• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT2| Mine! RendeZook! Wa Isl!

patapuf

Still pissed that they keep treating console and PC versions as the same game, PC should really be getting its own balance patches.

I agree, i don't know how they split their rescources for patching and stuff but it's pretty obvious to me that 24 player conquest has to be balanced differently than 64.

And they could be a bit more flexible about patching on pc too. No need to wait until the next expansion comes out for simple bugfixes.

Arucardo

Anyone else getting constant crashes? I have a feeling my nvidia beta 306.02 drivers broke my game.

Nope, not a single crash with the latest beta drivers. Played about 2 or 3 hours after installing them yesterday along with the MW online and Planetside 2 betas.

sp3000

I agree, i don't know how they split their rescources for patching and stuff but it's pretty obvious to me that 24 player conquest has to be balanced differently than 64.

And they could be a bit more flexible about patching on pc too. No need to wait until the next expansion comes out for simple bugfixes.

They insist on gimping the PC version at every possible turn. Nothing new from them really.

-Amon-

I know, I've never been overly impressed with the the graphics anyway (on consoles), but this is atrocious! They should have never released these like this. I need a PC....

Wrong thread, lol I needed the peasant thread.

LjBBa.jpg

Anyone else getting constant crashes? I have a feeling my nvidia beta 306.02 drivers broke my game.

got-stood-up-again-keeps-looking-for-love-in-alderaan-places-darth-vader-240x180.jpg

Mazdarati

Neo Member
Perhaps helis routinely going 50-0 had no advantage whatsoever. DICE was short-sighted and reactionary to look at statistics like that and adjust the game.

Routinely?
In my experience, if there was a helo crew going 50-0, then there was a jet pilot who then 80-0 on that team. The only times I saw heli's completely dominating and seeming indestructible was when their team had complete air superiority. Whoever is using the AA becomes ineffective, their jets rule the sky, and heli's have free reign to go 50-0. They can focus solely on tanks and infantry. I don't see that as heli's having an unfair(OP) advantage requiring a change.

I've rarely encountered a balanced match in which the opposing team's heli crew was impossible to bring down.

I'm still very sad they took out the swearing Russian medic

greatest bug ever

Also noticed that the LAV doesn't have the weapon switch delay the tank got in the last patch, so one equipped with the APFSDS shell is probably better against vehicles than a tank now lawl

patapuf

I'm still very sad they took out the swearing Russian medic

greatest bug ever

Also noticed that the LAV doesn't have the weapon switch delay the tank got in the last patch, so one equipped with the APFSDS shell is probably better against vehicles than a tank now lawl

Bwahaha that's good to know. Though considering the TOW rocket is unafected by the change that would have been the case anyway.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
No one is saying much about it, but the heatseekers on jets got an uber buff. They lock on quicker and I've had one pull a 180 and hit a jet flying behind me. Hilarity ensued. Makes me wonder if it's better to just eat the AA and equip repair because you can't flare quick enough now.

Armored Kill review by Luetin

Sounds like he ranks the maps:

1. Death Valley
2. Alborz Mountains
3. Bandar Desert
4. Armored Shield

Apparently Armored Shield is as uninspired as it looks, and has pretty bad design. Glad Alborz plays as good as it looks.

AC130 is super-powered, but also pretty vulnerable. Can't be ignored, basically.

EDIT: Although this guy basically has the opposite opinion on the maps. Will probably play completely different on PC.

I'm down for a PC meetup Sept 11.

1. Death Valley
2. Alborz Mountains
3. Bandar Desert
4. Armored Shield

Apparently Armored Shield is as uninspired as it looks, and has pretty bad design. Glad Alborz plays as good as it looks.

AC130 is super-powered, but also pretty vulnerable. Can't be ignored, basically.

EDIT: Although this guy basically has the opposite opinion on the maps. Will probably play completely different on PC.

Did I just see someone unlock a TOW for the Javelin in the video?

OG Kush

I've been hearing A LOT about how rush is broken in Armored Kill. i really hope they fix this shit server side and we don't have to wait ages for a patch.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

1. Death Valley
2. Alborz Mountains
3. Bandar Desert
4. Armored Shield

Is he reviewing the PC version or the console version?

Oh my God...I love being an Engineer again.

Fuck your chopper.

I don't even know how people are enjoying it, it's so easy it isn't even fun. Now all choppers that want to avoid it fly as high as possible close to the base firing TV guided missiles, so much fun.

Seriously, all the kills you are getting now is from clueless people. DICE ruined helicopters for people that used them the most, but gave shorts bursts of fun (before they get shot down) for people that didn't.

I played a lot yesterday. I think that my problem is more with the stinger damage than anything else about how they work.

I feel like the best solution is for it to take a few stingers to give a chopper a problem. It isn't realistic but I think it would make the game mechanic work a bit better.

As it is, while I did manage to get quite a few kills in the chopper, it was a matter of how many I could get in the 10 seconds before I was shot down.

Nekrono

God damn "You have been disconnected from EA (1)" error has not let me play at all for the past few days, I join a server then get to the "Logging In" state and it just hangs there for a bit then the error comes in.

It's driving me insane, I've done just about everything to fix it and nothing, annoys me even more considering Armored Kill is coming out in a few days.

Anyone suffering the same problem?

God damn "You have been disconnected from EA (1)" error has not let me play at all for the past few days, I join a server then get to the "Logging In" state and it just hangs there for a bit then the error comes in.

It's driving me insane, I've done just about everything to fix it and nothing, annoys me even more considering Armored Kill is coming out in a few days.

Anyone suffering the same problem?

Nope. Tried forwarding your ports?

mr_nothin

Banned
Also, the more I play this game, the more I'm reminded of how stupid and selfish the general public is.

Play more PS2! I know it's rough right now but there's so much more teamwork involved :)

Also, the fact that the AC-130 is a parachute spawn for the whole team has made me decide against getting Armored Kill. Armored Kill was supposed to get me interested in BF3 again but after hearing about that and having the helicopter nerfs and other silly decisions made (LMG buffs & random unnecessary m416 buff)....I can't support this game any more. AC-130 spawn + 64 players.....oh God....

Mully

I guess my sarcasm meter is broken but Planetside 2 man lol

Its not the same man. I want HE grenades, an M14, and Desert Glory. Its all gone. Do you hear me? It's ALL GODDAMNED GONE. THERE'S NOTHING. NO MORE FAT HOSTAGES. NO MORE YELLOW COAT GUY ON FROSTFIRE. ITS PISS IN THE WIND AND THERE ISNT A CHANCE IT WILL EVER COME BACK.

GOD DAMN YOU. GOD DAMN YOU ALL.

PLANETSIDE 2? PFT. ITS A WHOLE DIFFERENT WORLD. THE ONLY THING WE HAVE LEFT IS OUR MINDS AND OURSELVES. BATTLEFIELD 3 IS OUR HOME NOW. OURS!

DON'T. EVER LET IT GO TO WASTE!

NEVERAGAINNEVERAGAINNEVERAGAINNEVERAGAINNEVERAGAINNEVERAGAINNEVERAGAIN

mr_nothin

Banned
Its not the same man. I want HE grenades, an M14, and Desert Glory. Its all gone. Do you hear me? It's ALL GODDAMNED GONE. THERE'S NOTHING. NO MORE FAT HOSTAGES. NO MORE YELLOW COAT GUY ON FROSTFIRE. ITS PISS IN THE WIND AND THERE ISNT A CHANCE IT WILL EVER COME BACK.

GOD DAMN YOU. GOD DAMN YOU ALL.

PLANETSIDE 2? PFT. ITS A WHOLE DIFFERENT WORLD. THE ONLY THING WE HAVE LEFT IS OUR MINDS AND OURSELVES. BATTLEFIELD 3 IS OUR HOME NOW. OURS!

DON'T. EVER LET IT GO TO WASTE!

NEVERAGAINNEVERAGAINNEVERAGAINNEVERAGAINNEVERAGAINNEVERAGAINNEVERAGAIN

D:

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Also, the more I play this game, the more I'm reminded of how stupid and selfish the general public is.
I think the lack of voice chat contributes to this. I remember leading a squad once in BF2 just by giving orders on the mic. It went from Benny Hill to Band of Brothers.

demolitio

It's amazing how one simple thing can scare people off of getting Armored Kill after it being all they talked about for months with BF3. The mobile spawn AC-130 thing is no big deal considering how easy it is to take the thing down, so I don't plan on letting many enemies chute in from there very often, and if so, it doesn't change the fact that the plan is on a set path so they'd have to wait to spawn in on there if they even wanted to get close to where they were going so it also means they'll be waiting longer at the spawn screen if they want to get close to an objective. It's not like people will be raining on each and every flag every second and it's not like the AC-130 will last long in the air each time either considering how easy it is to destroy.

The chopper part is a valid concern, but something like spawning on a slow moving vehicle that's on a set path will not keep me away from something I've been wanting for months which is true vehicular mayhem on large maps. I'm getting it for the parts I love and the rest I'll deal with, but more variety is always a good thing, especially if it means real BF maps. It's not either "love it" or "hate it".

mr_nothin

Banned
It's amazing how one simple thing can scare people off of getting Armored Kill after it being all they talked about for months with BF3. The mobile spawn AC-130 thing is no big deal considering how easy it is to take the thing down, so I don't plan on letting many enemies chute in from there very often, and if so, it doesn't change the fact that the plan is on a set path so they'd have to wait to spawn in on there if they even wanted to get close to where they were going so it also means they'll be waiting longer at the spawn screen if they want to get close to an objective. It's not like people will be raining on each and every flag every second and it's not like the AC-130 will last long in the air each time either considering how easy it is to destroy.

The chopper part is a valid concern, but something like spawning on a slow moving vehicle that's on a set path will not keep me away from something I've been wanting for months which is true vehicular mayhem on large maps. I'm getting it for the parts I love and the rest I'll deal with, but more variety is always a good thing, especially if it means real BF maps. It's not either "love it" or "hate it".

It's the whole "spawn every where" philosophy crap that I cant support. It's one of the things that bothers me the most about BF3...too many spawn points. I dont want to support even more ways of spawning on a map.Makes vehicle transport useless. I was saying I cant wait for AK before the last patch and before seeing how the maps were laid out. All I heard was "vehicle focused" and "bigger/biggest maps". I thought it would allieviate the ton of problems I have with BF3 but I've realized that the problems I have with BF3 are built into it's core and there's no changing that, no matter what kind of maps you put into the game. We've already had real BF maps in B2K and the BF3 design mechanics ruined those maps.

I'll play the game from time to time and I'll just have to remember to cut my brain off and play for myself. As of right now, I wont be putting more money into the game though...no matter how good a trailer looks. I'll pay close attention to Aftermath and Endgame and see how they turn out but I doubt they'll sway me.

I might have been wanting it for months but that was before I knew more details about it.

OG Kush

I think the lack of voice chat contributes to this. I remember leading a squad once in BF2 just by giving orders on the mic. It went from Benny Hill to Band of Brothers.

Have DICE ever given a reason why they didn't put in voice chat? Its utterly stupid that they didn't. its really hurt the game.

sp3000

Have DICE ever given a reason why they didn't put in voice chat? Its utterly stupid that they didn't. its really hurt the game.

Pretty much because their incompetent and useless. They put it in battlelog because they thought they were geniuses and it would allow to chat with your friends. Instead, no one ever uses it and the game is totally lacking communication

It's the whole "spawn every where" philosophy crap that I cant support. It's one of the things that bothers me the most about BF3...too many spawn points. I dont want to support even more ways of spawning on a map.Makes vehicle transport useless. I was saying I cant wait for AK before the last patch and before seeing how the maps were laid out. All I heard was "vehicle focused" and "bigger/biggest maps". I thought it would allieviate the ton of problems I have with BF3 but I've realized that the problems I have with BF3 are built into it's core and there's no changing that, no matter what kind of maps you put into the game. We've already had real BF maps in B2K and the BF3 design mechanics ruined those maps.

What's wrong with how the maps are laid out?

I agree with your post though, BF3's core mechanics are flawed and no amount of map design can fix that. The game was at it's best in the alpha stage and has steadily been screwed up with unnessary nerfs and buffs every three months.

I find it hilarious that DICE fakes all of their trailers by staging everything because the teamwork shown in them never actually happens in game.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me

I don't think it was ever officially announced, but I believe it had something to do with the contracts EA had made for battlelog. DICE putting their own VOIP solution in game would likely be in violation of the business arrangement EA made with ESN to put their own Sonar VOIP system into battlelog, so in the end, they leave it up to the player to either use the shitty, high latency, poor quality Sonar or use your own 3rd party solution.

I do much prefer mumble when playing with friends, but being able to call out enemies and positions to my squadmates when solo is much preferable than not.

GenericUser

It's the whole "spawn every where" philosophy crap that I cant support

but i can't spawn everywhere, i can spawn at a flag that my team currently has conquered or at my squadmates location or at a spawn beacon, someone please tell me how I can "spawn everywhere" or how and when dice is going to put that "spawn everywhere" mentality in place.

mr_nothin

Banned
but i can't spawn everywhere, i can spawn at a flag that my team currently has conquered or at my squadmates location or at a spawn beacon, someone please tell me how I can "spawn everywhere" or how and when dice is going to put that "spawn everywhere" mentality in place.
In normal mode: Up to 3 other squadmates, up to 3 spawn beacons, transport vehicles, flags owned by team and now the ac-130. Thats a lot of spawn points spread all around the map at any given point.

The main one i dont agree with is having the transport heli as a spawn point. Its not a "pick up from point a, drop off to point b" vehicle. Its a "fly around while teamates spawn on you and parachute down at random locations across the map" vehicle.

The one right under that is full squad spawning which is complete non-sense. Ive gone over reasons why i hate/disagree with that dozens of times over the past year so i wont go back over that.

All of the spawns just create this artificial omnipresence within the game.

i would say "it may be a problem on PC due to the amount of people that can spawn from it" but with all the jets, choppers, AA vehicles and infantry with stingers, i dunno how long it would stay up in CQ64. right now on console jet pilots are already flying into the blind spot right behind it that it's guns can't aim at and then just wasting it with their guns. it probably takes 3 minutes to fly the full circle.

the AC130 is a different beast in Rush though, since the attackers get so much armor, a jet/heli and some quad bikes while the defenders usually get a jet/heli and one tank and if the AC130 isn't taken out fast, you have people spawning in air behind you in addition to all the other stuff you have to deal with. maybe it gets better in time as people learn to take that shit out first thing...

In normal mode: Up to 3 other squadmates, up to 3 spawn beacons, transport vehicles, flags owned by team and now the ac-130. Thats a lot of spawn points spread all around the map at any given point.

The main one i dont agree with is having the transport heli as a spawn point. Its not a "pick up from point a, drop off to point b" vehicle. Its a "fly around while teamates spawn on you and parachute down at random locations across the map" vehicle.

The one right under that is full squad spawning which is complete non-sense. Ive gone over reasons why i hate/disagree with that dozens of times over the past year so i wont go back over that.

All of the spawns just create this artificial omnipresence within the game.
it's up to 4 beacons and you can't spawn on a squadmate if they have a beacon out!

That's the maximum you can have, while in reality you never do have anywhere near that many.

it's funny when you actually do... like when you're the US team on Wake Island CQ and have all the flags... so many options!!!

GenericUser

I am playing right now and I am just shooting down choppers. Here is everything you have done to me over the past 11 month!! I can honestly feel their anger and their pain, I love it, thanks dice!

glorious patch!

Arucardo

Just to humor myself I tried normal BF3 and my god, it's awful. With some weapons equipped with a silencer you pretty much have to empty your whole mag to kill someone instead of the 2-4 bullets it takes in HC.

Normal is probably fine for vehicles but infantry combat is just messed up, I'll gladly stick with HC. I prefer the HC spotting system too (only shows up on the minimap)

jediyoshi

Just to humor myself I tried normal BF3 and my god, it's awful. With some weapons equipped with a silencer you pretty much have to empty your whole mag to kill someone instead of the 2-4 bullets it takes in HC.

Sounds like lag or deliberately going for limb shots. The average lifespan between someone in the CQ maps doesn't deviate much between HC or not. Chances are if two people turn the corner into each other, neither will manage to run down their ammo completely by the time someone dies.

Top Bottom