• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 |OT2| See, Spot, Run

No_Style said:
Good games Renderman. Those second last game on Arica Harbor was intense. My K/D was poor for that round, but I ran around trying desperately to cover important areas with motion sensors.

Good games No_Style. Yah that Arica harbor game was intense. I appreciate you throwing those sensors around. I think you were the one of the few besides me when I was a recon at times throwing sensors around.

TheSeks said:
Ah, you joined his game. Good. I bailed when everyone else was in Rush and there was actually 10-11 players in it. Then we steamrolled and cleared the server. In fact, I was downright ruthless and had 20+ KDR rounds (20 kills 0-1 deaths) at times. I felt bad leaving him and tried to invite him when we had space.

I forgot how much my BFF AN-94 is a markmen weapon.

No worries Sek, I joined when the round was over and see what was going on. You guys had a good defense on isla. I stayed for a lil bit and see what was going on and then went back to join NoStyle since you guys had that locked down.

No_Style

I was so close to abandoning that game too since I saw 2 or 3 Recons sitting back sniping on our side, but I'm so glad we stayed for the reinforcements and that push back.

BFBC2 is weird with adding players to the servers. They always come in bunches.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Calion82v said:

I know right? When Abu or JM are flying I come running. :lol

Evolved can fly the Blackhawk decently when he's not autopiloting it. >:|

1stStrike said:
Why the fuck does anyone play Vietnam anymore? This shit is garbage.

It's not really garbage. I don't mind the maps and weapons. But it can be lopsided at times. It's a decent diversion from BC2 Vanilla when I want to see randoms fail at using iron sights. :lol Where's your red-dot or ACOG crutch now, bitch?!

Jas

abuC said:
I think Im going to hang up my wings for a bit, nearly everytime I fly I get the frostbite freeze, this time it was when I had a fully loaded blackhawk so I hope it didn't crash and kill everyone when I got the boot.

Nah, landed in the water behind B and we ended up setting and getting it. Seems to happen to me more in blackhawks than the other choppers not sure if that's just a coincidence or not.

good games everyone! lots of hilarious moments, and it seemed like matchmaking was actually working this evening! full games 90% of the time!

1stStrike said:
Why the fuck does anyone play Vietnam anymore? This shit is garbage.
Vietnam is lots of fun! well, except for the paper choppers...

UFRA

TheSeks said:
I know right? When Abu or JM are flying I come running. :lol

This reminds me. Port Valdez. I stole the enemy Apache and then you hopped in and just ate them alive as my gunner. Nice shooting. :p

I wanted to explain what happened at the end, in case you were like "WTF is JM doing?"

Basically, I realized we won the game, and in a couple seconds the final M-COM would blow up and the round would be over. So, I decided to do a nice chopper-pose for the camera once the end game cinematic started.

That's why I just flew up and started hovering right at the end.

The best part about this, undoubtedly, was that right at the very LAST second someone fired a rocket at us, but the game ended before it hit us. So, in the ending cinematic, we see the Apache doing a beautiful pose for the camera and then it gets shot out of the sky. :lol

We all cracked up on the mics over that.

The Faceless Master said:
good games everyone! lots of hilarious moments, and it seemed like matchmaking was actually working this evening! full games 90% of the time!

Yeah, we had a tiny bit of competition tonight, so that always makes things interesting. Full matches always help. Looks like more people have been joining up lately, which is awesome. For a game that will be almost a year old in a couple months, the community between all platforms is still really solid here on GAF.

And Vietnam is awesome and pretty much all 360 GAF has been playing lately. I think it is a really nice change from vanilla BC2 and just what I needed to get me back into the game.

TheSeks

UFRA said:
I wanted to explain what happened at the end, in case you were like "WTF is JM doing?"

Basically, I realized we won the game, and in a couple seconds the final M-COM would blow up and the round would be over. So, I decided to do a nice chopper-pose for the camera once the end game cinematic started.

The best part about this, undoubtedly, was that right at the very LAST second someone fired a rocket at us, but the game ended before it hit us. So, in the ending cinematic, we see the Apache doing a beautiful pose for the camera and then it gets shot out of the sky. :lol

Oh, you stopped moving? I spawned on you after death and was all "ENEMY CHOPPER GUNNER IS ONLINE *mow mow mow mow mow mow*"

I did see us fall out of the sky and suicide/splat in the end-game camera. lol.

UFRA said:
This reminds me. Port Valdez. I stole the enemy Apache and then you hopped in and just ate them alive as my gunner. Nice shooting. :p

omg cameos are infecting PS3 too!

"OMG! Stop reviving me! I don't have any bullets left!"

"Don't revive me, man! I wanted to switch kits."
- "Then kill someone and take theirs!"

Probably the funniest game for me so far, I think I gave myself a headache from laughing so much.

Isla is JM's training ground for AT4 chopper hunting. Kind of like Arica harbor is my tank training and hunting ground on defense.

That post was awesome. You were talking about it on the mic and we were waiting. The end result was so awesome because we didn't expect that result hahaha

I'm still trippy on that Nelson bay match. That was very weak. Props to Dan though. If it wasn't for him we would have lost the match. I spawned with around 8 lives left and ran through armed it and took out the defusers with my squad, the only part of the team that was near Bravo. We had that armed close to 4 times. Two of those arms could have gone off if the teammate near by actually looked at the M-COM he was near instead of hiding. The first time we armed it was just me and dan and none of the team came to our aim going after Alpha. You are suppose to go get Bravo first not alpha. Alpha is easy as hell to get. Once Alpha is gone the defenders swarm Bravo making it near impossible to get.

As Nathan Drake said in Uncharted Drake's Fortune after being shot by the anti aircraft, "This is so not cool".

I was about to get on the Chopper with JM but I gave the opposing team mercy and spared them. I hog JM's chopper too much. I love his elegent way of flying. The way JM flies you can really gun much easier, you don't have to jerk left and right constantly. JM flies with you in mind. In my opinion JM is the best chopper pilot on PS3 Gaf.

JM well deserves the nick name I dub him. JM the master of vehicles. For destruction of vehicles and control of them. Pretty much a jack of all trades for vehicles.

UFRA

Crakatak187 said:
Isla is JM's training ground for AT4 chopper hunting. Kind of like Arica harbor is my tank training and hunting ground on defense.

That post was awesome. You were talking about it on the mic and we were waiting. The end result was so awesome because we didn't expect that result hahaha

I'm still trippy on that Nelson bay match. That was very weak. Props to Dan though. If it wasn't for him we would have lost the match. I spawned with around 8 lives left and ran through armed it and took out the defusers with my squad, the only part of the team that was near Bravo. We had that armed close to 4 times. Two of those arms could have gone off if the teammate near by actually looked at the M-COM he was near instead of hiding. The first time we armed it was just me and dan and none of the team came to our aim going after Alpha. You are suppose to go get Bravo first not alpha. Alpha is easy as hell to get. Once Alpha is gone the defenders swarm Bravo making it near impossible to get.

As Nathan Drake said in Uncharted Drake's Fortune after being shot by the anti aircraft, "This is so not cool".

I was about to get on the Chopper with JM but I gave the opposing team mercy and spared them. I hog JM's chopper too much. I love his elegent way of flying. The way JM flies you can really gun much easier, you don't have to jerk left and right constantly. JM flies with you in mind. In my opinion JM is the best chopper pilot on PS3 Gaf.

I also think my airline serves the best drinks to passengers. TY sir. :p

You and Seks are my favorite gunners when it comes to any chopper. I think both of you know my style of flying very well and get a lot of kills accordingly. With any attack helicopter, I usually fly in a counter-clockwise circle strafe (not sure why, just feels comfortable lol). I assume you guys get the hang of this and know where to look for targets. I notice other people, especially some randoms, will be looking all over the place for targets and usually miss half of them because they're going against the flow of my circle.

Just tonight with Seks as my gunner he was picking people off left and right. And he pays attention to what I shoot at too. A couple times I only injured some guys with my rockets, and he finished them off since he noticed where I was shooting. It's so awesome to have people who complement a pilot's flying style rather than just hop in for the ride lol. It really makes the choppers that much more lethal. I can't even count the number of times we have dominated Atacama Desert, Isla on the final set, or Port Valdez with me as a pilot and you as a gunner, Crak. A while ago I even found that sneaky way of taking out the mobile AA gun on Port Valdez by going way low down to the water, popping up and then shooting it - meanwhile you'd pick off the guys trying to repair it or hop in. So much fun.

Are the Xbox servers down? I can't find a game in Vanilla or Vietnam at all right now. And where is the server status on their website gone?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I've platinumed my favorite two SMG's and now I don't know what to use... I hate all the others. The AKS is such a piece of crap after rolling the last couple months with the thumper.

DaFcY.png

:( You will be missed, friend.

The F2000 or VSS are my only rifles left I can count on... AN94 I still like too... but I'm a vehicle killer at heart. Guess it's time to go back to the 870.

TheSeks

omg cameos are infecting PS3 too!

:lol

I also think my airline serves the best drinks to passengers. TY sir. :p

Yeah, but my steak is cold. *anger and mows down enemy team because of it*

You and Seks are my favorite gunners when it comes to any chopper.

I'm good gunning in any vehicle, actually. Ask Dream or Evolved or 8bitGeorge who were flying the enemies helicopter in the ValParis over their spawn. Provided I have a good line of sight (and am not "locked" in positions) I can generally take down all comers in the helicopter provided I have a stable firing platform.

Evolves biggest problem with the blackhawk is that he'll stay around for a bit too long. Which is fine if I'm mowing people down left and right, but eventually one will get past my noticing and then I'm locked in the "forward/backward" position to where I can't hit them.

Tanks are another matter where if I see someone I can generally take them down. But then someone on GAF is playing it safe and they get behind cover and I'm all "*foams at the mouth* I NEED TO KILL THAT PERSON BEFORE THEY KILL US ARGH"

Driving I'm decent at in the tank, provided I don't get people that sneak by me. I can generally take a tank from start spawn all the way to the end of the game if I don't get overwhelmed with rockets and anti-tank (if I don't notice them) mines or sneakers.

Coldsnap

What was this update I just downloaded?

Also last night I landed a Huey, well sort crash landed, directly on top of a land mine. What are the chances?!

Evolved1

TheSeks said:
(and am not "locked" in positions) I can generally take down all comers in the helicopter provided I have a stable firing platform.

Evolves biggest problem with the blackhawk is that he'll stay around for a bit too long. Which is fine if I'm mowing people down left and right, but eventually one will get past my noticing and then I'm locked in the "forward/backward" position to where I can't hit them.

What exactly do you mean by this... I'm always trying to get better... but I don't really understand what you're saying here, so it's hard to make adjustments.

My understanding is that if I keep the blackhawk parallel to the enemy position and perpendicular to the gunner's 12 o'clock... that should give the gunner 180° of freedom to aim horizontally. Vertical aiming is similarly unrestricted, and even less so at distance.

For me the problems only arise when I have more than one gunner. My normal strategy keeps one gunner completely useless, so what I try to do (if I can't talk the other gunner into getting out of my chopper! haha) is put the nose of the bird at 12 o'clock. This gives both gunners an opportunity to shoot at the enemy. What's hard for me is judging the 12 o'clock blind spot that neither gunner can shoot at. I try to watch the stream of bullets from each gunner to make adjustments... but it's difficult. If I back up, both gunners can hit more but accuracy/effectiveness of each drops. If I move too much the same result. However... with two gunners I always put the nose between the crates. This means that no matter what, both crates can be fired on. So if someone arms, we can at least provide significant fire on each.

I like you as a gunner, #1 because you're good, but #2 because I know you generally run with the extra damage perk on vehicles.

And I really do hang in one spot too much, but that's the strategy I go with. I can cite numerous times where there are 4-5 enemy rockets in the air at the same time lol and I can generally dodge these. That's one pissed off team dude when they are that dead set on brining the bird down. That's an indication of a good gunner and lots of enemy deaths. If you can do this, imo, it makes it much easier for guys on the ground to take the objective. Especially when it's only two in the chopper and they can't touch us.

They hit me with a tracer... I pop flares. They cry.

My biggest weakness lately is getting sniped out of the pilot seat. But I can say the last couple times that happened I called the sniper out way before he finally tagged me. That was a communication issue... and frustrating enough to make me consider hanging up the wings for good. Once I stop equipping smoke as my vehicle perk, my piloting days are over and it's back to gunning support role. (I honestly ace more in that config. anyway)

TheSeks

recklessmind said:
What exactly do you mean by this... I'm always trying to get better... but I don't really understand what you're saying here, so it's hard to make adjustments.

My understanding is that if I keep the blackhawk parallel to the enemy position and perpendicular to the gunner's 12 o'clock... that should give the gunner 180° of freedom to aim horizontally. Vertical aiming is similarly unrestricted, and even less so at distance.

For me the problems only arise when I have more than one gunner. My normal strategy keeps one gunner completely useless, so what I try to do (if I can't talk the other gunner into getting out of my chopper! haha) is put the nose of the bird at 12 o'clock. This gives both gunners an opportunity to shoot at the enemy. What's hard for me is judging the 12 o'clock blind spot that neither gunner can shoot at. I try to watch the stream of bullets from each gunner to make adjustments... but it's difficult. If I back up, both gunners can hit more but accuracy/effectiveness of each drops. If I move too much the same result. However... with two gunners I always put the nose between the crates. This means that no matter what, both crates can be fired on. So if someone arms, we can at least provide significant fire on each.

I like you as a gunner, #1 because you're good, but #2 because I know you generally run with the extra damage perk on vehicles.

And I really do hang in one spot too much, but that's the strategy I go with. I can cite numerous times where there are 4-5 enemy rockets in the air at the same time lol and I can generally dodge these. That's one pissed off team dude when they are that dead set on brining the bird down. That's an indication of a good gunner and lots of enemy deaths. If you can do this, imo, it makes it much easier for guys on the ground to take the objective. Especially when it's only two in the chopper and they can't touch us.

They hit me with a tracer... I pop flares. They cry.

My biggest weakness lately is getting sniped out of the pilot seat. But I can say the last couple times that happened I called the sniper out way before he finally tagged me. That was a communication issue... and frustrating enough to make me consider hanging up the wings for good. Once I stop equipping smoke as my vehicle perk, my piloting days are over and it's back to gunning support role. (I honestly ace more in that config. anyway)

Keeping it at the 12 for you locks the blackhawk gunners in forward/backward on their 180. The problem becomes:

"ENEMY INFANTRY SPOTTED"
(tries to move forward/backward, is "locked" and can't hit the person I'm aiming at)
"GODDAMN IT EVO--(RPG!)"

It's the same in the attack choppers where the gunner is locked in a 35 degree angle (okay, maybe that small... 75?) and then the chopper pilot is moving left/right and I'm trying to fire in a 360 degree arc of death and doom, and I get locked and I have to swivel the gunner camera around to the locked left/right position of where I was to get back into view.

Being "locked" is probably the killer thing in my gunning, more so than shitty pilots that just fly around in circles and throw me off in my lead shots ("Oh, you're shooting to the left? I'M FLYING RIGHT SO YOU'RE GOING TO SHOOT TO THE NORTH OF THE LEFT NOW. LOLOLOLOLOL")

Honestly, in the blackhawk V Smoke isn't that useful. You can survive an RPG or two if you equip the V ARMOR perk in the pilot seat, it's useful on the last set of Valparis because someone will get up on the machine gun roof building and it gives the gunner(s) time to focus on <D 2.0>ing the building and you can go two-three bases back repair and rain death again.

I haven't seen tracers abused enough on the PS3 to where equipping V SMOKE outside of attack chopper dodging is useful. Besides, if you want to smoke someone have one of the people be assault, get out and hit the vehicle with a 40MM Smoke. V Armor/Alt/Warhead is more useful in the defense/damage/variety situations.

Sill4

Am I the only one who thinks the M1 in 'Nam is a piece of junk?

So many times I will unload some magnum into an enemy and they just run off or turn around and kill me.

Marvie_3

Banned
Red Dolphin said:
Are the Xbox servers down? I can't find a game in Vanilla or Vietnam at all right now. And where is the server status on their website gone?
I'm having this problem too. All I get is a neverending "searching for games" window.

Coldsnap said:
What was this update I just downloaded?

Also last night I landed a Huey, well sort crash landed, directly on top of a land mine. What are the chances?!
i've killed around a dozen choppers with AT Mines, so i wouldn't say the chances are that astronomical.

that one was a great moment though, it happened right in front of me.

Nameless

Marvie_3 said:
I'm having this problem too. All I get is a neverending "searching for games" window.

This was happening to me all day yesterday. Try exiting all the way out to the Dashboard and joining a recent player's session from there. Even if you get a game you don't want, it should let you find/join games normally, for a while atleast, afterwards. Repeat the process if/when you begin getting the 'no game found' message again.

This is bumming me out so bad. Just bought this game and I keep getting "No matches found". Are Dice/EA going to fix it? I just want to know they are at least looking into it..

Miggytronz

They said Friday that they were gonna start rolling out patches to their servers for the GLITCHES this weekend. Maybe lagging things up.

TheSeks

Sill4 said:
Gaf should do 1943 until BC gets patched.

Although, I can't fly planes for shit.

I don't mind this suggestion, but I'd have to redownload 2 gigs. That and Evolved and Fersis and Strike would bitch endlessly about the gameplay while I fly up into the air, stall the engine. Bail and 007 stabby-stabby people like I did two years ago. :lol

Evolved1

TheSeks said:
I don't mind this suggestion, but I'd have to redownload 2 gigs. That and Evolved and Fersis and Strike would bitch endlessly about the gameplay while I fly up into the air, stall the engine. Bail and 007 stabby-stabby people like I did two years ago. :lol

I just bought it a couple weeks ago... I think it's pretty terrible. There are fucking recons everywhere and no kill cam.

It's an exercise in frustration and I really hate it. I don't think you could pay me to play that shit.

The "couldn't find any games" error seems compounded if you are trying to join a party/squad or specific mode. I can sometimes, though not every time, join a random game individually and hope my party can follow me. I tried to join any type of game (rush, conquest, squad rush, etc.) last night for about a half-hour without success, then I cleared my cache and I immediately got into the next game. Might have been coincidence, but try that. You'll have to re-download a 4MB update, but who's to say that's not the problem?

I would love to play some vanilla rush with the GAF crew. That mode has been an exercise in frustration trying to play with just a few friends. I don't understand why camping randoms would choose that mode, as it's so much more strategic and team-oriented.

Sill4

adamsappel said:
The "couldn't find any games" error seems compounded if you are trying to join a party/squad or specific mode. I can sometimes, though not every time, join a random game individually and hope my party can follow me. I tried to join any type of game (rush, conquest, squad rush, etc.) last night for about a half-hour without success, then I cleared my cache and I immediately got into the next game. Might have been coincidence, but try that. You'll have to re-download a 4MB update, but who's to say that's not the problem?

I would love to play some vanilla rush with the GAF crew. That mode has been an exercise in frustration trying to play with just a few friends. I don't understand why camping randoms would choose that mode, as it's so much more strategic and team-oriented.
I tried to join you yesterday but I got the stupid "No Games Could Be Found".

Also, I'm going to come out and say it....Vietnam pales in comparison to Vanilla.

Evolved1

Sill4 said:
I tried to join you yesterday but I got the stupid "No Games Could Be Found".

Also, I'm going to come out and say it....Vietnam pales in comparison to Vanilla.

Less maps... weird weapon balance... floaty tanks... paper mache huey... choke points... not designed for conquest... Vantage Point.

It's got a lot going against it.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I havent been able to connect for a couple of days, i even tweeted zh1nt0 about it.
:(

Evolved1

TheSeks said:
So it's.... Battlefield before Bad Company 2? :p

One of the issues with 1943 I encountered that made recons extra annoying was lack of cover around flags. They could pick you off almost anywhere and there really isn't a counter at that range if you're assault or engineer.

I would eventually find the little bitch after being sniped three times and then not really be able to do anything... they'd win 1v1 at that range against my M1.

And there's no incentive for them to go after objectives. Snipers are often atop the scoreboard and they never have to get their hands dirty. Meanwhile I'm sitting at 0.3 k/d for trying to help the team take flags.

These impressions are based on my limited experience with the game. 6 or 7 matches maybe. All shitty.

abuC

Took me about 10 minutes to connect to a game, and when Dan sent me a squad invite it would say there were no games.

The game has been a hot ass mess since Vietnam came out.

battlefield moment #2937845014

in a rush to spawn first, i spawn in on operation hastings as a recon. d'oh! so, instead of getting the tank, i drop a C4 on the Huey and get in.

i take off and head straight for B as squad of randoms spawns in on me. one bails over A, i bail towards the roof of B, landing on the parapet (close one!) the chopper and the other squadmate sail to a safe landing on the other side of B. the lone huey passenger gets killed while running around the back of B.

the first guy arms A right as the Huey disappears from the minimap. i wait a few seconds then drop a mortar on A. right after i finish calling the mortar in, the other guy spawns on me on the roof. he hops down to go arm B. oh wait, the chopper, i detonate the C4. triple kill! 2 guys run towards A, the guy at A and i shoot at them, i kill one, he kills one.

B is armed! the guy at B kills a guy. i throw C4 over the ledge and detonate.
hit marker! kill assist! A explodes and the guy at A starts waking forward. he starts shooting under me, i throw my last Dynamite. Boom! kill! guy at B kills another dude and dies. kill assist! guy from A is more than halfway there now, he kills another guy. B explodes!

2nd and 3rd set were nowhere near as exciting as that...

recklessmind said:
Less maps... weird weapon balance... floaty tanks... paper mache huey... choke points... not designed for conquest... Vantage Point.

It's got a lot going against it.

and let's not forget the overuse of Creedence

Havok

Bought the Ultimate Edition today to jump back into the multiplayer...and matchmaking has been broken since a few hours after I started playing. Awesome, glad I spent money on your product, EA.

sk3tch

Well, I've tried to find games and quit out of the game multiple times now...appears the servers are borked. Can't get in (360). I guess I will play some CoD:BlOps.

Evolved1

dream you are a good pilot, you should fly more... fun gunning for you in the blackhawk on Isla.

after that oasis game I've pretty much come to terms with the fact I can't fly the AH's for shit. haha.

TheSeks

Neither can I. I can keep them up and harrass, but I can't strafe or fly worth a damn.

Try clearing your cache. It has worked for several friends of mine. Of course, that just meant we could join the base rape at Arica where everyone else on the team was a Recon who never once threw a motion mine or mortar. I'm always struggling between throwing them ammo for the resupply points, or popping smoke grenades at 'em.

battlefield moment #2937845014

in a rush to spawn first, i spawn in on operation hastings as a recon. d'oh! so, instead of getting the tank, i drop a C4 on the Huey and get in.

i take off and head straight for B as squad of randoms spawns in on me. one bails over A, i bail towards the roof of B, landing on the parapet (close one!) the chopper and the other squadmate sail to a safe landing on the other side of B. the lone huey passenger gets killed while running around the back of B.

the first guy arms A right as the Huey disappears from the minimap. i wait a few seconds then drop a mortar on A. right after i finish calling the mortar in, the other guy spawns on me on the roof. he hops down to go arm B. oh wait, the chopper, i detonate the C4. triple kill! 2 guys run towards A, the guy at A and i shoot at them, i kill one, he kills one.

B is armed! the guy at B kills a guy. i throw C4 over the ledge and detonate.
hit marker! kill assist! A explodes and the guy at A starts waking forward. he starts shooting under me, i throw my last Dynamite. Boom! kill! guy at B kills another dude and dies. kill assist! guy from A is more than halfway there now, he kills another guy. B explodes!

2nd and 3rd set were nowhere near as exciting as that...
Sounds like an awesome sequence faceless. These sort of moments are why I dislike crate damage and prefer crate arming as a mechanic... it makes life tough when you have useless randoms playing with you, but armed crates just provide so many of these adrenalin-charged moments that they're worth the tradeoff in my opinion.

I have to admit I haven't played a great deal of vanilla since they increased the crate health (or reduced C4 damage, whichever it was). Has crate bashing been largely abandoned now? I'm yet to see it in Vietnam.

Top Bottom