Ambra gets over-shield when she drops below a certain HP thresh hold. It gives her 450 extra HP, effectively. It's not random.

Phoebe is actually a very weak character in terms of her defense. Her advantage is the ability to teleport in and out. She's easy to focus down but can get away if you're not quick. Most Phoebe players will try and focus on isolated players where they can deal a lot of damage to you very quickly, while slowing you.

dugdug

Banned
So I got this from Gamefly and kinda fell in love with it. Bought the digital deluxe version over this past weekend on PS4.

Is Pendles out now? I still haven't even been able to try all the characters yet.

B-Dex

So I got this from Gamefly and kinda fell in love with it. Bought the digital deluxe version over this past weekend on PS4.

Is Pendles out now? I still haven't even been able to try all the characters yet.

Yup. If you have the DD or season pass you can play Pendles.

He is pretty fun. Love his design. But I'm. It a fan of the meter focused characters. In multi they just he destroyed and everyone jumps around like maniacs making it hard to hit anyone.

I've been playing with Pendles quite a bit, probably my favourite character, I think it's a really inventive way to do stealth in this type of game. Most MOBAs tend to do it as simply a pure invisibility thing, but here it feels as though you need to be sneaky because of the cloaking effect, but also, you're less visible when standing still, so you can pull off a lot of neat maneuvers and kills through misdirection. It makes the moment to moment invisibility gameplay feel intelligent and rewarding rather than merely the result of a skill activation, with the next meaningful gameplay moment occurring when you decide to uncloak.

I didn't really get him in the fist game I played. I heard he'd be hit and run so I just tried to play him as I play my Phoebe, and ended up going 4 and 6, losing the game. Wasn't that happy about that and didn't really feel that the character seemed that valuable.

Decided to switch up the build, less focus on damage, put on a shard generator, a +500 HP item, and a damage/attack speed legendary and went running around the map taking all the shards and buildables, killing low hp targets as they went to retreat or shift lanes.

After that shift in playstyle, I first went 10-2, then 10-0, then 17-1 and finally 23-0. I was pretty happy with those scores, though we still managed to lose on of those games (team sucked, had a Kelvin that ended 1-14).

I also found myself ending matches with between 15 and 20,000 shards collected, most turrets destroyed, most turrets built, and of course highest score. I ignored minions, but managed to keep up on level by killing buildables and mercenaries. It was such a distinct playstyle to what I've been used to in Battleborn, but it's incredibly effective.

There were many instances where I'd start at their accelerator, and end up destroying 2x accelerators, 2x health generators and 2x thumper turrets, all in succession. It's crazy how he can take 4000+ shards worth of items from the opposing team, all in a matter of seconds, and at very low risk to himself.

In combat though I found him quite hard to play, really having to rely on dealing the finishing blows, and focusing down isolated enemies. Even when I could isolate them, the uncloaked movement speed was a killer. Even if you use items that grant minor advantages to movement speed, it's just not enough to chase after many of the cast. Someone like Alani can always just turn around, riptide you away, and run away. Even if you catch back up to her, the extreme slowing effect of your poison dash thing fades rather quickly (even with the 3s mutation), so she can just walk away. Similar situations with the rest of the cast, because of that I felt like I really had to focus on 'hit and run'. Dishing out as much damage as possible within the first couple of seconds, then just going invisible and running if they didn't die. It worked fine but it's a much less aggressive playstyle than the rest of Assassins can perform.

Yup. If you have the DD or season pass you can play Pendles.

He is pretty fun. Love his design. But I'm. It a fan of the meter focused characters. In multi they just he destroyed and everyone jumps around like maniacs making it hard to hit anyone.

Hard to read this but I think you meant that you're not a fan of melee focused characters and they get destroyed because of jumping?

It can be a pain in the ass, but they can't jump high if they're slowed, and Pendles gets an extreme slow on his poison Kama attack (forget the name). That keeps characters with high jumps (like thorn and caldarius) pretty grounded. If a regular character jumps you can still hit them in the air, they don't jump high enough to evade the verticality of most melee hitboxes.

But as I say, you really need to focus on weakened characters with Pendles. Focus on instances where they've chosen to fight one of your allies, because they believe it's a 1 vs 1, or even a 2 vs 2, and then you hop in when they've over committed with an extreme slow on your first target. It becomes a 3 vs 2, and they've missevaluated the situation, they either retreat, or fight a losing battle, if they retreat, you benefit from 25% extra back damage... easy kills.

I am really liking Monuments and Outskirts. The latter especially. The double thrall path on Monuments is great, it's like the Echelon path but pushed even closer to the enemy sentry, meaning the 'corner battle' is diminished as against a map like Overgrowth.

Pendles seems cool, I like his mechanics, as Chronospherics outlines above. Not got the season pass so won't have him for a while, but that's OK as just discovering Phoebe...

Been on a bit of a binge recently. The cast may be relatively small (27 now), but it feels dense in how complex and intricate each character can be, and how that synergises.

I really like the skyboxes too:

Thumbnail_Large.PNG

Thumbnail_Large.PNG

/general Battleborn appreciation post.

So, is there any merit to the F2P rumor? I'm tempted to jump on the PS Flash Sale since it comes with the Season Pass, but I'm afraid I'll end up regretting my purchase if the game is going to move to a F2P model in the near future.

Krelian

So I've started playing the PVP side of this game and it's more fun than I thought. Until now I've only played the co-op story missions with a friend. It feels different in PVP but I think I'm starting to get it. What's sad is that there doesn't seem to be many players still playing the game (Xbox One). I'm unable to find a match for Capture or Meltdown. I've been sitting here for 15 minutes waiting for enough players for Capture. Incursion seems to be the only game type with a somewhat healthy player base :(

Memory

So, is there any merit to the F2P rumor? I'm tempted to jump on the PS Flash Sale since it comes with the Season Pass, but I'm afraid I'll end up regretting my purchase if the game is going to move to a F2P model in the near future.

I don't think it will go F2P for atleast a year for 2 reasons.

1. It would kill consumer confidence in Gearbox games, why buy another at full price when the last game went f2p in 6 months?

2. It takes a while to convert a game and its mechanics to a profitable f2p model

Just my 2cents though, could be wrong. Although they would also need an opportune time to announce and introduce f2p, i can't see a good time anytime soon with all the releases coming from now until march.

I don't think it will go F2P for atleast a year for 2 reasons.

1. It would kill consumer confidence in Gearbox games, why buy another at full price when the last game went f2p in 6 months?

2. It takes a while to convert a game and its mechanics to a profitable f2p model

Just my 2cents though, could be wrong. Although they would also need an opportune time to announce and introduce f2p, i can't see a good time anytime soon with all the releases coming from now until march.

they are already doing this for skins..
no offense, gearbox has lost me as a customer..

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
It won't go F2P until at least all the season pass content is out. Can't fuck over those who bought that.

Pjsprojects

Picked this up a few days ago in the Humble bundle,so far just playing the campaign in co-op with a mate. Not sure why the game gets so much dislikes tbh.
Just to add I also picked up Overwatch a couple of days ago and up to now I don't see what all the massive hype is about?

So I've started playing the PVP side of this game and it's more fun than I thought. Until now I've only played the co-op story missions with a friend. It feels different in PVP but I think I'm starting to get it. What's sad is that there doesn't seem to be many players still playing the game (Xbox One). I'm unable to find a match for Capture or Meltdown. I've been sitting here for 15 minutes waiting for enough players for Capture. Incursion seems to be the only game type with a somewhat healthy player base :(

Still get games on inc and meltdown, on xbone. Never play capture.

I wouldn't bother queuing 15 minutes. More than 5 and something is wrong: Try a refresh. Should never take that long, rarely does for me.

Man, Pendles is fucking boring imho.

He does little damage. The only fun part is sabotaging the enemy team, stealing their shards and destroying their structures while cloaked.

Top Bottom