• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 |OT| See, Spot, Run

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spl1nter

Fersis said:
Same here.
COD set this awful standard of unlocking,progress,stats and all that jazz.

Actually it was all BF2's fault Battlefield series started the trend, 2142 added to it and then COD4 went crazy with it. I dislike unlocks. Especially the COD style were you are severely handicapped for so long. BC2 handicap inst that bad in comparison. Someone could just grind easily to magnum ammo/armor with medic. All the base guns are decent also.

dkeane

Played a couple of onslaught games, really fun so far. I've been playing with random people and they all are using mics which is strange. Only downside is I've gotten kicked from a bunch of games by network connection failures. The new lighting on the levels is really cool, especially the effects when in the vehicles.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
OldJadedGamer said:
But how is the quality of playing with other folks not on your friend's list? I know it will depend but just a general idea. Plus, where are the new achievements/trophies?
I played several matches with random players and i had zero lag... the two assault guys didnt threw a single ammo kit ~__~

Psykotik

OldJadedGamer said:
But how is the quality of playing with other folks not on your friend's list? I know it will depend but just a general idea. Plus, where are the new achievements/trophies?

played with some randoms earlier with no lag.

also, the new lighting in atacama looks awesome.

Well, I meant "quality" as in the game itself on a gameplay level. Of course this is going to be a blast with all your friends but how does the actual game hold up when you're playing with randoms. Not lag, but fun of the game.

Psykotik

ah well. playing with randoms, well, i would expect it to suck. you'll probably never be able to get good low times with randoms. haven't really played enough to have give good judgment but that's what i'd expect.

best played with friends i suppose. easier to coordinate attacks and actually communicate. but that's a no brainer.

i posted the new trophies a while back. here it is again.

11wg66d.jpg

todahawk

Fersis said:
Played some Conquest matches with Olimpia84 and we had 0 lag.
Looks like the server side mainteinance helped a little bit :D

Onslaught Mode Impressions:
- No lag if youre host
- No lag if you are not host but you may see some weird hit detection. (Nothing crazy)
- I played on Normal difficulty and it was a good challenge... so hardcore must be a beast.
- Loooots of stuff explosions and bullets flying all over the place.
- It seems to be crazy fun with a full GAF squad.
- You can play it all by yourself.

Awesome, thanks Fersis! If I get on tonight I'll give it a go.

Najaf said:
Can anyone confirm if Destruction 2.0 kills in onslaught work towards the trophy/achievement?
I'll second this question, anyone?
i need my damn d 2.0 kills

Psykotik

one minor issue though.

i have the R3 version of the game and i bought the R1 DLC from the US store (didn't want to wait for the singapore store to update, did the same with the specact kits too).

but when you start up onslaught, on the loading screens the button prompts are messed up.

it says O to start and O to invite.

but it's actually X to start and triangle to invite.

not sure if this is because i bought R1 DLC to play on an R3 disc or if it's just another case of messed up button prompts like in the R3 version or red dead redemption.

anyway, just a minor glitch and doesn't really affect gameplay.

are the button prompts messed up for those of you with R1 discs?

again, it should be X to start and triangle to invite. does it say otherwise?

edit:

img0706l.jpg

Spl1nter said:
Actually it was all BF2's fault Battlefield series started the trend, 2142 added to it and then COD4 went crazy with it. I dislike unlocks. Especially the COD style were you are severely handicapped for so long. BC2 handicap inst that bad in comparison. Someone could just grind easily to magnum ammo/armor with medic. All the base guns are decent also.

You had unlocks in BF2 and such but they were very few really unlike to the extent seen nowadays, and also it was not something that took off till COD did it. Lot of games after continued without unlocking and some had developed there own unlock systems. But it wasn't till MW came along that the whole craze of unlocking weapons in a FPS became big.

BF2 and such are hardly to blame for the xp/unlock nonsense.

Sanjay

DenogginizerOS said:
Is PC GAF playing BC2 tonight? I am on Steam if anyone is playing.

GG's today.

It was good to play with 2 full squads of gaffers, most fun I have had with this game thus far, normally I play on the other team and go round looking to knife them like a ninja but as that is broken I like played the game proper for once :D.

1stStrike

Banned
Ok, umm...

I'm a starving artist right now (aka no job) and I can't afford onslaught. So, looks like I won't be playing it with you guys. :|

Spl1nter

EvaPlusMinus said:
Posting here to defy Spl1nter's expectations.

lol. You should of joined us tonight. PC GAF came out to play for once. Good games all around.

BattleMoney said:
BF2 and such are hardly to blame for the xp/unlock nonsense.

BF2 was notorious for statpadding and having ranked and unranked servers. Mods have had difficulty with achieving high player counts in BF2 because people didnt want to play on unranked servers all because of their precious XP. Maybe it didnt hit the consoles till cod4 but it xp/unlocking has been huge on the pc since 2005.

Right as you leave Snrub I have my best round. You are a negative influence on my gaming. Finally was on a server where I could consistently get headshots with the sniper rifle...

DenogginizerOS said:
Is PC GAF playing BC2 tonight? I am on Steam if anyone is playing.
Hey sorry for not telling you about the mumble server. Hope you had fun, haha.

Great games tonight playing with and against gaffers. I was Anton Sugar, btw.

Who told us to go play MW2? Glad most of us got on the same tram near the end, we didn't do half bad.

Also, Lupurnican has played with me and Spl1nter before. His brother was Lorccan.

Spl1nter said:
l

BF2 was notorious for statpadding and having ranked and unranked servers. Mods have had difficulty with achieving high player counts in BF2 because people didnt want to play on unranked servers all because of their precious XP. Maybe it didnt hit the consoles till cod4 but it xp/unlocking has been huge on the pc since 2005.

Yet again it was something that other developers did not try to replicate. If anything the nonsense that went on with BF2 scared developers away from it till COD4 "did it right" apparently. Don't see how it was "huge" on PC when it basically amounted to 2 games doing it.....

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Spl1nter said:
lol. You should of joined us tonight. PC GAF came out to play for once. Good games all around.

Wasn't even aware of it. I'll have to keep an eye out on this thread more often.

Spl1nter

BattleMonkey said:
Don't see how it was "huge" on PC when it basically amounted to 2 games doing it.....

Well BF2 was one of the most popular FPS on PC thats why it was huge on PC. Were there even any big FPS multiplayer games on PC between BF2/2142 and COD4? People mainly played CS, COD2 and BF2 before COD4 hit if im not mistaken

Disappointed Onslaught isn't out on 360 yet. Honestly, DICE couldn't have submitted this to MS for certification a little earlier? Didn't seem like too large of a developmental undertaking so it's probably been done for a while...Anyway, hope we get it soon.

Seventy5

Onslaught is fucking awesome. Played about 6 rounds on PS3 tonight, all mics except 1 round. Only finished twice though, the AI is fucking relentless. Well worth the $10, and I think this might be Bad Company's nazi zombies.

olimpia84

So I decided to get Onslaught and gave it a go with Fersis. I had no lag issues but this weird 'bug' happened in which no matter how much I shot certain enemies they wouldn't die (like entire clips of ammo).
It was really weird and annoying since it kind of happened often. Then after playing two matches I got kicked out with a 'server connection' message and couldn't get back into Onslaught for some reason, but I was able to play any of the other modes so I jumped to Conquest. Had some good matches with Fersis, NoStyle and dreamgazer (little to no lag).

Overall, I can't really rate Onslaught yet because of the particular bug I had, but it definitely looks like it could be a fun mode if you get a good squad that works together.

Nabster92

I need to get in on this PC GAF action. Finally finished unlocking everything at least, but I've only played like one game with Kak and everything else has pretty much just been random rush games.

I'll try to come on next time you guys are down to play. My tag is Nabster92. If I'm not there and you wanna try to get another person in feel free to IM me on AIM to see if I'm not doing anything else: nabster9288

1stStrike

Banned
Ok, just to confirm: you can't join onslaught even if someone else invites you into their game. Looks like I'm gonna have to wait until I'm able to find a job in this frigging state if I want to play it. Or, scrape some pennies off the street.

LegoDad

olimpia84 said:
So I decided to get Onslaught and gave it a go with Fersis. I had no lag issues but this weird 'bug' happened in which no matter how much I shot certain enemies they wouldn't die (like entire clips of ammo).
It was really weird and annoying since it kind of happened often. Then after playing two matches I got kicked out with a 'server connection' message and couldn't get back into Onslaught for some reason, but I was able to play any of the other modes so I jumped to Conquest. Had some good matches with Fersis, NoStyle and dreamgazer (little to no lag).

Overall, I can't really rate Onslaught yet because of the particular bug I had, but it definitely looks like it could be a fun mode if you get a good squad that works together.

This bug is annoying as hell.

Klocker

The Faceless Master said:
:lol :lol :lol

that's a great fix. play on UK servers!

Crazy as it sounds, this was the first night enjoying this game in 2 months... as good as it's ever been after this "fix" compared to the laggy ass bullshit I've been subjected to.

Now of course, if everyone does it, it'll probably get worse again. :lol

1stStrike said:
Ok, umm...

I'm a starving artist right now (aka no job) and I can't afford onslaught. So, looks like I won't be playing it with you guys. :|
If it makes you feel any better I never intended to get it myself :D

Psykotik

olimpia84 said:
It was really weird and annoying since it kind of happened often.

played a bit more onslaught and i just experienced the above after randomly joining a public game. i could NOT kill anybody AT ALL. i empty a whole 200 bullet clip from my LMG into an enemy and he just stood there taking it without dying.

the only way i could kill anybody was by running them over with a humvee.

what is this?

Raide

big_z said:
so if UK servers work fine im guessing the lag just comes down to EA cheaping out on servers.

Now we will have everyone flooding our nice lag-free severs. Away with thee laggy scum!

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Psykotik said:
played a bit more onslaught and i just experienced the above after randomly joining a public game. i could NOT kill anybody AT ALL. i empty a whole 200 bullet clip from my LMG into an enemy and he just stood there taking it without dying.

the only way i could kill anybody was by running them over with a humvee.

what is this?
My theory: Lag... Onslaught is P2P, so every player has to sync their game with the host.

LegoDad

Fersis said:
My theory: Lag... Onslaught is P2P, so every player has to sync their game with the host.

lag doesn't mean an enemy can take 200 shots, while just standing there.

I can run up to these guys an knife him 70 times and he won't die.

It's a glitch.

todahawk

Fersis said:

Yeah, I was gonna ask you about the "host" thing you mentioned in your impressions post.

I've been thinking about changing my location but wasn't sure it would make any difference. If I have problems I'll switch it to UK and see how it goes (too bad I just can't tell it i'm west coast usa)

U2NUMB

Snowballo said:
So just PS3 version and just in US, right?
What about X360?

Nobody knows.. they announced a delay sort of as they phrased it "In the very near future". No matter how you look at it this was handled really badly as far as 360 owners go.

I hate to be "That guy" but last week EA and Sony took turns rubbing up on each other at E3 and shortly after the MOH beta was delayed on the 360 only and still has no set date. Now comes Onslaught and on the DAY it was supposed to be released complete with ads and all they delay it on the 360.

I think they need to just be honest about it. So far the fact that they have not given a reason will lead to people thinking it is a back door deal. It certainly might be but just be honest. Exclusive or timed DLC is the wave of the future but seriously dropping the info ON the release date is low.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I don't know what the deal is. Maybe a EA/Sony deal, maybe EA forgot about the MS certification. Maybe a Activision/MS deal. I don't know, but it sure sucks that they hyped the crap out of this mode and the MOH beta and have dropped the ball badly on both for the 360.

What makes it worse is the fact they don't communicate anything to the consumer. Just seem to take a, "You will get it, when you get it," attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom