• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 |OT2| See, Spot, Run

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
theSeks said:
Well, that and the 12x scope not being able to "spot" outside a certain range. WTF, DICE. If I see someone/enemy and they're in my scope and visible. I should be able to call their position out. :|

DICE goes and creates what I think is a simple (and innovative) but incredibly effective "core" communication system with the context-sensitive select-button "battlefield chatter"... which spotting plays a part in. I think it's pretty genius.

Then they gimp it in the weirdest ways. They're a hard group to figure out.

recklessmind said:
But here's the thing... why does the UAV have a damn spotting cooldown!? You spot a guy (you're lucky if it even spots him) and then it disappears after two seconds! UAV spotting is absurd right now, almost pointless. Spotting is the UAV's primary function and it doesn't ever work.
Agreed. The idea of a UAV calling out their defense always intrigued me, and sometimes I will do it. The only thing I can tell you is to spot a group and keep the cross hair on them; then spot wait a bit, spot, wait a bit...until they die.

UAV needs a serious pop-in radius and spotting buff. Thing is worthless other than C4ing the crate and getting a lucky 1 hit tank kill (shit needs to be fixed as well, ugh!).

Oh and a bunch of maps they can kill you with out any effort. Even if I am not killing and trying to just provide recon I'll get killed.

Evolved1

Mr Sandman said:
Agreed. The idea of a UAV calling out their defense always intrigued me, and sometimes I will do it. The only thing I can tell you is to spot a group and keep the cross hair on them; then spot wait a bit, spot, wait a bit...until they die.

UAV needs a serious pop-in radius and spotting buff. Thing is worthless other than C4ing the crate and getting a lucky 1 hit tank kill (shit needs to be fixed as well, ugh!).

Oh and a bunch of maps they can kill you with out any effort. Even if I am not killing and trying to just provide recon I'll get killed.

UAV one hit tank kills on harvest day are getting pretty old. You'll have the entire side of the map on lockdown and then you get OHK'd by some wussie in the UAV. If he doesn't kill you, by the time you pop smoke *repair* *cooldown* *repair* he's "back on station" for another shot. Meanwhile you can't really see him and the tank gunner cant shoot > 45 degrees even if you do.

Not quite as bad as the LD from BC1 but it's close. I can live with it but it's pretty annoying. And like you said, they really need to improve it's spotting function.

recklessmind said:
DICE goes and creates what I think is a simple (and innovative) but incredibly effective "core" communication system with the context-sensitive select-button "battlefield chatter"... which spotting plays a part in. I think it's pretty genius.

Then they gimp it in the weirdest ways. They're a hard group to figure out.
In their defence, the way DICE wanted it was the way it was in the PS3 beta, and it was excellent IMHO (although maybe tank gunner spam was a problem). It wasn't until silly people began whinging about it en masse though that DICE decided to change it. It's those people I can't figure out. Maybe they were struggling to come to terms with the fact that after being gods in COD they were suddenly cannon fodder in BFBC2, and assumed that the spotting mechanism was to blame.

Then again, maybe that was all just a smokescreen on DICE's part and the problem was simply that they were worried about the server load of all of that spotting?

Evolved1

Maybe... I don't know. I thought there were some issues with long range spotting from the beta. Truthfully, a sniper on a hill would light up targets he could never see.... through trees, behind walls... it was too powerful. Imo of course.

I think in a perfect BC2 world CQB and UAV spotting are unlimited and long range spotting has the current cooldown.

I really love (as a hardcore smoke user) that we can spot through friendly smoke but it blocks enemy spotting. I think that was a really good decision.

PedYup

I really miss the spotting from the beta. The way I spot is pressing the button every few seconds regardless everything else, you never know what is going to show.

Oh so now people join in on my spotting complaints...freaking 9 months later when I have learned to just accept it:lol

Tthe Beta's unlimited + cluster spotting was too overpowered in certain scenarios. It use to be I can get on the heavy MG on the 4th set of Arica, spot a bunch of people in 2 presses and then maul them down like crazy (30+ or so kills).That along with unlimited motion sensor + no D.20 made that set almost impossible for a lot of people.

What they should have done is to keep unlimited spotting, but make the requirement for spotting something stricter so that cluster spotting doesn't happen that easily (cause it still happens to somewhat of a degree now.

Keep in mind - one benefit of the cool down now is that snipers can no longer snipe as easily.

abuC

I have no problem with spotting, I prefer BC2's approach to BC1s, if anyone shot at you and clipped you in BC1 you'd pop up on the mini map for awhile.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Hoenstly, the cooldown in CQC should be slightly less and the spotting range should be longer on 12x Scopes for the snipers.

The inconsistent spotting (I'M RIGHT BEHIND THE ENEMY, I'M TRYING TO SPOT HIM AS HE RUNS AWAY. WTF, DICE. I KNOW HE'S AN ENEMY!) is the thing that pisses me off.

Razor210

recklessmind said:
I'll try to remember, but if I don't please send me a FR. (evolved1) You didn't get any hatemail but I actually meant to send you some "good game" mail last night... we were together a few times and very effective. I don't know how often (if ever) you play with rockscar but if we could get you in our regular squad I think that'd be pretty sick.
You're usually piloting stuff, right? I remember one time in which we stole the enemy's heli on Oasis, and I ended up piloting and you were in the gunner seat - I figured you were raging at how much this guy sucks at flying:lol

Evolved1

Razor210 said:
You're usually piloting stuff, right? I remember one time in which we stole the enemy's heli on Oasis, and I ended up piloting and you were in the gunner seat - I figured you were raging at how much this guy sucks at flying:lol

I think we were in the tank... iirc. Or maybe it was the heli... I think it was oasis. :lol I don't know, I just remember we were in different squads and I thought "should send this guy a gg message".

Kind of freaking me out that I can't recall the specifics of something that happened yesterday.

edit: And don't worry, I never rage at pilots when I'm the gunner. I'm getting better at piloting, but there was a time not long ago that I was the worst pilot on the face of the earth, and that still shows through occasionally. :lol

If we're are rolling pretty good as a team (not in danger of losing) then I have no problem being the gunner for someone who is getting the hang of flying the helis. If we crash we crash. I've killed too many squadmate gunners by crashing into trees, cranes, mountains, other helicopters, to be in any position to judge.

oh yeah, newbies, if Seks sends you a message, ignore the part where he calls you a dumbass and read and remember the part where he gives helpful suggestions on how to improve your teamwork :D

recklessmind said:
UAV one hit tank kills on harvest day are getting pretty old. You'll have the entire side of the map on lockdown and then you get OHK'd by some wussie in the UAV. If he doesn't kill you, by the time you pop smoke *repair* *cooldown* *repair* he's "back on station" for another shot. Meanwhile you can't really see him and the tank gunner cant shoot > 45 degrees even if you do.

Not quite as bad as the LD from BC1 but it's close. I can live with it but it's pretty annoying. And like you said, they really need to improve it's spotting function.
it's not close. in BC1 i could LD a dozen vehicles in a match easily. oasis? fuggedaboudit!

and the cooldown was like .. 15-20 seconds?

TheSeks

The Faceless Master said:
oh yeah, newbies, if Seks sends you a message, ignore the part where he calls you a dumbass and read and remember the part where he gives helpful suggestions on how to improve your teamwork :D

I really wish I could field commander the troops, a la MAG's commander system sort-of. Would give me less a headache.

Laser Designator

I do not have the skill required for that. Plus it seems to throw my sniper all around while controlling it so after I hit/miss the target, my recon is looking upwards in the air and 180 behind where he was looking before. :lol

BC1's cool-down felt longer than it probably is. Playing BC2 and the mortar is WAY longer than the BC1's Artillery/Stationary Mortar strike is.

Evolved1

Hey anyone who just had the displeasure of being on the other side of my mic... apologies. That was a level of frustration rarely witnessed. I just could not understand what they were doing with our vehicles. We were playing against two clans, who were very good, my shit was laggy, and our team was impossibly stupid. On the second set, we have a fucking tank, we're down to just alpha, the guy is parked at the end of the road just sitting there while they rush in and arm. He did nothing. I die trying to save the crate and the last thing I see before the game freezes is this fuckwit parked down by the AT looking off over at the next spawn point. Smh like the seks.

I get the freeze just as gaf fills up our side. I hope you guys pulled it out... tall order.

Faceless... truth is I barely remember BC1 that well. It's been quite a while since I played. You're probably right.

recklessmind said:
Hey anyone who just had the displeasure of being on the other side of my mic... apologies. That was a level of frustration rarely witnessed. I just could not understand what they were doing with our vehicles. We were playing against two clans, who were very good, my shit was laggy, and our team was impossibly stupid. On the second set, we have a fucking tank, we're down to just alpha, the guy is parked at the end of the road just sitting there while they rush in and arm. He did nothing. I die trying to save the crate and the last thing I see before the game freezes is this fuckwit parked down by the AT looking off over at the next spawn point. Smh like the seks.

I get the freeze just as gaf fills up our side. I hope you guys pulled it out... tall order.

Faceless... truth is I barely remember BC1 that well. It's been quite a while since I played. You're probably right.
we should play BC1! i know Seks wants to!

TheSeks

And we should get AbuC so we have a full four squad (if DICE doesn't split us.) :D!

TheSeks

"if" :lol :lol :lol

...Yeah, I know. :lol That's the worse thing about the squad system in BC1. You have no control over it, so I basically get put with a bunch of jackasses while you're doing work in the tank. :(

Razor210 said:
We could try making a GAF chat so that Sek could instantly send his rage to all of us :lol
you mean like back in the spring/summer? yeah, i recall people leaving the chat...

man, party chat would be nice on ps3, it works wonders on 360!

not that i talk much, but i usually do when it's important!

Evolved1

I'll have to buy it... I played BC1 on 360.

If I can find a cheap copy I'll pick it up. Would be nice to have gadget switching back on the shoulder buttons. And the injector needle!

:lol

PedYup

Pretty bad day today. I jump servers to avoid helicopter huggin douches and I get hardcore sniping squads. F**k them!.

I also have BC1 but I´m total noob in multiplayer. I can also play 1943.

Evolved1

PedYup said:
Pretty bad day today. I jump servers to avoid helicopter huggin douches and I get hardcore sniping squads. F**k them!.

I also have BC1 but I´m total noob in multiplayer. I can also play 1943.

I figured you must have been in a funky mood because for a couple games in a row I had more points than you, and that just never happens. I was like "this is so weird".

Then I went to watch some football and as soon as I turned it on the Eagles began the most ridiculous comeback from 20 something points down to beat the Giants on a punt return as time expired. Then my satellite signal froze like it does in really bad weather, so I looked out the window and the sky is perfectly clear. Today is the twilight zone.

Jtrizzy

Spotting was overpowered in the beta. All you had to do/was spam select, especially in tanks or as a recon. I would know, I abused the fuck out of it lol.

dwin45

Anybody else having issues with the servers today on PS3? The game as running fine this morning but now every game I get into, I keep having lag problems.

Nabs

dwin45 said:
Anybody else having issues with the servers today on PS3? The game as running fine this morning but now every game I get into, I keep having lag problems.

EA servers were fucked this morning/afternoon (PC). My score would randomly reset throughout the match. Had a 6-stab streak that got wiped :(

Evolved1

dwin45 said:

My last game before the freeze was lagging pretty bad. But haven't played it since.

TheSeks

Christmas time, plus Vietnam, plus Black Op's fuck up = lag time. :/

Evolved1

I did not realize we were getting an M40, classic M14, and an AK47.

mnsmh.gif

abuC

Just played with 8bit, Massa, Vinzanity, dantheman and a few other gaffers, don't know why but we got stuck in an endless rotation of Port Valdez. Either way, I felt bad for steamrolling those new players, they didn't have anyone on their side over 31, and a bunch of them were in the 8-17 range rank.

Jtrizzy said:
Spotting was overpowered in the beta. All you had to do/was spam select, especially in tanks or as a recon. I would know, I abused the fuck out of it lol.
I didn't mind it in terms of the recons - nice to see those guys actually contributing something to their teams - but yeah the tank gunner spam was clearly an issue. I would just bash SELECT constantly the entire time I was in the gunner seat of the tank, and combined with the zoom you could make enemies appear that you would never have noticed otherwise. If only they could have introduced a cooldown for the tank gunner and left it the same otherwise...

Vinsanity

abuC said:
Just played with 8bit, Massa, Vinzanity, dantheman and a few other gaffers, don't know why but we got stuck in an endless rotation of Port Valdez. Either way, I felt bad for steamrolling those new players, they didn't have anyone on their side over 31, and a bunch of them were in the 8-17 range rank.
Yeah, the poor guys were trapped in their first spawn at one point. Also, great flying abuC.

TheSeks

Olimpia...

Oh, dear, Olimpia...

Don't capture a flag with the helicopter if you're just going to flip it over. :|

And that team of randoms suck. Yeah, not going to be steamrolled there.

And Oasis is nothing but double helicopter fuck as tanks + helicopter attackers = anti-air, and then they steal it because we're being fucked because the team sucks.

Yeah, screw playing this with randoms. I fucking swear. >:|

abuC

liposome said:
Yeah, the poor guys were trapped in their first spawn at one point. Also, great flying abuC.

Thanks, I almost took us out by accident with that tower, I always forget it's there.

Just played with Jtrizzy and we were on the most worthless team ever, it literally felt like 2 vs 11. We armed the crates about 6 different times, none of our teammates were able to do it once, every single time we armed it our teammates were nowhere to be seen to keep them from disarming. We both had over 3000pts, the 3rd person on our team had 1300, after that it was all sub 1000 scores, and we were only on the second set. The team was so awful my PS3 froze, but then when I came back I couldnt connect to any games.

damn, that team has to be upset... on Atacama Desert, they had 3 more people than us, they were the American team, they had both choppers circle strafing and had us spawn trapped for a minute or so... AND THEY STILL ENDED UP LOSING

by over 50 tickets too!

you know someone is salty when one of the guys in the chopper bails out over the AA i'm in at B (as i'm shooting the chopper down yet again), parachutes in, guns me down while still coming down in the chute and proceeds to teabag for ... well, long enough to get killed.

:lol :lol :lol

you know someone is salty when one of the guys in the chopper bails out over the AA i'm in at B (as i'm shooting the chopper down yet again), parachutes in, guns me down while still coming down in the chute and proceeds to teabag for ... well, long enough to get killed.

:lol :lol :lol

I was there, Lol. I saw the chopper crash across from B, I raced over to the crash -- I didn't see the pilot bail. After I searched that area, I looked across and saw him teabagging you Lol. I shot at him a few times but someone else killed him. Funny stuff.

Yeah, I was sure as hell we were going to lose -- especially after they circle strafed the hell out of our base/spawn. Our team pulled out a couple of great victories, that's what happens when whore choppers!

2 more days. I wonder who is going to get Vietnam. I am for sure. I hope there is no server problem release day, but who am I kidding?

There is always something wrong on release date.

What time in the US did Vietnam launch on PC?

I'm in Australia and just realised I might not even be playing it to almost the 22nd since we're like 12 hours ahead or so..

Mully

Crakatak187 said:
2 more days. I wonder who is going to get Vietnam. I am for sure. I hope there is no server problem release day, but who am I kidding?

Don't you dare!

Oh fuck, you're right.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
TheSeks said:
Olimpia...

Oh, dear, Olimpia...

Don't capture a flag with the helicopter if you're just going to flip it over. :|

And that team of randoms suck. Yeah, not going to be steamrolled there.

And Oasis is nothing but double helicopter fuck as tanks + helicopter attackers = anti-air, and then they steal it because we're being fucked because the team sucks.

Yeah, screw playing this with randoms. I fucking swear. >:|
I actually dont play with randoms anymore i only play when there are gaffers around.
=3

Crakatak187 said:

Day one for me. And yeah im expecting a 'The game doesnt work were looking into it' :lol

I'm worried about the flamethrower. Is it overpowered? In the videos, it looks like it can take out entire teams. Can you make it explode with gunfire?

I've been having some trouble with C4 lately. I've put it down and then it simply won't detonate when I pull the trigger.

Fersis said:
I actually dont play with randoms anymore i only play when there are gaffers around.
=3

Playing with randoms can be fun, but:
1)The two teams has to be on par...or suck equally:lol
2)Most of the time I feel like the only one doing everything...like disarming the same m-coms 4-6 times in the period of 2-3 minutes.

oh and Looks like there won't be any GAF vs. GAF today. No full 24 player sign up means it'll most likely end in unbalanced teams like last time.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
adamsappel said:
I'm worried about the flamethrower. Is it overpowered? In the videos, it looks like it can take out entire teams. Can you make it explode with gunfire?
No, it has fairly limited range. It's more of a troll weapon.

Top Bottom