• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 |OT2| See, Spot, Run

There was a game when I played against GAF on Laguna Presa and oh boy those randoms doesn't even try to defend the M-COMs, so I went went around looking for Gaffers to kill :lol
I did pretty well also. I think it was 33-5.

1stStrike

Banned
Don't worry seks, I left because I was lagging too. We got a shitty server or something. I was starving and everything was so fucking laggy I couldn't really get any kills so I was just like "fuck this" and left.

After watching that video yesterday I decided to go 870 combat and fuck around with it. That thing is so cheap - I was getting kills left and right. Even killed the passenger of a hum-v from about 150 yards out while it was driving in on atacama desert. Got a few long distance headshots with it too. Being assault with that + M1911 + C4 as assault is a pretty beastly combo. But, with the lag it was a pain in the ass.

I got my new laptop today anyway so I've just been setting that up for work and stuff. So far I'm really impressed with it. Glad I got an Acer. The keyboard alone is much better then my previous one - the keys are actually spaced apart a bit and are much better to type on so I can get going at 70 or 80 wpm and not make a crap ton of mistakes :D

First thing I did though was download Ubuntu 10.10 and install it. Fuck that Windows shit on a laptop :lol

Crakatak187 said:
There was a game when I played against GAF on Laguna Presa and oh boy those randoms doesn't even try to defend the M-COMs, so I went went around looking for Gaffers to kill :lol
I did pretty well also. I think it was 33-5.

If you see on opposing team for a continuous amount of time, this is pretty much what I am doing. In most cases, it seems to the team just gives up and ignore M-COMs altogether. I usually go recon and pick off random gaffers here and there.

Yeah there is no way a team of randoms that ignore the M-COMs is going to win against 6 gaffers and 6 other randoms on defense. I save myself the headache and cockblock gaffers that round.

Abu was right. What you got against gaf man !? :lol

Crakatak187 said:
Abu was right. What you got against gaf man !? :lol

Lol, nothing dude! ..sometimes I like the challenge, other times, just to be an annoying little prick and too lazy to switch over. It's like the only time I can go lone wolf and not feel guilty.

Blizzard

Banned
I finally got this game in a recent Steam sale and have been playing it with NeoGAF people. I don't have Vietnam. It seems pretty fun when you have friends, actually, though I suppose I'm only playing on newbie servers for lower ranks (I'm like rank 7?).

I've played almost exclusively recon so far to try to get all the unlocks, though I will on rare occasions go rage engineer if no one is RPGing tanks.

It seems some people here have had bad experiences at high levels or with lack of teamwork, which I suppose I can see. I have had a few games where I do REALLY badly instead of just badly, and at one point I was on a server where it was like 10 people vs 3 people (and one was afk?)...and the autobalance wasn't kicking in or something like that.

I don't mind tanks, helicopters, grenades, knives, snipers etc. so much. The main two things that really get on my nerves besides occasional constant ground-shaking (mortars everywhere?) are lack of visibility in some maps...the snow one is TERRIBLE in this regard because of snow clouds, and people could snipe us or shoot mortars from mountains through them...and people sniping with SMGs/LMGs. A sniper rifle doesn't have much of an advantage besides zoom if someone can kill me with a few SMG shots from a few hundred feet away. :p

In general it's pretty fun though, even though I so far tend to have the horrible habit of going lone wolf and only helping my squad through sharing vehicles, providing spawn, throwing motion mines for visibility, announcing enemy locations/scouting, and sniping. Last night I actually sniped a couple of people out of VADS or machine guns which is presumably useful. :)

*edit* I forgot one of the other things that struck me about the game. A game like TF2 strikes me as making it pretty easy to see everything going on around you, and people stick together. BC2 on the contrary gives me the feeling of being on a giant battlefield with the ground shaking and people all over the place, and you don't know where you're being shot at and shelled from, so you run around scared and hide in buildings and stuff. It's not necessarily BAD, just different, and feels more like a big chaotic environment.

In particular, though, I wish that there were a way to combine two squads into one megasquad, or maybe show class icons for non-squad teammates on the minimap. It feels really hard for me to coordinate with people who aren't on my squad if they're more than 10-20 feet away. It's hard enough for me to even read squadmate's names if they're running sideways past me, but at least I can try to remember who's a medic and use the icons to identify them.

vixlar

Blizzard. About some of your complaints. I know they are sometimes awful, but for me, all those details are what make this game great. You don't know how many times I've yelled a swear when I have someone in the aim, and all gets covered in snow. Hehe. But when I see it en perspective, it makes it different and unique.

One of my many gripes (I love this game, but as you, I have a lot of complaints) is that you can't see what class is using your team. At least tell me how many of every class are in that moment in my team, so I can decide more efficiently my own class.

Blizzard

Banned
vixlar said:
Blizzard. About some of your complaints. I know they are sometimes awful, but for me, all those details are what make this game great. You don't know how many times I've yelled a swear when I have someone in the aim, and all gets covered in snow. Hehe. But when I see it en perspective, it makes it different and unique.

One of my many gripes (I love this game, but as you, I have a lot of complaints) is that you can't see what class is using your team. At least tell me how many of every class are in that moment in my team, so I can decide more efficiently my own class.
I agree, I like the game even with the problems. It is especially fun if I have friends to play with.

You're right about the classes, and it goes along with what I said about squads being limited to 4 players. Unlike TF2, you can't easily coordinate with your whole team by seeing who's alive (as far as I know), who's dead, who has what class, and so forth. The teamwork is restricted to your 4-person squad, and that's just the way the game seems designed. I am unfamiliar with how BF 1942 and BF2 implemented this.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Blizzard said:
In particular, though, I wish that there were a way to combine two squads into one megasquad, or maybe show class icons for non-squad teammates on the minimap. It feels really hard for me to coordinate with people who aren't on my squad if they're more than 10-20 feet away. It's hard enough for me to even read squadmate's names if they're running sideways past me, but at least I can try to remember who's a medic and use the icons to identify them.

I want this, but only limited to communication... i.e. not being able to spawn too many people in one spot. Because squad members are a moving spawn point, I think it'd be unwise to make squads more than the four man teams they are currently. However, being able to communicate/link to another squad would be ace.

Also... proximity chat motherfuckers, do you speak it!!?!!?!!?!!

especially in vehicles, godamn

*Gets in chopper*

*Smurf gets in gunner seat*

*Takes off*

*Fly low, sneak up on VADS*

"Shoot the AA gun. Shoot the AA gun. OMG... shoot the gun! WHY IS HE NOT SHOOTING THE A...."

*Random <VADS> Evolved1*

Random situation two (this time with proximity chat):

*See sniper sitting in base, miles away from objective*

*Walk in front of him*

*Stare at him*

"Hey dude... so uh... what ya doin' out here?"

:lol

Blizzard said:
I agree, I like the game even with the problems. It is especially fun if I have friends to play with.

You're right about the classes, and it goes along with what I said about squads being limited to 4 players. Unlike TF2, you can't easily coordinate with your whole team by seeing who's alive (as far as I know), who's dead, who has what class, and so forth. The teamwork is restricted to your 4-person squad, and that's just the way the game seems designed. I am unfamiliar with how BF 1942 and BF2 implemented this.
well, on PC there's 3rd party apps, and on 360 there's party chat.

Evolved1

The Faceless Master said:

And on PS3 we have... um... uh... free online?

:/

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
recklessmind said:
And on PS3 we have... um... uh... free online?

:/

Stop being a wuss, man. We don't need it. You have a cripple on your side anyway, what good would cross-chat do? :p

Blizzard

Banned
That's a good point, if there were a way to combine squads, spawns probably shouldn't be combined.

Oh we used Mumble. I didn't mean voicechat, I mean the minimap, minimap icons, and HUD. As someone else pointed out, as far as I know you have no clue who's alive/dead on your team and who's playing what class, aside from your squad. Your other squads could have 8 combined engineers, or 2 engineers, and you don't know so you just go engineer if it looks like the situation requires it.

Also, I found myself asking my friends (but in a different squad, we had like 8 people) "so are you guys on C now", "what point are you on", etc. Past 10-20 feet away, everyone becomes a little blue arrow on the map and ingame, and I haven't learned to recognize the classes from very far away, I guess. I would probably be happy if I could see names further away, or at least class icons. :)

i thought the PC version had icons on the scoreboard now... and isn't there an icon that indicates someone is dead?
TheSeks said:
Stop being a wuss, man. We don't need it. You have a cripple on your side anyway, what good would cross-chat do? :p
we can talk about the angry text messages we're about to get after screwing up.

okay, well.. not "we" but you get the idea...

Blizzard

Banned
i thought the PC version had icons on the scoreboard now... and isn't there an icon that indicates someone is dead?
This may be the case. In which case I'm an idiot and have half of what I want. :lol

1stStrike

Banned
Nothing but laggy servers and retard teams today on PS3. Shot several guys point blank with the 40 mm shotgun and it didn't even register. Jumped over the same fence twice. Took 4 attempts to get through a doorway.

abuC

My goddamn PS3 froze...and I was having probably my best game ever, on Oasis we were already to the 3rd set and I hadn't died once yet. I must have been 50-60 kills in, started in the tank racking up kills then stole the defenders Helicopter......................

TheSeks

we can talk about the angry text messages we're about to get after screwing up.

okay, well.. not "we" but you get the idea...

You're the only one that's immune to my wrath. :p

abuC

Crakatak187 said:
Server is all wacko right now.

This sums up my feelings when my PS3 locked up:

angry-christian-bale-screams-shouts.jpg

It was my master piece, my opus...gone...just gone.

abuC said:
This sums up my feelings when my PS3 locked up

Dude, you were raping my team with the Heli today on Oasis. Before you got disconnected it was total chaos, but after you left we actually almost won. :lol

Calion

abuC said:
My goddamn PS3 froze...and I was having probably my best game ever, on Oasis we were already to the 3rd set and I hadn't died once yet. I must have been 50-60 kills in, started in the tank racking up kills then stole the defenders Helicopter......................

....Then I happened. :D

Also, I just had a wicked glitch where I had the M16A2 and C4 equipped. It was odd.

Phu Bai Valley

Attacking

2 Recons in guard towers

6 people on the Helipad

2 guys in the tank sitting in our base tank sniping at the defenders the entire game

me and 1 squadmate taking on 12 people on the other team

fucking randoms

TheSeks

fucking randoms

:lol :lol Just go to Hastings if you need the kills and then forget Vietnam exists, seriously man. All the terrible players moved over.

Phu Bai Valley

Attacking

2 Recons in guard towers

6 people on the Helipad

2 guys in the tank sitting in our base tank sniping at the defenders the entire game

me and 1 squadmate taking on 12 people on the other team

fucking randoms
TNT on the base of the guard towers and team kill those fuckers. I hate people who guard tower snipe on rush.

Fucking random blew up our own crate on the last kill. There needs to be an auto boot after like negative 100 points from objectives already.

Evolved1

Crakatak187 said:
Fucking random blew up our own crate on the last kill. There needs to be an auto boot after like negative 100 points from objectives already.

Uh... it wouldn't let me join anyone's game. I have 10+ people on my FL playing BC2 and it won't let me join any. That was right after it reset my stats again.

1stStrike

Banned
I ate lunch and took my dog out. Hopping on for a few more hours and then I'm gonna eat dinner and work out - then play some more and go to bed. Working 56 hours the next 5 days so I'm getting in all the BC2 I can :p

TheSeks

And stats are fucking up again. :|

I can see my shit, but I can't have it in games. WTF and SMH DICE. :|

1stStrike

Banned
It comes back after a while. I got all my shit back. Fersis is the same way as you atm.

That team was just terrible on atacama desert. So fucking boring... just waiting and waiting as the tickets slowly decrease and not a single mcom is taken.

TheSeks

I think Memory is the server's ragequit charm.

"12 GAF playing? KICK THEM ALL OUT"

Happens as soon as he joins and we steamroll his team. :|

1stStrike

Banned
I left. Harvest Day is such a garbage map. Every time it comes up the server lags to shit and it's unplayable. Plus, half my team left and I was against mostly gaffers. Lag + all gaffers = no fun.

abuC

The harvest day defense is hilarious, we're rushing out to meet them and just shutting them down on the first crate. We had them trapped in their spawn and it was 12 vs 12 :lol

you_shall_not_pass.jpg

...Well. That was a depressing night of BC2. Lol. I can't hit and/or see anything. I've been downgraded to Standard Def, sooo blurry, I can barely make out what I'm shooting at most of the time.

Tonight was a terrible night period.

TheSeks

LOOOOOL that whole team left with the chopper whores after we crushed them in Oasis Rush. Fucking hate the anti-air, I wish it was VADS. >:|

Evolved1

TheSeks said:
LOOOOOL that whole team left with the chopper whores after we crushed them in Oasis Rush. Fucking hate the anti-air, I wish it was VADS. >:|

Rock jumped on the AA gun... I had to constantly repair it as we were getting hammered just to take down that circle strafer. The guy eventually killed me, but I kept the gun up long enough for Rock to take him out. From there we just handled them. :lol

Got 4 more mine kills too! One more for the insignia and my next level woo hoo!

1stStrike

Banned
I had some good (and bad) games after I left. A couple of highlights tonight was when I was on arica harbor and abuc was in the tank. I threw C4 on it, he hopped out and then I hopped in and drove off with it :lol

After I left the GAF games I played a bit of conquest. There was one part where I mowed down 5 dudes with my 870 combat and pistol all in a row on laguna presa. Had a really awesome game of rush playing with tkawesome but then my fucking game froze as soon as we won, so I have no idea what my stats were.

Ended up going to do some vietnam with ogre123 after that (no PBR glitchers either!). The team we were on was total garbage. I kept coming out with shit tons of points but it didn't really seem to make much of a difference with my team sucking. We did win a couple, though. I forgot how much the XM22 rapes. Mowed down groups of 3 - 5 people with ease with that thing and was taking out snipers and shit. So many points.

Overall, pretty satisfying night for myself, but I was plagued with garbage teams throughout. So, while my k/d ratio improved, my w/l ratio definitely suffered.

Ogre123

Neo Member
I really had a good time with it tonight. Even the games we lost, I was having a great time. I probably dynamited 20 tanks tonight.

My biggest fail was on Hastings. The chopper was sitting there for a minute with no one in it, so I took it even though i'm not super hot at flying it. My squadmate Jed spawns in, and another guy or two hops on too. Jed says something about this chopper is pretty packed.

Not 20 seconds into our flight, I accidentally eject myself without warning anyone else at a low altitude hauling ass. I was laughing so hard, I couldn't even explain it over the mic to Jed and Strike what I had done.

Servers were awesome. No disconnects or anything, if the teams got out of whack, they balanced out in about 5 minutes. Strike mentioned lag a couple of times, but my connection felt great the whole time.

Blizzard

Banned
Ogre123 said:
I really had a good time with it tonight. Even the games we lost, I was having a great time. I probably dynamited 20 tanks tonight.

My biggest fail was on Hastings. The chopper was sitting there for a minute with no one in it, so I took it even though i'm not super hot at flying it. My squadmate Jed spawns in, and another guy or two hops on too. Jed says something about this chopper is pretty packed.

Not 20 seconds into our flight, I accidentally eject myself without warning anyone else at a low altitude hauling ass. I was laughing so hard, I couldn't even explain it over the mic to Jed and Strike what I had done.

Servers were awesome. No disconnects or anything, if the teams got out of whack, they balanced out in about 5 minutes. Strike mentioned lag a couple of times, but my connection felt great the whole time.
On PC I've probably done it 2-3 times, though thankfully as a passenger. I will spend all that time waiting for the helicopter, get in with a squadmate or whatever, get partway to the target, and then hit E while thinking of zoom or spotting, bam, parachuting down to death. :lol

It looks like I have all the sniper unlocks now except maybe other guns. I just got the M-95, and either I instantly became terrible as a sniper, or that gun is actually pretty terrible. Using the GOL I got what was probably my first positive K/D ratio and was at the top of the scoreboard a few maps earlier. Maybe the lack of accuracy is what hurts so much with the M-95, in addition to it being so slow. It's not like you need extra power since the GOL magnum kills with headshots anyway, and the M-95 bodyshots don't seem to kill.

M-95 just suck ass. It's a slow ass M24 to me. Rebolting speed is king for bolt action sniper rifles to me. I would switch to GOL, but I already have 700+ kills with the M24. One day I might get plat.

Top Bottom