• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT2| Mine! RendeZook! Wa Isl!

scogoth

Are flares completely useless now? No matter how soon or late I fire them they never break the heat seekers...

Yes because they no longer interrupt locking so as soon as you flare they can immediately fire a second volley and get you. ECM also broken sometimes. They really need to revert those changes and tell me why stingers do twice the damage of other heat seekers.

Spl1nter

I think they are fine. Only issue is when ecm doesnt work. However, I hope BF4 changes the mechanics a bit for heli vs heli. TV missiles are good for heli battles but flying skill can rarely be utilized if in Air to Air range. Different lock on mechanics against vehicles in general are needed as well.

Higher ceiling with lower cloud cover could be good. As well as removal of air radar for dogfights.

You can't just hang around after popping flares/ECM anymore. Gotta escape the lock-on range too.

If you gotta escape the lock on range then what is the point of flares?

The pathetic air nerf continues... The only way to play an heli now is to be miles away and fire tv guided missiles. Watch them nerf their range on the next patch...

CatPee

The pathetic air nerf continues... The only way to play an heli now is to be miles away and fire tv guided missiles. Watch them nerf their range on the next patch...

Erm, to not get hit again? They do have a recharge time. It'd be stupid to pop flares and still hang around for infantry to reload their Stingers and disable you. For other helos or jets, just escape from their lock zone by diving underneath or fly directly above them.

As it stands, the way ECM and flares work force you to play smart, and that's a good thing.

Erm, to not get hit again? They do have a recharge time. It'd be stupid to pop flares and still hang around for infantry to reload their Stingers and disable you. For other helos or jets, just escape from their lock zone by diving underneath or fly directly above them.

As it stands, the way ECM and flares work force you to play smart, and that's a good thing.

In a situation where only 1 infantry is pointing at you yes, that makes sense. Only that never happens. Here's how it goes right now:

Locking on warning, start turning heli around, lockon warning, fly low and fast, missile fired sound, pop flares, popped the flares? Who gives a shit, missile fire warning keeps playing anyway, brace for impact. Every single time.

They don't force you to play smart, they force you to play out of range and be useless.

CatPee

I've literally never had that occur, and I use ECM instead of flares even after rockets are fired. You may want to delay popping flares or something.

Donos

In a situation where only 1 infantry is pointing at you yes, that makes sense. Only that never happens. Here's how it goes right now:

Locking on warning, start turning heli around, lockon warning, fly low and fast, missile fired sound, pop flares, popped the flares? Who gives a shit, missile fire warning keeps playing anyway, brace for impact. Every single time.

They don't force you to play smart, they force you to play out of range and be useless.

Are you sure that's not an AA ? That's how i make it. Lock on to helo and instantly fire the first missile. After it pops flares i'm still locked, wait a sec and fire the second missile into the heli if it's enough away from the flares or the flares died down. Almost a guaranted hit if the heli stays in lock on distance or doesn't get behind cover.

ECM is different because i have to make a new lock on which often fails or the heli is away by the time it locks.

To give the infantry time to breath and survive after your missile/cannon barrage :p
(i know you have radical different views then me so no further arguing about that)

Are you sure that's not an AA ? That's how i make it. Lock on to helo and instantly fire the first missile. After it pops flares i'm still locked, wait a sec and fire the second missile into the heli if it's enough away from the flares or the flares died down. Almost a guaranted hit if the heli stays in lock on distance or doesn't get behind cover.

ECM is different because i have to make a new lock on which often fails or the heli is away by the time it locks.

The thing is, the missile fired warning sound never breaks, so I constantly have at least 1 missile targeting me even after deploying flares. I need to do some tests with 3 people to find out what's actually going on.

Donos

Ah ok, then it's maybe squad with two-three aa guys who time their action. No idea.

Isn't Endgame already available for PS3 ? Where are the impressions?

Donos

How come PS3 gets it early? :(
"year of the ps3"

Did someone already posted the new assigments / unlocks for endgame? I know i could google it but i'm at work atm and GAF on a small firefox windows looks very inconspicuous in comparison to flashy IGN sites and others.

Isn't Endgame already available for PS3 ? Where are the impressions?
Capture The Flag is great, but it requires a very well coordinated team to play with any effectiveness. I've only played it on the Operation Riverside and Kiaser Railway maps, but I actually prefer it to the Conquest versions of those maps. Air Superiority is a great way to get jet points/unlocks, even if youre a terrible pilot: most players just treat it as a TDM, so if you actually go and cap points you get some serious points. It's not uncommon for the top scorer on a team to be 0-11.

The bike is a lot of fun to ride and the wheelie mechanic makes jumping them a lot of fun. The AA jeeps are interesting: their unguided missiles do massive direct damage (little splash though) and mean you can easily disable tanks and IFVs if you hit with all four. They take forever and a day to reload though, and the jeep itself is paper thin.

The biggest surprise is how good the Rush maps are. These are easily the best four Rush maps for BF3 and by a pretty wide margin. There are no choke points, just plenty of options for both attackers and defenders.

Donos

Thanks for the impressions. More interested in the AA jeep than in the Bikes.
I don't play Rush at all in BF3. I don't know why because rush is all i played in BFBC2.

Sometimes i just have to much options now in BF3 and too little time so i just end up playing 64 ppl Conquest Caspian Borders. Going to make a CQB, Armored Kill and Aftermath play day after rocking enough of Endgame.

I really hope Dice tones down the "spotting" system in BF4. Spotting landmines from a mile away really kills the fun for me, since I love playing as engineers.

The unknown element in the older BF games, made playing as the engy, so much fun!

Donos

I really hope Dice tones down the "spotting" system in BF4. Spotting landmines from a mile away really kills the fun for me, since I love playing as engineers.

The unknown element in the older BF games, made playing as the engy, so much fun!

I still don't really understand how that works. Sometimes i see half of my hud full with mine markers (and moving markers from rigged jeeps) and sometimes i'm slowy driving my tank and "boom", i sucked a mine.

lionelhutz

I still don't really understand how that works. Sometimes i see half of my hud full with mine markers (and moving markers from rigged jeeps) and sometimes i'm slowy driving my tank and "boom", i sucked a mine.

There seems to be a lot of problems with equipment. Sometimes I can destroy spawn points, motion sensors, and land mines without a problem. On the other hand, I can't count how many times I've been killed because I'm wasting time trying to destroy equipment and not paying attention to who is around me.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
So was that 6GB download on Origin NOT End Game? It says I have access to it on Battlelog, but when I try to join a server, it says I still need to download and install it. I can't seem to find any options on Origin to do so.

Edit: nvm, I see that 3/12 availability thing now

you just look around the environment while tapping the q key 50 times, all mines will be revealed. even easier to do it with the mav

it ruins the hud for sure

I have a question for the ace fighter pilots of GAF: if you want to out-turn your opponent in a dogfight, what's the optimal speed/G-force level for your turn?

FeD.nL

whose fucking bright idea was it to let everyone and their grandma's spawncamp the attackers base on sabalan pipeline rush. FFS isn't this shit playtested anymore.

Rest of endgame is fine though

Donos

So what does Operation Metro No Explosives mean? Is there an abuse of some kind?

SMAW / RPG on people, C4 on corners and caps. Some servers count granades as "explosives" and some don't. Really depends if the mods enforce it or not because most people don't read rules and spam them away anyway. Play Metro 64 with no rules and the first thing you will notice is that everything is exploding around you.

I often play on a server with no sniper allowed (with server plugin who kills them if the kill someone with sniper rifles) . Every time i play, people get autobanned/killed all the time.

Welp, I'm finally weening myself off this game. Just in time for the possible March 26th BF4 reveal to pull me back in!

Minty, you're a nut in infantry battles.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Oy, was playing this off and on today, and realized I'm just terrible at this game. Now it's true that I haven't played a BF game in over two years, but is there also any disparity that would be caused by lack of unlocks as well?

Spl1nter

Oy, was playing this off and on today, and realized I'm just terrible at this game. Now it's true that I haven't played a BF game in over two years, but is there also any disparity that would be caused by lack of unlocks as well?

Unless you are in a vehicle its negligible. Knowing the maps is really important. Hard to do well without understanding the flow on each map.

Donos

Got my AN-94 groove back. Needed a 3000 ticket Caspian round to get it back. 88 out of 131 kills with AN-94. Always nice to take out snipers from far away and get flamed on. Now i'm ready for Endgame. Maybe a 3000 ticket Azadi Palace round today.
Also started to use the M16 more but i instantly miss the two shot mode from the AN. But i can see why it's loved so much.

I have the impression that not many use the crossbow. I find it to be the best gadget for the slot as Assault (with all bolts unlocked).

Just upgraded my PC-- is there anyway to get Battlefield off an Origin friend (like getting it gifted)? I dont want to rebuy the game at $60 and am willing to trade Bioshock Infinite or Tomb Raider for PC, but those are Steam games. I could probably just sell the codes on Ebay and use the money for BF3... or maybe I should keep the games and just keep playing BF3 on PS3. I just REALLY want to enjoy Armoured Kill the way it is meant to be enjoyed.

I primarily always wanted to play BF3 on PC but I'm thinking I should just wait for the next one.

CatPee

Just wait for a sale. BF3 PC often comes down to $10-$15 nowadays, and Premium regularly goes down to $25-$30.

If you want it now though, the best price I can find is from Gamestop at $19.99. They also have Premium for $24.99, making it $44.99 for the "complete" game. Premium Edition's been cheaper at ~$30-$35 before, but if you want it now, that's your best bet.

RoKKeR

Just wait for a sale. BF3 PC often comes down to $10-$15 nowadays, and Premium regularly goes down to $25-$30.

If you want it now though, the best price I can find is from Gamestop at $19.99. They also have Premium for $24.99, making it $44.99 for the "complete" game. Premium Edition's been cheaper at ~$30-$35 before, but if you want it now, that's your best bet.
Exactly. There is no reason to pay full price for BF3 at this point. In fact they just had a BF sale on Origin. Keep your eye out for a good price and you wont be waiting too long.

Top Bottom