• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 |OT2| See, Spot, Run

vocab

Anyone played recently? I reinstalled, and holy shit what happened. I'm wondering if anyone else is experience a severe amount of texture pop in. I searched on the EA forums, and tons of people are having this problem. Did they do something to the game recently?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4ubXnTPjzU

This is what I'm talking about. It was never that bad when I was playing it the first two months.. Same thing with Just Cause 2 (not as bad). I wonder if this an ATI specfic problem, but the video I linked is from a gtx 295. Or is this just a cheap way to improve performance aka WE optimized it the best we could.

1stStrike

Banned
vocab said:
Anyone played recently? I'm wondering if anyone else is experience a severe amount of texture pop in. I searched on the EA forums, and tons of people are having this problem. Did they do something to the game recently?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4ubXnTPjzU

This is what I'm talking about. It was never that bad when I was playing it the first two months.. Same thing with Just Cause 2 (not as bad). I wonder if this an ATI specfic problem, but the video I linked is from a gtx 295. Or is this just a cheap way to improve performance aka WE optimized it the best we could.

It's happening on console too. I notice it in both vanilla and 'nam especially after respawning or going to kill cam.

HankToms

I just got this game as a steam gift from a friend, so i'm still learning all the tricks about this game, but one thing annoys me. When you die, you have to click on "join battle" to spawn. Is there an auto join battle option? Or is there a keyboard hotkey to join game? The less mouse clicks the better.

Other than that, this game is really fun. The gun sounds are excellent, both in SP and MP. I've always played a medic in BF2, so naturally I picked him here as well. I love the SAW too, sounds great to fire.

Last question about the free DLC mentioned in the OP. Do I need to download these, or enter a code(in game i saw an option)? Since I'm using steam, does it mean I have it already downloaded?

1stStrike said:
It's happening on console too. I notice it in both vanilla and 'nam especially after respawning or going to kill cam.
Is it just me or is that Shadow pop-in... If your playing on PC just make sure your running with DX11 shadows, they lessen that effect.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
HankToms said:
I just got this game as a steam gift from a friend, so i'm still learning all the tricks about this game, but one thing annoys me. When you die, you have to click on "join battle" to spawn. Is there an auto join battle option? Or is there a keyboard hotkey to join game? The less mouse clicks the better.

Last question about the free DLC mentioned in the OP. Do I need to download these, or enter a code(in game i saw an option)? Since I'm using steam, does it mean I have it already downloaded?

1. No. It breaks Battlefield and isn't the goal. You choose where you spawn instead of DICE. The only auto-spawn option is the base, and you don't want that in 99% of the cases if you're in a squad and they need someone there NOW.

I'm sure there is a keyboard/mouse combo option to where you choose your squad and then confirm, but no. You manually choose your spawn.

2. PC players are VIP by default. You have the maps (with the exception of Vietnam) already.

Is it just me or is that Shadow pop-in...

No, if they're talking about pop-in of the games maps, it's not a shadow or whatever problem. It's a problem on DICE's server/client end. Because even the 360/PS3 gets it. Arica Harbor Rush is notable for having the construction site pop-in and out in the killcam now. Been like this since "Map Pack 6/7"'s patch.

meppi

yeah the pop-in can get really crazy for some reason.

Yesterday I spawned behind a squat member and his model looked like a Virtua Fighter 1 model for a second before it went to a more detailed one and then finally the normal textured one.

Wish I was able to capture that image. :lol

Nabs

HankToms said:

It gives you a chance to pick your spawn

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Aww, was having an amazing round went 16-0 and then was going on another awesome streak and I had to go for dinner :( M16 is such an amazing weapon in Vietnam.

zsswimmer

Hey guys, I have BC2 for PC. It seems like no matter which server I choose to join, (I try to choose low ping servers), my ping is always high and the game is very laggy network wise. I don't have this problem with other games so I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem specifically with BC2?

abuC

Ikuu said:
Aww, was having an amazing round went 16-0 and then was going on another awesome streak and I had to go for dinner :( M16 is such an amazing weapon in Vietnam.

Even worse, I was having a great game on Oasis yesterday, must have been around 30 kills and 2 deaths before I got in the Apache. Had it in the air for about 5-10 minutes, killing people with Jas, then..............the frostbite freeze locks up my PS3.

Ocho

So I've been trying to bronze all the weapons on vanilla (never got to it) and I just realized that my stats weren't registering. I bronzed at least 8 weapons. Good game, DICE. Good game.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
ochobit said:
So I've been trying to bronze all the weapons on vanilla (never got to it) and I just realized that my stats weren't registering. I bronzed at least 8 weapons. Good game, DICE. Good game.

You can usually tell when you're getting fucked on the stats because you'll be rewarded with negative points and only be level 1.

Or... you'll make a bunch of progress as one normally would, but then the game fucks you back to lvl 1 when it "updates stats".

I know for the first example you do not receive those stats. At least that's the conclusion I've arrived at from personal experience.

The second option... I'm not sure. I think you lose the progress. I'm measuring this by Ace pins. I've been on a pretty good tear lately getting ace pins but I've also been losing my stats very frequently, too often after having monster ace rounds. Right now I have like 500 best squad pins and 60 something Ace pins. This is despite at least 25 - 30 Ace pins since Vietnam launched. I should be in the high 70's at least, but I'm not. The stats being shit the last few weeks are the only explanation.

Calion

recklessmind said:
You can usually tell when you're getting fucked on the stats because you'll be rewarded with negative points and only be level 1.

Or... you'll make a bunch of progress as one normally would, but then the game fucks you back to lvl 1 when it "updates stats".

I know for the first example you do not receive those stats. At least that's the conclusion I've arrived at from personal experience.

The second option... I'm not sure. I think you lose the progress. I'm measuring this by Ace pins. I've been on a pretty good tear lately getting ace pins but I've also been losing my stats very frequently, too often after having monster ace rounds. Right now I have like 500 best squad pins and 60 something Ace pins. This is despite at least 25 - 30 Ace pins since Vietnam launched. I should be in the high 70's at least, but I'm not. The stats being shit the last few weeks are the only explanation.

Whenever that happens to me, your previous progress has been saved. That's from my experience anyway.

PedYup

Great games with Fersis in Vietnam and Evolved1 in vanilla mode.
First, a big FU to the douche that sent hatemail to Fersis: we held our ground playing 3 vs 7 in conquest and they even had to use the PBR glitch to bleed our tickets.
Second, fix this shit Dice, now seriously FIX THESE STATS SHIT DICE!, it´s just ridiculous that stats work one in five matches.
Evolved1: I couldn´t fire in the chopper as I was the right gunner, that Valparaiso game was a close call, what a bunch of spineless cowards was our team. SMH at people taking the tank while we were repairing it only to be blown up five seconds later. I tend to use the extra damage perk in vehicles so it complements well a defensive perk like the smoke launcher for the driver but I don´t mind driving the vehicles.

Evolved1

PedYup said:
Evolved1: I couldn´t fire in the chopper as I was the right gunner, that Valparaiso game was a close call, what a bunch of spineless cowards was our team. SMH at people taking the tank while we were repairing it only to be blown up five seconds after. I tend to use the extra damage perk in vehicles so it complements well a defensive perk like the smoke launcher for the driver but I don´t mind driving the vehicles.

I got mixed up with which gunner you were... :lol

I think first gun is right side, but I forgot.

Far as piloting... I just notice you rarely do, because I always jump in vehicles first, but I don't mind gunning. As long as it's one of us in it, and not some random I'm fine.

Morons in vehicles is the most infuriating thing to me... it's one thing to be a worthless base-camping recon, but to actually waste vehicles that can be (and often are) determining factor of a win/loss... just can't stand it.

I know it takes forever to do XMB messages. So from now on I'll just pause a moment before getting in, and if you'd rather drive, just jump in first.

TheSeks

Dubbed and his teammate pissing me off. Level 50's SMA. >:|

TheSeks said:
Dubbed and his teammate pissing me off. Level 50's SMA. >:|

tumblr_lefvffnsGC1qe1xph.png

Evolved1

abuC said:
You shouldn't have left, we stone walled them in the next game.

The lag for me on that match was so bad... not sure why but it was nearly unplayable... especially against a decent team.

Was frustrating beyond belief.

abuC

recklessmind said:
The lag for me on that match was so bad... not sure why but it was nearly unplayable... especially against a decent team.

Was frustrating beyond belief.

I had some lag too, not horrible lag but annoying nonetheless.

TheSeks

Dubbedinenglish said:
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lefvffnsGC1qe1xph.png

:lol Goddamn right. I was annoyed that round. "Killed by Dubbed again? Goddamn it. Fucking tracer? >:|"

abuC said:
You shouldn't have left, we stone walled them in the next game.

We got some noob who jumped in the chopper while trying to repair it on the second set. Se we were not doing anything while this noob tried to grief us. >:-( Smurfs.

I was on the GAF side on Isla then it put me on the opposite for Oasis, so I went troll mode while my noobs did nothing. By the first base I had 2000+ while second place was at 650.

1stStrike

Banned
Crakatak187 said:
Great games today.

That game on oasis we lost was crap. Gaffers were pretty much all over that place on the last mcom and not organized. I was arming the mcom with 15 tickets left and nobody was watching my back - and then someone ran up and shotgunned me.

Luckily, we rolled them from that point on. I also had the funniest moment on arica harbor that I've had in a long time. I went and armed B on the second set, then ran through the door to the house next to it. I went to knife the second door to get through and all of a sudden I hear "UGH" and Suya falls dead in front of me...

He knifed through the door at the same time as me, but I was crouched and my knife killed him :lol

1stStrike

Banned
Crakatak187 said:
The next game defense on the first checkpoint was an embarrassment.

Oh yeah it was. I'm going to block that from my mind. Gaf was playing like shit on that one, no question about it. Hell, I was 2nd in points when that match end.

I'm not nearly as good as most gaffers, so when I come in on the top 3 you know you played bad :lol

Nabs

pc gaf is rolling thick these days.

i forgot how awesome the recon class could be. motion mines and mortar strikes. so fun.

TheSeks

The Faceless Master said:
hey at least 48-49 is only 200k!

I should be able to get to 49 through the Vietnam gold stars. I'm going through on Hastings playing with shitty teams (SMH Randoms, they don't even form squads. WTF, GB2/CoD/ asshats) killing with the medic and engineer guns as IIRC, minus the SVD Gold there's a few more guns besides the AK in those classes I need to gold.

guys, your stories of disarray are depressing!

Seriously, with you gone I've seen a disturbing lack of communication/coordination with GAF. :/

abuC said:
Fix your PS3 mane.
i plan to, but it takes time and money, and this is right after the holidays which put me low on both :lol :lol :lol

plus i ***need*** to get an Epic 4G still!

TheSeks said:
I should be able to get to 49 through the Vietnam gold stars. I'm going through on Hastings playing with shitty teams (SMH Randoms, they don't even form squads. WTF, GB2/CoD/ asshats) killing with the medic and engineer guns as IIRC, minus the SVD Gold there's a few more guns besides the AK in those classes I need to gold.
i gotta get gold with all the assault and medic guns and the uzi and mac10 to polish off my achievements list. i need to stop using the flamethrower, but it's so much fun!

Seriously, with you gone I've seen a disturbing lack of communication/coordination with GAF. :/
which is kind of funny since i didn't talk that much anyway.

TheSeks

i gotta get gold with all the assault and medic guns and the uzi and mac10 to polish off my achievements list. i need to stop using the flamethrower, but it's so much fun!

Uzi is a beast. I golded it first. Leaves the Mac 10 and PPSh, I'm doing the Mac 10 now and minus the weird iron sights, it's just as deadly as the Uzi but has a smaller clip. :(

RPK sucks. I figured I'd like it since it's an AK-grandfather, but non-MA'ed it sucks ass, and even with MA slapped on (HERP DERP, yes, I'm a hypocrite when it comes to starring guns I need to star quickly) it still kinda sucks ass. :/

ok, after playing 4 rage inducing games with NubCakes and some of the worst randoms ever i decided to clean my list a bit. i deleted about a dozen people, mostly anyone who had black ops as their last played game... 11 spots free! if you've played BC2 with me before, feel free to send a FR.

TheSeks said:
Uzi is a beast. I golded it first. Leaves the Mac 10 and PPSh, I'm doing the Mac 10 now and minus the weird iron sights, it's just as deadly as the Uzi but has a smaller clip. :(

RPK sucks. I figured I'd like it since it's an AK-grandfather, but non-MA'ed it sucks ass, and even with MA slapped on (HERP DERP, yes, I'm a hypocrite when it comes to starring guns I need to star quickly) it still kinda sucks ass. :/

no wai man. PPSh is like an assault rifle! poppin' heads across the map!

My Squad communicates all the time. We be snitching all the time on the mic. The team wasn't communicating well on maps we don't know inside out.

By the time we were at Atacama and etc we were rolling. Especially my favorite Arica harbor.

I hate magnum ammo :( hopefully they take it out of the next game, the only thing BF can learn from Black Ops ;D

I try to be an effective medic with both upgrades but i need to be wearing body armor to survive out there :E

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Sorry for last night guys, im trying the Sniper Rifles for a week or two.

TheSeks

no wai man. PPSh is like an assault rifle! poppin' heads across the map!

Meh. I don't like the PPSh. Uzi all the way, which is weird as I don't like the Uzi in BC2 Vanilla.

Ocho

recklessmind said:

The stats actually updated yesterday afternoon, after spamming My Stats every now and then until they decided to properly update. I guess all the stats are still being recorded, just not updated visibly (sometimes).

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
They really need to fix the ability to repair the Huey in the air, especially on some maps that have pretty much no anti-air options.

TheSeks

And, stats are broken right now. :/ Hopefully it kept my SVD Silver Star. >_>

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I just got BC2 for Christmas and have been putting a lot of time into it. I've played a lot of Battlefield games, including 1943 on XBLA, so I'm not totally new to it. I'm not the best player but I'm not the worst. But I have never, not once, been on the winning team since getting BC2. I'm consistently at the top of my team, but my team always consists of numerous people with 0-200 points, contributing absolutely nothing.

I enjoy this game a lot, but it's very frustrating constantly losing and being dominated by the other team. Why am I never on the good team? Why are teams so poorly balanced? I know I'm opening myself up for people to say I'm bad because I'm always losing, but I really don't think that's the case.

Top Bottom