• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 |OT2| See, Spot, Run

sk3tch

Anyone else getting hard locks/freezes on 360? Everything on the screen just stops...frozen in time. No graphical corruption. Lights on controller/360 look good/normal - but only pressing power on the 360 resumes operation. This has happened twice now in the past two weeks. It's a Jasper 360 Arcade from last year so I doubt it is dying...ugh.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The Faceless Master said:
the #1 change i'd make was putting smoke on choppers back to what it was before.

My memory is fuzzy, what was it before?

I'm just butthurt because I'm tired of being circle strafed and getting lucky with the tracer and going "OH-HO-HO ASSHOLE TIME FOR YOU TO--SMOKED GODDAMN IT. *death*"

Honestly, the pushback is needed. If you're caught by the anti-air you should be killed by it. Everyone goes for the anti-air and attempts to kill it because:

If the gunner is any good and drops the AA quickly enough, the opposing team is completely fucked.

And that's the issue I have. You have NO CHANCE against a chopper as soon as they start to circle strafe if they have the anti-air down. Good fucking luck getting back to it because they'll take it down/kill you while you're trying to get a bead on them, leave, repair, and come back.

Honestly: Smoke shouldn't remove the tracer. It could scramble the lock on for a minute or two and let the chopper bug out, but if I land the tracer on your ass I deserve to get you to fuck off and remove the threat. :| Or give me the fucking VADS so I can push your ass sideways and get you to fuck off. I'm so sick of circle strafes on defense.

Xux

Had a pretty annoying game on Hill 137 the other night. My teammates took a tank and put it in the tunnel next to the second B. This would've been an okay idea if

1. this didn't block the two entrances to the MCom site close to our team's spawn and
2. the people in the tank didn't fucking suck and could kill the people arming and defending the crate ten feet beside the damn tank.

The other site and sets that round was the usual "Hey, if we're looking in the direction of the enemy's spawn, there's no way they can sneak in and arm the crates!" shitfest of no one watching the crates or pushing for disarms.

Oh well, least I got the Ace pin probably thanks to my AT mines on the road taking out their tank and a dude on an ATV not realizing that I still might have five more AT mines on that road.

recklessmind said:
Small arm vs. lingering chopper is how you balance it... anything else I think misses the mark.
Actually that's a very good idea if the small arms fire damage is low enough to force the circle strafing rapists to leave occasionally and give you time to let the AA respawn and be manned etc.

I have a question for anyone who's a veteran of both BFBC1 and BFBC2: as someone who was never really tried BFBC1 MP, but is completely addicted to BFBC2, is it worth going back to BFBC1 MP? I have a mate who wants to go back and play BFBC1 as a change from BFBC2, but I'm still pretty much addicted to BFBC2. I always found that Frostbite 1.0 looked 'off' in some way; I'm not sure if it was that the picture was a little soft (possibly filter related) or if it was the lighting - possibly a combination of the two - but Frostbite 1.5 looked like a massive step forwards to me in comparison and it was only BFBC2 that really had me hooked from the get-go. Are there elements of BFBC1 that are worth going back to experience, or is BFBC2 an improvement on all of the core mechanics?

I'm pretty sure we all know how to balance this game more then Dice does. Dice have made a ton of balancing mistakes ever since the game released and Attack choppers to me is the last thing that needs to be balanced.

abuC said:
I agree, I hate the "push" from the anti-air and VADs.

I circle strafe, so I really can't complain about anyone else who does it, doesn't really bother me.

I don't mind the push from the Ru AAA but the VADS is impossible to tell when and how it will happen. The VADS should also fire off the large tracers rather than the standard tracers so it is identifiable from afar.

As far as balancing choppers I think the damage stuff and flares are fine but the roll limit needs to be dropped. Right now cricle strafing is as easy shoving your sticks to the inside and round you go. If choppers were allowed to fully roll you'll see most of these circle strafing pro pilots sideways in the ground.

TheSeks

BC1 has some better maps. No <D 2.0>, shitty filter, shitty "hold to sprint forever on L3/left-stick click" mechanic.

Otherwise BC2 improved on it in nearly everyway (except the chopper balance. Jesus Christ), with the exception of the perk system.

TheSeks said:
BC1 has some better maps.
I might give BFBC1 a go long enough to check out the various maps then.

I love Harvest Day in BFBC2. I know a few people here have complained about it, but I quite like Oasis as a map in terms of gameplay too. My complaint with Oasis though is the shitty lighting, I think that DICE made a big step forwards with the way they lit the maps (especially the desert ones) in BFBC2 and the BFBC1 map lighting seems a little amateurish in comparison.

TheSeks

endlessflood said:
I might give BFBC1 a go long enough to check out the various maps then.

Just note the achievements are hard (I only have 94% and still need 10K kills to get 95%) and squads aren't set by yourself like BC2. They're set however the fuck DICE feels like setting them. :|

But BC1 is worth Deconstruction and climbing the crane to knife a bastard sniping from up there alone.

Also the game is REALLY CLUNKY in comparison, but it still holds a special place in my heart.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
If you've gotten used to the killcam, BC1 is gonna kick you in the teeth. lol.

Some stuff from BC1 I like better. Looking back, I think I preferred the pre-defined classes and not having an all-in-one kit. I preferred the way med packs were handled and I miss the auto injector. I like support medics having the mortars. I miss having my gadgets on the shoulder buttons, because d-pad is garbage. I much preferred the maps. (not contest in this regard) and love that there weren't any stupid fucking retarded dipshit cod perks. Laser designator can fuck off, even though I learned to dodge it and make recons cry. I probably wouldn't miss spotting and didn't mind the hit-to-spot mechanic.

God do I miss End of the Line.

I do not miss the bullet-sponges. But give me back ammo crates since current assaults are too retarded to give ammo (i'm one of them). I couldn't fly choppers in BC1 so I can't comment on it, other than saying I'd miss being able to fly choppers lol.

There is something huge I'm missing that somehow escapes me (I was just thinking about it) but it was a significant addition to the BC1 "win" column... I'll post if I remember.

TheSeks

recklessmind said:
I do not miss the bullet-sponges.

It's more random damage than bullet-sponges. Empty a clip into someone, still standing. Put two bullets into them later, they die. It's so random and "WTF" at times. :lol

Edit: Also I've played against "GranTurino00" or someone with a similar name in BC1. I think I have his dogtags. Nostalgia from that video just because of that name.

Evolved1

TheSeks said:
It's more random damage than bullet-sponges. Empty a clip into someone, still standing. Put two bullets into them later, they die. It's so random and "WTF" at times. :lol

That's true... with certain weapons in BC2 I know exactly what constitutes a kill. Sometimes if I see a group of guys I'll spray one and know precisely when to switch fire to the other before seeing the first guy die... just from experience with the rifle.

Sometimes this gets me killed because I'll switch fire but the first guy will have body armor on and won't die... I know when a guy is wearing body armor just from the hits it takes to drop him.

BC1 was often like a dice roll... even with weapons I knew well. Unless it was the M24. Then fuck those guys, they were dead OHK.

TheSeks

recklessmind said:
BC1 was often like a dice roll... even with weapons I knew well. Unless it was the M24. Then fuck those guys, they were dead OHK.

Pffft. M24. Do what the cool kids did and rock the M95. Sound of god on anyone in mid-range dying. Two shots in body, one in head. Others generally wanted 3 shots in body.

Edit: Oh shit, I just noticed BC1 does reticle bloom. Halo: Reach before Halo: Reach was Halo: Reach.

Evolved1

TheSeks said:
Pffft. M24. Do what the cool kids did and rock the M95. Sound of god on anyone in mid-range dying. Two shots in body, one in head. Others generally wanted 3 shots in body.

I don't know... I was OK with the M95 but my k/d with the M24 was over 12. Something like >70% accuracy. LOL.

edit: OMG I just remembered the great thing about BC1!!! Friendly Fire!!! God I miss it.

TheSeks

recklessmind said:
edit: OMG I just remembered the great thing about BC1!!! Friendly Fire!!! God I miss it.

You can get that in hardcore. :p But they really need to let it be a toggle/custom option and give us SERVER BROWSERS, PLZ.

(Though, I'd kill Calion when 5 rockets are flying toward us and kill myself in the process if it was on.)

sk3tch said:
Anyone else getting hard locks/freezes on 360? Everything on the screen just stops...frozen in time. No graphical corruption. Lights on controller/360 look good/normal - but only pressing power on the 360 resumes operation. This has happened twice now in the past two weeks. It's a Jasper 360 Arcade from last year so I doubt it is dying...ugh.
It's happened to everyone on 360 no doubt. It's nothing to do with the hardware and just what we like to call the "Frostbite Freeze". It certainly sucks when it happens, but this game has it's share of bugs and glitches.

Also, Bad Company 2 > Bad Company 1 in every single way.

TheSeks

Darkshier said:

...Except maps. The only two good ones are Arica Harbor and Port Valadez.

Evolved1

Darkshier said:
It's happened to everyone on 360 no doubt. It's nothing to do with the hardware and just what we like to call the "Frostbite Freeze". It certainly sucks when it happens, but this game has it's share of bugs and glitches.

It is not possible to defend gadgets on the d-pad after BC1 had them on the bumpers. It is not possible.

abuC

The maps in BC1 were MUCH better than BC2, they were a lot more open ended in how you could attack, where as BC2 has bottle necks all around.

Played earlier, and stole the MI-28 on Oasis, only to have someone in the Apache crash into me which caused my PS3 to freeze, nice!

Calion

TheSeks said:
You can get that in hardcore. :p But they really need to let it be a toggle/custom option and give us SERVER BROWSERS, PLZ.

(Though, I'd kill Calion when 5 rockets are flying toward us and kill myself in the process if it was on.)

Never played BC1, so I can't give any feedback on what made it better or worse than BC2. If FF was on for that particular match...I'm sure I would have been dead many times before that incident on the 2nd set. Seriously, I'll never forget the image of 4-5 rockets being shot at once towards our tank. I was shitting bricks.

TheSeks

Calion82v said:
Never played BC1, so I can't give any feedback on what made it better or worse than BC2.

You should fix that. :p

But the biggest changes are:

Tools are on D-pad (I'm one of the few that prefers it this way. Less "accidental" tool/weapon switching when in the heat of the moment)
Push to run instead of "hold to run" (AKA: saving your L3's life)
Friendly Fire is ON for Softcore (there is no hardcore)
No killcam in Softcore (as there is no hardcore to turn it off for)
Grain filter that looks like shit (for performance reasons, I guess? Early title in the generation, expected?)
Less "narrow" focused maps. Harvest Day (you know that route I take at the start? You've been on my ATV, yeah, that's possible in BC1 with MOST of the maps) being a good example of it in BC2 for Rush.

Rush introduced, instead of "M-COM" it's gold crate, hence Faceless/I/Abu talking about "crates" when it's "M-COM" here. No Conquest until it was patched in. Simply rush.
Less insane achievements. 6 grenade launcher kills sounds easy, but it's FUCKING HARD TO GET in BC1 as even a direct hit with the grenade doesn't guarantee a kill.
Random damage to where whole clip = survive, two bullets in same enemy later = death.
Health level can be seen (unlike BC2 where it isn't)
Medics throw out 5 medikits, must run over them to heal.
Assaults have a syringe/auto-health injector that heals them and only them, stabby-stabby can be spammed but has a short cool-down to where it isn't invincible.
No ammo kit, go to pre-set ammo crates.

No <D 2.0>, obviously.

i miss friendly fire so much. it made it easy to stop the idiots that wanted to destroy their team's crates. it changed the arm/disarm dynamic in Rush and the Flag capping in CQ since you couldn't just explosive spam an objective with your teammates there. it also made people drive better. no killcam was awesome too.

sk3tch said:
nope, but i (and many others) get booted to the 360 dashboard on occasion.

Marvie_3

Banned
i miss friendly fire so much. it made it easy to stop the idiots that wanted to destroy their team's crates. it changed the arm/disarm dynamic in Rush and the Flag capping in CQ since you couldn't just explosive spam an objective with your teammates there. it also made people drive better. no killcam was awesome too.
I wish friendly fire was on during that rush round on Port Valdez. Fuckin pissed me off that that guy kept C4ing our crates.

sk3tch said:
I get the same thing on PS3 as well sometimes (on two different consoles).

Marvie_3 said:
I wish friendly fire was on during that rush round on Port Valdez. Fuckin pissed me off that that guy kept C4ing our crates.
I switched teams so that I could just sit on the crate and kill him but I only managed to do it once because the randoms on the team weren't in on the plan.

Marvie_3 said:
There is only one way to delay that. Blow his C4 up when he sets just 1.

It reminds me of a White Pass game a month or 2 ago. This one asshole was C4ing our crate with 10 tickets left for the attackers. Gaf cockblocked the enterance to Alpha and I had a booby trap C4 on the M-COM (Better to blow up his before he gets 6 of them on it). I blew his ass up as soon as his first C4 touched the M-COM. We barely made it.

sk3tch

Darkshier said:

Thanks...that makes me feel better. I have a decent amount of money invested in the "old-style" 360s (due to upgrading these Arcade units with 250GB hard drives) so just getting a new console is not an easy-to-swallow answer. :)

kadab

guys i bought this game pre owned for the ps3. now it's asking me for a vip code how can i get one? i only got a game manual with it in the box

sk3tch

kadab said:
guys i bought this game pre owned for the ps3. now it's asking me for a vip code how can i get one? i only got a game manual with it in the box

You can buy it on PSN or through the in-game store. It's required for online gameplay. It should be around $10. I think it is discounted 33% right now.

It was included "free" with new copies. It's their method to get money off of used copies like yours.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
kadab said:
You can buy it online within the game. It is in the Store menu. I think it is $10.

TheSeks

kadab said:
guys i bought this game pre owned for the ps3. now it's asking me for a vip code how can i get one?

By buying new, you dirty dirty peasant!

(Or paying $10-15 in the online store)

Calion

TheSeks said:
You should fix that. :p

I just might after I hit level 50. I've been tempted to from time to time.

TheSeks said:
BC1 details

I remember playing the BC1 demo and thinking that it absolutely sucked having to hold down R3 to run. FF always being on is.....intriguing. The fact that you always have to be careful of every bullet and explosive is neat. I bet gardening kinda sucked since you might kill someone every time you set off a charge....

abuC

Calion82v said:
I just might after I hit level 50. I've been tempted to from time to time.

I remember playing the BC2 demo and thinking that it absolutely sucked having to hold down R3 to run. FF always being on is.....intriguing. The fact that you always have to be careful of every bullet and explosive is neat. I bet gardening kinda sucked since you might kill someone every time you set off a charge....

There wasn't as much gardening, most of the maps didn't have dense tree coverage like BC2, plus the only class with C4 in BC1 are engineers. One thing that really sucked is that Recons could throw out multiple sensors and blanket an area, so 2 or 3 recons could literally cover a big portion of the map if they were near a ammo crate.

The maps in BC1 were so much better, but there wasn't as much chaotic action, which the bottlenecks promote. The best part was that Recons couldn't hide in their spawn like they can on so many BC2 maps, you could push the attackers all the way back to their spawn and run up in there and wipe them out. Unfortunately scrubs complained during the BC2 beta that they were getting spawn camped on Arica once they got the brakes beat off them, so now we have that lame out of bounds crap when you go into their spawn.

TheSeks

abuC said:
The maps in BC1 were so much better, but there wasn't as much chaotic action, which the bottlenecks promote. The best part was that Recons couldn't hide in their spawn like they can on so many BC2 maps, you could push the attackers all the way back to their spawn and run up in there and wipe them out. Unfortunately scrubs complained during the BC2 beta that they were getting spawn camped on Arica once they got the brakes beat off them, so now we have that lame out of bounds crap when you go into their spawn.

I honestly don't mind the spawn protection. Just means Faceless gets -200 debt to recover from when he blows our crates to drag them out of their protection. :3

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Pre emptive TheSeks angry post: "Fersis sucks"

Sorry dood, i was trying to get the Knife Badget (Get 4 kills with the knife in one round) so i wasnt defending the MComs.
Sowwy.

Got the badge. ^_^

TheSeks

Cuban Legend said:
I'm married to my AT4 and Heavy Metal is the bed where we fuck every day.

I love the AT4. But the speed buff/nerf/fuckery really screwed with it for me. :/ I'm using the RPG-7 to Platinum while I'm 3 Gold for the AT4. *siigh*

Fersis said:
Pre emptive TheSeks angry post: "Fersis sucks"

Dude, where the fuck were you and Rock? I take out cover all around B to the best of my ability. Get shot in the back by a sniper I didn't see that snuck up on me. I'm like "fuck he's going to arm B."

(B HAS BEEN ARMED!)
(No one is around to disarm)
"FUCKING FUCK FFFFFFFF.jpg"

At least we held JJD and his friend off at the last set, so I'm not too pissed, but they kept moving the game past the sets when we were nearly 10 tickets or so left.

@Calion: Dude, I play BC2 damn near daily. Some days for an hour or two in the afternoon, some all day. :/ I was playing LBP2 with a 16 year old that helped me with the prize bubbles in LBP1 (which reminds me, I need to go back and get those since my save got ate. :/). I do like to play other games than BC2 all the time. No hard feelings. I'm just ass-sore about the choppers in the game when it is a bitch to take them down because of level 50 chopper whores. :/

Anyway, all prize bubbles gotten. Just leaves 100% being acing/no deaths in the story levels and then I gotta find something to create for the trophies there and I'm LBP2 platinum. >_<

TheSeks said:
I love the AT4. But the speed buff/nerf/fuckery really screwed with it for me. :/ I'm using the RPG-7 to Platinum while I'm 3 Gold for the AT4. *siigh*
Have you used it again since the last balance tweaks, when they (slightly) rebuffed it? This was at the time they added scopes for the G3 and M14 (Nov 24):

- Slightly increased the AT4's damage vs armor to emphasize its anti vehicle role while keeping it balanced vs armor.
- Increased the AT4’s top speed and acceleration so users spend less time exposed when firing.
- Increased the AT4's splash damage so it competes with other AT weapons vs infantry. The AT4 still has the least splash damage of all AT weapons.
http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/bat...update-for-battlefield-bad-company-2-ps3.aspx

For a while there the AT4 seemed pretty useless in comparison to the RPG-7 but the re-buff made it my go-to launcher once again.

1stStrike

Banned
You guys should be happy to know that I'm nearly finished with FF13 :eek: I think I'm in the last chapter or something. Just lost the will to finish today and had to prepare for the (currently happening) snowpocalypse. So, I'll be shoving after I wake up and then playing some more FF13, and probably working a bit too since we're getting slammed right now.

Should be back into BC2 by next monday/tuesday, though I do need to finish the last few battles in Valkyrie Profile to complete the game, so I might just do that next and get that taken care of. Then I should be set... at least until Rift starts on Feb. 24th! I'll be playing that as my new MMO of choice (first in about a year) so I may take another extended break from BC2... :eek:

(don't hate me)

Raide

Weird question, if you play BC2: Vietnam, do you play a mix of old BC2 maps and new ones, or is it just Vietnam maps?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Raide said:
Weird question, if you play BC2: Vietnam, do you play a mix of old BC2 maps and new ones, or is it just Vietnam maps?
Just Vietnam Maps.

Raide

Fersis said:
Just Vietnam Maps.

Thank you good sir!

Also, how many maps are there currently?

I loved BC2 but help off on Vietnam. Might have to take the plunge and pick up some points today. :D

Fersis

Vietnam has 5 maps.
Yup, and the 5 maps support every game mode.
Having said that : Operation Hastings Conquest is the best BC2 map ever.

TheSeks

olimpia84

Fersis said:
Yup, and the 5 maps support every game mode.
Having said that : Operation Hastings Conquest is the best BC2 map ever.
Unless there was some sort of update the Vietnam maps only support Rush and Conquest modes.
And operation hastings conquest might be the best map in Vietnam but overall I think Panama canal conquest is the best map in the entire game ;)

Top Bottom