• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 |OT| See, Spot, Run

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbmonk

ryanyhc said:
anyone setting up a GAF dedicated server for pc?? :D

I am renting a Conquest server out of Atlanta. All fellow gaffers are welcome.

I will publish the IP in this thread and the PC meetup thread once I can properly admin it. Right now I can't connect to the server using the admin tool (BC2CC).

Hopefully soon though :)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Slayer-33 said:
"PC and 360 have much in common, so here we're putting the PS3 version up against the computer rendition, which is running on a Core i7/GTX295 combo in DX10. Use the full-screen button for HD resolution, or click the EGTV link for a larger window.View this video on EGTV"

Seems the 360 is even closer, but seriously the game on both PS3 and 360 look identical from what I saw, which is amazing. Dice owned balls with the way they dev'd this game.

The lack of AA on consoles still disappoints me to no end.

Pete Rock

j-wood said:
Question. How is this compared to MW2? I've really been thinking about trading that game in lately
MW2 is a bit of a joke comparatively, it's like playing a toy version of Battlefield, designed for people who cannot or have no desire to conceptualize greater strategies than securing vectors around static geometry with automatic weapons while waiting for magical automatic killstreaks to become available. There is no wall separating you and the vehicles in this game, they don't spawn in the skybox. You have to pilot them, and if you suck at that there's a good chance you'll crash the chopper and it will explode.

I had no problems maintaining a 2+ K/D ratio in MW2 and (ab)using killstreaks, but even my buddy who would constantly pull back-to-back nukes agrees. Even if we don't get to the Apache and destroy everyone with it at base 3+ in Rush, there are a million more things that can happen between A & B that make any given game of Battlefield an objectively more interesting experience.

It would be like comparing Counter-Strike to Battlefield 2 all those years back. CS will always have tighter controls, hit boxes and registration and therefore always feel like a more "raw" shooter. It's also played and rendered at a fraction of the scale, has no vehicle support, static maps, one game mode, and it's basically all about K/D whoring. If that's the style of game you prefer, no feature set will convince you otherwise.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Haven't been following this much but am going to grab it later. Quick question - is there any local 2 player options? Me and my buddy like to play on the same TV rather then over PSN since we live in the same building.

There is no point whatsoever comparing a console game to a PC game. The resolution, framerate and anisotropic filtering will always be better on PC. That is not elitism - that is just pure fact. A 240p flash video is not going to change this. Anyway, good for console owners that both versions are on equal ground.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
TTP said:
The lack of AA on consoles still disappoints me to no end.

I'm glad the game is running that well on consoles and it's not a botched mess at least. I might have to pick up the console version instead of PC unfortunately :( we'll see though..

Maybe if I run at a lower resolution (720p) with my E4300, 1GB 4670 and 2 gigs of DDR2 I will get decent results :lol I don't know wtf to do.

TheApatheticOne said:
See, I wasn't going to get this. BC1 didn't hook me, and I didnt care for the BC2 demo. BUT I loved Battlefield Modern Combat 2 and the XBLA title.
This is me. Pick my copy up at lunch though.
I just wish this game had better feedback when your bullets connect with an enemy. It just doesn't feel right to me.

sflufan

Banned
mbmonk said:
I am renting a Conquest server out of Atlanta. All fellow gaffers are welcome.

I will publish the IP in this thread and the PC meetup thread once I can properly admin it. Right now I can't connect to the server using the admin tool (BC2CC).

Hopefully soon though :)

Just as an FYI, I read yesterday that on the admin tool forum the BC2CC tool won't work on release day, but that they'll work with the "Day One Patch".

Slayer-33 said:
I'm glad the game is running that well on consoles and it's not a botched mess at least. I might have to pick up the console version instead of PC unfortunately :( we'll see though..

Maybe if I run at a lower resolution (720p) with my E4300, 1GB 4670 and 2 gigs of DDR2 I will get decent results :lol I don't know wtf to do.
Were you in the beta and did you try forcing DX9 via the settings.ini? Can't get decent framerates in DX10 with my 8800 GT so that's what I had to do.

big_z

j-wood said:
Question. How is this compared to MW2? I've really been thinking about trading that game in lately

im also trading in my copy of MW2 for this since it's worth $40 at bestbuy. dont worry it's worth it, battlefield is a much better multiplayer experience.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
BigKaboom2 said:
Were you in the beta and did you try forcing DX9 via the settings.ini? Can't get decent framerates in DX10 with my 8800 GT so that's what I had to do.

Oh not at all bro, I played the demo on my 360 and enjoyed it but I didn't get into the PC beta I wish there was a demo for me to test out my PC performance on it.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Im off today, bout to go pick this up along with The Show 10...this day will be full of win. :D

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Pete Rock said:
MW2 is a bit of a joke comparatively, it's like playing a toy version of Battlefield, designed for people who cannot or have no desire to conceptualize greater strategies than securing vectors around static geometry with automatic weapons while waiting for magical automatic killstreaks to become available. There is no wall separating you and the vehicles in this game, they don't spawn in the skybox. You have to pilot them, and if you suck at that there's a good chance you'll crash the chopper and it will explode.

I had no problems maintaining a 2+ K/D ratio in MW2 and (ab)using killstreaks, but even my buddy who would constantly pull back-to-back nukes agrees. Even if we don't get to the Apache and destroy everyone with it at base 3+ in Rush, there are a million more things that can happen between A & B that make any given game of Battlefield an objectively more interesting experience.

It would be like comparing Counter-Strike to Battlefield 2 all those years back. CS will always have tighter controls, hit boxes and registration and therefore always feel like a more "raw" shooter. It's also played and rendered at a fraction of the scale, has no vehicle support, static maps, one game mode, and it's basically all about K/D whoring. If that's the style of game you prefer, no feature set will convince you otherwise.

Well said. Anyone questioning the differences should refer to this post.

Mind

Neo Member
I actually don't care about Swedish reviews this time around. It's the same as with the Dutch - Killzone 2 reviews. Changes are big that they know these guys at DICE in person and sometimes drink some beers.

CitizenCope said:
I just wish this game had better feedback when your bullets connect with an enemy. It just doesn't feel right to me.

This.

I held off completely in my mind about getting this game, but I will be picking up this up for XBOX 360 after work. Please add me fellow BC2 360-GAFers, XBL name is my GAF name.

AndyD

aka andydumi
So I was worried that my amazon copy had not shipped last night, well this morning I get the out for delivery message. Because it shipped from my city. All it had to do was get on a truck and come to the house. :lol :lol

I like that BFBC2 10 tips video for MW2 players. Very good.

TheApatheticOne said:
This.

I held off completely in my mind about getting this game, but I will be picking up this up for XBOX 360 after work. Please add me fellow BC2 360-GAFers, XBL name is my GAF name.

Let's "like" this game together.:lol
I usually play with a crew outside of GAF. 360 Gamertag:Curley

CitizenCope said:
Let's "like" this game together.:lol
I usually play with a crew outside of GAF. 360 Gamertag:Curley

Sounds good, I'll add you once I get home from stupid work. Here's to the both us not feeling buyer's remorse! :lol

AndyD, where is that video you speak of? Sounds like something I need.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
From what I've played of the campaign it's pretty shit, it's pretty much a less serious CoD with characters. Loads of cut-scenes also, they aren't long but it's basically fight a little then a cut-scene over and over. The game funnels you down a path and you have very little freedom (in the missions I've played at least) and if you try and go somewhere the game doesn't want you to you get the old enemy mortar message, also managed to get my tank destroyed by dropping it about 2 feet.

Of course SP isn't the reason anyone should be playing this game.

Knifing people is still as random as it was in the beta, managed to knife someone in the face and it didn't register and then I got shot.

Ingame name is Ikuu if anyone from Europe wants to play, and anyone in the UK that can't be bothered waiting for the game to be released at retail. Order it from the EA Store and use the voucher: VoucherCodes.com25% and sign up at CokeZone and buy a 500ml bottle, add the points and do the server and profile stuff and get the £5(gets you £10 off) EA Store voucher and use that. You'll get the game for £20 and you can install the game and choose online authentication and play just now.

kaskade

I say this all the time but if anyone ever orders release date delivery from Amazon, it will get there. It usually will not say it ships until the day before. I've ordered quite a few games from them and never had one not get to my house the day it comes out. That being said, I can't wait for work to be over.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
CcrooK said:
Sounds like lag.
I had around 30ms ping to the server and it happens all the time, knifing has been a bit of a mess in the previous Battlefields as well.

Ikuu said:
Knifing people is still as random as it was in the beta, managed to knife someone in the face and it didn't register and then I got shot.

NOOO!!! I was hoping they would have fixed that... :(
I used to hate it when at times you knife a person 4 times and he just turns around and shoots you. Ofcourse, you wish you could shoot back but the character is already digging his knife in the air and the animation can't be abruptly ended.

LowParry

Ikuu said:
I had around 30ms ping to the server and it happens all the time, knifing has been a bit of a mess in the previous Battlefields as well.

Hrm. Odd. Well, if yer a medic "de-revive" them or if you're an engineer, "de-fix" them. :D

FunBoy

Roll on friday I really want to play now seeing all these reviews come in. Ive booked the day off so I can get into it and proceeed to rub it in my work collegues faces :D.

AndyD

aka andydumi
TheApatheticOne said:
Sounds good, I'll add you once I get home from stupid work. Here's to the both us not feeling buyer's remorse! :lol

AndyD, where is that video you speak of? Sounds like something I need.

About 2 pages back. I use autopager extension so I only see one giant page of posts.

Edit: See above. Its right there.

bfbc2game2010-03-0112-hsug.jpg

:lol :lol :lol

Awesome.

Im living vicariously through GAF for the next 8 hours until I get off work.

I have like an hour of code inputs and downloading when I get home (GS pre-order+Dr Pepper add-ons)

Havent heard anything of the day 1 DLC, is it up?

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I played for a couple of hours this morning (from 1 to 3AM). Though I was dead tired at the end of it, I have a few things I noted.

• Spamming Back/Select in the hopes of spotting without "seeing" the enemy doesn't work. You have to actually have your crosshairs on an enemy and see them for it to register. Spotting is still extremely valuable, but not as easy as before
  • The game seems to move a bit faster. It may be just me being unfamiliar with the maps so it seems new/faster, but it seems bit faster.
  • The maps are gorgeous, the destructable enviroments play more of a role than in the demo.

FYI - Everyone put GAF as the clan name so we can identify each other.
And so we can collect dogtags

dskillzhtown said:
I played for a couple of hours this morning (from 1 to 3AM). Though I was dead tired at the end of it, I have a few things I noted.

• Spamming Back/Select in the hopes of spotting without "seeing" the enemy doesn't work. You have to actually have your crosshairs on an enemy and see them for it to register. Spotting is still extremely valuable, but not as easy as before
  • The game seems to move a bit faster. It may be just me being unfamiliar with the maps so it seems new/faster, but it seems bit faster.
  • The maps are gorgeous, the destructable enviroments play more of a role than in the demo.

I don't think you have to be as accurate with the spotting, I think they increased the cooldown. Here's what I've noticed (this could be wrong) - you can spot two or three guys at a time. If you kill one of the guys you spotted while he's still glowing on the map, your timer resets. If he gets killed by a team mate or lives through being spotted, you have to wait for the cooldown. The cooldown is significantly higher than it was in the demo.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
dskillzhtown said:

I'm glad it takes more effort to spot. It makes the recon unlock all the better. Has anyone unlocked that perk for recon yet? For those with the game what is the point value for that unlock?

Vard

Darkness said:
Haven't been following this much but am going to grab it later. Quick question - is there any local 2 player options? Me and my buddy like to play on the same TV rather then over PSN since we live in the same building.
Unfortunately there is no local multiplayer options. Split-screen would be awesome. My friends and I used to just play 1943 and the beta by taking turns each time we died. Not as good, but it's still fun to watch someone else play this game.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Tinypic is alive!! YAY! We have the banner now!

Have to wait til next week.

Its possible to have private matches without full teams?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom