• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 |OT2| See, Spot, Run

Damn I hate Oasis with a passion.

PS3 gaf was playing like idiots on Isla. Not even pushing up and having the enemy push up because of a fucking chopper.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Crakatak187 said:
Damn I hate Oasis with a passion.

PS3 gaf was playing like idiots on Isla. Not even pushing up and having the enemy push up because of a fucking chopper.

The chopper was the problem more than pushing up. I kept nearly taking it out, get hit by them. They fly off and repair.

Level 50 chopper whores are the problem.

The team as a whole was disappointing really. Hardly anymore moved up at all and the enemy started to push towards our spawn. With the chopper at our asses.

If nobody moves forward the enemy will move forward and that section is a 2 way bottleneck so that's the thing not to do. With the enemy up the odds of sneaking past is extremely low.

The safest way to get into their base is using the Bradley, but the Bradley was camping in the spawn trying to take out the chopper.

Dice should really make attack choppers vulnerable to firearms.

abuC

Some excellent games tonight, played for about 3 hours against the same clan, they beat us maybe 3 times out of 10 games, but most of the time we eeked out the wins with a few tickets left when we attacked. There were about 12 level 50 players total, and it was basically 6 on each side.

http://bfbcs.com/stats_ps3/HIJIKI1128

Was on the other team, and the "ACID" clan.

TheSeks

Crakatak187 said:
Dice should really make attack choppers vulnerable to firearms.

This is what I want. At the least the machine guns/anti-air that's shitty and not VADS should be tearing though them. It takes me about two-five minutes if the enemy is dumbasses and don't fly away/kill me and continue to fly on the stationary guns. Stupid.

That Oasis Defense was pretty bad. Not because of our team, but because they'd bring the tanks in the snipe (thereby having us have to focus on the tanks) but to reach the tanks, we need to get out of cover. BUT WAIT! THERE'S A CIRCLING LEVEL 50 CHOPPER WHORE that snuck by me and the anti-air barely dented even with WARHEAD equipped because of them moving faster than I can swivel and leading my shots only 1-2 hit markers at a time.

Stupid. As soon as Ilsa Attack pushed to the last set, I knew their asses was going to be in the chopper and be a problem. That was my breaking point for the night.

If they made the choppers suspect to smallarms/normal gun fire, people would bitch. But without it, people bitch about them moving too agile/fast and being annoying when they circle strafe. There really is no winning with the helicopters. But DICE needs to take a look at the choppers on consoles in terms of gameplay and rebalance for BF3. It doesn't need to be Huey "flying coffin" HP, but it does need to be balanced to where it isn't some death incarnate if you don't have an anti-air option (of which there is very few in vanilla BC2).

Jas

abuC said:
Some excellent games tonight, played for about 3 hours against the same clan, they beat us maybe 3 times out of 10 games, but most of the time we eeked out the wins with a few tickets left when we attacked. There were about 12 level 50 players total, and it was basically 6 on each side.

Those were fun. It looked like both sides enjoyed it since hardly anyone left.

abuC

Jas said:
Those were fun. It looked like both sides enjoyed it since hardly anyone left.

Yeah it was great, they were always attacking and moving towards the crates. They never won when attacking, just stone walled us a few times.

abuC

TheSeks said:
This is what I want. At the least the machine guns/anti-air that's shitty and not VADS should be tearing though them. It takes me about two-five minutes if the enemy is dumbasses and don't fly away/kill me and continue to fly on the stationary guns. Stupid.

That Oasis Defense was pretty bad. Not because of our team, but because they'd bring the tanks in the snipe (thereby having us have to focus on the tanks) but to reach the tanks, we need to get out of cover. BUT WAIT! THERE'S A CIRCLING LEVEL 50 CHOPPER WHORE that snuck by me and the anti-air barely dented even with WARHEAD equipped because of them moving faster than I can swivel and leading my shots only 1-2 hit markers at a time.

Stupid. As soon as Ilsa Attack pushed to the last set, I knew their asses was going to be in the chopper and be a problem. That was my breaking point for the night.

If they made the choppers suspect to smallarms/normal gun fire, people would bitch. But without it, people bitch about them moving too agile/fast and being annoying when they circle strafe. There really is no winning with the helicopters. But DICE needs to take a look at the choppers on consoles in terms of gameplay and rebalance for BF3. It doesn't need to be Huey "flying coffin" HP, but it does need to be balanced to where it isn't some death incarnate if you don't have an anti-air option (of which there is very few in vanilla BC2).

I thought the helicopters in BC1 were great, there was more of a separation between average pilots and great pilots, the choppers couldn't circle strafe either. The only problem with those helicopters is that the great pilots could exploit it and "weave" which made it really hard to take them down. If they could have tweaked that a bit it would have been perfect, you mostly had to do strafing runs in BC1.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Can anyone else find an open match on PSN? No matter what mode I try to join, I'm met with a 'we couldn't find any games, please try again' message.

Crakatak187 said:
Either that or up the damage of tank fire arms on choppers. The damage tank machineguns does to choppers are insignificant.
The other option would be to put more AA guns on the maps with attack choppers.

tank turrets and guns just don't go high enough in BC2. in BC1 you could aim them much higher and get more shits in on choppers. 2 AA guns on a base would just make choppers useless.

I do think upping the damage of the tank machinegun is the best idea. Right now the damage is like throwing a grenade at a tank, laughable.

If I was to do the balancing I would make it so the tank machinegun will do about 25% damage long range from full auto to overheating if all shots hit and 50% upclose about 20-30 meters.

Chopper pilots should be just as vulnerable as tank drivers. I remember all the complaining in the beta about the tanks and the tank drivers whined that it was suppose to be super powerful and complain that they will die a lot. It worked out for the better.

I remember the beta RPGs did laughable damage to tanks, not even a quarter damage when hitting the sides.

Rorschach

How do you snipe a tank driver? I got sniped from while driving (at full speed, no less) with a sniper rifle. 1 shot, full health, full armor.

[edit] Choppers should at least be more vulnerable to sniper rifles and snipers should be able to pick off pilots like in BF2!

Rorschach

Crakatak187 said:
Wow I think you got bugged. You can't snipe a tank driver, not that I know of.
Ah. Not the first time, either. :\

Mr Sandman said:
You can pilot snipe, and M95 rounds damage helos, too.
It seems like it does very little to no damage, though. :\ I rarely play sniper, though. Could just be some bad attempts.

Well I'm assuming it's a bug because I've encountered some awkward ones before.

1. I have gotten a landmine kill and I have never planted any landmine.
2. I have gotten credit for somebody else's kill when I did not shoot anybody.
3. Vehicle damage 100 points when I blew up nothing or shot at anything (happened this week).

Not that I'm complaining, I got free points for doing jack squat.

Rorschach said:
Ah. Not the first time, either. :\

It seems like it does very little to no damage, though. :\ I rarely play sniper, though. Could just be some bad attempts.
It does about 8 damage (maybe less, not totally sure). Which can be annoying when two+ snipers are shooting your heli, plus tank mg rounds, shells, AT4, AA, VADs, Tracers, other helis, etc.

There's plenty of ways to kill helis as it is.

scoobs

Mr Sandman said:
It does about 8 damage (maybe less, not totally sure). Which can be annoying when two+ snipers are shooting your heli, plus tank mg rounds, shells, AT4, AA, VADs, Tracers, other helis, etc.

Truly skilled pilots cannot be hit and its kinda breaks the game

The Faceless Master said:
tank turrets and guns just don't go high enough in BC2. in BC1 you could aim them much higher and get more shits in on choppers. 2 AA guns on a base would just make choppers useless.
I was thinking more along the lines of one per flag at Atacama, Heavy Metal or Port Valdez, or one per set of M-COMs with attack choppers. The latter they pretty much have, the former not so much. I find the choppers less of an issue in Rush because you can always spawn near the AA, whereas in Conquest if you don't hold B then you have no AA spawn option other than your initial spawn area (which is often well out of range).

Then again, I'm somebody who thinks the health of the Huey on consoles is perfectly fine the way it is. It's enough to have some fun but not enough to rape.

vixlar

endlessflood said:
Holy shit, do you remember what you did in that round? I've had all weapons bronzed since god knows when (actually I have them all at gold now) but that insignia was never awarded to me. Would be nice to find out that DICE had finally fixed it!

Actually I don't know. I own the Vietnam expansion, but I was not playing it when that happened. As I said, in the final score, I had three medals worth 600 points, but in the extra score it showed 15600 points. Ah, I didn't earn any bronze medal in that round because, like you, I already earned all my bronze medals long time ago.

They always break the AA with tank sniping, UAV, or flat out overpowering it with missiles. On consoles good luck hitting the circle strafing pilot with a tracer. Sniping will do jack shit because they will just fly back into base and come back to rape. Tanks are completely laughed at thanks to the mosquito bite damages. Rockets are dodged with ease when flying in an unpredictable up and down attitude.

PC might be fine, but Consoles attack choppers are the most broken and almost an I win button on attack. How can defenders defend an M-COM when there is a circle strafing chopper with a gunner firing hell at your spawn while attackers are also raiding your base. Most likely the attackers will also have a tank sniping the M-COM making it impossible to defuse the M-COM with a tank sniping and a chopper circle strafing that particular M-COM.

This all wouldn't be an issue if choppers couldn't circle strafe in the first place.

abuC said:

ARRRGHHH I can't believe I missed this!

ACID is one of the top Japanese clans, and HIJIK1128 is quite a well known player (for the 2ch BC2 board at least...)

disappointment.jpg

choppers are good, but overpowered? i dunno. they can be dealt with. and crak if they've got a chopper up with tank sniping and uav support, well, that's called teamwork! gotta use teamwork to counter them.

TheSeks

Mr Sandman said:

Sniper: 8 damage.
Machine Gun: 1 damage a round.
Tank: 2 damage a round.
Anti-air: 5 damage a round.

So I guess everyone should go sniper, lead their shots and calculate the insane drop as their on the ground, and then spam recon shots and hope the enemy is dumbasses to where they can explode the chopper?

Yeah, no. There is very few ways to kill helicopters if the pilots isn't a dumbass and is circling. Sorry.

The Faceless Master said:
choppers are good, but overpowered? i dunno.

Dude, you've flown them with me in the gunner seat. Abu's flown them with me in the gunner seat. If you guys are circling or evading, do you honestly think they aren't overpowered? All I/you, Abu have to do is take the anti-air (which is shitty and they need to switch to VADS, no I don't give a shit if it's "US flavored" it's the only fucking anti-air option) stationary unless Port Valdez then we take out the laughable HP anti-air wagon and then basically strafe.

Crack said:
On consoles good luck hitting the circle strafing pilot with a tracer.

This is the "reliable anti-air option," which is fucking poor. Fire directly at them, and they can shift left before the tracer hits, even with the buff. Fire at their nose? Tracer zooms past or is too slow in hitting.

The tracer dart should not have to be the reliable way to take down the chopper, man.

And the anti-air would be fine if it wasn't for the fact that they can circle faster than you can do damage, explode it, head back to base, repair, and then come back and anal fuck the defense into submission.

TheSeks said:
Sniper: 8 damage.
Machine Gun: 1 damage a round.
Tank: 2 damage a round.
Anti-air: 5 damage a round.

So I guess everyone should go sniper, lead their shots and calculate the insane drop as their on the ground, and then spam recon shots and hope the enemy is dumbasses to where they can explode the chopper?

Yeah, no. There is very few ways to kill helicopters if the pilots isn't a dumbass and is circling. Sorry.
Two (or more) m95s, HMGs, tank MGs, AA, etc nicking the heli will bring its health down fast, or at least cause him to retreat for health. I'm not arguing it can be super easy to take out a skilled heli whore, but I'm arguing that 8 damage is enough from a single round.

Hitting a helo with an M95 shouldn't be too hard (even with a pad) seeing as it's, y'know, huge.

I usually roll with the AT4. It's a race between me and Nightman to take out the heli first (usually one of use gets it first shot, no joke).

feel

Once in a while the game says my team lost the round when I'm quite sure we should be getting awarded the victory, what's up with that? (360 version)

TheSeks said:
Dude, you've flown them with me in the gunner seat. Abu's flown them with me in the gunner seat. If you guys are circling or evading, do you honestly think they aren't overpowered? All I/you, Abu have to do is take the anti-air (which is shitty and they need to switch to VADS, no I don't give a shit if it's "US flavored" it's the only fucking anti-air option) stationary unless Port Valdez then we take out the laughable HP anti-air wagon and then basically strafe.
i'm just saying the available options are effective enough if teamwork is involved.

Letters said:
Once in a while the game says my team lost the round when I'm quite sure we should be getting awarded the victory, what's up with that? (360 version)
that win screen bug is something they introduced in the summer. you do actually get the win if you won, and you'll see the 'rush/cq winner' pin in your post-game medals.

abuC

Dreamgazer said:
ARRRGHHH I can't believe I missed this!

ACID is one of the top Japanese clans, and HIJIK1128 is quite a well known player (for the 2ch BC2 board at least...)

disappointment.jpg

Yeah, there were about 5 of the ACID guys on, I was in a squad with my old crew and Jas, JJD_ITBA were the only other GAFers on. It was great, for about 3 hours the teams did not change much and most of the games took about 20-30 minutes. There was a game on Harvest day that lasted probably 45 minutes when we were attacking.

It'd be great to play the ACID clan with all of the usual Gafers and see how it goes.

TheSeks

Mr Sandman said:
Two (or more) m95s, HMGs, tank MGs, AA, etc nicking the heli will bring its health down fast, or at least cause him to retreat for health. I'm not arguing it can be super easy to take out a skilled heli whore, but I'm arguing that 8 damage is enough from a single round.

Good luck getting to that Bradley/tank and keeping it up when the chopper is circling faster and above where you can gun (35 degree lock) and destroys it, the anti-air, and buildings. Good luck, man!

Hitting a helo with an M95 shouldn't be too hard (even with a pad) seeing as it's, y'know, huge.

Keeping that damage on the heli, seeing as the pilot can... y'know... land and REPAIR IT is the problem.

I usually roll with the AT4. It's a race between me and Nightman to take out the heli first (usually one of use gets it first shot, no joke).

Maybe it's easier on PC, but AT4 isn't a sure thing on consoles just like Gustav/RPG-7 isn't against it.

You're playing on PC, however. So you don't really have much say in terms of the "console" version balance when it comes to helicopters, man.

Faceless said:
i'm just saying the available options are effective enough if teamwork is involved.

Dude, even with teamwork: Once you take the anti-air out, you get the kills, then you get the crates, then you get the wins, then you get the ragequits.

The helicopters are waaaaay overpowered on consoles in vanilla, man.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Captain Pants said:
Can anyone else find an open match on PSN? No matter what mode I try to join, I'm met with a 'we couldn't find any games, please try again' message.

When that happens you have to restart your game... it's really annoying, but it usually works first time.

meppi

recklessmind said:
When that happens you have to restart your game... it's really annoying, but it usually works first time.
Not necessarily. You can ask someone to send you and invite which should circumvent the error, at least most of the time.

Evolved1

meppi said:
Not necessarily. You can ask someone to send you and invite which should circumvent the error, at least most of the time.

Didn't know that... you can't join friends' games so I never thought to request invites. And it's kind of a toss up anyway... since the speed of XMB messaging is about as fast as restarting your game lol.

Crakatak187 said:
Wow I think you got bugged. You can't snipe a tank driver, not that I know of.
I was also sniped inside a tank the other night. It was the tank with the AA-gun, so maybe that character is exposed?

The choppers are overpowered. I wouldn't mind them so much if the weapons on the ground could angle to shoot them. Why should a mounted gun have a limit to where it can aim? Also, a heat-seeking missile should actually seek a heat source.

adamsappel said:
I was also sniped inside a tank the other night. It was the tank with the AA-gun, so maybe that character is exposed?

250px-BFBC2_BMD-3_AA.png

The BMD-3 Bakhcha AA?

The AA gunner seat of that tank is exposed. Don't sit at the gunner seat unless you have to, otherwise you're just easy target for those of us who knows.

Same goes with the Cobra 4WD:
BFBC2_COBRA_4WD.gif

Too many idiots think I can't possibly kill them through the opening in the armor plates.

TheSeks

Yeah. I'm done with Bad Company 2. Fuck these helicopters and the shitty anti-air choices you have. Takes me 10 tracers to even get the goddamn thing, only to be smoked two seconds later before I can lock on. Fuck it.

Going back to Bad Company 1 or Vietnam, as at least I don't have to rely on LOL LEAD UR SHOT AND HOPE IT HITS ONLY TO HAVE IT SMOKED OFF LOLOLOLOL for anti-air. :|

Edit: And I want to give a big and hearty "fuck you" to the perk system that has infiltrated the FPS genre since CoD4. Worst. Balancing. Thing. Ever.

Evolved1

Yeah... can't say I like perks. And I hate unlocks.

But I'm not leaving the BC2 party just yet... it's still the best game out there and I'm not lvl 50 yet. haha. And I like playing with gaf.

TheSeks said:
Yeah. I'm done with Bad Company 2. Fuck these helicopters and the shitty anti-air choices you have. Takes me 10 tracers to even get the goddamn thing, only to be smoked two seconds later before I can lock on. Fuck it.

Going back to Bad Company 1 or Vietnam, as at least I don't have to rely on LOL LEAD UR SHOT AND HOPE IT HITS ONLY TO HAVE IT SMOKED OFF LOLOLOLOL for anti-air. :|

Edit: And I want to give a big and hearty "fuck you" to the perk system that has infiltrated the FPS genre since CoD4. Worst. Balancing. Thing. Ever.
I jumped on the 360 version not too long back, and flipped up my aim sensitivity and was actually kicking ass with the at4, practice makes perfect man, once you get a feel, that helis fucked. I know how irritating it is having a heli circling around, but they are by no means overpowered, you just got to hit them hard as a team.

TheSeks

Dude, you have no idea how much it pisses me off to lead the AT4 and they suddenly move and whoosh the rocket goes past.

Really, there is L I T T L E A N T I - A I R . . . options in the game. To expect EVERYONE to suddenly fire on the enemy chopper and ignore the base to get them down because there is no anti-air option in Val Paris is INSANE.

At least BC1 had anti-airs at nearly every base that featured a helicopter just in case that helicopter got past a certain number of sets to where it didn't spawn again.

It is annoying that DICE's anti-air option is "pray to god they don't have smoke and/or are shitty pilots and won't go back to repair/too slow and the anti-air catches them."

TheSeks said:
Dude, you have no idea how much it pisses me off to lead the AT4 and they suddenly move and whoosh the rocket goes past.

Really, there is L I T T L E A N T I - A I R . . . options in the game. To expect EVERYONE to suddenly fire on the enemy chopper and ignore the base to get them down because there is no anti-air option in Val Paris is INSANE.

At least BC1 had anti-airs at nearly every base that featured a helicopter just in case that helicopter got past a certain number of sets to where it didn't spawn again.

It is annoying that DICE's anti-air option is "pray to god they don't have smoke and/or are shitty pilots and won't go back to repair/too slow and the anti-air catches them."
Thats the great thing with the at4 though, is if you miss once, you have an opportunity to correct the shot and still hit it, trust me man, just whore that at4 for a bit and you will be taking heli's down left and right in no time. Ask Sandman, I sucked balls with the at4 and had given up on it, but finally picked it up and said lets get some practice and now, its constant Mr Nightman (or Mi amigo sandman)<at-4> heli bitches, followed by me going "OOOOOOHHHHHH YEEEEAAAA" lol

abuC

TheSeks said:

Crakatak187 said:
It's all about balance and attack chopper is hardly balanced. It's practically god like.

I thought BC1 was way worse when it came to anti-air and the Apache, as a pilot in both games, I fear the anti-air gun much more in BC2 because you get pushed off course if you're hit. In BC1 it was easy to destroy the anti air gun and it didn't seem to have as much of a punch. The helicopters also had such unnatural flight patterns if you set your controls to alternate, you could weave low to the ground and basically dodge all incoming fire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr822FaGnw4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJwVme6NVdk&feature=related

The weaving Im talking about, I practiced and was able to fly like that, but BC2 came out and rained on my parade. Still, against the best pilots in BC1 you literally had no chance at all, they could spawn rape you all by themselves and there was nothing you could do about it outside of a lucky rocket hit.

abuC

Crakatak187 said:
BC1 didn't have circle strafing right? It really is too late to patch out circle strafing now though.

It didn't have circle strafing, but it had tail spins where you could point the cockpit to the sky and do quick a 180 where your tail is nearly scraping the ground and you'll be on another strafing run. Also, you could weave on the way in, so it was basically impossible to hit one with a rocket if the pilot was good. I played against a lot of the good pilots, and they could dominate an entire game much more than a BC2 pilot can. You always have the lucky tracer or AT4 in BC2, your only hope in BC1 was he crashed into some trees.

Evolved1

If anything... I think VADS and AA are too powerful!

hahaha... seriously.

If it was me balancing this game... I'd nerf VADS to hell (especially the pushback!) but small arms would do slight damage to choppers. Not much--nothing like that vietnam garbage--but enough that circle strafers would have to bail out for repair after 15-20 seconds of their bullshit.

I don't think choppers are imbalanced if you let them take some damage from small arms. Just enough so they'd have to fuck off if the team started firing on them. This would almost completely eliminate douchey base-raping circle strafers from constantly nagging a team but still make you fear the presence of an attack chopper (like a team should).

You guys know I hate getting cheesed by a CS'ing chopper but I still think (as a pilot) that VADS (especially) and AA can be overpowered.

Small arms damage vs. lingering chopper is how you balance it... anything else I think misses the mark.

abuC

recklessmind said:
If anything... I think VADS and AA are too powerful!

hahaha... seriously.

If it was me balancing this game... I'd nerf VADS to hell (especially the pushback!) but small arms would do slight damage to choppers. Not much--nothing like that vietnam garbage--but enough that circle strafers would have to bail out for repair after 15-20 seconds of their bullshit.

I don't think choppers are imbalanced if you let them take some damage from small arms. Just enough so they'd have to fuck off if the team started firing on them. This would almost completely eliminate douchey base-raping circle strafers from constantly nagging a team but still make you fear the presence of an attack chopper (like a team should).

You guys know I hate getting cheesed by a CS'ing chopper but I still think (as a pilot) that VADS (especially) and AA can be overpowered.

Small arm vs. lingering chopper is how you balance it... anything else I think misses the mark.

I agree, I hate the "push" from the anti-air and VADs.

I circle strafe, so I really can't complain about anyone else who does it, doesn't really bother me.

Evolved1

While taking damage from small arms you'd still be able to strafe, but you'd only be able to do it for a few rotations before having to bug out and repair.

Risk vs reward... it would be a much less cheesy tactic if there were some limits to the damage a CS'er could inflict.

As of now... it's abused. If the gunner is any good and drops the AA quickly enough, the opposing team is completely fucked. They have to sneak out of the base somehow and spawn away from the AOE.

I just think small arms damage is a damn no brainer. But then I look at how DICE
mis
handled it in Vietnam and smh.

the #1 change i'd make was putting smoke on choppers back to what it was before. it's ridiculously easy now to smoke off tracers nowadays.

i remember i was pretty shocked at first when small arms fire didn't damage choppers in BC2, but in BC1, it just meant any LMG was a portable anti-air gun.

Top Bottom