• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

Rainy Dog

I think the PS3 version looks smashing. Miles nicer on your own set-up than those dodgy screens a few pages back suggest. There's some tearing, mostly noticeable on the first, open part of the map. But I recall the first BFBC2 beta having worse tearing than the final game, so hopefully they optimise it out as much as possible for the retail release of this as well.

General IQ is good to great by todays console game standards. There's some shimmering and alaising here and there, but I'll take that that plus the sharper IQ that MLAA affords. The tiny black borders aren't noticeable when playing and are a non-issue.

Framerate is perfectly fine, neither here nor there from BFBC2. General art direction and details make it look much nicer than BFBC2 though. Smoke, explosions and general effects are improved tenfold. Gun and character models are far superior, and DICE have finally learned how to do usable iron sights :p Ok, BFBC2 Vietnam and MOH had those in order anyway. Audio is incredible as expected and raises the bar once again.

Gunplay feels weightier than BFBC2, there's now a sense of feedback and connection when your shots hit. Really liking that. I'd say that it feels closer to MOH single player than anything else, which is is good thing in my opinion. I felt Danger Close got that spot on. The animation and general feel is fantastic. Even just going in and out of prone is so well done. Very, very polished stuff.

Spotting doesn't feel as pronounced as BFBC2. The orange triangles aren't half as big and easy to blindly fire at and score random kills. And it does seem that they disappear when the player is out of direct view. Good. Anyone know what the bleep sound means when you press select but don't actually spot someone?

Still not sure about the map itself. Been on the winning team 3 times in 4 matches as an attacker, but I think that's just down the defending teams not knowing where to watch and cover in the underground station area.

Good stuff overall, and pleased how it's turned out.

Amagon

CozMick said:
Got my beta email from EA.

There is no code for MoH players, they just tell you to access it through the PSN store...
When I searched "Battlefield 3" on the PSN, I don't see anything for the beta.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
THE NO LIFE KING said:
When I searched "Battlefield 3" on the PSN, I don't see anything for the beta.
Same here and I got a confirmation for early access back in July. It may not be up on the store yet.

Bru

Arcipello said:
JUST GOT MY PREORDER KEY!!!! here in UK

now i just need to get through the rest of my work day :(

Looks like it's our turn to join the party!

Only a few hours until the day shift finishes, time to start watching that clock tick down.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
zephervack said:
Hmm seems like they are going through regions, first Australia, now UK...

would make sense give it to the people who are in the later time zones first and work your way down although this whole ordeal is chalked up to incompetence

I bought MoH day one but don't remember any sort of BF3 beta code being inside of it. Seeing people say PSN beta requires no code, are they going by PSN ID or something? In which case I'd still be good?

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
blahblah...blah said:
As a UK preorderer, I'm now worried that I won't be getting a key for some weird reason, even though I preordered BF3 a month ago!

well on the plus side if they dont give you the goods you paid money for you can make bank off suing them

TheJerit

k, im not going to whore out, but i will make my one statement; if anyone does have a spare pc key, i'd be grateful. i've been active in this thread and others and also played some alpha with gaf. which reminds me, thanks for the platoon link. i need to go sign up for that.

Yaska

Got my key in email ("thank you for your preorder <- haven't preordered from Origin so guess it's the Alpha code) Downloading atm^^

Smokey

Nekrono said:
We should have an 'official' GAF platoon, like it should be in the OP and be updated, etc.

We do. Somnia started it last night while we were in the beta. Dunno if he planned to keep it updated though.

TheJerit

Yaska said:
Got my key in email ("thank you for your preorder <- haven't preordered from Origin so guess it's the Alpha code) Downloading atm^^

markey_mark_wtf.gif

Smokey said:
We do. Somnia started it last night while we were in the beta. Dunno if he planned to keep it updated though.
Is there a limit how many people can join a platoon or is it like Steam Groups with million+ users?

If there is a limit, we need to divide it by region i.e. GAFe or GAFw or GAFuk

Spl1nter

shagg_187 said:
Is there a limit how many people can join a platoon or is it like Steam Groups with million+ users?

GAFelite

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
shagg_187 said:

No Alpha, beta platoons? :l

Looks like the keys are pretty much taken now so I've accepted I'm waiting til Wednesday.

Someone please post in the BF3 PC Community thread about server hosts. I want to know how they are etc. :) I've got more money ready to donate if they're decent!

Hideo Kuze

Neo Member
When Medal of Honor was released I bought it solely to get into the BF3 beta, the thing is I only realised the other week that I got the one without the beta access... =( Have fun playing it early guys, I'm going to play ME 2, on 360 and start and finish The Arrival, I don't think that'll last till the beta opens for everyone though. =(

LEGGZZZZ

Rainy Dog said:
PS3 Impressions

Thanks mate, great impressions, really go into detail about certain things, I appreciate it. Sounds like exactly what I expected, a great looking game. I'll be happy if it ends up looking better than BFBC2 Vietnam, as I thought that looked great as well.

Smokey

shagg_187 said:

Can check when I get home from work :(

I'll say a mic is needed in this game. It's really too much to stop in the action, press k, type, then pick up again. Stuff is intense. That can be costly.

Top Bottom