• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 |OT2| See, Spot, Run

I initially rented this for PS3 to try before I buy, but I ended up with 360 version because of my friends list.

I'm kinda regretting that decision. The PS3 analog's were much easier to aim with, or so it seemed.

Majeh

posted this in the Vietnam thread, hopefully someone can help me:

Hey guys, I installed BC2/Vietnam for the first time on steam but I'm getting this weird mouse error where the crosshair doesn't match up to where I'm pointing:

Any ideas on how to sort it? I haven't even started playing yet, and can't exit the game since I can't move my mouse far enough to select exit.

TheSeks said:
Very sad day. Faceless' last game was a crushing defeat on Hill 137. :(
what? my last game was a too early to call, but promising game on phu bai valley. i left the Hill 137 game when i saw half our team on that sniper rock by the US spawn.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The Faceless Master said:
what? my last game was a too early to call, but promising game on phu bai valley. i left the Hill 137 game when i saw half our team on that sniper rock by the US spawn.

I'm the one that started there, then everyone did it. Sorry. :lol

I'm slightly pissed your PS3 decided to crap out after how many hours you left it on? :lol

What is the failure? YLoD? GPU? CPU? PPU?

abuC

looks like my PS3 just died. guess i'm going 360 exclusive in BC2.
11hcg3s.gif

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
See you got tried of the chumps there, and want to come back to have a chance with playing with the king again.

TheSeks said:
I'm the one that started there, then everyone did it. Sorry. :lol

I'm slightly pissed your PS3 decided to crap out after how many hours you left it on? :lol

What is the failure? YLoD? GPU? CPU? PPU?
powers on, yellow light, blinking red lights.

already tried checking connections and a different HDD. no dice.

shintoki said:
See you got tried of the chumps there, and want to come back to have a chance with playing with the king again.
FK1983 came back?

That's a blow to the entire PS3 community :(

You could always try getting it repaired, I have some friends who've had success using a professional repair service out here. Generally it involves reflowing the PS3 board and possibly re-balling the RSX (along with the application of flux and a good quality thermal paste).

Majeh said:
posted this in the Vietnam thread, hopefully someone can help me:

Hey guys, I installed BC2/Vietnam for the first time on steam but I'm getting this weird mouse error where the crosshair doesn't match up to where I'm pointing:

Any ideas on how to sort it? I haven't even started playing yet, and can't exit the game since I can't move my mouse far enough to select exit.
This happened when I played it on my HDTV and I used NVIDA control panel to get rid of the over scanning. It might be a resolution problem try messing with that?

TheSeks

endlessflood said:
That's a blow to the entire PS3 community :(

You could always try getting it repaired, I have some friends who've had success using a professional repair service out here. Generally it involves reflowing the PS3 board and possibly re-balling the RSX (along with the application of flux and a good quality thermal paste).

I wouldn't recommend that. I know someone that fixed theirs and while successful the PS3 died again due to a stupid small cable that's easy to break on the disc-drive. Pro or not, I'd just pay the $150 to Sony to get it fixed or buy a slim.

I'm surprised Faceless' PS3 didn't die sooner, he left the damn thing on nearly 24/7 at times. Hardly ever saw him offline on my friends list. But yeah, it sucks he won't be playing anymore. :/

I've got three levels and the Vietnam trophies. After that, I dunno if I'll play BC2 anymore. I may focus on my backlog plus BC1's 10K kills trophy. :/ I mean, yeah there's still plenty of you on the PS3... but you guys aren't Faceless. :/ He's the first person on the PS3 that I played with in BC2 and he's the one I shot the shit with when people hazed me (KNIFE KNIFE KNIFE, SPAWN POINT CAMPED. Like literally. They had the whole spawn points of the map camped) my first BC1 game that nearly made me swear off the series after getting into Frostbite/Destruction in Battlefield on 1943. :lol

Here's some info that might be of interest to PS3 gamers who are finding themselves put on laggy servers. The source is a post by a buddy of mine over at the EA UK forums:
http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/...ns-server-browser-necessity.html#post18899826

The IP addresses for the regional BFBC2 servers on PS3:

175.45.132.76 Australia
64.34.187.X US East
64.34.190.X US East
64.34.208.X US East
69.174.253.X US East
109.200.221.X Japan
188.122.64.X Europe
188.122.66.X Europe
188.122.67.X Europe
213.163.65.X Europe
213.163.75.X Europe
213.163.78.X Europe
213.163.80.X Europe
213.163.81.X Europe
216.157.96.X US West
216.157.97.X US West

Note that this is an unofficial list arrived at through trial and error and some guesstimation so bear that in mind.

It's probably not as much of an issue for people outside of my region, but by blocking some of these IP addresses based on ping you can assure yourself of getting games with less lag. I recommend reading the EA UK forum thread I linked to above for more information on how the BFBC2 matchmaking works along with the potential downsides of blocking some of the servers.

TheSeks said:
I wouldn't recommend that. I know someone that fixed theirs and while successful the PS3 died again due to a stupid small cable that's easy to break on the disc-drive. Pro or not, I'd just pay the $150 to Sony to get it fixed or buy a slim.
I guess it depends on how much the third party repairer is charging vs how much Sony is charging, and how good the third party is. I know 6 people who've had their PS3's fixed by Beetronix and none have had follow up issues. It comes down to whether you can find a reputable repairer that can service your area I guess.

TheSeks

endlessflood said:
Here's some info that might be of interest to PS3 gamers who are finding themselves put on laggy servers. The source is a post by a buddy of mine over at the EA UK forums:
http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/...ns-server-browser-necessity.html#post18899826

The IP addresses for the regional BFBC2 servers on PS3:

Interesting. And *facepalm* at the MM defenders for consoles. SMH for MM. SMH. I want my server browsers and user made dedicated servers like PC on console, damn it. >:|

1stStrike

Banned
So, I played a couple of games on vietnam and my team was so retarded I was cussing up a storm. Frustrated, I said fuck it and went back to normal BC2. Played on good ol valp, arica harbor, isla, etc. and man did I miss those maps. I fell right back into "the old days" and was fucking everyone up. Got a couple of ace pins too.

I think I should just play 'nam when other gaffers are on.

TheSeks said:
Interesting. And *facepalm* at the MM defenders for consoles. SMH for MM. SMH. I want my server browsers and user made dedicated servers like PC on console, damn it. >:|
Yeah it's definitely interesting to see what sort of ping you get to the various regions. For me:

Australia: 35ms (DICE only put these in a few weeks ago)
Japan: 140ms
US West: 200ms
US East: 310ms
Europe: 400ms

manomanx2

Neo Member
Anybody know why I keep getting the error message: "Failed to connect to EA Online" when I click log-in/play now/servers/vietnam/friendlist or anything like that? I can't even get to the log-in menu. I just bought the game through Steam sale and it's really frustrating the hell out of me. I just did a fresh install of Windows 7, opened all the ports, did the ECN disabling thing, turned off my firewall, restarted my computer, etc, etc. Do I need to register my CD Key somewhere or create an account (which I did at the EA website) or something? Someone help me out!

snack

Just got back into this game again. Wow, it's fun. Sure beats Black Ops and its broken spawn system.

How's Vietnam? Should I get it (PC version)?

snack said:
Just got back into this game again. Wow, it's fun. Sure beats Black Ops and its broken spawn system.

How's Vietnam? Should I get it (PC version)?
Yes, get it, it's good! Plus PC is on track to unlock the 5th map (Op. Hastings) in a day or two (or three)! It looks to be the best map in Vietnam by far. Hueys, boats, tanks, etc.

Lumine

I'm really enjoying the multiplayer. It takes a bit to get used to the pacing and not get constantly randomly shot in the head, but once you do it's a blast. I'm enjoying the Rush mode. It feels like a much more streamlined and focused package than the old battlefields. I played the singleplayer first, which had some nice battles but wasn't anything special. I kinda wish it tied in a little more with the multiplayer because obviously that's the meat of the game.

I'm tempted to buy Vietnam now, but I think I'll hold out for now and just enjoy vanilla.

TheSeks

Cardigan said:
Just got the UE from Amazon. Is there a group of GAFers that still play BC2 on the 360?

Yes. Add the BC2 GAF tag and then join Faceless' games.

abuC

TheSeks said:
:lol No, but really. I dunno. Faceless and I gelled even when we weren't a machine some days. It'll be weird playing with you guys and you guys run off with your heads cut off at times and I'm like "WHERE IS FACELESS SO I CAN GET SOME POINTS? ;___;"

You could always take your talents to Xbox, I have one and looking at the Hastings counter it seems like the better action might be over there. I have a crappy PC, so playing it on there is out of question, besides I don't like the whole mouse and KB setup in general.

blurrygil

abuC said:
You could always take your talents to Xbox, I have one and looking at the Hastings counter it seems like the better action might be over there. I have a crappy PC, so playing it on there is out of question, besides I don't like the whole mouse and KB setup in general.

Action is definitely alive and well. I'm new, but have become such a better player since playing with gaffers. However at 922a pst, I'm saddened there are no gaffers to battle with. :'(

TheSeks said:
Yes. Add the BC2 GAF tag and then join Faceless' games.

This is a really dumbass question but I couldn't find it, what is the tag?

Also, I don't use a mic but I also try to be a good team player as a recon and spot and do all the little things. Does a lack of mic bother you guys

I could go get one but I really prefer not having one. Live in a place with terrible soundproof...

Mully

TheSeks said:

SOCOM has them, but it looks like it'll be gone in the next one. Wah wah.

Huggers

CHARLIE DON'T SURF

The Vietnam expansion just gets better and better for me. The maps are a mixed bag but I enjoy all of them, and I'm a conquest player predominantly. Rush is too inorganic to me, to set out. The maps are tight and there can be some harsh choke points but this doesn't bother me at all. So is it true there is a fifth map? How do you get it.

The Hueys whilst fun to fly are way, way too weak. They can be shot down in seconds. I heard they can be repaired in the air. Is this true and how the fuck do you do it?

blurrygil

Huggers said:
So is it true there is a fifth map? How do you get it.

69 million field actions by all players per platform will unlock it for that platform.

Huggers said:
The Hueys whilst fun to fly are way, way too weak. They can be shot down in seconds. I heard they can be repaired in the air. Is this true and how the fuck do you do it?

They can. Have an engineer sit in one of the non-gunner seats and aim for the top of the doorway/hatch. You can try to repair anywhere on the huey, but hitting the top of the door is best.

TheSeks

abuC said:

My X-box is out of commission. Until I repair it (need thermal paste) and only then it'll probably only be played for Radiant Silvergun XBLA. I don't like paying for Live anymore. Just don't see the value anymore.

This is a really dumbass question but I couldn't find it, what is the tag?

Message Faceless as he's the 360 person. I don't play on the 360, so I honestly can't remember the tag's name. But he made one for people to use the "friends of friend" option to join up on.

So... I got the 360 version off of my bro for Christmas. I decide to boot it up today, played sooo much of the demo way back when... but... I tried hopping on MM and it just kept loading and loading... nothing.

So, I end up having to dashboard it as it was getting nowhere after 5+ minutes. I gt bak into the game, but after pressing Start at the main menu, the screen goes black, no music, no nothing... I can't even get into the main menu now... What gives dudes?

I have updated bt I haven't gotten Vietnam. That's all I've been able to do.

Any help is much appreciated.

Edit: Fuck Gamestop anyway. Game is preowned. Disc read errors trying to get into Single Player aswell. They just about sell anything these days.

abuC

Horrible games, you were right to leave Seks, our team was garbage and we were playing against a clan of maybe 5. Rock and I accounted for 9400pts in that Arica game, I think the rest of the team accounted for 4000pts total. Needless to say we lost.

TheSeks

abuC said:
Horrible games, you were right to leave Seks, our team was garbage and we were playing against a clan of maybe 5. Rock and I accounted for 9400pts in that Arica game, I think the rest of the team accounted for 4000pts total. Needless to say we lost.

Oh, I left because I thought you were going to play Vietnam, but you weren't. :lol Stroganov was playing White Pass Rush, so I went to do Vietnam. *shrug*

Good thing I left, I guess. Probably would've raged hard. :lol

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I just got back to playing vanilla BC2 for the first time after playing Vietnam. I noticed you can now add a scope to the G3. I wasn't able to do this before.

richiek said:
I just got back to playing vanilla BC2 for the first time after playing Vietnam. I noticed you can now add a scope to the G3. I wasn't able to do this before.
yeah, optics on the G3 and M14 were added with the update that supported Map Pack 7.

Daigoro

damn thats awesome. i used to love the G3 while playing recon on 360.

need to unlock that on pc asap. sound like it will be amazing

Daigoro said:
damn thats awesome. i used to love the G3 while playing recon on 360.

need to unlock that on pc asap. sound like it will be amazing
if you're playing Recon, you should use the VSS with Red Dot or ACOG instead of the G3. pretty similar stats, but the VSS has a higher firing rate.

Just reinstalled the game. I forgot how much of a mess the server browser is. I can't tell if I enabled something or disabled in the the filter options. I also can't see pings other than 999. How do I fix this?

Mully

After tonight, I think I'm going back to vanilla BC2. In Vietnam, I just feel cheated out of some of my kills. Anyone else feel that way?

Daigoro

so i quit BC2 a while back and just started playing again recently. ive been out of the loop for a while so i didnt know about the recent VIP pack until now.

DICE actually released new free maps for BC2?!

are the new maps just from VIP 7 or did they release anything new before that? (not including rehashes).

ive only played Heavy Metal and a few minutes of some other map i dont remember the name of, but i liked it. how do folks like the new maps in general?

i hate to say it, but im thinking about trying to find a cheap copy for 360 to purchase... sad but true.

if you're playing Recon, you should use the VSS with Red Dot or ACOG instead of the G3. pretty similar stats, but the VSS has a higher firing rate.

thanks for the tip. i never even played recon until all other classes were maxed, and i had no desire to try any of the sniper rifles cause i hate stitting back.

ill check the VSS out though.

Erasus

BloodySinner said:
Just reinstalled the game. I forgot how much of a mess the server browser is. I can't tell if I enabled something or disabled in the the filter options. I also can't see pings other than 999. How do I fix this?

You need to run the game as admin to see pings.

Top Bottom