• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT2| Mine! RendeZook! Wa Isl!

The only thing worse than a useless, camping sniper is a useless, camping sniper using the MAV.

If the sniper is just trying to get kills with it, then yes, they are the worst. But when the MAV is used properly and spotting every enemy on the field, then they can be one of the most valuable assets to victory.

Wthermans

Banned
Yup, but they could not set up a mortar on their side since they were under constant fire.

If you mean in general: I guess that's true, but if you counter-mortar a mortar, you're sure to get counter-counter-mortared etc. I usually leave servers that have more than 2 mortars, luckily I rarely run into them.

Depends on how you do it. When you counter mortar you only fire one shell and then reposition, if the enemy mortar is slow on his target selection you may be able to get two.

I LOVE counter-mortaring because it's so easy to get kills.

1. Throw down ammo box
2. Throw down mortar
3. Counter mortar (don't start firing right away, wait for the enemy to fire first so they can't counter-mortar you as easily)
4. Exit Mortar
5. Move 5-6 feet left/right/forward/back and place a new ammo crate
6. Throw down new mortar (you may take some damage since your first mortar is getting shelled by now).
7. Repeat.

I've successfully counter-mortared 4-5 enemies on Seine Crossing simply by taking a shot and then repositioning a few feet.

cluto

If the sniper is just trying to get kills with it, then yes, they are the worst. But when the MAV is used properly and spotting every enemy on the field, then they can be one of the most valuable assets to victory.

I don't think I've ever seen someone using the MAV correctly. People don't even know the back button exists on the 360.

"Hmm, what does this little flying robot do? Oh, it must be for killing people."

I don't think I've ever seen someone using the MAV correctly. People don't even know the back button exists on the 360.

"Hmm, what does this little flying robot do? Oh, it must be for killing people."

Yea, that is the big problem, you will almost never see anybody use it correctly. I think I have come across one other person besides myself that used it properly; but when he used it, it helped the team out so much.

The only thing worse than a useless, camping sniper is a useless, camping sniper using the MAV.

The MAV is very useful, not just for killing, but for spamming the spot button. I do it all the time. There is rarely a person, vehicle or piece of equipment I don't spot.

And if you still think they're horrible, take out your Stinger; It's the MAV's worst enemy and it's super easy to take one down.

Spl1nter

Found your problem. Sniping on consoles lol.

Its very easy to use the MAV correctly, spam Q while killing people.

Or deploy it next to you and use it instead of a t-ugs. God I hate mavs though. Mostly just the annoying buzzing they make when they are flying around. Other than that, I am OK with them. Someone using a MAV is someone not capturing flags, which is fine by me.

Spl1nter

Or deploy it next to you and use it instead of a t-ugs. God I hate mavs though. Mostly just the annoying buzzing they make when they are flying around. Other than that, I am OK with them. Someone using a MAV is someone not capturing flags, which is fine by me.

Someone using a mav is someone spotting everyone defending a flag making it easy to capture.

Someone using a mav is someone spotting everyone defending a flag making it easy to capture.

You give too much credit to randoms and assume they are actually spotting and not trying to get road kills. In my experience, they are trying to get roadkills 90% of the time and not helping their team at all.

AndyD

aka andydumi

Yep. Also works wonders in Rush because you can spot every defender and let your team flank them. I got a ton of spots that way a few days ago, I think I had a couple of thousand points just from the spotting, let alone the ribbons.

Yep. Also works wonders in Rush because you can spot every defender and let your team flank them. I got a ton of spots that way a few days ago, I think I had a couple of thousand points just from the spotting, let alone the ribbons.

At 10 points each? 200 spot assists in a round? Holy shit man.

You have to consider that PC has servers with more than 300 tickets/round. I've had 20k point rounds before award bonuses, but it took almost an hour for the round to finish.

It's still impressive, like he spotted the whole enemy team the whole game! Useful indeed! I bet the other team didn't have that advantage.

I still hate the fucking thing.

Is there a counter to it? The reason I ask - I've been killed in a tank a number of times with C4 by "a ghost". No blip on my mini-map, just "booooooom". I figured maybe he'd planted it on the road and I didn't see it--whatever.

Then I watch a guy running toward my tank and check my mini-map. Nothing. He keeps running at me and I back up. Still nothing showing on the radar. WTF? He plants the C4 and boom!

Is this a known hack, an unlock, or a bug? Does anyone else's proximity scan let them down in the same fashion?

*I guess I should add that the mini-map WAS showing troops earlier and later in that same match...

scogoth

You give too much credit to randoms and assume they are actually spotting and not trying to get road kills. In my experience, they are trying to get roadkills 90% of the time and not helping their team at all.

Theres your problem.

Speaking of problems, people
anton
play bf3 more!

AndyD

aka andydumi
At 10 points each? 200 spot assists in a round? Holy shit man.

10 spot and 20 motion sensor is 30 per kill. In a 600-1000 ticket game that's about 60 spot kills which is not much. It is sort of boring though as all you do is hover above and circle around spotting. In Karkand maps people don't even look up for some reason.

akira28

10 spot and 20 motion sensor is 30 per kill. In a 600-1000 ticket game that's about 60 spot kills which is not much. It is sort of boring though as all you do is hover above and circle around spotting. In Karkand maps people don't even look up for some reason.

I wonder if people even check their mini-maps sometimes...

Marvie_3

Banned
considering how many times randoms drive over AT Mines when they're glowing neon orange on the minimap, i'd say "not really"

I don't even want to know how many times I've died because of this. I do get a good laugh when I shoot at the mines to point them out, realize the person driving still does NOT see them so I hop out, and then watch that person die.

MNC

I bound changing map sizes to scrollclick (since knife is still on default for me anyway), it's really nice. got the tip from salsashark.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I wish you could have different zoom settings for each map size. So if I hit M it goes to zoom level 2 automatically when it enlarges, and then when it gets small again, goes back to zoom 3. Having to hit both map and zoom all the time makes me never want to change anything but use the tiny version all the time.

scogoth

I wish you could have different zoom settings for each map size. So if I hit M it goes to zoom level 2 automatically when it enlarges, and then when it gets small again, goes back to zoom 3. Having to hit both map and zoom all the time makes me never want to change anything but use the tiny version all the time.

You could program a macro if your mouse/keyboard supports that.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

The truest truth to ever be true.
I hate guys trying to get MAV kills so much right now...whether they are on my team or the other they are just ********.
Currently the most annoying thing in BF3...I dont know where they came from and/or why they decided to show themselves up these days, but i wish they would all shove their MAVs up their asses.

MAVs being used for Surveillance are still cool though.

On to less annoying matters

Im really really liking the G53, I know statistically its supposed to be a poor man G36, but i find it much easier to do work with the G53 than the G36.

P.S DOes anyone know if destroying the MAV counts towards unlocking the QBZ-95B?
Im finding it really hard to do this assignment.
If anyone has any pointers dont be shy.

I hate guys trying to get MAV kills so much right now...whether they are on my team or the other they are just ********.
Currently the most annoying thing in BF3...I dont know where they came from and/or why they decided to show themselves up these days, but i wish they would all shove their MAVs up their asses.

Im really really liking the G53, I know statistically its supposed to be a poor man G36, but i find it much easier to do work with the G53 than the G36.

P.S DOes anyone know if destroying the MAV counts towards unlocking the QBZ-95B?
works on mav, eod bot, spawn beacon, t-ugs, soflam, enemy aamtrac, probably even abandoned mortars...

Orlandu84

This might be the wrong place to ask, but I am wondering what kind of headset to get for Battlefield 3. I want to start communicating more effectively with my squad mates, and my old headset is not up to the task anymore. I have been thinking about either a Logitech G35 or a G330. Any suggestions?

Tawpgun

Repair Torch a MAV, Mortatr, Spawn Beacon, Tugs, etc. do death.

It's stupid impossible to do it on an actual vehicle.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
You mean destroying an enemy tank with a repair torch? I did that to a stuck enemy EOD-Bot and got the gun.

works on mav, eod bot, spawn beacon, t-ugs, soflam, enemy aamtrac, probably even abandoned mortars...

Repair Torch a MAV, Mortatr, Spawn Beacon, Tugs, etc. do death.

It's stupid impossible to do it on an actual vehicle.

Thanks guys, gonna try it out today.....i always find spawn beacons and tugs but never thought to destroy them with the repair torch....I got this, now lets hope this gun is worth it.

Divius

Finally unlocked the L85A2 by completing another assignment, and I have to say...I like it. A lot. It's quite the change from my regular AR (the AEK) because its RoF is so much lower, which is especially noticeable in close range when I'm one-on-one with some other guy but in medium to long range it's pretty sweet. I have no idea if it's a good weapon statistically, but I like the 'feel' of it. Make sure to give it a try when you unlock it.

I don't know, I rolled with the L85, and I like but don't love it. I still find my go-to gun to be the M16A3. I think it's the best balanced gun when it comes to ROF, accuracy, and recoil.

scogoth

The M16A4 is even better! And it's getting another minor buff (IIRC the burst guns are getting more love). Once they fix the "jamming" from firing too quick there's no looking back. God that bug is infuriating.

Then again I've always loved burst weapons...

They have already buffed the burst recoil (at least on PC). The jamming thing is annoying as hell, should be fixed in next patch though.

Deadly

Damn I might switch back to the M16 then. I've been fucking around with most assault weapons but there hasn't been one who just felt right yet...

The AN94 is my go to AR for sniping, it's very accurate. I love switching up with ARs and guns in general, I don't like being stuck on one gun. The AK is damn good as well but a gun can only be as good as the user so that's why I use a different gun each match but I do pick certain guns for certain maps.

It can't fucking be that after over 4 months after the MP is still such an unorganized piee of shit.
It's not even annoying anymore to join a game to see "Your team has lost", it's fucking sad..

Top Bottom