• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Runs and looks good, and good to see they fixed the bug so you get points for healing people.

Metro is a shit map and shouldn't be in the game, let alone the Alpha/Beta map. Still getting a bug that gives me a black screen and have to reset my machine. Destruction is pretty limited, and from what I've seen only a few objects actually break. Can't make squads and no Command Rose yet.

Need the conquest map or I probably won't bother to play the beta much more.

GJS

Shaundakahl said:
I've had three, but it's such an easy and crisp CTD that I don't really mind too much. I think gutting the game and using battlelog helps out a lot in being able to alt+tab smoothly, and also makes the CTDs a more pleasant experience. They still suck, just to be clear.
Actual CTDs? Or are you just getting disconnected from the server? I've had a few instances where the game has closed mid match but it's been due to disconnections and battlelog reflects that in the game manager.

Really enjoying it so far. The terrain in the park is quite annoying though. It's making the screen jumpy and it's really easy to fall into the ground when you go prone.

_woLf

I really wish I bought MoH/preordered or Origin right about now. I didn't think two days would be that long of an extra wait, but the wait is killing me! bah

rabhw said:
Besides point #1, all of the others seem like deliberate design decisions.

For point #2, as long as your initial list of results is accurate, this is not a bad thing. Provides faster response and I rarely look past the first page of servers anyways, since I sort by ping.

For settings, yeah, that sucks.

#4 is a DICE idiotic decision. Bad Company 2 was the same way until a few patches in (and still makes you wait for the map to load before exiting), MOH still won't let you disconnect from the server until you join the next round.

Christ, another terrible experience with Origin. Download won't start. Keeps resetting, and then acting like it's going to start up again, but then it doesn't.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Repi has answered specific technical questions about BF3, about the graphics settings, SLI optimization and even about stereoscopic 3d, but when I asked for some clarification on the squad system he told me to keep "beta questions in the beta forums".

wut?

Menelaus

Banned
belvedere said:
Repi has answered specific technical questions about BF3, about the graphics settings, SLI optimization and even about stereoscopic 3d, but when I asked for some clarification on the squad system he told me to keep "beta questions in the beta forums".

wut?
Repi is their graphics whore. He's not the person to ask about gameplay decisions, that's Demize.

DTKT

belvedere said:

wut?

He's part of the graphical programming team. That question would be more suited to Demize.

PaNaMa

Banned
Has anyone been in contact with EA and received any help? It's almost 7pm local time, and I have not got my invite from having MOH or from Preording on Origin.
Online chat just drops you when your turn comes (no one answers - don't even get an agent now. You just get a statement saying there's no one available to help and it disconnects you).

Where is our early access? One day out of the 2 day "early access" is already gone for me, and still no email and no one to contact about it.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
PaNaMa said:
Has anyone been in contact with EA and received any help? It's almost 7pm local time, and I have not got my invite from having MOH or from Preording on Origin.
Online chat just drops you when your turn comes (no one answers - don't even get an agent now. You just get a statement saying there's no one available to help and it disconnects you).

Where is our early access? One day out of the 2 day "early access" is already gone for me, and still no email and no one to contact about it.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are done giving out Origin codes. I've given up on checking my inbox.

MNC

I actually like Battlelog. I also hate it.

For one, it doesn't support x64 bit browsers. This makes it so that once I click BF3, it first boots Origin (I'm not leaving that shit on 24/7!), then starts "BF3", which is Battlelog browser, which goes to my x64 browser by default. Then I have to copy the link, open it in the x32 version, then relogin because it doesn't have my credentials, then once I'm finally there, I can easily browse servers, and even let the game load in the background.

The fact that I can load the game in the background and how there's no real menu is really neat and lacking. I love menus, but I love the way Battlelog handles booting games.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
They still haven't fixed the bug where you can't aim down the sights unless you change weapons, Eng kit is hilarious in the metro part of the map, just fire rockets at choke points and grab loads of kills.

Doesn't feel all that different from the alpha to be honest.

Prezhulio

PaNaMa said:

exact same situation. i mean i can wait, but come the fuck on, one of these ways should have got me said early access

Arnie

Anyone willing to swap a PS3 code for a 360 one?

Wait I've got the email for early access on PS3, is it tied to my account? I don't have my console with me at Uni.

Eric WK

Pretty hilarious leading a team while playing with a controller on PC. That said, I really wish I had this for early for 360 instead.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Salacious Crumb said:
So, how different does the gunplay feel to BC2?
The guns feel more real. Like proper physics have been applied. I don't know if it was that or just playing it at almost 60fps that made the animations and gunplay better. So for me, yes, gunplay felt better but I'm not everyone else :p

Arnie said:
Anyone willing to swap a PS3 code for a 360 one?

Wait I've got the email for early access on PS3, is it tied to my account? I don't have my console with me at Uni.

PS3 invites cannot be swapped/traded/given away. They are tied to accounts/e-mails.

Arnie

AngelSoldier said:
PS3 invites cannot be swapped/traded/given away. They are tied to accounts/e-mails.
Thank you. I guess I'll ring my brother and see if he wants to sign in on my account details. Don't have my PS3 at Uni.

Nekrono

9976ecaee6f67dac5d81c65cb9647d18d2290b0f.PNG

**This server requires password to join**

I want to cry.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
LiquidMetal14 said:
COME AT GRACE CHEN
I've never really cared to wait for PSN updates before since it's usually just DLC or something that I want but this is torture. Tons of key beggars have gotten in and I'm still waiting. I even gave away a 360 code. Oh well, I got a lot of work done this afternoon. Hopefully it'll be up after dinner.

Roche

Guys I'm rather annoyed at the moment:

Desiree:
Thank you for contacting Origin Help. My name is Desiree. How may I assist you today?

you:
Hello Desiree

you:
I'm just contacting to inquire about the BF3 early beta

Desiree:
Sure

you:
I was talking to another agent earlier who told me that the early access was not available to Europeans

you:
However I have since discovered that this isn't the case

you:
As several of my friends and the Origin client itself have told me

Desiree:
MaY I have your order number please .

you:
One moment

you:
ORDER NUMBER

Desiree:
Sure

you:
I would just like to know if I'm entitled to an early beta key and when I would be getting it if I am

you:
Since the FAQ says the early beta keys are being sent out today and it's fairly late in the day here

Desiree:
Sure just a moment.

Desiree:
The early access is only for the U.s.

you:
You've either got misinformation on your end or the Origin client for Europe is wrong

you:
http://www.abload.de/img/proofg7nb.png

you:
This is what the Origin client told me when I pre ordered the game

Desiree:
OFFER VALID IN U.S. AND CANADA. EARLY BETA ACCESS VALID ONLY IN U.S. CUSTOMERS WILL BE NOTIFIED ABOUT THE EARLY ACCESS AND PRE-LOAD VIA EMAIL.

you:
Might I see where this is stated online?

Desiree:
http://store.origin.com/store/ea/ht...3_US_LE?easid=Origin-BF3_Web_Hero_PreorderNow

Desiree:
That is the Origin website

you:
That is the US Origin website which redirects Europeans to the Origin homepage

you:
Origin will not allow me to access the US site so it redirects to the European site

you:
I'm just going off what the European store told me I was entitled too

you:
Hello?

Desiree:
I do apologize but there is nothing I can do for the Beta Early access.

you:
Is there anything I can do or anyone I can talk to in order to get the Early access I was promised?

Desiree:
I am the highest level of support in this department I do apologize for the inconvenience .

you:
Alright then thanks for your time, I understand your limited position in this matter and appreciate the clarification

Any other Euro's actually get their keys?

Ok, so first impressions is mostly positive.

Biggest issue is the fact that my game freezes all the time, so I have to CAD out. I haven't managed to play two rounds yet. When I enter the game I'm told my driver is too old, but it is the one I am given at nvidia.com, so I am confused by that. The game runs fine on low otherwise, except for some slight lag on the final section when looking oiut one of the windows.

Gunplay and hitboxes seem superior to BC2, which was it's weakest point. Guns have actual recoil.

The map is unimpressive, I don't hate it or anything, it just doesn't interest me. It boggles my mind that they use rush instead of conquest for the beta. Aside from having fewer players (and being the inferior mode), there's no vehicles. Atleast Port Valdez had vehicles.

Not a big fan of battlelog. It finally stopped trying to put me in US servers atleast. I don't like how I can't change my setup before I join a server. Overall it works pretty poorly, and I am forced to use quick match to play, but I expect that to improve. DICE suck at this shit.

Anyway, this is the tipping point. It's time to get of my lazy ass and unbox my new PC.

Roche178 said:
Any other Euro's actually get their keys?

I got mine. I did not preorder the game on Origin though.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Has anyone looked at the beta PC files to see if there's a hint of Battlecorder in there somewhere? To be honest, I'm getting a bit worried. No mention of it still and I'm really hoping one of the Battleblogs talk about that next.

kamspy

- Battlelog seems like a great thing. I can leave it open as I browse and it makes me play the game a lot more. The main thing I'd like is to be able to access game options from Battlelog. You can even change them between spawns (unless I'm completely overlooking something)

- Gameplay gets better and better the more I play.

- I get disconnected a lot. Probably half my games. I think EA has a system that monitors your progress in the games and crashes the ones you're doing good in. :/

- Graphics are underwhelming. Gamma seems off and I can't correct it. Everything is washed out, and players glow in the dark in the subway.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
TomcatTheLion said:
If I preordered at Origin now would I still be able to get into the beta today?

I'm pretty sure you had to preorder before the 25th to get into the beta early.

...though I did and never got my key, so maybe they'll fuck up and send you one anyway.

Top Bottom