• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 |OT2| See, Spot, Run

TheSeks said:
*points to ears* No hearie. EG: Cripple.

That's fine, man. I joined Evolved and the others squad so it's cool.

Oh I didnt know that. News to me. Ive always wondered how it is playing games (moreso this kind which has a lot of sound cues) like that.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Razor210 said:
I'm sorry, what?

GodHandEdit.jpg

(BTW, GodHand sucks and I still have five chapters to complete to beat it. One of Clovers worse games, and that's due to the shitty controls/mechanics. It could've been awesome.)

Anyway, what useless moppets. Sitting at the base while Dream and I do work with Memory and Yeti to clear the first base. After that, they have a helicopter... after I steal it and fly to A. Arm, disarmed (SMH), armed again. Run to B while the rest of GAF spawn where I was. B is armed by useless moppets. They steal the chopper of the defense and then it's useless base rape as we go to town on the last two sets.

God, Oasis is horrible without the VADS. :lol

TheSeks

*facepalmepic.jpg*

Yeti, Yeti, Yeti... what is RULE NUMBER ONE OF DRIVING THE TANK?

YOU DIE WITH THE FUCKING TANK. You DON'T BAIL ON THE TANK. Because then the enemy can STEAL IT LIKE NOW. :|

And we lose because of the defense spreading out and I can't hit the broadside of a barn on the gunner pinging the Blackhawk. God. At least I took B. :|

TheSeks said:
*facepalmepic.jpg*

YOU DIE WITH THE FUCKING TANK. You DON'T BAIL ON THE TANK. Because then the enemy can STEAL IT LIKE NOW. :|

And we lose because of the defense spreading out and I can't hit the broadside of a barn on the gunner pinging the Blackhawk. God. At least I took B. :|

:lol

My bad! My initial response to a dying tank is to bail and start fixing it. But now I know that I shouldn't do that. Sorry bro. :(

That match was bonkers anyway. There was this annoying fool who kept jumping around and I could never kill him. >.<

Calion

TheSeks said:
*facepalmepic.jpg*

I only bail on the tank when it's health is <4HP (And if a C4'er is charging me of course). That way, I bail out, toss a grenade at the tank when I know they hopped in, and watch the lols.

TheSeks

Does the grenade actually put a dent on something? Because I throw grenades all a time and the tank is barely harmed by it.

I'd rather the person driving the tank "go down the ship" than bail, have the enemy steal it, randoms not fire at it and they repair and then use it against us.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
TheSeks said:
Does the grenade actually put a dent on something? Because I throw grenades all a time and the tank is barely harmed by it.

I'd rather the person driving the tank "go down the ship" than bail, have the enemy steal it, randoms not fire at it and they repair and then use it against us.

You can finish off a limping tank with a grenade... I've done it quite a few times to a Bradley... but not too many times to the big tanks. It's possible though.

Personally... I go down with the ship unless I see a rocket mid-flight that I know is gonna destroy the tank.

Calion

TheSeks said:

I believe it takes off 4-5HP. It's worked for me a couple of times. Either that, or you can rig your own tank with one C4 on the back of it. That tactic has some odd uses.

TheSeks

Calion82v said:
I believe it takes off 4-5HP. It's worked for me a couple of times. Either that, or you can rig your own tank with one C4 on the back of it. That tactic has some odd uses.

I wouldn't trust the C4. Rocket hits the back = 2x damage or a stray bullet detonation.

For the new post:

Yeti said:
My bad! My initial response to a dying tank is to bail and start fixing it. But now I know that I shouldn't do that. Sorry bro. :(

There's times when to do that. If you're in the middle of enemy territory, THAT ISN'T THE TIME.

Generally, if you're the only engineer (notice the status/spawn screen before someone gets in a tank), get out and repair it. Unless the other person bails. However, generally it's the tank drivers job to keep the tank firing/hassle. The gunner gets out unless they're parked/camping a spot and taking fools out. Then the driver gets out and repairs.

Generally, though: If the tank is damaged, I'll back up, get out and repair it if I have a gunner. If I don't, I generally go into "fuck it, we're all gonna die. SATAN GUIDE MY TANK.jpg" on the enemy. Even if I die, I'll generally have them focused on me to where the rest of the team can get in.

Really, though, that team sucked. We couldn't get up there and they'd stick around for the blackhawk which wouldn't do much good unless the crate was armed and it wasn't being pinged. The defense was way better and had me locked down after me/you went to play "don't touch the water" on the edge of the map and hold B (only to get C4'ed because I couldn't hear/didn't notice the recon) which we took.

Really, I'm not one to talk as me and the rest of GAF will get out of a tank when we're the only person in the tank. However, I generally only do it if I know I'm not being fired at/enemies are around and I'm near the base to back up into cover and repair it.

You can finish off a limping tank with a grenade... I've done it quite a few times to a Bradley... but not too many times to the big tanks. It's possible though.

Yeah, I've done it a few times to where I throw a grenade and it doesn't put a sizable dent on it. Same for the grenade launcher, which is weird as the blooper will take mini-RPG chunks off the tanks in Vietnam. :|

Evolved1

Calion82v said:

I can't get behind that... maybe if it was an ATV... but a tank in the right hands is usually good for at least 10 kills and often many more. Sacrificing it for two at the most seems an unwise trade-off.

The absolute worst offense in Battlefield games is wasting vehicles. We all do it, intentional or not, but it's the worst thing one can do. (Apart from blowing up one's own coms or something stupid like that)

Razor210

TheSeks said:
*facepalmepic.jpg*

I will argue that if you are stranded, are not an engineer, and no one is capable of coming to your aid, and your tank is a grenade away from death...it is a completely legitimate tactic to destroy your tank and move on.

But generally, yes, when you get into a vehicle, you're committed to it.

TheSeks

recklessmind said:
The absolute worst offense in Battlefield games is wasting vehicles. We all do it, intentional or not, but it's the worst thing one can do. (Apart from blowing up one's own coms or something stupid like that)

What's hilarious is that Yeti and others get in the blackhawk when I planned to just dump it and explode it after arming B on the lighthouse. They get in, we're being pinged all over. I land the blackhawk and miss the gunner, someone takes him out. I'm lifting off to get air again, and somehow roadkill/rub against the stationary AT dude that got on a second before and didn't have time to fire him.

So that's my first Blackhawk roadkill. Only leaves a Hin-D for a roadkill with all the helicopters, I think. :lol :lol

I will argue that if you are stranded, are not an engineer, and no one is capable of coming to your aid, and your tank is a grenade away from death...it is a completely legitimate tactic to destroy your tank and move on.

If you're able to put a dent on it. G.Launcher doesn't put very much damage on it, neither does grenades. It's possible, but it's better if you go down with the tank.

You could C4 it, but that requires getting out, turning to the tank while selecting the C4 and laying it and suicide/getting out of dodge. But that's risky as a knife/hail of bullets and tank steal could happen.

Again: Safest way to make sure they don't get it is to not bail on it, and to salute the tank and your life if you did your job of harassing the enemy to focus on you.

Evolved1

Blackhawk has become my absolute favorite vehicle... intentionally wasting it is sacrilege! :lol

Edit: kinda wish stats were tracked on the BH... sometimes my gunner's get 30+ kills on maps like the Val. but there's no reflection of that in my stats other than a boost in ppm.

Calion

TheSeks said:
I wouldn't trust the C4. Rocket hits the back = 2x damage or a stray bullet detonation.

Like I said, the C4 tactic has some interesting uses. Half the time your tank blows up due to 0HP, it counts as a suicide on your part. It's interesting. If I ever use that tactic again, I make sure to back the fuck out of harm's way and warm others. :lol

TheSeks

recklessmind said:
Blackhawk has become my absolute favorite vehicle... intentionally wasting it is sacrilege! :lol

I only generally sacrifice it if I need a quick transport/playing with randoms. If I'm playing with GAF, I generally will try my damndest to keep the thing in the air and hassling people as long as possible.

Just in Yeti's case, I was trying to speed cap B so I could rush to A and arm it and (hopefully) the randoms would storm the hill and my life wouldn't have been in vain. Too bad that wasn't the case. :/

Meh, that's being a dick and not letting the person have a kill. I would rather them have it for getting me than steal their kill/credit for getting me.

I haven't done Jihad Humvee as often as I did pre-nerf, I wonder if they've fixed the paper-mache HP of it to where landing a jump on Arica's hill (you know the one) on suicide bomb runs won't auto-suicide you because the game decides to clip you into the ground and then raise--DETONATE THE C4! >:|

Evolved1

TheSeks said:
I only generally sacrifice it if I need a quick transport/playing with randoms. If I'm playing with GAF, I generally will try my damndest to keep the thing in the air and hassling people as long as possible.

Just in Yeti's case, I was trying to speed cap B so I could rush to A and arm it and (hopefully) the randoms would storm the hill and my life wouldn't have been in vain. Too bad that wasn't the case. :/

Well honestly I think transport is really its intended purpose... it's just that if you're far enough away, with flares equipped, and do a little creative rocket dodging... the thing becomes a hovering platform of death and bitter tears. :lol

Sometimes I wonder if it's worse that circle strafers... and it seems not many people take the sit, hover, dodge approach.

People fly it around the base in circles... it's just not as effective that way unless you have a sick gunner. But put a decent gunner on a stable platform and it's quite effective. I just haven't learned how to keep two gunners occupied at once though. I'm still working on that.

Transport choppers are lucky I don't bother shooting it down anymore. They always serve as bait for flankers which is why I don't.

Seks is right on the tank issue. Die with your tank. There are times when you make mistakes, but just don't bail on it all the time. There were times I make stupid mistakes and the enemy got the tank for a minute. It doesn't happen often though. I got good squad support inside as a gunner (Evolve,dan,Seks,and anybody who is in my squad).

TheSeks

Huh? Not shooting it down = flankers if they aren't noticed dropping from the sky.

I don't get what you mean.

Works in both ways. I got a good eye on choppers. If a guy bails and he's spotted it's probably by me.

It's an outdated habit of mines because pre-c4 nerf the opposing team used the chopper to distract my team a lot and 1 shot the M-coms. It happened so many times my gameplay style shifted.

TheSeks

Meh, I rather shoot them down and have them stalled for a minute than harass. However, if it's a shitty blackhawk circling the base in rush (like that Port Valadez game tonight), I'd rather say "fuck it" to them and just take their base in seconds while they dick around in the helicopter.

TheSeks

When I'm defense, I'd rather take them out to avoid them taking out useful cover for the team. If it's on attack/rush, I'd rather just ignore the chopper if it's shitty firing/not being devastation as that means less people on the ground to take the crates.

Generally, though, I'll fire and destroy them all if I have a chance. :lol

Got my first piece of hate-mail tonight: "Fuck off, you sad fuck.":lol

It was on Vantage point, defending first set. I went recon, which I never do on that map, with the SVD and used a perch, above the wooden structure right of alpha, that I copied from watching Faceless. Was doing ok, but kept getting killed by guys with the M40, so I switched to that too and started doing work, felt fucking amazing. That spot is awesome and gives you a complete view of their spawn but you don't last very long up there.

I have a bad habit of only bailing on the tank when I see "000" on the HUD.

I say it's a bad habit cause I feel extra stupid when I bail and die a second later from the explosion anyway (instead of feeling my death is a worthy sacrifice....)

recklessmind said:
People fly it around the base in circles... it's just not as effective that way unless you have a sick gunner. But put a decent gunner on a stable platform and it's quite effective. I just haven't learned how to keep two gunners occupied at once though. I'm still working on that.

I wish there was a way for the pilot to tell which gunner is getting the kills on the blackhawk >.>...I don't want to say "dude the other gunner sucks, switch to my side", but you should get the message when one guy is firing like crazy but you see no +50s.

TheSeks said:

I probably make a bad teammate. :lol

I'm still learning the ropes, so please give me slack. ;)

One thing I know I've got to work on is trying not to be a lone-wolf. I'm so used to playing that role because that's usually how I play other shooters like Call of Duty and Halo. Another thing I have a bad tendency to do is only worry about killing people rather than actually going for the objectives. I think I'm getting better though. It will just take time. :D

-Yeti said:

One thing I know I've got to work on is trying not to be a lone-wolf. I'm so used to playing that role because that's usually how I play other shooters like Call of Duty and Halo. Another thing I have a bad tendency to do is only worry about killing people rather than actually going for the objectives. I think I'm getting better though. It will just take time. :D

You do have a tendency to run lone-wolf as an assault (where's Yeti?), but I still see you doing your regular repair/engineer jobs well.

As long as you don't run off lone-wolfing only to knife someone/camp, you're okay in my book.:D

Dreamgazer said:
You do have a tendency to run lone-wolf as an assault (where's Yeti?), but I still see you doing your regular repair/engineer jobs well.

As long as you don't run off lone-wolfing only to knife someone/camp, you're okay in my book.:D

Sweet! :D

Speaking of knifing, I really don't like it. Sometimes I'm right behind someone and I have the perfect opportunity to knife them. I push the knife button, the animation kicks in and it appears that my knife went through their back.... but they don't die? They then proceed to turn around and execute a perfect knife kill on me. :(

It's happened a few times before, so I pretty much just gave up on knifing. :lol

Evolved1

-Yeti said:
Sweet! :D

Speaking of knifing, I really don't like it. Sometimes I'm right behind someone and I have the perfect opportunity to knife them. I push the knife button, the animation kicks in and it appears that my knife went through their back.... but they don't die? They then proceed to turn around and execute a perfect knife kill on me. :(

It's happened a few times before, so I pretty much just gave up on knifing. :lol

xiSdo.gif

How are you guys finding vanilla at the moment in terms of clearing out servers? I'm in a social gaming clan (similar to the guys who wear GAF tags really) playing on the new Australian servers, and every time we squad up we end up up spawn raping (in conquest) or sitting waiting for attackers to leave their initial spawn (in rush). This happens after only a handful of games, and it's happening every fucking time. I don't know if it's the case that all of the good players have moved to Vietnam, or if Aussie randoms are just really bad, but it's abysmal.

We've agreed to split our guys now so that they're on both teams to avoid it, is that something GAF has to do?

Daigoro

ok dudes, advice needed.

ive got exactly one more achievement from the base game left to get, and i would love to knock it out before the big grind on the SPECACT and Vietnam achievements. guessed which one it is yet? Demolition Man of course.

looks like i have 6 now. pleasantly surprised at that actually.:lol

so what are some good ways of finishing off these last fourteen 2.0 kills? mortars, c4, tanks?

any advice on specific levels to play on, classes, etc would be appreciated. id love to put this one to bed for good this week.

thanks.

there are many scenarios where it's ok not to die in the tank, but they still don't come close to the amount where you should. and yeah, if you're in or near the enemy base, die in the tank.

TheSeks said:

a grenade does like 4-8 damage to a tank depending on where it hits and armor/exp spec.

Dreamgazer said:
I wish there was a way for the pilot to tell which gunner is getting the kills on the blackhawk >.>...I don't want to say "dude the other gunner sucks, switch to my side", but you should get the message when one guy is firing like crazy but you see no +50s.
they can tell if they pay attention. if not, they suck as a pilot! 2nd seat is your right side gunner, 3rd is on your left side. whoever's name is popping up as killing dudes, favor their side. it's not hard for them to figure out!

bean breath said:
Got my first piece of hate-mail tonight: "Fuck off, you sad fuck.":lol

It was on Vantage point, defending first set. I went recon, which I never do on that map, with the SVD and used a perch, above the wooden structure right of alpha, that I copied from watching Faceless. Was doing ok, but kept getting killed by guys with the M40, so I switched to that too and started doing work, felt fucking amazing. That spot is awesome and gives you a complete view of their spawn but you don't last very long up there.
yeah, that spot is awesome, did you see the spot in the hills to the side of A/B on Cao Son CQ?

TheSeks said:
I haven't done Jihad Humvee as often as I did pre-nerf, I wonder if they've fixed the paper-mache HP of it to where landing a jump on Arica's hill (you know the one) on suicide bomb runs won't auto-suicide you because the game decides to clip you into the ground and then raise--DETONATE THE C4! >:|
just pump the brake/reverse right before the crest of the hill. it stops you from flying off.

-Yeti said:

sometimes, not killing people is a great tactic. many times i have snuck into a great position behind enemy lines and just let people walk by, waiting for my squad to spawn or a vehicle, or a better opportunity to arm a crate, etc...

endlessflood said:
How are you guys finding vanilla at the moment in terms of clearing out servers? I'm in a social gaming clan (similar to the guys who wear GAF tags really) playing on the new Australian servers, and every time we squad up we end up up spawn raping (in conquest) or sitting waiting for attackers to leave their initial spawn (in rush). This happens after only a handful of games, and it's happening every fucking time. I don't know if it's the case that all of the good players have moved to Vietnam, or if Aussie randoms are just really bad, but it's abysmal.

We've agreed to split our guys now so that they're on both teams to avoid it, is that something GAF has to do?
that happens in Vietnam and Vanilla! i play with GAF, Dr. and RK1 peeps on 360 and it doesn't matter if it's Vanilla or Vietnam, Rush or CQ, stuff like that just happens when too many of us are on the same side.

Crakatak187 said:
You can still be lone wolf and be a team player. I consider myself a lone wolf. I still help watch my squad's back from a distance.
same here.

Daigoro said:
ok dudes, advice needed.

ive got exactly one more achievement from the base game left to get, and i would love to knock it out before the big grind on the SPECACT and Vietnam achievements. guessed which one it is yet? Demolition Man of course.

so what are some good ways of finishing off these last fourteen 2.0 kills? mortars, c4, tanks?

any advice on specific levels to play on, classes, etc would be appreciated. id love to put this one to bed for good this week.

thanks.
keep blowing stuff up? i dunno what advice i can give other than D2.0 objective buildings whenever you have the chance. i've got 130 on 360 and 117 on PS3, and most of them weren't explicitly planned, they just happened because i was blowing shit up.

olimpia84

Daigoro said:
ok dudes, advice needed.

thanks.

I think there is an easy way to get this by doing some glitch in Nelson Bay Conquest. I've never done it but I read some comments of people doing it so you might want to google that glitch.

TheSeks

Crakatak187 said:
plus the ass kicking.

It's defintely this. I've had you guys join me when a bunch of randoms can't help me break through, suddenly we're rolling/pushing crates down left and right and the enemy team ragequits out of fear.

keep blowing stuff up? i dunno what advice i can give other than D2.0 objective buildings whenever you have the chance. i've got 130 on 360 and 117 on PS3, and most of them weren't explicitly planned, they just happened because i was blowing shit up.

This, just keep destroying things. If you're going to "do work" on getting them/grinding them out, go to White Pass Conquest and Arica Harbor Conquest and Assault C4 buildings. If you have a recon teammate, have them throw/spam motion mines and you guys can boobie trap buildings for fun and profit. There's also a glitch if your friend is on the enemy team and you can get credits for their suicide, but that's dishonorable and I got mine the honorable way doing C4 assault on White Pass for a day.

Ikuu said:
Are you really surprised that people don't want to play with stacked teams?

:lol :lol :lol :lol "Stacked teams" :lol :lol :lol :lol

Dude, GAF generally rolls deep and hard on 12 vs 12. We roll them five times with little to no sweat because they decide to NOT FUCKING ATTACK AND SIT IN THEIR SPAWN. Then they rage quit because we decide to attack and basically roll them down like bowling pins.

It ain't "stacked teams" when we join a full game and proceed to kick peoples asses because they don't decide to play the game. If it was like PC and we were all joining one side and not the other, then sure, you'd have a point.

TheSeks

The Faceless Master said:
i'm surprised at how many people play the game and ignore the objectives, be it crates or flags.

DINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDING, WE HAVE A WINNER.

BTW, Do you want to play BC1 this we--Oh, wait. :( ;______;

Daigoro said:
ok dudes, advice needed.

Arica Harbor Conquest.
There aren't enough houses on nelson bay to try your luck on...while there will always be a crap load of campers on arica.

Personally I use Recon-Mortar with explosive damage perk.
However, you may want to consider C4 if you're not that good with mortars (or want it quick)

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Finally got to serve a tour in Vietnam this weekend on PSN. Good times!

I am looking for PSN brethren to play with (BFBC2 or Vietnam).

Daigoro

thanks for the tips. ill just keep grindng it out. didnt get shit for 2.0 today. not my strong suit.

i did get 8 mcoms cooked in a 4v4 rush game today, so that kept me busy.

ill try some c4 and mortars on Arica tomorrow. thanks.

abuC

I think of myself as a lone wolf, with my wolf-pack looking for hookers and cocaine somewhere else, but we're all going to the same party.

As for bailing on tanks, I do it when I hear C4 being attached to it, I try to kill the guy whos throwing it on there before he detonates.

The Faceless Master said:
yeah, that spot is awesome, did you see the spot in the hills to the side of A/B on Cao Son CQ?

Haven't been able to get up there in rush, I try and get stuck, think i'm taking the wrong path. Not sure if it's better suited to attacking or defending because of the out of bounds.

Are we taking about the same spot? The cliff face over looking the walled temple at the last set?

TheSeks

You know, it's kinda sad when I'm the only person on the other team and I'm dicking around sniping and getting second in points. Team sucks.

SERVERS FULL EVERYWHERE.

Join Calion. Get invited by Abu. Server updates slowly, SERVER IS FULL. "Okay, I'll just rejoin Cal-"SERVER IS FULL.

Hey, DICE: FUCK YOU. Update my fucking stats LATER.

Top Bottom