• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 |OT| See, Spot, Run

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I want to know is whether the campaign enemy AI has improved at all.

In BC1 they could nail you from a million miles away, through dense/concealing foliage, even if you only had one pixel exposed. They were accurate as hell, relatively stupid when it came to pathfinding, and instantly knew where you were once you started firing.

Has there been any improvement here? I might be one of the rare ones here, but I actually enjoyed the campaign in BC1, even if the AI let it down.

All of these reviews out there and none of them seems to get into specifics, except for how it relates to Modern Warfare 2. This is starting to bug the shit out of me.

And whats with Game Trailers getting on BC2's case for only having 4 multiplayer modes? Bad Company 1 only had ONE multiplayer mode at release.

moojito

Has anyone come across any sites that give an overview of the demo map with what the different roles can be doing on there? Something like "as recon, move to points A, B or C and take out someone on the anti tank gun, also spot people from here, then move over to point D"

Or "as an engineer, you can run from point A to the building at B and get the drop on an enemy tank most of the time"

That kind of thing. I can't view videos at work, and a lot of them seem to be "MW2 SUCKS LOL" in terms of advice.

Jrmint

Wow this game is fun. I tried the demo and really didn't like it, but I realize I didn't understand it.

I started out with the medic class to heal people, but I never even saw any dead bodies in about an hour or 2 of playtime so far, so I switched over to the Engineer class. My god that class is fun. It appears you have unlimited sprint though I am not sure on that. Quick question, is the silencer aesthetic only or does it serve some purpose? I have not been able to figure that out. But the Engineer guns are plenty powerful at the range you need them.

I've just been flanking like crazy, especially on that snowy map with the houses.

Second super fun thing: UAV. That thing is an absolute beast, I love flying over to the other base on Conquest and lighting people up with its missles :D . I thought I heard it had another weapon too with the RB? But it doesn't seem to work.

It definitely takes a long time to level though, much longer than MW2.

All in all an absolute blast.

Arcipello

NullPointer said:
All I want to know is whether the campaign enemy AI has improved at all.

In BC1 they could nail you from a million miles away, through dense/concealing foliage, even if you only had one pixel exposed. They were accurate as hell, relatively stupid when it came to pathfinding, and instantly knew where you were once you started firing.

Has there been any improvement here? I might be one of the rare ones here, but I actually enjoyed the campaign in BC1, even if the AI let to down.

All of these reviews out there and none of them seems to get into specifics, except for how it relates to Modern Warfare 2. This is starting to bug the shit out of me.

And whats with Game Trailers getting on BC2's case for only having 4 multiplayer modes? Bad Company 1 only had ONE multiplayer mode at release.

AI is WAY more forgiving and doesnt cheat as much, feels more more natural. The sqaud AI is what i feel is lacking though...honestly its always me having to clean up the bad guys.

Olden44

Neo Member
Anyone know where I can access the online stats? The box says to check stats at battlefield .com however I dont see anything that relates to in game stats. Maybe I'm missing something..

CcrooK said:
So what class is everyone rolling with? I'll probably be switching between Engineer and Recon. Blowing up tanks and sniping faces off is too good to pass up on. Plus the backstab engineer tool of death is better than a knife stab.

I'll be switching between medic and assault classes.

Macmanus

RbBrdMan said:
FFS man. Nearly every post I've read from you is laced with venom. Won't you chill out a little ehh?

FFS = For fuck's sake?

And is SMH equivalent to So Much Hate?

I don't get you rascally kids and your internet acronyms.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Violater said:
Will the OP compile Gaf and Live/Psn usernames?
I don't think he's doing that. Think I might just create a new thread later this afternoon for that very purpose.

Skel said:
Wow this game is fun. I tried the demo and really didn't like it, but I realize I didn't understand it.

I started out with the medic class to heal people, but I never even saw any dead bodies in about an hour or 2 of playtime so far, so I switched over to the Engineer class. My god that class is fun. It appears you have unlimited sprint though I am not sure on that. Quick question, is the silencer aesthetic only or does it serve some purpose? I have not been able to figure that out. But the Engineer guns are plenty powerful at the range you need them.

I've just been flanking like crazy, especially on that snowy map with the houses.

Second super fun thing: UAV. That thing is an absolute beast, I love flying over to the other base on Conquest and lighting people up with its missles :D . I thought I heard it had another weapon too with the RB? But it doesn't seem to work.

It definitely takes a long time to level though, much longer than MW2.

All in all an absolute blast.
Yeah, there is unlimited sprint, learn to spawn at your squad mates, don't know if it's only aesthetic. And only with a spec you can use the secondary weapon on vehicles.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Plus the backstab engineer tool of death is better than a knife stab.
What's this?

Macmanus said:
FFS = For fuck's sake?

FFS is correct, SMH = shaking my head. I used to think it was So Much Hate also; either one usually applies.

Akim said:
So wtf. I'm inviting two of my bros on xbox live. EVERY time we aren't on the same team. Anyone know why?
Oh great! Here we go. BF1943 was a bitch.
Can't wait to try and hook up with a party in this game. <---Sarcasm

U2NUMB

Arcipello said:
AI is WAY more forgiving and doesnt cheat as much, feels more more natural. The sqaud AI is what i feel is lacking though...honestly its always me having to clean up the bad guys.

The only thing I am going to really miss with this package is online co-op. I just think a game like this which on the surface is built for 4 player co op would really shine.

moojito

BigKaboom2 said:
FFS is correct, SMH = shaking my head. I used to think it was So Much Hate also; either one usually applies.

Wow, this thread keeps delivering. Took me ages to figure out lttp, as well :<

Jrmint

Prophet Steve said:
Yeah, there is unlimited sprint, learn to spawn at your squad mates, don't know if it's only aesthetic. And only with a spec you can use the secondary weapon on vehicles.
What do you mean with a spec? Sorry I am still just figuring this all out, how do I customize that?

Akim said:
So wtf. I'm inviting two of my bros on xbox live. EVERY time we aren't on the same team. Anyone know why?

BC2 doesn't force players in the same team, especially when the teams aren't balance (which is FUCKING AWESOME!). Try creating a squad and then create a new game or join an existing one.

Again, games are forced to be balanced if a new player joins midway through the game.

Skel said:
What do you mean with a spec? Sorry I am still just figuring this all out, how do I customize that?

A spec is like a perk/ability that you can unlock and attach to your class. Not everyone can use secondary fire for Tanks or other vehicles and they can only do if they have a certain rank/kills/objective-completions.

0.jpg

Note: Specialization tab.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvcq78Eo5RU#t=3m17s

and here:

b4vsav.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3jzyl-Ehuw#t=0m35s

Arcipello said:
AI is WAY more forgiving and doesnt cheat as much, feels more more natural.
Thanks for the good word Arc, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. :)

Arcipello said:
The squad AI is what i feel is lacking though...honestly its always me having to clean up the bad guys.
Surprisingly I never held out any hope that they'd fix this, since if they made them too useful they'd end up taking out all the enemies. But if they could pin down the enemies at least and give you more room to maneuver that'd be one hell of an improvement.

In BC1 I usually just used the allies to spot targets I couldn't see directly, and every once in a million years they might actually surprise you and take out a vehicle or something.

reetva

Banned
moojito said:
"What does Link to the Past have to do with Shadow of the Colossus? This is one crazy forum."

I'm about to pick this up. I have not been so excited in months. :lol

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Yoshichan said:
What's this?

The engineer repair tool does bad things to human flesh.

Also, do you unlock anything by completing the single player campaign? Wondering if I should blast through that first before I wallow in my multiplayer addiction.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Macmanus said:
FFS = For fuck's sake?

LOL.. Yea I'm 30 though. I've just been reading GAF far to long it seems.

Jrmint

One thing I suspect is if you don't get into this early you are gonna be in for a shit show, more so than a normal shooter.

It seems like this game more than others really gives powerful rewards at upper levels.

Just an initial gut feeling.

Skel said:
Before you spawn, you can customize your kit. The three (probably empty) bars to the right are specializations (specs). These are comparable with perks from Call of Duty. There is one which adds a secondary fire mode to all vehicles, with that you can fire a machine gun with the UAV.

Mully

Been playing since 9 this morning. It is too good. I think I'll waste enough of my life that you'll see me on Intervention.

My first game was Arica Harbor as an Attacker. We won the round and I had a total of 6000 points. I pretty much exclusively played the Engineer class. in the beta

I never used the AK74. I thought it wasn't that great. However it's as if they beefed up the power and accuracy.

Best kill of the day definitely goes to when I slammed the Abrams into one of the watchtowers by accident and killed three guys sitting up there. They must have been COD noobs trying to camp to get their Harriers. Or they were super unlucky and two of them just spawned on their Recon teammate. I'd like to think they were MW2 noobs.

This game is great and I hope to get started on the campaign when I get home from class.

BTW my film professor just said today's class is going to be only 3 hours instead of 4. I guess this game has more appeal than people think.

Skel said:
One thing I suspect is if you don't get into this early you are gonna be in for a shit show, more so than a normal shooter.

It seems like this game more than others really gives powerful rewards at upper levels.

As time went on in BF2 they unlocked stuff for everyone until eventually everything was unlocked for everyone. So if you bought the game years later you didnt have to put in all the time to get the goodies. It's possible they might do something similar for this game.

Z_Y

Sorry to do this guys but I really don't have the time to read this whole thread and I don't trust anybody but GAF when it comes to this type of thing...but....

Any technical differences between the PS3 or 360 versions? Usually I go 360 but my Gold is up in May I may not renew it. I'm looking for a nudge to start getting my MP games on PS3 and if everything else is equal...this may do it.

Pete Rock

Skel said:
It's completely irrelevant, what is more important is playing with a good squad. No amount of time investment is going to provide an unfair advantage, that's not how Battlefield games work. Rather than catering to a million different catass whims, they actually have a thing called balance :D

So I tried to play the game on 360, it tells me it needs to do an update and then it gets an error saying "Failed to load DLL "GAME:\splash.xex". The only option is to abort. Bad disc?

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Akim said:

Oh god... it's like BF 1943 all over again. You could be in the same party and the same squad and it wouldn't let you on the same teams. :( I hope this isn't the case because that was so incredibly annoying.

zero margin said:
So I tried to play the game on 360, it tells me it needs to do an update and then it gets an error saying "Failed to load DLL "GAME:\splash.xex". The only option is to abort. Bad disc?

nevermind this, it updated but gave me this error again after it was done and kicked me back to the dashboard. Odd.

Lunchbox said:
the guy doing the commentary on that sounds worse than the douchebags in MW2 he is complaining about

"This is REAL WAR, arggh, be serious you scrubs !!!!"

i'd punch him in the face in real life

20tp5oj.jpg

pleasedon'tquotemyavatar

U2NUMB

El_TigroX said:
Oh god... it's like BF 1943 all over again. You could be in the same party and the same squad and it wouldn't let you on the same teams. :( I hope this isn't the case because that was so incredibly annoying.

If it is like BC1 play more than one game and it will place you into the same squad. This happens when they put you into a game where they need 2 on each team or something like that. It should remember your actually trying to play together and if you stick it out more than one round it should reunite your squad.

practice02 said:
PS3 or 360 or it doesn't matter? please no fanboy response's

It does not matter.. both run great.. look great and are fun as hell.

jeffisbiking

Neo Member
moojito said:

Whenever I come across some acronym I don't know, I just hit Urban Dictionary, they usually have entries for whatever acronym I come across.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I need the help of a PC player , could anyone post a screenshot of each map?
(Gonna remake the OP)

Mad Max

Mr. Snrub said:
I don't think you can compare the two, but Bad Company 2 is doing it with not just a few huts/buildings destructible and 32 players. Crysis looks better, but it's not like its cut and dry.

Crysis physics are much more impressive tho', I mean it's really cool that you can blow up buildings (especially in an MP game), but the game barely tries to simulate any actual physics at all. Although it is a necessary evil I guess, because applying crysis' physics in the same way would really destroy any processor that is not a top of the line quadcore.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Does the tracer dart lock-on seem a little iffy to anyone else? Locked on rockets are missing a lot more often than in the beta for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom