• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT2| Mine! RendeZook! Wa Isl!

Donos

is it just me or is the "add to favourites" not working right in the damn battlelog? i added like 5 servers but none of them shows up. Only in "history".

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Dont listen to them. They are all bad players that need vehicles to have a positive k/d. Battlefield is about infantry as well. For oman you dont really need a vehicle if you hang around G, E, F.
I think you need to be proficient in both vehicles and infantry to be a well rounded BF3 player. Unless you just play infantry only maps, but then you're missing out on most of the content.

Dont listen to them. They are all bad players that need vehicles to have a positive k/d. Battlefield is about infantry as well. For oman you dont really need a vehicle if you hang around G, E, F.

Vehicle is less than 1/8 of my kills, can I cast the first stone?
or am I now allowed cause console players are 2/3 of a person?

Divius

Played some zombie mode today, lot of fun..until people start parachuting into areas that are otherwise impossible to get to.

Hejdlond

I think you need to be proficient in both vehicles and infantry to be a well rounded BF3 player. Unless you just play infantry only maps, but then you're missing out on most of the content.

I concur. While infantry heavy maps such as Seine Crossing are good, Caspian, Kharg, Firestorm and Oman is where BF3 really shines IMO.

Facism

Oman feels a bit weird in BF3, I think I enjoyed it more in BF2.

Karkand is way more fun in BF3 due to the fact that most people only have 1 grenade as opposed to 3 or 4 in BF2.

I miss the hanger and railtrack opposite flag A. I also miss the Village capture point. Destroyable bridges are also missed. Was there also more vehicles, like an extra transport chopper for the US side?

I love this game.

Gulf of Oman. I'm in an F-35 shooting at someone at Beach Landing. Coming in too steep and too fast cause I was cocky, pull up too late. Bail out at the last second. Plane miraculously lands on a tree, unharmed. Rifle down the guy I was gunning for, jump back in the F-35 and fly away. Heyoooooooooooo.

Donos

Well, the CQC maps are a positive suprise (ok scrap metal is rather bad). I really like the destruction especially in ziba tower.
Gun Game is gun game. Good old CS 1.6 days. They also need a reverse mode for it.

mxgt

Banned
lol at admins kicking me for putting C4 on flags in close quarters games

What the hell is wrong with that? I c4 a flag and then go to cap another. I regularly check if the flag I c4'd is getting capped and if it is I blow it up

Sure is butthurt admins :|

Nori Chan

lol at admins kicking me for putting C4 on flags in close quarters games

What the hell is wrong with that? I c4 a flag and then go to cap another. I regularly check if the flag I c4'd is getting capped and if it is I blow it up

Sure is butthurt admins :|
I honestly hate that end that's why I jam the spot button and carry two nades

you should kill yourself with c4 asshole :|

What is this? I've never heard of it.

Zombie mode is a classic gametype across all FPS. Usually, one team is humans the other is zombies. Humans start with shotguns and pistols only, zombies usually just get knives, maybe a pistol. Usually one zombie starts and the rest of the server is on the human team. As a zombie kills a human, the human gets switched to the zombie team. Eventually, there are so many zombies the humans try to lock an area down and wait things out, but eventually get overrun. Good times. Perfect Dark Zero had an amazing zombie mode.

Zombie mode is a classic gametype across all FPS. Usually, one team is humans the other is zombies. Humans start with shotguns and pistols only, zombies usually just get knives, maybe a pistol. Usually one zombie starts and the rest of the server is on the human team. As a zombie kills a human, the human gets switched to the zombie team. Eventually, there are so many zombies the humans try to lock an area down and wait things out, but eventually get overrun. Good times. Perfect Dark Zero had an amazing zombie mode.

I know the gamemode, just didn't know that people played it in BF3. Must require a dedicated admin to keep things in line right?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
*joins Conquest Large Firestorm server*
*team rapidly ends up with ~100 tickets versus 500+ opposition*

Possibly the biggest team of fucking failures I've ever seen. Not one single capture because nobody made any effort to work together. Un-fucking-believable.

Possibly the biggest team of fucking failures I've ever seen. Not one single capture because nobody made any effort to work together. Un-fucking-believable.

The entire weekend any server I would join the score is like this. ugh...

If I'm on a fucked team I usually just camp in the back with a sniper rifle and end a 45 minute round round with 5 kills and 3 deaths

Donos

Thought the double XP week starts tomorrow but i'm always getting xtra XP (seems double the xp i earned) when i play Gun game on the CQC maps. Is this always the case or for a limited time?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
If I'm on a fucked team I usually just camp in the back with a sniper rifle and end a 45 minute round round with 5 kills and 3 deaths

I tried to bail and do my own thing. Our spawn was getting camped by pro helis and jets. Last thing I saw was some reject in our AA trying to hit an enemy heli way off in the distance, as a jet flew back and forth just behind him preventing our own from taking off. That's when I figured it was time to quit.

But I'm just playing defensively :(

Was it a large server by chance? C4'd capture points is a perfectly viable strategy as far as I'm concerned. On big servers you can be on the other side of the map, see the point you C4'd getting captured, detonate, and earn 3 - 5 easy kills while protecting the spawn. On big servers I've seen a few admins crack the sads over such behaviour, simply because their dumb, teamworkless big server is easily exploitable by *shock horror* basic tactics.

They'd rather people run around recklessly capturing and shooting without having to worry about people doing more than holding W and M1.

mxgt

Banned
Was it a large server by chance? C4'd capture points is a perfectly viable strategy as far as I'm concerned. On big servers you can be on the other side of the map, see the point you C4'd getting captured, detonate, and earn 3 - 5 easy kills while protecting the spawn. On big servers I've seen a few admins crack the sads over such behaviour, simply because their dumb, teamworkless big server is easily exploitable by *shock horror* basic tactics.

They'd rather people run around recklessly capturing and shooting without having to worry about people doing more than holding W and M1.

Yup, I completely agree. As it is right now Close Quarters Dom is basically rush from 1 point to the next, I just try to stop that. It's easy to avoid so I don't know why people get so upset although the whining after I get 3-4 kills does amuse me.

And it's usually on 16 player servers, on the bigger ones a lot of the time I die before I get a chance to detonate.

Some servers even kick for shotgun use which is even more ridiculous.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
He's not wrong. Battlefield 3 is the best thing to happen to shooters since Counter-Strike. In my opinion, the vehicles detract from the experience. It's why I prefer maps that don't have helicopters ruining my fun constantly.

Close quarters <3
The irony is that the gunplay in the Battlefield franchise was complete shit until BF3.

Anyone know of a fix for an xbox controller that won't work in the PC version?

I'm using it with the pc wireless dongle, and I'm turning it on before launching the game, but it doesnt respond in-game at all.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Anyone know of a fix for an xbox controller that won't work in the PC version?

I'm using it with the pc wireless dongle, and I'm turning it on before launching the game, but it doesnt respond in-game at all.

The game doesn't properly support a wired 360 pad, so I'm gonna guess you are completely out of luck with a wireless dongle.

Blutonium

While playing this game for about 15 minutes, my game freezes and when I Ctrl Alt Del, I see a message that says Battlefield 3 has stopped responding, and then I have to force close the game.

Any fix for this?

Posted this in your thread, it worked for me:

Was posting this in the BF3 thread, but I kept getting ignored, so I might as well make a new thread for this.

I can't even play this game on my PC because it crashes every time I play it for 5 minutes. It's either some DirectX error or something else, because when I tried playing the game again recently, it just crashed to the desktop without any warning that I could read.

My specs:

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Processor, 3.4 GHz
Geforce GTX 680 graphics card
4 GB RAM

4GB RAM has got to be it.

When BF3 came out, the game ran without any problems. About 4 months after release, a few patches later, it would stutter a lot at what seemed random moments. Out of nowhere the game crashed on me every now and then - no warnings at all. Open your Windows Task Manager and check the Performance window while you play. BF3 should peak with 4 GB RAM nowadays, crashing the game. Since I upgraded my RAM, everything is smooth as fucking butter, without ANY crashes.

TL;DR The patches are the culprit, spiking your RAM. 4 GB is no longer the minimal requirement. At least not for my PC.

*Edit:

Here, look at the gradual memory usage increase while I'm playing BF3. It surpasses 4 GB, that's when your game crashes.

ZbsdA.png

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Sorry I know this has been asked a billion times but is this game worth getting if you like the CoD series, and if you have a top spec PC?

1)How is the single player campaign, particularly when compared to COD? Is it longer?

2)Is the story deeper, more involved than COD?

3)Which one is more linear?

4)How's the multiplayer compared to COD/MW3/BO?.

Never played a Battlefield game before.

The single payer is garbage. Until the Bad Company games Battlefield never even had a single player as it is not necessary for a game like this.

Sorry I know this has been asked a billion times but is this game worth getting if you like the CoD series, and if you have a top spec PC?

1)How is the single player campaign, particularly when compared to COD? Is it longer?

I have gotten quite a lot of friends to play battlefield who were hardcore CoD players and they were in awe of how awesome the game was. As far as the campaign goes, it's fun to play but the AI is just as bad as CoD's. There are some pretty fun missions that I ended up playing a few times. There aren't really any memorable characters and there is about just as much plot as the CoD story. Some parts are pretty linear. The co-op missions are pretty fun as long as you play with a friend. Multiplayer is where this game shines, just like CoD. The main thing that differentiates Battlefield from CoD is destruction and vehicle combat. The maps are much bigger too. I will say that battles get a LOT more intense in battlefield than CoD. When you get a good game, there is just chaos everywhere. It just feels like a battlefield. The gametrailers review gives you a pretty good idea of how the game is. The multiplayer, Caspian Border, and Gulf of Oman trailers give you a pretty good idea of how the multiplayer is. Gulf of Oman is a DLC map though. The best advice I can give you is that battlefield isn't really anything like CoD, so don't play the game like you do in CoD.

I got the xbox controller working.

I have a Razer Nostromo, which was overriding the xbox controller in-game. I disabled the Nostromo from the "Human Interface Devices" list in Device Manager. Now the Xbox controller works and the Nostromo still works the same as ever too.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I have gotten quite a lot of friends to play battlefield who were hardcore CoD players and they were in awe of how awesome the game was. As far as the campaign goes, it's fun to play but the AI is just as bad as CoD's. There are some pretty fun missions that I ended up playing a few times. There aren't really any memorable characters and there is about just as much plot as the CoD story. Some parts are pretty linear. The co-op missions are pretty fun as long as you play with a friend. Multiplayer is where this game shines, just like CoD. The main thing that differentiates Battlefield from CoD is destruction and vehicle combat. The maps are much bigger too. I will say that battles get a LOT more intense in battlefield than CoD. When you get a good game, there is just chaos everywhere. It just feels like a battlefield. The gametrailers review gives you a pretty good idea of how the game is. The multiplayer, Caspian Border, and Gulf of Oman trailers give you a pretty good idea of how the multiplayer is. Gulf of Oman is a DLC map though. The best advice I can give you is that battlefield isn't really anything like CoD, so don't play the game like you do in CoD.

Thanks AM.

CatPee

1/2/3. Same length/linearity/generic terrorist whack-a-mole shoot-em-up.

4. MP is the true meat of the game and where it excels, of course. I don't believe there's any other game that allows you to do Rendezooks, jet swaps, etc. As long as you don't expect guns to be laser accurate in full auto and learn some basic tactics, you'll be ok.

CrankyJay

Banned
Finally got that laser designation medal...marathoned the last 125 designations over 2 days. Basically just camped the mountain in a 64 players Operation Firestorm 24/7 server. I think DICE may have patched it a little bit to make it register hits easier.

Oh well...on to that mortar medal.

Top Bottom