• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT2| Mine! RendeZook! Wa Isl!

Sethos

Banned
how many people were in that game?

i mean, i've had situations like that on occasion, but never even twice in a row.

I go for Hardcore servers, as they populate a LOT slower but 3-4 people up to about 6 and then just bounce around the teams if required. Got mine done 2 hours ago basically joined 7 servers and it worked 5 times. That L85 is a beast! Shoots arrow straight.

Easiest thing to do is find one with a small amount of players, look at the score chart before joining, find one with a squad that's way ahead or close to victory - Join the server and see if you can hook up with that squad, win in 5 minutes.

not totally related, but i still remember this one day when i was playing BC2 on 360. i joined a game with my friends, but was on the opposite team and the game was full. it was the 2nd set of M-COMs on Isla Inocentes Rush, and i was on the attacking team. so, i went with my squad of randoms and armed B, then got an invite from a friend because there was now a spot on the other team. so i went to accept the invite, and while i was in the guide, i got killed. i accepted the invite and was switched to the other team, AND THEN GOT REVIVED!!! so i was in a US soldier player model while fighting on the Russian team! we were all talking about it in party chat, it was one of the funniest things we ever saw. then i died a few minutes later, fun over :(

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/forum/threadview/2832654625109362429/

* You can no longer revive someone who has switched team while being dead. This prevents a case where soldiers would be resurrected into the new team while still wearing the old team's uniform.

I go for Hardcore servers, as they populate a LOT slower but 3-4 people up to about 6 and then just bounce around the teams if required. Got mine done 2 hours ago basically joined 7 servers and it worked 5 times. That L85 is a beast! Shoots arrow straight.

Easiest thing to do is find one with a small amount of players, look at the score chart before joining, find one with a squad that's way ahead or close to victory - Join the server and see if you can hook up with that squad, win in 5 minutes.
quoted the wrong person there?

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/forum/threadview/2832654625109362429/

* You can no longer revive someone who has switched team while being dead. This prevents a case where soldiers would be resurrected into the new team while still wearing the old team's uniform.

DICE kills another awesome feature!

Hellcrow

For the people that want the Squad DM assignment, just filter SQDM servers with a few players and join it. Either join the winning team, as there's not enough players to occupy a full team or people tend to spread out, if you join the losing team just switch at the last moment.

I just got 4 / 5 in 5 games. I know it's cheap but some of these assignments are just annoying, so I'll get 'em done whatever way possible.

Can already tell the EOD Bot kill is going to give me sleepless nights ...

Those stuff slay tanks if you manage to sneak up on one.

Also started playing BF3 again. I preferred normal before, but now I prefer Hardcore. Suppose it favours my slower more cautious playstyle.

Is BF3 even popular in the competitive FPS scene? I feel it's the most enjoyable multiplayer FPS around but it seems badly optimized for esports.

Spl1nter

Could I get an opinion from someone who doesn't have an incredibly obvious agenda against BF3

The game isnt designed for competitive multiplayer. None of the battlefields have been. It still however can be a fun competitive game but the maps and class balance are not made for competition.

I will just note that COD is not a good game for competitive multiplayer either. My opinion is held in this perspective, unless a game is designed for it, it wont be good for it (quake live, starcraft 2).

with a k/d less than 1, definitely not.

Sethos

Banned
Is BF3 even popular in the competitive FPS scene? I feel it's the most enjoyable multiplayer FPS around but it seems badly optimized for esports.

No, you will get a big hearty belly flop laugh if you even mention Battlefield 3 at a competitive tournament or the likes. Game's fun and all but the shoddy client-side hit detection and everything it entails, along with a rubbish spawn system and too many 'random' factors makes for one of the worst competitive experiences around.

It's one of those games you play with friends or have fun with alone, it'll never have a place in the eSport scene, unless you see one of those cringeworthy publisher / developer pushed tournaments with a bunch of hired players and commentators. They could go back to the alpha's client-side hit detection, implement some competitive modes with no respawn which would eliminate the respawn issues and you could actually make a halfway decent competitive game out of it yet.

I only have a pathetic 2.11 K/D ratio, low accuracy because of my trigger finger and poor stats overall so I'm not sure my opinion is valid in Spl1nter's eyes. http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/soldier/Sethos88/stats/175043133/ I'm not worthy.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
The game isnt designed for competitive multiplayer. None of the battlefields have been. It still however can be a fun competitive game but the maps and class balance are not made for competition.

I will just note that COD is not a good game for competitive multiplayer either. My opinion is held in this perspective, unless a game is designed for it, it wont be good for it (quake live, starcraft 2).

with a k/d less than 1, definitely not.
Battlefield isn't about K/D. It's about getting the job done.

Alucrid

Banned
There are spots on certain maps that are laggy in every circumstance. On Seine Crossing, on the road that connects A to C and the Russian Spawn, the corner of the building there is like quicksand. I even refer to it as "The Slowdown" during games, in case anyone ever wonders what the hell I'm talking about. Left and Right Apartments, the Slowdown, Left and Right Bakeries, the Candy Shop, the Flower Shop, etc.

Can't say I ever noticed that, but this happens on every map and every game type I've been playing and I've never noticed it before. Last night I did check my recent players are there were a few from Colombia which I suppose could cause the connection problem.

Spl1nter

It's one of those games you play with friends or have fun with alone, it'll never have a place in the eSport scene, unless you see one of those cringeworthy publisher / developer pushed tournaments with a bunch of hired players and commentators. They could go back to the alpha's client-side hit detection, implement some competitive modes with no respawn which would eliminate the respawn issues and you could actually make a halfway decent competitive game out of it yet.

Quite true. The base game mechanics aside from server-side hit detection are strong and balanced enough that maps and modes designed for competitive modes it could work out quite well. However that is a hell of a commitment and fps as a competitive esports will still make more sense as a quake style game.

I only have a pathetic 2.11 K/D ratio, low accuracy because of my trigger finger and poor stats overall so I'm not sure my opinion is valid in Spl1nter's eyes. http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/soldier/Sethos88/stats/175043133/ I'm not worthy.

No for you your opinion is not valid becuase of how much you complain about the game on GAF but continue to play. This clearly shows some sort of bipolar disorder. Therefore your opinion cannot be held valid because of your mental instability. Cant trust a crazy person now!

Strange, i thought it was about having fun lol.
Battlefield isn't about K/D. It's about getting the job done.

This is all done by killing people.

-Amon-

This is all done by killing people.

Or Spotting for the team, or capping flags, or planting bombs, or reviving teammates at the right moments, or supplying teammates with ammo, or providing smoke cover via mortar for the team, or repairing tanks and helis, or carrying paratroopers via transport heli.

By your response you don't really look as the ideal teammate you know.

Sethos

Banned
Or Spotting for the team, or capping flags, or planting bombs, or reviving teammates at the right moments, or supplying teammates with ammo, or providing smoke cover via mortar for the team, or repairing tanks and helis, or carrying paratroopers via transport heli.

What is this? More killing! Kill the spotters, kill the cappers, kill the planters, kill the revivers, kill the suppliers, kill the smokers, kill the mortars, kill the engineers repairing, shoot the pilots.

What is this? More killing! Kill the spotters, kill the cappers, kill the planters, kill the revivers, kill the suppliers, kill the smokers, kill the mortars, kill the engineers repairing, shoot the pilots.

I can shoot the pilots but I can't kill them? =/

Spl1nter

By your response you don't really look as the ideal teammate you know.

I spot people all the time so its easier for me to kill them.
Capping a flag requires you killing the enemy in the cap zone.
Planting a bomb is useless if you dont kill people to defend it.
You dont have to revive teammates if you kill the enemy shooting at them first.
Only reason for supplying ammo is because other people are killing people and you are not.
Smoke inhibits your ability to clearly see people to kill.
You repair vehicles so you can get more kills.

Seems like you need to learn to support the team by killing more. Try to be a team player.

-Amon-

I spot people all the time so its easier for me to kill them.
Capping a flag requires you killing the enemy in the cap zone.
Planting a bomb is useless if you dont kill people to defend it.
You dont have to revive teammates if you kill the enemy shooting at them first.
Only reason for supplying ammo is because other people are killing people and you are not.
Smoke inhibits your ability to clearly see people to kill.
You repair vehicles so you can get more kills.

Seems like you need to learn to support the team by killing more. Try to be a team player.

One Caps, the others kill wtf, the same for planting. For reviving i used the term "at the right moment" for a reason.

I was pointing out in the end that this game has so much more to do than just killing. Your response only reaffirm my initial thought.

Sethos

Banned
iMUhVujXdRr2L.png

Spl1nter

One Caps, the others kill wtf, the same for planting. For reviving i used the term "at the right moment" for a reason.

I was pointing out in the end that this game has so much more to do than just killing. Your response only reaffirm my initial thought.

Well I think my teammates will likely me more as I kill all the people shooting at them instead of just sitting around watching as they get shot at because I am 'capping the point'. True fact, you need teammates to be alive in order to be a team player.

I think you now realize that killing is the most important part of the game, you are just afraid to admit it.

Xux

It'd be nice if they ditched the ticket system and made the objective modes purely objective based.

how much time?

But instead of setting the mcom you have to steal it and return it to your base! We shall call it Capture the MCOM!

no! you start in the middle of the map and when one side gets the other side's two m-com stations, the playable area moves in that direction. if the 2nd team does the same, then it doesn't move back to the middle, it moves to the other team's 2nd set.. and then 3rd set wins!

Hejdlond

Yes, shotguns are serious business in CQC. I've seen a lot of servers banning/forbidding C4 and shotguns. Even joined one who forbid tac lights.

Here's some nightmare fuel for you all:
bf301q1lqd.jpg

bf302qvyfw.jpg

wat? ;)

Sethos

Banned
BF3 is the finest MP experience of the last 5 years.

Killing, and killing enough to push forward is the most important part of the game. I've done enough killing in my time to know.

Did you even see the post I replied to, because you enjoy something and can get some kills doesn't make a game suitable for competitive play.

Yes, shotguns are serious business in CQC. I've seen a lot of servers banning/forbidding C4 and shotguns. Even joined one who forbid tac lights.

It's odd, when I see people with a shotgun they tend to wreck havoc but I rarely do see a shotgun. Quite a few servers have them banned but the ones that don't, people just doesn't seem to use shotgun all that often. Personally I'm awful with them, especially with this games hit detection it takes too long getting used to. Rifles tend to get me way better results, especially the F2000.

Did you even see the post I replied to, because you enjoy something and can get some kills doesn't make a game suitable for competitive play.

It's odd, when I see people with a shotgun they tend to wreck havoc but I rarely do see a shotgun. Quite a few servers have them banned but the ones that don't, people just doesn't seem to use shotgun all that often. Personally I'm awful with them, especially with this games hit detection it takes too long getting used to. Rifles tend to get me way better results, especially the F2000.

I think all that shotgut "hate" was aimed at the full-auto guns with the pre-patch frag shells. Now I don't really see a point banning them at all. I got kicked/banned a few times because of shotguns - I got killed a few times with them myself but when I got the admin and 2 of his friends it was over for me. It wasn't even on purpose - I was playing CQC before but forgot to switch weapons and on Caspian Border a shotgun is rather useless...

fritolay

Ah the good ol' days when games were supposed to be about fun

I find the game quite fun doing things I know helps my squad. Playing recon and spotting people or vehicles, then see my team take them out. 10 spot points don't really show much in terms of score, but they are important, and I have fun doing so.

Also taking out planes and helicopters and changing the flow of the game, this is fun. This is why Battlefield is such a good game. You don't have to do one or two things, or be good and one or two things, and you can help your team.

KingKong

man I'm in love with the F2000, if only it had extended mags. that thing just cuts through enemies.

is the P90 similar? just 2 more levels to go to unlock it

demolitio

Are most people that hop in the helos really this stupid? I don't get how the game has been out this long yet people with high ranks still apparently don't know how to play properly in the helo. First 20 times, I let this guy gun and keep telling him to go after the AA since I know exactly where it's at and I keep disabling it with rockets but he somehow just sits in there the whole time and rarely ever fires and it's usually at infantry on the move in buildings instead of the big targets that I already leveled. Then, I'd set up in a perfect spot to get the enemy helo who's in the middle of the map and they once again ignore the most dangerous threat and just sit there as I hit the helo with rockets which of course is never enough compared to both rockets and 30mm being fired back at us.

Then I let the guy fly once and he just gets really high and doesn't even move which left us absolutely screwed as every jet, helo, and AA on the map are firing at us and he can't even get me close to their AA to kill which I called out AGAIN.

Maybe I'm used to always flying with my friend as the gunner, even back in BF2, where we'd top the charts and lay waste to people while covering flags and prioritizing targets but the amount of stupidity out there right now is insane for a game that's been out this long. I've always been a good pilot and pretty good gunner but these guys make me look bad because I don't even end up with any assist points since they don't hit shit. All I get to do is disable vehicles with rocket sweeps and wound infantry before the AA gets its vengeance as I swoop in expecting my gunner to finish him off.

It's sad that people make such powerful vehicles a waste to the team and then keep using them. When I have an off day, I get far away from the air vehicles if I don't think I'm contributing enough. Armored Kill should be interesting to see how people waste the new vehicles just for the sake of saying they used the new shit.

mxgt

Banned
I can barely join a CQC server these days without constant whining about C4 and shotguns in chat.

The thought of Shotguns actually being useful is surely outrageous.

Also I tried playing in 60hz again after using a 120hz monitor for a few weeks. oh god it's so laggy.

KingKong

woot just got the Squad DM assignment

it was actually really easy, I found a 16 man CQ map server and then our squad just stuck together and healed/revived each other. also it was set to 25 kill victory which means rounds lasted really fast so losing wasnt a big deal (ugh losing on 150 kill squad dm is just..ugh)

should have had it one round earlier, we were on Scrapmetal at 24 kills and another team was at 21 but we got jumped at that chokepoint staircase and they won :<

Top Bottom