• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 |OT| See, Spot, Run

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volcynika

RbBrdMan said:
So what is the deal? I've never really bothered with Steam the PC games that I do get I buy physical copies of. Do they let you download it early then wait to email you the key at midnight?

Or, do they just open it up for download at midnight?

If the latter that sucks big time. I imagine their servers will take a pretty decent knock.

Preloading is just downloading a locked version of the game. You don't get emailed any CD-Key, it's attached to the download.

Tokubetsu

RbBrdMan said:
So what is the deal? I've never really bothered with Steam the PC games that I do get I buy physical copies of. Do they let you download it early then wait to email you the key at midnight?

If the latter that sucks big time. I imagine their servers will take a pretty decent knock.

A lot of their big name games they allow you to "preload" You basically download the entire game a week before actual release then they "unlock" it at midnight or midday the day of release.

"So what is the deal? I've never really bothered with Steam the PC games that I do get I buy physical copies of. Do they let you download it early then wait to email you the key at midnight?

If the latter that sucks big time. I imagine their servers will take a pretty decent knock."

There's no keys, or rather, they manage all the key stuff on the back end and out of the user's face (for the most part).

Normally, for big releases, they'll let you "pre-load" the game, I.E. download the bulk of the game but none of the executables and other stuff encrypted so you can't play the game and then once the release date hits, allow people to get the final bits to make the game work so they can just hop right in.

They *haven't* done this with BC2 and considering how big the game will be (it's topped the Steam top sellers chart for awhile now), the servers will be completely stomped.

Teknopathetic said:
It's definitely sounding like the Steam release is supposed to hit at midnight.
I want to believe this but in my imagination I've always pictured Valve being the ones to pull the trigger on a release rather than the dev. Maybe there are still people working at 9 PST.

Variable

They usually let you pre load before the game comes out, so when the clock strikes 0 you can start playing.

On a side note, since they decided to not release a demo for the PC, I have no idea if I should get the PC or 360 version. I have 3 gig Core 2 Duo, 4 gigs of memory and a 8800GT card.

"I want to believe this but in my imagination I've always pictured Valve being the ones to pull the trigger on a release rather than the dev. Maybe there are still people working at 9 PST."

Valve are the ones who pull the trigger, but I don't think a company employee would say something like "We're trying to get it released in 2.5 hours" if they weren't planning to have it released in 2.5 hours.

abuC

Sinatar said:
Shit. You know how many bullets I wasted during the beta trying to peg people through the gaps in the machine guns. God damn it.

PC beta? You could do it in the PS3 Beta, but they added that little piece of bulletproof glass :(

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Variable said:
They usually let you pre load before the game comes out, so when the clock strikes 0 you can start playing.

On a side note, since they decided to not release a demo for the PC, I have no idea if I should get the PC or 360 version. I have 3 gig Core 2 Duo, 4 gigs of memory and a 8800GT card.

Your PC should handle that fine, depending on the resolution.

Aesius said:
Damn you!!

I put in my order late today, like 2 p.m. CST. Praying it ships soon. I NEED this game tomorrow.

Don't worry guys. I panicked when I ordered MW2 from amazon with release day shipping and the sucker didn't ship until 3am(day of release) and from a state 10 hours away.

I got home from school at 3pm and it was sitting on the porch.

Steam doesn't unlock at midnight. That's just an unfortunate fact that those of us who use (and love) the service have just come to accept.

This isn't on Valve. The failure to provide a pre-load for Steam, the planet's largest PC gaming download fucking service, is a fuck up by DICE and a money grab by EA.

The Steam users are left to fight through the slog of gamers tomorrow at lunchtime all trying to not only download it, but also to activate it.

All the while, those who purchased from EA's own online shop will have not only had their pre-load for over 24 hours, they will have also been playing the fucking game a day early.

Fuck you very much, EA.

BigKaboom2 said:
I want to believe this but in my imagination I've always pictured Valve being the ones to pull the trigger on a release rather than the dev. Maybe there are still people working at 9 PST.

According to the "Coming Soon" tab, Supreme Commander 2 is releasing at midnight PST, so they'll have some people already at the office to watch over that release.

Tokubetsu

pixel monkey said:
Steam doesn't unlock at midnight. That's just an unfortunate fact that those of us who use (and love) the service have just come to accept.

This isn't on Valve. The failure to provide a pre-load for Steam, the planet's largest PC gaming download fucking service, is a fuck up by DICE and a money grab by EA.

The Steam users are left to fight through the slog of gamers tomorrow at lunchtime all trying to not only download it, but also to activate it.

All the while, those who purchased from EA's own online shop will have not only had their pre-load for over 24 hours, they will have also been playing the fucking game a day early.

Fuck you very much, EA.

Pretty sure they unlocked BioShock 2 at midnight ish (I believe it was really around 1:30-2:30 am)

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Teknopathetic said:
They *haven't* done this with BC2 and considering how big the game will be (it's topped the Steam top sellers chart for awhile now), the servers will be completely stomped.
Sorry PC brethren. I understand the rage now. Its hard to fathom why they wouldn't let you preload. Hope steam unleashes some bandwidth for you guys.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Tokubetsu said:
Pretty sure they unlocked BioShock 2 at midnight ish (I believe it was really around 1:30-2:30 am)

So this isn't a first time deal?

Not trying to rub salt in raging wounds, just asking.

Servers are bit light now, but there's enough 30 man ones to have a decent match going. Multi is intense :D The horns are annoying, though.

And they didn't "fix" the hit damage, I still feel like I'm shooting into sponges.

RbBrdMan said:

Try more like open it up for download at 3 in the afternoon on the release date.

That's why we like preloads. It makes the release date hurt a lot less. As it stands now, I probably won't get to play this tomorrow.

Rhino said:
I retract my previous FFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU

and instead celebrate with

Don't rejoice just yet. Wait and see what happens.

Peronthious said:
Servers are bit light now, but there's enough 30 man ones to have a decent match going. Multi is intense The horns are annoying, though.

And they didn't "fix" the hit damage, I still feel like I'm shooting into sponges.

FUCK.

Peronthious said:
Servers are bit light now, but there's enough 30 man ones to have a decent match going. Multi is intense :D The horns are annoying, though.

I thought the hit detection was fine after the last patch. I wonder if they implemented the higher damage model.

Wthermans

Banned
Caspel said:
Hey, to those who asked questions during last Friday's conference call I had with DICE, here are some of your answers"

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 – “We take our PC Games Seriously”

More can be found at the full article such as PSN vs. XBLA competitions, World War II map packs, coop DLC, and more.
I take it Bach hasn't even played his own game otherwise he would realize that the controls for the UAV/Heli are inverted from one another. This makes me a sad panda. :(

Thanks for the interview anyways....I'm just sick of devs giving PR fed answers when they have no idea how the game actually plays. :(

Salacious Crumb

Peronthious said:

Is that with the day 1 patch?

Wthermans said:
I take it Bach hasn't even played his own game otherwise he would realize that the controls for the UAV/Heli are inverted from one another. This makes me a sad panda. :(

Thanks for the interview anyways....I'm just sick of devs giving PR fed answers when they have no idea how the game actually plays. :(

Yeah, that was a ridiculous answer. It's like he was asked if the UAV and chopper will have different controls and he said, "Yes, the UAV controls differently from the chopper, completely inversely in fact. We hope you like it. So, the answer to your question is...giraffe."

LowParry

Fuuuuuck. Pre-load. C'mooooooooon! I have the day off tomorrow and I'll be damned spending my morning pre-loading! Raaage mutha fuckin' raaaage! :lol

Mr. Snrub said:
I thought the hit detection was fine after the last patch. I wonder if they implemented the higher damage model.
Although even then they were still bullet sponges compared to the console version.

Come on bitches, I need every single person who's getting this for 360 to add me on Live. Posted my tag like 3 times and only got 2 people. I'm not that unlikable. None of my friends are buying it, and if they are, they're going PC.

Need squads.

Spl1nter

Teknopathetic said:
"So when the fuck is that? The 10 GMT tomorrow or what?"

The Steam store says 10 Pacific/12 Central/1 Eastern.

Awesome finish class at 1 lol. Negative is midterm wednesday. Im sure I will fit in a few hours of study in between bc2.

Wthermans

Banned
Mr. Snrub said:
Seriously. If nothing by noon tomorrow, I'm cancelling and using EA's.

I so wanted this to work out, Steam. Your new UI would have been wonderful with an BC2 link in it.
If you're going to wait until noon tomorrow, just wait for the Steam download to come online. It takes quite a while for Valve to respond to refunds and by the time you get your money back the game will be live.

Wthermans

Banned
ergo said:
Sorry for the fairly dumb question, but what is the point of that plane mowing down the road after the 2nd base is taken in the demo? Does someone control that or ?
It's for aesthetics. I've stood in the direct path of the A-10 as it's strafing and never taken any damage.

naib

Quick PC question(I've been AFK)

The stand-alone beta is busted for me, am I wasting my time downloading the Steam Beta?

tl;dr
Can I get another taste on PC tonight? I already pulled the trigger for Steam version.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Devil Theory said:
Come on bitches, I need every single person who's getting this for 360 to add me on Live. Posted my tag like 3 times and only got 2 people. I'm not that unlikable. None of my friends are buying it, and if they are, they're going PC.

Need squads.

I added you. I added most people in that matchup thread.

I am going to have to run for the border on the way home from GS.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
naib said:

The stand-alone beta is busted for me, am I wasting my time downloading the Steam Beta?

tl;dr
Can I get another taste on PC tonight? I already pulled the trigger for Steam version.

The beta has been over for days.

tjohn86

naib said:

tl;dr

betas been dead for a while dude

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom