• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 |OT| See, Spot, Run

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volcynika

Guess I'll have to remote log in from work to start the download from Steam (won't even be home until around 6PM CST, so no big deal).

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Zyzyxxz said:
cant wait for my Amazon copy tomorrow!

Mine is on the truck!

Out for delivery - Mar 02, 2010 7:38:00 AM

Too bad I have to work until 5pm. The worse thing is I work from home so playing the game will be about 10 steps away for me. Today I test my work ethic. :lol

U2NUMB

The glorious day is upon us.. for me it is double sweet with The Show also hitting. I am giddy at the idea of being able to play Bad Company 2 tonight.

I also have an extra Gamestop code for the PSN... if anyone is interested PM me and I will shoot it your way. [TAKEN]

Got to play 360 last night for about 4 or 5 hours. It was tough finding rooms for a while, played mostly rush with a few squad deathmatch rounds and a single conquest game.

IF you played the demo, you pretty much know what to expect from Rush. I'll just say that each map is awesome and each one has a unique feel and flow. I especially liked attacking on Valparaiso, the last 2 bases are a bloody bloody battle. Also, a good blackhawk pilot could potentially turn the tide of that map. Best battlefield moment was C4'ing a full Bradley for 5 kills.

Squad deathmatch is suprisingly fun and a huge change of pace from rush/conquest. It's very slow compared to the other modes (although, the room wasn't full). I played on Africa Harbor - for anyone who's familiar the Squad map is basically the entire streets area, which is the second base when playing rush mode. The map is slightly bigger than a single base area in rush mode, but your team's spawn is much closer to the action (you can choose to spawn in a random location or on any squadmate). This gives your flexibility for flanking and finding those lines of site among the buildings. You can really see how well BF team mechanics come together for teamwork in this mode. I could go through a million scenarios of how our team worked together to flush out and kill the enemy, support each other w/revives and ammo, keep the 1 vehicle alive when we got it, etc. I can't wait to get back into this mode tonight.

My only real gripe w/BFBC2 is that the powerful unlocks seem to come late in the rank tree, there could be a bit more of a level playing field between ranks. Minor gripe.

DietRob

Definity said:
Are the Dr. Pepper codes working or no?

I believe that is a NO for now.

U2NUMB said:
I also have an extra Gamestop code for the PSN... if anyone is interested PM me and I will shoot it your way. [TAKEN]

b10.... :mad:

suplex

I played a bit of multi on the PC version last night, on high with HBAO on this game looks gorgeous. Unfortunately my frame rates weren't so good and I did terribly, wound up with something like a .5 k/d ratio. I'll blame it on the low frame rate and getting used to new maps. :lol It might be time to order that 5850...

A couple quick things I noticed was that your friends list got transferred over from the beta, you can now sort in the server browser, and the scoreboard now also shows your k/d ratio as well as your score.

Daigoro

I NEED SCISSORS said:
I think i'm going to double dip on this - PC for the giraphics and online, PS3 for the friends and GAF clansmanship.

i was thinking the same thing.

i think im about to go impulse buy the 360 version this morning...

cameltoe

I NEED SCISSORS said:
I think i'm going to double dip on this - PC for the giraphics and online, PS3 for the friends and GAF clansmanship.

Yea, bought PC version through steam, trading MW2 (PS3 version) and a few games for the 360 version today!

DietRob

U2NUMB said:
Check your PMs.. you were the winner

Thank you kind sir.

larrydavidfalling.gif

I never win anything. I feel so special!

I NEED SCISSORS said:
I'm doing the exact same. I'm just gonna wait a month or so for the first little price drop or sale. I'll probably end up using my 20 amazon giftcard for it also.

Kibbles

9.5 from Team Xbox

1267501222.jpg

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
What's going on with that tank?

Jas

I NEED SCISSORS said:

Waiting for Steam to unlock the PC version and my PS3 copy is currently on an UPS truck. Got both for the same reasons you mentioned.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Called my local shop and bought it, it'll arrive either on Thursday or Friday... oh my god :( Help me out with this hype GAF! Link me something that will calm the hype down! SOMETHING!
Lunchbox said:
the screenshots of the jungle look awesome, and the Ice looks terrible....

should've made the whole game in a jungle :/
Really? The snow environments in the demo looked incredible so I'm pretty sure they got every setting right. The jungle and the sand environments are amazing too.

RotBot

suplex said:
I played a bit of multi on the PC version last night, on high with HBAO on this game looks gorgeous. Unfortunately my frame rates weren't so good and I did terribly, wound up with something like a .5 k/d ratio. I'll blame it on the low frame rate and getting used to new maps. :lol It might be time to order that 5850...

A couple quick things I noticed was that your friends list got transferred over from the beta, you can now sort in the server browser, and the scoreboard now also shows your k/d ratio as well as your score.
Does it show your ping?

zero margin said:
"If you've been looking for a shooter good enough to supplant Modern Warfare 2 as your multiplayer game of choice on Xbox Live, you've found it."
I think anyone that has been playing the demo or beta has known this.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-faceoff-battlefield-bad-company-2

A "screen door" dither effect on some foliage, most obvious in the snow levels, looks a touch rough on Xbox 360 while it is not an issue at all on PlayStation 3. While it's not exactly a huge problem, it's undoubtedly the case that the PS3 version looks better without it, using a more conventional alpha-test technique for its transparency. While it's most obvious in the snowy levels, a similar bandwidth-saving measure is also found elsewhere.

The Xbox 360's individual charms are there, but they are much less noticeable compared to the hit to image quality found in the snow levels. Shadow filtering appears to be a touch more refined on 360, while the implementation of water on Xbox 360 also looks to be a cut above the PS3 version of the game, which looks as though it's using a lower-precision effect.

Results reveal that in the heat of gameplay, there is very little to tell the two version of Bad Company 2 apart. Both are capped at 30FPS and both will drop v-sync before losing frames, the idea being to maintain controller response and keep overall frame-rate as high as possible. In the clips above, lowest frame-rate was 25FPS on PS3, and 26FPS on 360: the difference essentially unnoticeable when averages are at 29.4FPS and 29.8FPS respectively.

Texture/aliasing comparison (identical)

PS3_texture2.jpg.jpg

360_texture2.jpg.jpg

DF comment:
it's clear that the issues with environment maps and texture quality seen in the PS3 versions of Battlefield 1943 and the original Bad Company appear to have been resolved.

Water comparison (bit better on 360)
PS3_water2.jpg.jpg

360_water2.jpg.jpg

Jrmint

Forgive my ignorance since I haven't played much of battlefield games in the past, but:

Do the 4 individual classes level up independently of each other? Like you unlock different guns when you have accrued so much in Assault and Medic? Or does level 5 give x and y for Assault and Medic (as an example)?

Thanks ahead of time.

Kibbles said:
Yoshichan said:
What's going on with that tank?
It's been destroyed. If the "being on fire" and being tracked weren't enough of a giveaway. Destroyed vehicles stick around for quite a while in this game.

Skel said:
Forgive my ignorance since I haven't played much of battlefield games in the past, but:

Do the 4 individual classes level up independently of each other? Like you unlock different guns when you have accrued so much in Assault and Medic? Or does level 5 give x and y for Assault and Medic (as an example)?

Thanks ahead of time.
There are unlocks you earn for every class by levelling up in general and some class-specific unlocks you earn by doing well with that particular class.

j-wood said:
Question. How is this compared to MW2? I've really been thinking about trading that game in lately
It is much better. That is, if you think a modern war soldier game ought to involve actual drivable, pilotable cars, boats, tanks, copters, etc. and a battlefield larger than a quarter square kilometer or so. Do you?

Also watch this video if you are a MW2 player

LowParry

j-wood said:
Question. How is this compared to MW2? I've really been thinking about trading that game in lately

It's probably a million times better. Don't know about SP but MP is top notch and leagues ahead what MW2 is doing.

DietRob

Menelaus

Banned
JambiBum said:
So does anyone know how to redeem the gamestop shit? No idea what to do in order to get the AK and squad rush mode.
Go into the in-game store, hit the "enter code" button, enter code, caps and dashes included.

CcrooK said:
It's probably a million times better. Don't know about SP but MP is top notch and leagues ahead what MW2 is doing.
Well, for certain people. There are certainly people that won't mesh well with BC2 and would rather stick with MW2.

Oh wells.

Yoshichan

Both are capped at 30FPS and both will drop v-sync before losing frames, the idea being to maintain controller response and keep overall frame-rate as high as possible. In the clips above, lowest frame-rate was 25FPS on PS3, and 26FPS on 360: the difference essentially unnoticeable when averages are at 29.4FPS and 29.8FPS respectively.

My God, DICE <3

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
RbBrdMan said:
The comparison video between PS3 and PC is strikingly similar. I didn't read through the whole article yet (I will later) but it seems the 360 and PS3 versions are on pretty much equal ground.

Yes, but

Over and above resolution and frame-rate boosts if you have the right hardware, the game supports DX9, DX10 and indeed the new DX11. What this translates to in layman's terms is pretty simple: anti-aliasing, and horizon-based ambient occlusion are omitted for DX9/Windows XP users, while those using Windows 7 and a new DirectX 11 GPU get a useful performance boost and superior soft-shadows.

See, I wasn't going to get this. BC1 didn't hook me, and I didnt care for the BC2 demo. BUT I loved Battlefield Modern Combat 2 and the XBLA title.

MW2, which I will keep because my friends treat that game like a incredibly loyal husband who would never even entertain the thought of cheating on his wife, has me completely burnt out. Some nights Im tolerant of my own personal complaint list that I have about MW2, but most nights, I get about 3-5 games in and turn it off. I hate ditching my friends, but if Im not having fun that night, then I simply turn it off. I personally prefer Mw1 to MW2.

But I still have an furious itch for this type of game, and that TeamXbox review says this game will most definitely scratch it. I only played maybe 25-30 minutes of the demo. Is this the type of game that one may need to spend a little more time with it to adjust to the learning curve and wash the taste of MW2 out of their mouth?

j-wood said:

I prefer this style over MW2 as you feel like you're doing more than just lone wolfing and looking for that next guy to shoot, depending on the mode, here you feel like you're part of something bigger. Plus no killstreak BS to deal with. :lol

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
RbBrdMan said:
The comparison video between PS3 and PC is strikingly similar. I didn't read through the whole article yet (I will later) but it seems the 360 and PS3 versions are on pretty much equal ground.

"PC and 360 have much in common, so here we're putting the PS3 version up against the computer rendition, which is running on a Core i7/GTX295 combo in DX10. Use the full-screen button for HD resolution, or click the EGTV link for a larger window.View this video on EGTV"

Seems the 360 is even closer, but seriously the game on both PS3 and 360 look identical from what I saw, which is amazing. Dice owned balls with the way they dev'd this game.

DietRob

TTP said:
Over and above resolution and frame-rate boosts if you have the right hardware, the game supports DX9, DX10 and indeed the new DX11. What this translates to in layman's terms is pretty simple: anti-aliasing, and horizon-based ambient occlusion are omitted for DX9/Windows XP users, while those using Windows 7 and a new DirectX 11 GPU get a useful performance boost and superior soft-shadows.

Me, my windows 7 pc, and 5850 are all frothing at the mouth. The PC version will be mine. After some serious playtime on the PS3SUS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom