• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT2| Mine! RendeZook! Wa Isl!

Arucardo

Sounds like lag or deliberately going for limb shots. The average lifespan between someone in the CQ maps doesn't deviate much between HC or not. Chances are if two people turn the corner into each other, neither will manage to run down their ammo completely by the time someone dies.

Ofc CQ isn't as bad, it's easy to consistently hit someone in the range the CQ maps have, even on full automatic, but medium to long range on B2K maps for example is straight up terrible even without the silencer.

The game was running at 100+ fps, with a 30ms ping and it has client side hit detection so it most definitely wasn't lag.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
but i can't spawn everywhere, i can spawn at a flag that my team currently has conquered or at my squadmates location or at a spawn beacon, someone please tell me how I can "spawn everywhere" or how and when dice is going to put that "spawn everywhere" mentality in place.

AC-130 circling around the crates/map mobile spawn. In Rush
Yes, I play Rush only shut up
the AC-130 can allow sneak attacks from the attackers if the defense doesn't/isn't able to take the AC-130 down before it goes BEHIND their base/defense line. How is that balanced? I was in rounds last week where the enemy did NOTHING but spawn behind our lines as quick as they can and parachute down to arm crates.

"Well, take them out."

I did. And they kept paradropping down since the AC-130's circle is SLOW and allows them to parachute out.

MedIC86

So im not playing BF3 long but im having fun so far. But tell me, this weekend a double XP weekend is coming up, how does that work ? a kill gets you 200 points etc? and if so, i think you rank up a lot faster with that or not?

People shitting themselves about the AC-130 being a mobile spawn must have never played Titan mode in 2142.

So im not playing BF3 long but im having fun so far. But tell me, this weekend a double XP weekend is coming up, how does that work ? a kill gets you 200 points etc? and if so, i think you rank up a lot faster with that or not?

Your score is doubled at the end of every round

If you score 3,000 points as class/vehicle those are doubled to 6,000. After game reward points(ribbons, medals) are not doubled however.

patapuf

Just to humor myself I tried normal BF3 and my god, it's awful. With some weapons equipped with a silencer you pretty much have to empty your whole mag to kill someone instead of the 2-4 bullets it takes in HC.

Normal is probably fine for vehicles but infantry combat is just messed up, I'll gladly stick with HC. I prefer the HC spotting system too (only shows up on the minimap)

The silencer is not supposed to be used at range. You have a flash suppressor for that.

If you take a proper gun like the G3A3, the Scar, the l85A2 or the KH2002 it is not difficult to destroy people at long range and almost any AR kills in 3-4 Bullets at mid range.

The nice thing about normal is that your equipment and loadout matters. Having a medic that heals you (with health packs), wheter your weapon is specced for CQ or long Range combat, the weapon you choose, the difference between a carbine and an AR is also significant ect.

TheSeks

I'm a PS3 player, can I carry over my stats and level to the PC? I thought it could be possible with the battlelog integration.

No. This has been known since slightly before launch. PS3/PC/360/whatever after BF3 stats are SEPARATE and not carry-over-able.

OG Kush

What's wrong with how the maps are laid out?

I agree with your post though, BF3's core mechanics are flawed and no amount of map design can fix that. The game was at it's best in the alpha stage and has steadily been screwed up with unnessary nerfs and buffs every three months.

I find it hilarious that DICE fakes all of their trailers by staging everything because the teamwork shown in them never actually happens in game.

Anyone here play the alpha? how different was it to the current version?

mr_nothin

Banned
People shitting themselves about the AC-130 being a mobile spawn must have never played Titan mode in 2142.

Your score is doubled at the end of every round

It's not just the AC-130 being a spawn itself. It's the AC-130 being a spawn accompanied with all the other spawns that's a problems. We already have more than enough ways to spawn.

Very different. A little slower paced and more methodical. It had it's share of problems but the outlook of the game looked alot more promising back then. 1st off, friendly fire and squad leader only spawning were on by default.

scogoth

You can't crawl underground in Metro anymore =(

The game has changed a lot since alpha. Gun balance is always shifting because DICE keeps fixing things and screwing up other things. The player population is much greater and depending on when you play can be much better or worse than alphas player population. The game is definitely more stable and greater variety of game modes.

Just to humor myself I tried normal BF3 and my god, it's awful. With some weapons equipped with a silencer you pretty much have to empty your whole mag to kill someone instead of the 2-4 bullets it takes in HC.

Normal is probably fine for vehicles but infantry combat is just messed up, I'll gladly stick with HC. I prefer the HC spotting system too (only shows up on the minimap)

i dunno what imaginary normal you're playing... hardcore is 60% health.

it's only really a problem in Rush.

OG Kush

Very different. A little slower paced and more methodical. It had it's share of problems but the outlook of the game looked alot more promising back then. 1st off, friendly fire and squad leader only spawning were on by default.

You can't crawl underground in Metro anymore =(

The game has changed a lot since alpha. Gun balance is always shifting because DICE keeps fixing things and screwing up other things. The player population is much greater and depending on when you play can be much better or worse than alphas player population. The game is definitely more stable and greater variety of game modes.

Ah ok. It is weird how DICE nerfs one thing and then buffs another thing to counter the thing you were meant to nerf anyways.... thats not how it works DICE...

Not enough people use single shot at range. It works wonders until they start bunny hopping.

They need to fix bunny hopping.

What is wrong with the "bunny hopping"? Hell, I wouldn't even call it bunny hopping. It's barely strafe jumping. You don't gain any more speed from turning in the air than you do from jumping forward. Other than getting stuck on random objects and occasionally glitching out while vaulting I think the movement is pretty fluid. It's one of the last things they should worry about changing.

Bunny hopping so good. CS1.6 muscle memory

TFC bhopping was the best because of concing and rocket jumping. ^____________^ <3

Nekrono

For us PC Premium users, do we already have Armored Kill downloaded? Did it come with the patch or something because I can't seem to download, on Origin it says "Unreleased" and when I select "Check for update" nothing comes up.

OG Kush

For us PC Premium users, do we already have Armored Kill downloaded? Did it come with the patch or something because I can't seem to download, on Origin it says "Unreleased" and when I select "Check for update" nothing comes up.
I'm pretty sure it was included in the patch, as its been that case with all the past patches.

patapuf

The maps unlock on the 11th and as far as i know we haven't downloaded the new maps yet.

Woo-Fu

Banned

I think the more likely answer is people just looking for things to bitch about. You'll also notice quite a bit of hyperbole in their claims, "spawn anywhere" for instance.

I could go either way on it. I think the current spawn system makes its very hard to maintain fronts/lines in this game. On the other hand I think that that very "problem" makes for a more fluid, more exciting, more dynamic experience. Instead of grinding away all our tickets at the same flashpoint on the map every round the combat moves around the map.

A good example of this are the 64 player Metro madness servers. With the chokepoints and the number of players on that map you end up with a front that is just a meatgrinder for almost the entire round. The only time it gets interesting is if people manage to break through that front and start respawning teammates behind the lines. If you remove the various respawn options BF3 has EVERY map would be like that, not just Metro. You'd setup your lines and kill anybody who tried to cross them. Anybody who did try to cross would always be outnumbered by the defenders and almost always die, making for a boring stalemate.

mr_nothin

Banned
I think the more likely answer is people just looking for things to bitch about. You'll also notice quite a bit of hyperbole in their claims, "spawn anywhere" for instance.

I could go either way on it. I think the current spawn system makes its very hard to maintain fronts/lines in this game. On the other hand I think that that very "problem" makes for a more fluid, more exciting, more dynamic experience. Instead of grinding away all our tickets at the same flashpoint on the map every round the combat moves around the map.

A good example of this are the 64 player Metro madness servers. With the chokepoints and the number of players on that map you end up with a front that is just a meatgrinder for almost the entire round. The only time it gets interesting is if people manage to break through that front and start respawning teammates behind the lines. If you remove the various respawn options BF3 has EVERY map would be like that, not just Metro. You'd setup your lines and kill anybody who tried to cross them. Anybody who did try to cross would always be outnumbered by the defenders and almost always die, making for a boring stalemate.
What's so hyperbolic about saying:
"Spawn Anywhere" philosophy...it's not saying that you can literally spawn anywhere at anytime you wanted to.

mr_nothin

Banned
You quoted the entire post just to quibble about the semantics in one phrase?

Yea, it really bothered me and I was on break during a video I was shooting so i just did a quick response lol

[EDIT]

Your Metro (64p) logic is broken though. When you limit the amount of those spawns, the front line shifts and creates more of a tug-of-war type of dynamic rather than 1 big stand off at B. With people always able to spawn on beacons and squad mates, it means that both sides are always on the frontline. Both teams might as well spawn directly from flag B because everyone is already basically spawning right there anyways. When people arent able to constantly spawn right on the frontlines, it allows 1 team to push forward and actually push the team backwards. Not saying that this doesnt happen now because it does but it's just really rare. I just believe RUSH should and Head-On Conquest maps should tug-of-war style and not a game of "how long can you withstand & hold off all these constant respawns". All of the different spawning methods actually make B even more of a chokepoint/stand-still.

Metro HC (64p) isnt as bad as normal mode because you have squad leader only spawning. It also wouldnt have a huge chokepoint at B if it wasnt for all the explosives spamming on the stairs. Play a 64p HC Metro No Explosives server and see how both sides have equal ability to shift the frontlines.

mr_nothin

Banned
Metro is just a shit map for anything other than a pure meatgrinder, a lot or only a few spawns wouldn't fix that.

Believe it or not, Metro was a lot more fun/balanced during the Alpha than it is now....Alpha did have it's own set of problems that made it seem a little unbalanced for attackers though. I played the Alpha for like 80-100 hours I believe. I played Metro for 80-100 during the Alpha! Oh God, I've played Metro for 100+ hours

patapuf

Sometimes I wonder if you guys are playing a different game than me.

Choppers have been useless flying death traps for a while now; it's only gotten more ridiculous with this patch.

They weren't useless death traps but they took quite a bit of skill to fly. That and good plane pilots that kept the enemy planes of your back. That's one of the reasons you only saw high level players dominating in a chopper.

However now they are useless to everyone.

Divius

It is kind of annoying when I'm in a chopper as a gunner and as soon as we get locked, the pilot deploys ECM and turns around and flies away. This way I'm having a hard time getting any decent shots off. Before the patch we could stay in the battle a bit longer, as I (the gunner) had flares as well. Oh well, I don't really care either way.

Anyway, I have picked up playing again and my biggest pet peeve would have to be that most people suck. I look at what some people are doing and I simply don't get why they aren't better.

I really want to give Armored Kill a try, but the noobish playerbase of the game is holding me back. Maybe I should find a decent clan to play with.

patapuf

It is kind of annoying when I'm in a chopper as a gunner and as soon as we get locked, the pilot deploys ECM and turns around and flies away. This way I'm having a hard time getting any decent shots off. Before the patch we could stay in the battle a bit longer, as I (the gunner) had flares as well. Oh well, I don't really care either way.

Anyway, I have picked up playing again and my biggest pet peeve would have to be that most people suck. I look at what some people are doing and I simply don't get why they aren't better.

I really want to give Armored Kill a try, but the noobish playerbase of the game is holding me back. Maybe I should find a decent clan to play with.

Having a few friends to play with is the best way to have fun in battlefield. Way less frustration.

TheSeks

Metro is just a shit map for anything other than a pure meatgrinder, a lot or only a few spawns wouldn't fix that.

Actually it wouldn't be a bad map if they reduced the numbers of explosives and removed the engineer class (because really what good is a "repairs vehicle" class in an INFANTRY FOCUSED MAP!?) entirely from the map.

No rockets.

Grenade spam that has to be staggered (and reduce the ammo box resupply from multiple's speeding up the process), team tactics. Final destination.

And fix the Rush crate placements/allow destruction for alt routes in certain areas. DAT SET 3 B

patapuf

add 2 more lanes and at least 2 aditional ways up from the metro and i like that map a lot more.

It's fine for 24 players, 32 works but it's godafwul with more people than that. It's one of 3 maps that doesn't work with 64 players, at all.

TheSeks

I don't think adding lanes would fix the explosive/rocket spam and can't advance issues that the map currently has.

I think having three levels (sewer, metro/subway, above-ground) would work better because there would be alt routes and up/down gameplay that you can't totally see every lane of attack and so have to stay close to the crates. Dream complains about Armored Kill's crates being separate from each other but I feel that forces teams to split themselves evenly and have to protect crates. Issue is the attackers don't have to split themselves evenly to attack the crates successfully so...

DICE needs to go through the maps before release and see all the "lanes" as you call them but the lines of attacks and see if adding destruction to the area would help prevent defense from camping (why can't the "backdoor" of B first set Bazaar be taken out outside the outer-wall that really doesn't let the attackers not have to enter through a door that is probably guarded by my LMG?) while also not giving the attackers the keys to the map kingdom with destruction (set 3 B Metro is easily defendable but being able to blow a wall (ONE WALL) of the three around the crate up would open up an easy-to-see avenue of attack for the attackers instead of a straight hallway, or long open space that you can get shot at, or having to go up stairs that are easily seen by the defense at.

patapuf

I don't think adding lanes would fix the explosive/rocket spam and can't advance issues that the map currently has.

I think having three levels (sewer, metro/subway, above-ground) would work better because there would be alt routes and up/down gameplay that you can't totally see every lane of attack and so have to stay close to the crates. Dream complains about Armored Kill's crates being separate from each other but I feel that forces teams to split themselves evenly and have to protect crates. Issue is the attackers don't have to split themselves evenly to attack the crates successfully so...

DICE needs to go through the maps before release and see all the "lanes" as you call them but the lines of attacks and see if adding destruction to the area would help prevent defense from camping (why can't the "backdoor" of B first set Bazaar be taken out outside the outer-wall that really doesn't let the attackers not have to enter through a door that is probably guarded by my LMG?) while also not giving the attackers the keys to the map kingdom with destruction (set 3 B Metro is easily defendable but being able to blow a wall (ONE WALL) of the three around the crate up would open up an easy-to-see avenue of attack for the attackers instead of a straight hallway, or long open space that you can get shot at, or having to go up stairs that are easily seen by the defense at.

your idea of a third plane is way better than mine. :)

the underlying issue exist in a lot of BF 3 maps: there's not enough alternate routes/ things to blow up to create an alternate route. It's something that becomes painfully obvious when you play the B2k and cq maps and notice how much better they are. City combat needs lots of alternate routes.

In their attempt to focus the action they created a lot of chokepoints that make the gameplay a grind instead of anything strategic.

they also need to playtest their rush maps more. There are too many crates that are either too easy to take or almost impossible to blow up.

You guys ever go throug these phases where you lose 'comfortability' with your aiming in this game. Every few weeks, I have this happen to me, and I end up mucking about with my mouse settings trying to get that level of comfort back again. I feel neurotic.

Divius

Having a few friends to play with is the best way to have fun in battlefield. Way less frustration.
FTFY.

If you pub by yourself you're gonna have a bad time.
My IRL bro's have all stopped playing, and EuroGAF is dead. :(

You guys ever go throug these phases where you lose 'comfortability' with your aiming in this game. Every few weeks, I have this happen to me, and I end up mucking about with my mouse settings trying to get that level of comfort back again. I feel neurotic.
Nope.

patapuf

Yes, it happens to me as well. I have weeks where i destroy everything and make headshots at long distances and others where i don't hit anything. I screw around with weapon configuration rather than mouse settings though.

-Amon-

Nope, i never hit shit basically

scogoth

Half of it is in your head and the rest is all mental.

Actually it wouldn't be a bad map if they reduced the numbers of explosives and removed the engineer class (because really what good is a "repairs vehicle" class in an INFANTRY FOCUSED MAP!?) entirely from the map.

No rockets.

Grenade spam that has to be staggered (and reduce the ammo box resupply from multiple's speeding up the process), team tactics. Final destination.

And fix the Rush crate placements/allow destruction for alt routes in certain areas. DAT SET 3 B

Nade spam sucks in Metro but believe me when I say it's not anywhere near as bad as it used to be. In BF2 you started with *4* grenades. Infantry only Karkand was just stupid back then.

TheSeks

Nade spam sucks in Metro but believe me when I say it's not anywhere near as bad as it used to be. In BF2 you started with *4* grenades. Infantry only Karkand was just stupid back then.

I didn't know BF2 started with 4, but it makes sense since BC1 starts with 4 on engineer and assault classes. I just think carrying one or having two with a perk with the reload speed not being increased from multiple boxes would solve most of the issues of explosive spam in that map after taking out rockets before those.

Top Bottom