• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT2| Mine! RendeZook! Wa Isl!

Spl1nter

Who wants to help me get the vehicle kill with the repair tool? I got scammed out of it again, the points popped up but it didn't count towards the assignment :|

Works on the EOD too apparently but I don't see enough of those around

Works on the spawn beacon as well. You see quite a few more of those.

I could bitch about great pilots who don't want to ferry soldiers to flags.

Man, I get the opposite problem, I fly people to flags/MCOMs, and they don't want to get out! It's worst on rush, you get a full compliment of people in and they never leave. Sure you've got two people on minigun duty and (potentially) doing something useful, but the others just sit there. They're not firing any guns, and they certainly aren't repairing. BF3 needs BF2's "GET OUT!" prompt, as whatever they're getting up to back there, it ain't right.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Yes, but BC1 is better. OMG CAPPABLE BASES. OMG FIVE FLAGS. OMG TICKET BLEED SPEEDS UP MORE FLAGS YOU CAP. OMG DEFENSE. OMG ATTACK. OMG CONQUEST IS GOOD!?

They send babies to fight me!?. Literally run out of FAMAS ammo attacking second set coming from first set. Arm A second set, kill them with FAMAS as it runs out. A is taken. Run to B, pistol a dude. Arm B, take out two dudes with the M1911 B is taken. Then last set I run my ass over to B after respawning with the QBB. Take out two dudes there. Run over to A after Calion or someone armed it. Take two-three dudes out while forgetting I had one more pistol kill for the ribbon. SMH me, I need the pistol ribbons. :(

are there people playing? Still my favourite BF game.

On PS3? Yeah. On 360? I dunno, you'd have to ask Faceless as I don't have a copy of BC1 360 nor a working 360 to tell you.

PKP Pecheneg is pretty good.

M240B is your next best.

If it's punch you want, the PKP will be a nice upgrade when you unlock it next. M240 is nice too but I liked the PKP more since it was easier to control, but the M60 will please you a lot if you want high damage. It fires slower than some others, but the damage makes up for all of that even on normal mode. Firing full auto at a long range target isn't the best idea since the patch messed it up, but it's still good in short bursts.

Really, it's all down to personal preference at that point since they're all good in my opinion. I even go back to the M249 on some maps due to the fast fire rate and easy control. Check out the QBB-95 when you unlock it through the assignments which is pretty easy. I can't decide if I like it or not since it's a lower caliber than the later MG unlocks. All preference I guess.

Thanks guys. Been using the PKP. God damn this gun kills fast. Yeah, it's got heavier recoil, but at least I'm not dying when I'm going full auto on someone like I sometimes would with the M249. Usually kills people in 2-3 hits, it's almost instant.

Darkwater

So if I want the L85A2
(and I do. I played BF2 god damn it)
, I'm going to have to get five wins in that clanstacker-ridden shitfest that is Squad DM? Dick move, EA/DiCE.

Please tell me SQDM is not always a lost cause.

TheSeks

Thanks guys. Been using the PKP. God damn this gun kills fast. Yeah, it's got heavier recoil, but at least I'm not dying when I'm going full auto on someone like I sometimes would with the M249. Usually kills people in 2-3 hits, it's almost instant.

Why are you going full auto? M249 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> PKP. The PKP's only strength is bullet damage but the recoil is terrible and unless you bipod/prone everywhere it's no good in most gun battles. Whereas the M249 or nearly any other LMG has less "kick" and doesn't need the bipod to steady it to mow people down.

Why are you going full auto? M249 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> PKP. The PKP's only strength is bullet damage but the recoil is terrible and unless you bipod/prone everywhere it's no good in most gun battles. Whereas the M249 or nearly any other LMG has less "kick" and doesn't need the bipod to steady it to mow people down.

Agreed. I despise the PKP. More bullet damage doesn't do you any good when you can't control the god damn thing. If it's not on a bipod it's virtually worthless at any sort of range.

That said, I almost always use the M60, which, while not as bad as the PKP, still has a rough kick to it. But it sounds cool. And it's the mutherfuckin' M60, yo.

TheSeks

That said, I almost always use the M60, which, while not as bad as the PKP, still has a rough kick to it. But it sounds cool. And it's the mutherfuckin' M60, yo.

No, it's a revision of the M60. ;)

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
On PS3? Yeah. On 360? I dunno, you'd have to ask Faceless as I don't have a copy of BC1 360 nor a working 360 to tell you.

such an old game but I still remember how my mind was blown the first time I tried it.

So these guns you get with assignments. They seem to unlock with some strange things already on 'em, like 12x scopes. I realize this is a glitch of some kind.

But the ammo counts seem strange. Is the MG36 supposed to have 50 if not on Extended Mags? The description on Battlelog says it defaults at 100.

No. That's not a glitch.

I thought those were supposed to be the Dice only unlocks? They aren't listed on Battlelog, and the same things (like the 12x scope on LMGs) were listed as "DICE EMPLOYEE ONLY" on the weapon pages before the most recent update.

I figured this wasn't on purpose. It seems like an error. So does the fact that the gun stats tend not to match their descriptions. Inconsistencies between firing mode descriptions, for example, leads me to think that these were not supposed to be given to us with that scope on it by default. Ditto with the magazine capacity.

I could be wrong, it could just be some massive Dice troll. I don't know. It's silly nonetheless.

Wow, Faceless swoops in and steals it again!

I think at least this image should be part of the OT right?

And to be honest, I don't think it's right what Faceless did, I've never had a thread need and OT2 before, I have no idea when they're supposed to be done, I ask the question and then someone else does it? Uhhh... it upsets me, and I don't know why, but it just seems like a second stab in the back from Faceless Master to me after the original OT posting debacle where he posted the 'empty' thread while I was slaving away on the OT, it's like this was done just to spite me once again, and it's worked, I'm spited.

I don't know if it's a matter of pride, or if I'm just being pedantic and whiney, and I don't want to cause a fuss over something that doesn't mean anything I mean, the thread is here now, we can post, etc, but it's just the principle of it has griefed me and I feel I have just cause, although I don't know if the OT2 is usually posted by the same person who posted the first OT, I do know however that the OT2 is usually a general copy of the OT in most ways.

I think there should be more to the OT2, things about B2K, patch details, update details, graphics drivers etc

Final Edit - I think it comes down to the fact that I put so much effort and time and work into the OT and now with this thread, Faceless master has gotten his wish for a simple thread and it makes me feel like my work will disappear and be forgotten forever, while people still continue to talk about and play the game, my thread (OT1) just gets lost in the abyss of millions of threads and the BF3 OT loses the legacy it deserves because perhaps say in a years time, if this is the main thread and someone new searches for the BF3 OT this is what they'll see, and that's wrong.

And to be honest, I don't think it's right what Faceless did, I've never had a thread need and OT2 before, I have no idea when they're supposed to be done, I ask the question and then someone else does it? Uhhh... it upsets me, and I don't know why, but it just seems like a second stab in the back from Faceless Master to me after the original OT posting debacle where he posted the 'empty' thread while I was slaving away on the OT, it's like this was done just to spite me once again, and it's worked, I'm spited.

I don't know if it's a matter of pride, or if I'm just being pedantic and whiney, and I don't want to cause a fuss over something that doesn't mean anything I mean, the thread is here now, we can post, etc, but it's just the principle of it has griefed me and I feel I have just cause, although I don't know if the OT2 is usually posted by the same person who posted the first OT, I do know however that the OT2 is usually a general copy of the OT in most ways.

I think there should be more to the OT2, things about B2K, patch details, update details, graphics drivers etc

Final Edit - I think it comes down to the fact that I put so much effort and time and work into the OT and now with this thread, Faceless master has gotten his wish for a simple thread and it makes me feel like my work will disappear and be forgotten forever, while people still continue to talk about and play the game, my thread (OT1) just gets lost in the abyss of millions of threads and the BF3 OT loses the legacy it deserves because perhaps say in a years time, if this is the main thread and someone new searches for the BF3 OT this is what they'll see, and that's wrong.

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe faceless can put your entire OT into the OT2 while obviously crediting you? I think that's best. We're already on page 4 (50ppp), so its inclusion would be as a source of information and no one would be allowed to complain.

Edit: I thought it was someone else who posted the empty "OT". You sure it was Faceless?

Just pointing out that you seem to be the only person who passionately cares at this point. Are you really that upset that your OT isn't permanent?

I'd just like to say that the F-35 is the biggest piece of shit in this entire game.

It's absolutely worthless and the lack of a decent jet makes Oman and Wake very one-sided as far as air superiority goes.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Just pointing out that you seem to be the only person who passionately cares at this point. Are you really that upset that your OT isn't permanent?

I can understand Raptor put a lot of work into that OP. I know that some of you are of the opinion that an OP should be bare bones and devoid of any polish but not everyone feels that way.

The current OP has literally nothing but links, nothing about recent patches, and a thread title that is terribad. Eh, fuck it though I know what I need to know about the game. BUT If I was Raptor and I saw all my work pissed on like this, without the opportunity to decline making the OT2 I'd be upset too.

1) again? there would have to be a first time

2) have you seen many OT2's? they don't have all the stuff the OT has, they're usually mush less elaborate

3) the OT2 was posted *before* you even posted in the OT1

4) if the mods want, they can retcon a thread's first post to a post you make, if that's what everyone wants

5) in a few months, this thread will also be lost to OT3

6) man, Worms 2 Armageddon is awesome (i wanted at least six points)

I can understand Raptor put a lot of work into that OP. I know that some of you are of the opinion that an OP should be bare bones and devoid of any polish but not everyone feels that way.

The current OP has literally nothing but links, nothing about recent patches, and a thread title that is terribad. Eh, fuck it though I know what I need to know about the game. BUT If I was Raptor and I saw all my work pissed on like this, without the opportunity to decline making the OT2 I'd be upset too.

once it's past 20k, the mods would just split it and make a new OT anyway, he should be more prepared!

Salacious Crumb

I bow to thee kind sir. A team contributor. You are the 1%. I am guessing that you go in solo most of the time and thats why your w/l ratio is low.

Pretty much. None of my friends really play anymore, and I'm in Australia, so playing on the northern hemisphere gaf servers isn't really an option. Currently my W/L ratio is pretty much based on luck. Did I get put on the winning team or not? There's only so much one person can do on a 64p server.

JoeMartin

You literally just don't know how to use the gun.

The PKP, especially with a foregrip (which decreases both horizontal AND vertical recoil on LMGs, btw) and a silencer, has very manageable recoil, and is in every way superior to the M249. I have used both just a little bit and it is not a competition.

EDIT: I will go on record right now as saying that the foregrip/silencer combination makes the PKP broken good, and the community at large has yet to notice, mostly because without them the high recoil, which, in combination with it's AWFUL recoil recovery, makes the gun highly unusable in most practical scenarios sans a bipod and they never get to those unlocks because they write it off. I did the same thing too, but my completionist OCD drove me to unlocks and now there is literally no scenario where I'd want to use another LMG.

Just had one of the most bizarre things I've seen happen in this game. I was on the roof near the market in Karkand and the enemy APC was driving past. I locked on with the Javellin at it and fired. I aimed it up as usual, and the missile shot up in the air. Then it did a dramatic loop, coming straight back at me and destryoing the roof I was standing on, killing me instantly. As far as I know there wasn't even another vehicle on the map at the time (we'd just killed their tank). Was it set to boomerang fire or something?

I'd just like to say that the F-35 is the biggest piece of shit in this entire game.

It's absolutely worthless and the lack of a decent jet makes Oman and Wake very one-sided as far as air superiority goes.

As a jet pilot, this was my first impression too. After about half an hour with it I was ready to write it off.

But it's actually badass as hell once you learn to manage the Hover mode transition point.

If you feather the air brake and maintain an airspeed just above the mode change threshold, you can actually turn pretty sharply. But with effective timing of entering hover mode, it's basically going to cause a close pursuer to fly right by you. You can re-engage them and destroy them pretty quickly after that.

I've had some good jet runs before but the F-35 has given me a lot of really good matches since it dropped too.

I just need to learn how to do a proper, level, sustained hover that doesn't result in a slow altitude loss or eventual transition to regular flight. I've seen people do it so it's possible, maybe I'm just doing it wrong.

Just had one of the most bizarre things I've seen happen in this game. I was on the roof near the market in Karkand and the enemy APC was driving past. I locked on with the Javellin at it and fired. I aimed it up as usual, and the missile shot up in the air. Then it did a dramatic loop, coming straight back at me and destryoing the roof I was standing on, killing me instantly. As far as I know there wasn't even another vehicle on the map at the time (we'd just killed their tank). Was it set to boomerang fire or something?

I've had that happen to me when I try to fire it up like that, only recently though. Was definitely quite weird =P

The PKP, especially with a foregrip (which decreases both horizontal AND vertical recoil on LMGs, btw) and a silencer, has very manageable recoil, and is in every way superior to the M249. I have used both just a little bit and it is not a competition.

EDIT: I will go on record right now as saying that the foregrip/silencer combination makes the PKP broken good, and the community at large has yet to notice, mostly because without them the high recoil, which, in combination with it's AWFUL recoil recovery, makes the gun highly unusable in most practical scenarios sans a bipod and they never get to those unlocks because they write it off. I did the same thing too, but my completionist OCD drove me to unlocks and now there is literally no scenario where I'd want to use another LMG.

This guy isn't kidding. I unlocked foregrip + suppressor for PKP... holy fuck, what a beast gun. So much power. Kills in 2 shots usually and it's very manageable in terms of accuracy/recoil. Wow. :D

Sorry Faceless if I confused you with the person who posted the OT a few hours before I posted my first OT, if it wasn't you then I've reacted wrongly.

I tried to keep my post as un-emotional as possible in case I was wrong, and honestly it isn't really that big of a deal, it just means something to me that all my work can so quickly disappear, it's not such a problem, it's my own fault for putting so much work into an OT I suppose.

I read this absolute GEM of a post on Anandtech forums about Battlefield 3/PC, and had to share it.

You see soft shadows and "big" immersion? That's not what I am seeing.

I see octagonal tank wheels that look like they came out of 2003 videogame, horrendous looking 2D textures on the house, the Humvie, the fence/barbed wire on the left, floating 2D sandbags, flat ground, shimmering light poles, and a bunch of smoke that's trying to make the game look prettier but looks like "fog of war". If you look carefully at the 4 barbed wires on the fence on the left, their shadows are not even present on the ground....fail.

BF3 is just an average looking game (crazy overhyped for its graphics based on earlier still screenshots DICE sent out). It has good animations, amazing surround sound effects and it's fun to play but it sure isn't a good looking game, not at all, not even a little bit. And the game just has a 'grey' filter all over it.

So while you may notice 1 nice feature of a girl (i.e, soft shadows), if you take away the lighting model (make-up), I look at the overall package and that's what I call a 3/10. Some soft shadows and nice lighting can't mask the horrible textures and low polygon models of 3D objects in BF3, from tanks, to buildings, to crates, to sandbags, etc.

Based on the screenshots you provided, the game looks extremely ugly, like something I would have seen in Soldier of Fortune 5 years ago.

Oh man.

Marvie_3

Banned

Same here. I love the PKP. I'm only using the other LMGs to unlock things right now, then it's back to the PKP.

TheSeks

...So, add a foregrip which is generally useless on LMGs and add a silencer to nerf the bullet damage a bit to use the PKP? I seriously seriously don't see why I should when the MG36 with no attachments will mow people down with manageable recoil in addition to no attachment/damage nerf (even if it is minor).

I'm a no attachment man in general, and so the PKP is utter dogshit in comparison to other LMG's.

iam220

This guy isn't kidding. I unlocked foregrip + suppressor for PKP... holy fuck, what a beast gun. So much power. Kills in 2 shots usually and it's very manageable in terms of accuracy/recoil. Wow. :D

Me three .... and I was wondering why there are so few people using this gun. Its an absolute beast. Foregrip and supressor is my combo as well. At longer ranges you need a certain tapping rhythm to keep the gun steady but at close range you can just let it rip and it will be devastating. The m249 feels like a pea shooter in comparison.

JoeMartin

...So, add a foregrip which is generally useless on LMGs

It's more useful on LMGs than on any other type of gun, not only in raw percentages but also in terms of changing the applicability of the guns.

and add a silencer to nerf the bullet damage a bit

The silencer in no way affects bullet damage (in fact no mod of any kind will apply any modifier to the amount of damage your bullets will do), only bullet speed and how quickly falloff occurs (and because the PKP's falloff ends a full 25m further than the other LMGs, this only serves to make it closer to lower calibre LMG performance, and in fact even with a silencer the PKP still retains a longer falloff).

I seriously seriously don't see why I should when the MG36 with no attachments will mow people down with manageable recoil in addition to no attachment/damage nerf

Every gun in the game will "mow people down" just fine if you're acquainted with the recoil and you have any idea how to position and cover properly. But there are several guns in the game which, appropriately geared, mow people down in a wider variety of circumstances with better general efficacy. Not really an opinion but a fact. The numbers simply favor some guns, and not in an arbitrary manner.

I'm a no attachment man in general, and so the PKP is utter dogshit in comparison to other LMG's.

No attachments? For what, RPing in your battlefield game? In what way does refusing the use of attachments serve any reasonable purpose?

Okay then.

So the L85A2 is easily my favourite gun in the game, just like in BF2. Totally worth the SQDM slogfest and I see no reason for me to ever use another assault rifle. It's so good, I'm even a fan of the iron sights.

Thank you based DICE.

The major criticism I have for BF3's graphics is all of the aliasing. The in-game AA solutions don't get rid of all of it either.

Yeah, that's the ONLY complaint I have.

The game is going to look glorious with 8x MSAA + SMAA once the Radeon 7970/7950's come out though and the SMAA injector gets fixed to work on BF3.

TheSeks

No attachments? For what, RPing in your battlefield game? In what way does refusing the use of attachments serve any reasonable purpose?

Okay then.

Because I don't need them, perhaps? I use the guns bare bones in general with the exception of LMG with bipod or snipers with scopes. I find anything else a hindrance/annoyance to me. It isn't a "RPing" purpose, just like you find a PKP broken attachment function, I can kick ass with other LMG's without having to modify them. Ergo, I think the PKP is dogshit. Agree to disagree, okay?

So the L85A2 is easily my favourite gun in the game, just like in BF2. Totally worth the SQDM slogfest and I see no reason for me to ever use another assault rifle. It's so good, I'm even a fan of the iron sights.

It has no recoil. It's crazy. Simply put the cross-hair on an enemy, pull trigger wait until dead.

Because I don't need them, perhaps? I use the guns bare bones in general with the exception of LMG with bipod or snipers with scopes. I find anything else a hindrance/annoyance to me. It isn't a "RPing" purpose, just like you find a PKP broken attachment function, I can kick ass with other LMG's without having to modify them. Ergo, I think the PKP is dogshit. Agree to disagree, okay?

It has no recoil. It's crazy. Simply put the cross-hair on an enemy, pull trigger wait until dead.

HAHAHAHA. No attachments? I can understand a 4x scope, or supressor as possibly being intrusions, but a foregrip or extended mags? They literally can do no harm. You sir, are crazy.

And add me to the PKP crew, as I pointed out before, I wish there were other 3 shot LMGs so that I'd actually try another LMG.

Salacious Crumb

Large ticket servers are great for getting points, but trying to stay focused for 65-70 minutes is so hard, my nerves can't take it.

afYjo.png

Golf of Oman CQ with no tanks or LAVs for whatever strange reason.

I read this absolute GEM of a post on Anandtech forums about Battlefield 3/PC, and had to share it.

So while you may notice 1 nice feature of a girl (i.e, soft shadows), if you take away the lighting model (make-up), I look at the overall package and that's what I call a 3/10. Some soft shadows and nice lighting can't mask the horrible textures and low polygon models of 3D objects in BF3, from tanks, to buildings, to crates, to sandbags, etc.

Oh man.

BF3 sharp knees confirmed.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Also in that game crumb posted above, For some reason people were just yelling at myself saying i sucked for no reason and then someone asked crumb if he ever shoots people from the front.

It was the strangest shit ever.

Salacious Crumb

Also in that game crumb posted above, For some reason people were just yelling at myself saying i sucked for no reason and then someone asked crumb if he ever shoots people from the front.

It was the strangest shit ever.

We weren't doing anything tricky either, just flanking and capping bases. We shamed them and they couldn't handle it. Sore losers.

JoeMartin

I think most people would disagree to agree with that point, seeing as it's mostly asinine.

In what way is a foregrip a hindrance or annoyance? It offers purely passive, beneficial effects to your gun. And why would you want to use the awful iron sights on most guns instead of just putting a Kobra on it? If there is any one gun mod in this game that's a hindrance or annoyance it's the bipod. Whoever thought mapping it to the same button as ADS was a good idea needs a slap. Though I could see the argument for not using a silencer, as other mods in the same slot offer potentially more useful functionality, depending on how you intend to play, but I wouldn't call using one a hindrance or annoyance.

I mean hey if it's just some kind of sentimental attachment to different kinds of guns that's fine with me, just say so. I love the VAL/VSS and go out of my way to use it in every game that I can just because I loved the hell out of it in STALKER where I did have a sentimental experience with the game. It happens to also be pretty good in BF3 too (and better than a PKP for some things), which is nice, but there's no statistically justified reason for me to be running around as support with an AS VAL all the time when I could be using a PKP, but I still do. If you prefer to use the guns modless because that's how they'd be in real life, and that enhances the experience for you, fine, more on you.

Doesn't change the fact that the PKP is the best LMG.

Top Bottom