• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT2| Mine! RendeZook! Wa Isl!

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Suppression is way too powerful now.

Bloody DICE, they can't balance anything. It's BF2 all over again. Without the mods and without the fun stuff.
I'm wondering if suppression even did any good pre-patch. Seems like suppressing was just a good way to get shot in the face.

DTKT

I'm wondering if suppression even did any good pre-patch. Seems like suppressing was just a good way to get shot in the face.

Sure, but you have to balance the two. Right now, it's way too effective. If you get the drop on me and actually trigger the suppression effect, I have almost no chance of killing you. Even if I'm a better shot and should be able to recover from your initial attack.

It's just gives a really big advantage to whoever triggers the suppression first.

Not a big fan of that kind of advantage in a shooter.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
If the options are 1) Shoot person in the face or 2) Try and suppress and get shot on the face why would you ever do 2.
It's more like you shot over cover to try to suppress so your teammates could maneuver and it instead had the opposite effect of drawing accurate fire into your face.

At least the patch breaks the balance in ways that I find entertaining. Jets being invincible to AA missiles is also pretty amusing.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
If the options are 1) Shoot person in the face or 2) Try and suppress and get shot on the face why would you ever do 2.

That depends.

IlIqt.jpg

This was done pre-patch a week or so ago and I was incredibly drunk at the time. All I did was maintain a decent flanking position. Half of those kills were people running in between my iron sights without realizing where the bullets were coming from.

Of course there were a few times where a sniper hit me but even when I am aiming down at them and spraying I can hear the bullets whizzing by harmlessly 90% of the time.

What they should probably do is work out a formula where distance is relative to the suppression effect. Several metres should have zero effect whereas firing down a hallway/open area toward a choke point should have a sufficient amount available.

shouts

Neo Member
That depends.

This was done pre-patch a week or so ago and I was incredibly drunk at the time. All I did was maintain a decent flanking position. Half of those kills were people running in between my iron sights without realizing where the bullets were coming from.

Of course there were a few times where a sniper hit me but even when I am aiming down at them and spraying I can hear the bullets whizzing by harmlessly 90% of the time.

What they should probably do is work out a formula where distance is relative to the suppression effect. Several metres should have zero effect whereas firing down a hallway/open area toward a choke point should have a sufficient amount available.

What is your point? 30-8 w m249 while drunk (people playing drunk and telling people about it are .... btw ) during a 43 min round? That's nothing special, really

DTKT

It's more like you shot over cover to try to suppress so your teammates could maneuver and it instead had the opposite effect of drawing accurate fire into your face.

At least the patch breaks the balance in ways that I find entertaining. Jets being invincible to AA missiles is also pretty amusing.

I do believe that it's just the AA missiles from choppers that don't work.

It's like DICE doesn't actually test their patches. They just wait 6 months and release them.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I do believe that it's just the AA missiles from choppers that don't work.

It's like DICE doesn't actually test their patches. They just wait 6 months and release them.
Every single missile fired at a jet will miss. I removed the flares from my jet loadout.

MattDoza

I don't know the exact stats, but it's more accurate and the damage drop off is smaller. I believe its 20 dmg per pellets max 16.5 min instead of 20 max 6 min. But yeah, its crazy long reload time makes it useless compared to the M26 mass.

Yes. Try out the M26 Mass. Excellent when used with the underslung rail. I prefer to use it under barrel, mostly because I don't want to switch twice if I need to use my sidearm.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
What is your point? 30-8 w m249 while drunk (people playing drunk and telling people about it are .... btw ) during a 43 min round? That's nothing special, really

You must be confused, when did I say it was special? I'm not stroking an ego or anything, simply providing a perspective on someone who exclusively plays as Support and uses suppression for the squad. How many Support players have you come across who use the role as it should be intended? If I wanted to get an extreme score and boost my exp ratio I would be toting a medic kit & defib on Metro.

What I quoted was scogoth stating that suppression was bollocks pre-patch because you were going to get killed anyway. I provided a counter-viewpoint stating that suppression worked perfectly fine but you had to play decently smart at it to avoid getting shot while spraying down an action zone.

The difference now with the new patch is that even if someone gets the jump on me and they don't have the suppression perk equipped, I can generally kill them before I am finished. That is what needs to be fixed.

scogoth

You must be confused, when did I say it was special? I'm not stroking an ego or anything, simply providing a perspective on someone who exclusively plays as Support and uses suppression for the squad. How many Support players have you come across who use the role as it should be intended? If I wanted to get an extreme score and boost my exp ratio I would be toting a medic kit & defib on Metro.

What I quoted was scogoth stating that suppression was bollocks pre-patch because you were going to get killed anyway. I provided a counter-viewpoint stating that suppression worked perfectly fine but you had to play decently smart at it to avoid getting shot while spraying down an action zone.

The difference now with the new patch is that even if someone gets the jump on me and they don't have the suppression perk equipped, I can generally kill them before I am finished. That is what needs to be fixed.

No I'm saying suppression is bollocks now. Pre patch is was bad now it makes this game all but random in one on one firefights. The arguments that it's "tactical" is bullshit because the ONE scenario where it is useful, against snipers, effectively nullifies that class. Every other scenario its acts as skill equalizer by rewarding players for missing and preventing skilled players from hitting their target by randomly modifying the bullet trajectory to an extent that makes fire fights pure dumb luck. A game mechanic should not be usefully in one situation and ruin every other situation in the game. This isn't a casual game, this is a competitive online fps. Players should be rewarded with kills for having better aim, positioning, squad support, flanking and first to fire. The game should not have excess mathematical randomness added to the firefight to equalize players to the point of stupidity. They tried a new mechanic, they failed to implement it properly, remove it and try again next battlefield.

Edit: better yet remove the gun modifier properties of suppression and keep the visual impairment, that's disadvantage enough without having a bullet spread of seemingly 170 degrees

shouts

Neo Member

I just don't see what your support round adds to the discussion. You flanked some dudes and avoided getting sniped bc of suppression...ok? Doesn't tell me anything. Especially not when suppression always has been stupid in the way it has been implemented.

It's certainly not a huge problem but it's one of those small things that combined with other small issues affect the big picture and feeling of the game.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I just don't see what your support round adds to the discussion. You flanked some dudes and avoided getting sniped bc of suppression...ok? Doesn't tell me anything. Especially not when suppression always has been stupid in the way it has been implemented.

It's certainly not a huge problem but it's one of those small things that combined with other small issues affect the big picture and feeling of the game.
What would be the smart way to implement suppression?

mr_nothin

Banned
I'm actually loving the added suppression and recoil/spread! I think it places a lot more emphasis on your movement/placement/situational awareness. I dont know what most of you are talking about,
about not being able to hit anybody when suppressed in a 1 on 1 gunfight. Yea it makes it harder but not impossible, just dont go full auto like most ppl tend to do. Fire in controlled bursts still and/or move towards cover.

If you're being suppressed behind cover, just lob a grenade for distraction and move to diff cover. The added suppression slows the game down quite a bit and tones down the amount of run & gunners.
My accuracy is still going upwards even after the patch.

It should mainly be for Snipers w/ sniper rifles, Support w/ LMGs, and MAYBE Assault w/ bipod. Anything else outside of that = no suppression

DTKT

I'm actually loving the added suppression and recoil/spread! I think it places a lot more emphasis on your movement/placement/situational awareness. I dont know what most of you are talking about,
about not being able to hit anybody when suppressed in a 1 on 1 gunfight. Yea it makes it harder but not impossible, just dont go full auto like most ppl tend to do. Fire in controlled bursts still and/or move towards cover.

If you're being suppressed behind cover, just lob a grenade for distraction and move to diff cover. The added suppression slows the game down quite a bit and tones down the amount of run & gunners.
My accuracy is still going upwards even after the patch.

It should mainly be for Snipers w/ sniper rifles, Support w/ LMGs, and MAYBE Assault w/ bipod. Anything else outside of that = no suppression

BF3 is not a "precise" game. Getting hit around a corner or while behind cover is incredibly common. That's why I'm against any gameplay elements that remove precision when you should be able to shoot.

Suppression was fine before, now it's a hindrance and a serious hamper on fun gameplay.

mr_nothin

Banned
BF3 is not a "precise" game. Getting hit around a corner or while behind cover is incredibly common. That's why I'm against any gameplay elements that remove precision when you should be able to shoot.

Suppression was fine before, now it's a hindrance and a serious hamper on fun gameplay.

Yea it's definitely not a precise game by any means, especially when it comes to hit detection but with the additional recoil/spread added to the weapons and the faster sprinting....it happens much much less now. I'm able to drop-crouch or prone behind cover and run behind walls a lot more efficiently post-patch than what was capable in the game pre-patch. Pre-patch, the horrible netcode made me not go prone or crouch at all because there was no point since I would just die anyway.

The netcode still sucks but not as much.

DTKT

Yea it's definitely not a precise game by any means, especially when it comes to hit detection but with the additional recoil/spread added to the weapons and the faster sprinting....it happens much much less now. I'm able to drop-crouch or prone behind cover and run behind walls a lot more efficiently post-patch than what was capable in the game pre-patch. Pre-patch, the horrible netcode made me not go prone or crouch at all because there was no point since I would just die anyway.

The netcode still sucks but not as much.

I do agree that that the added recoil and the faster movement helps. But still, the suppression effect is too "strong" and way too easy to "trigger". The issue is that there is no real counter. Yes you can use the suppression reduc perk, but that still doesn't level the playing field.

Reducing the effect of the suppression would help with getting stuck in a time loop where you just can't do shit because there is one fucktard with a T88 with 200 rounds. That's just not fun.

mr_nothin

Banned
I do agree that that the added recoil and the faster movement helps. But still, the suppression effect is too "strong" and way too easy to "trigger". The issue is that there is no real counter. Yes you can use the suppression reduc perk, but that still doesn't level the playing field.

Reducing the effect of the suppression would help with getting stuck in a time loop where you just can't do shit because there is one fucktard with a T88 with 200 rounds. That's just not fun.

Yea I wouldnt mind it being toned down a bit but I dont really mind it where it is right now. Suppression was kind of pointless before the patch and now, maybe it's a little too strong. Should be somewhere between before and now

shouts

Neo Member

Like others already have said, making the screen blurry is fine and giving suppression points. Making the bullet trajectory ridiculously unrealistic is not.

Getting away from the fact that missing shots is being rewarded seems impossible if it is to keep.

As a 30-something person I'm glad they implemented the heavy suppression mechanic. My reflexes aren't what they used to be so I don't want every shooter to reward twitch. The only other thing I'd want is a sniper limit (recon is fine as long as they're doing something else than camping the tallest building or exploiting terrain glitches)

patapuf

I love the new suppression. on maps like Karkand or sharqi i can now effectively pin down campers in buildings while my squadmates storm it. It also makes good cover way more important than pre-patch

Though i am almost never in a 1 vs 1 Situation at distance i can understand why people would find it annoying. This is the situation where you want pure skill to be the difference maker (its not really a problem in cqc imo). They could maybe tone it down a bit but the mechanic was worthless pre-patch.

After playing with the patch for a few days, I really like it. Except for the bugs, like the heat seeker issue and the tank health, I think they did a great job. Hopefully we don't have to wait three months for them to 'hotfix' the little things.

akira28

Jets man. Holy shit. Woo, those things do turn and burn. I can enter a turn and it almost turns into a slide now when I engage the afterburners. I love the tweaks. Only problem is, so do the "professional pilots" who fly in formation with wingmen and all of that. So I still get shot out of the sky pretty easily, but yeah the new jets are nice.

I even like the suppression mechanics. If I'm suppressed, it's a 50/50 I can get out of it by single shotting very carefully, but it's like the support role has become 100% more useful. I can just post up with the bipod away from an area and spot and suppress while another squad does a raid, and it definitely helps. Plus with bipod, some of the MGs become almost accurate enough to snipe with the right scope. But yeah that recoil is a killer, I could go full auto and miss someone more than 10 ft away. It's almost funny.

I guess i can live without the 12X scope on my guns, 8x is ok, I guess.

Biff

Just in case somehow has been toying with making a similar decision as me:

I just upgraded from 4GBs of DDR2-667 to 8GBs of DDR2-800, and it has made a night and day difference with in-game performance. 90% of posters ITT will rightfully laugh at DDR2-800, but for the price of the upgrade I'm guessing I just squeezed another year of life out of my 5.5 year old PC.

I can finally play on high with 50-60fps with a C2Q 8300 and GTX460. Never dips below 30.

I don't know if the patch made a big difference (helped a little but was still getting big frame drops post-patch) but it's such a relief to solve my stupid bottleneck. Next on the docket is to OC my CPU to over 3.0GHz.

So, to summarize: 8GBs vs. 4GBs on old PCs makes a world of difference.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
GTX 560 Ti coming tomorrow. what will i expect guys.

been using a 6770 for a few months

Woo-Fu

Banned
Is there any way to tweak the client-side netcode so I'm not constantly dying a couple seconds after I've been shot, after I'm already prone behind solid cover? It is making doing anything other than flying copters to be a waste of my time in terms of enjoyment.

I don't remember this happening near as often in BF2, or even at all.

Moaradin

I get really shitty fps and frame spikes with my i5 + GTX 460. At most, I get 30 fps on high with the occasional fps spike. It really limits my enjoyment of the game, so I'm pretty happy to play again once my 680 comes tomorrow.

So I see there was a huge patch. Any word if it fixes/allows the gamepad to be used for campaign QTEs on PC? Or is the campaign still comfy-couch incompatible?

Biff

I get really shitty fps and frame spikes with my i5 + GTX 460. At most, I get 30 fps on high with the occasional fps spike. It really limits my enjoyment of the game, so I'm pretty happy to play again once my 680 comes tomorrow.

That sounds really low for a 460. Where there's smoke there's fire... I hope the 680 helps but wouldn't be surprised if you still have issues. Sorry for being a bad news bear.

Moaradin

That sounds really low for a 460. Where there's smoke there's fire... I hope the 680 helps but wouldn't be surprised if you still have issues. Sorry for being a bad news bear.

I think it's mostly a VRAM issue. My 460 gets around 40-50 fps on mostly high settings, but when you need the fps the most(e.g during big firefights, etc.), that's when the fps dips and the spikes occur. I don't know what else it could be. My i5 is overclocked to 4ghz which should be more than enough. I did only have 4gb of ram but I am upgrading to 8gb with my 680.

I think it's mostly a VRAM issue. My 460 gets around 40-50 fps on mostly high settings, but when you need the fps the most(e.g during big firefights, etc.), that's when the fps dips and the spikes occur. I don't know what else it could be. My i5 is overclocked to 4ghz which should be more than enough. I did only have 4gb of ram but I am upgrading to 8gb with my 680.

Nope. VRAM has nothing to do with FPS drops during highly intensive scenes. That's just a lack of GPU power.

I have a 580, but I still play with all the settings at medium. It just feels more responsive to me.

Minimum FPS is higher @ Medium, that's why it feels more responsive. Less drops overall.

A nice wait and a huge patch later and they don't fix the one small thing that makes the PC version unplayable with a controller, the damn mouse-keyboard-only QTEs.

Fuck this game.

Top Bottom