• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 |OT2| See, Spot, Run

olimpia84

Harvest Day and Heavy Metal (both in Conquest mode) are officially my two least favorite maps in the game, which worries me a bit since BF3 will supposedly go for the bigger maps just like these two levels.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
olimpia84 said:
Harvest Day and Heavy Metal (both in Conquest mode) are officially my two least favorite maps in the game, which worries me a bit since BF3 will supposedly go for the bigger maps just like these two levels.
All the Battlefield regulars are shouting out for bigger maps in BF3, while I am hoping that they will remain fairly small. I like being able to get to the action quickly, and I have always liked maps with chokepoints so you know roughly where the enemy is going to be coming from. Running for 5 minutes only to be shot in the back is not fun for me.

meppi

olimpia84 said:

That's weird since both those maps are actually my favourites along with Isla Inocentes on defense.

olimpia84 said:
there's also Modern Warfare 3 if maps the size of Nuke Town are more your style!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The Faceless Master said:
there's also Modern Warfare 3 if maps the size of Nuke Town are more your style!

ICE BURN.gif

Seriously, I can understand not liking Oasis and Harvest Day (as I don't like them either), but saying they're bad for being huge is WAT.

Also choke points fucking suck on attack (OR DEFENSE) if a team is really good at defending it. You can't get pass, which is why Harvest Day is probably one of the better Rush maps in BC2. Many ways to flank, and causes the defense to have to be on the ball to keep you in your base.

poppabk

TheSeks said:
ICE BURN.gif

Seriously, I can understand not liking Oasis and Harvest Day (as I don't like them either), but saying they're bad for being huge is WAT.

Also choke points fucking suck on attack (OR DEFENSE) if a team is really good at defending it. You can't get pass, which is why Harvest Day is probably one of the better Rush maps in BC2. Many ways to flank, and causes the defense to have to be on the ball to keep you in your base.
Having a single choke point can suck, but for BC2 they often they open out right after the choke point and there are still alternative routes - ie 3rd set on Port Valdez, which is a bitch to attack but if you get some guys through then there is plenty of space to hide in the base. The last set on isla innocentes is also a good example of a choke point that works well even though again it can be a bitch to attack.
Something like nuke town in blops is too small, you are more likely to get shot in the back because the map is too compressed which results in enemy spawns behind you and in front.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Just got the C4 Badge.
52 kills for the AT Mines -__-¡

Demize99 said:
Really? First Treyarch then KAOS bans DICE clan tags? I thought we were friends. Are you guys scared?
lolz

Pete Rock

The flow of those choke points against uneven teams is what gives an illusion of opportunity. When you are playing hardcore catassers like myself they run an engineer up to spam at mines on the road while an assault guy c4's all the foliage. When there is no foliage there is nowhere to hide and those peripheral routes aren't really an option. There is nowhere for even one or two guys to "creep" into the base, creating a relentless flow of respawning enemies. When the entire enemy team can see you sprint down the shallow hill alongside the pipeline because it's completely devoid of cover there isn't much point to sprinting the next couple hundred yards only to climb the ladder and be greeted by a squad of autoshotguns and LMGs roasting marshmallows outside the cargo containers.

Speaking of, that's another reason they need to either adjust the spawn-in mechanic or extrapolate it to an expanded delivery system or some augmented effects/animations relative to local geometry. Instead of an invisible line that you have to cross to keep the enemies from pouring out of the building, you need to run in there and kill the little jackal hiding in the darkest corner. Nonsensical that every soldier functions as a nydus canal for at least 3 other players from the spirit/ticket plane, that shit belongs in a new GRAW game or something.

TheSeks

Fersis said:
52 kills for the AT Mines -__-¡

Not that hard you cry baby. Choke points or places they fall through to catch them the next time. Or troll them in Conquest right outside their initial base.

When the entire enemy team can see you sprint down the shallow hill alongside the pipeline because it's completely devoid of cover there isn't much point to sprinting the next couple hundred yards only to climb the ladder and be greeted by a squad of autoshotguns and LMGs roasting marshmallows outside the cargo containers.

If you're lucky to make it that far...
You know you can swim in the drink/cold water if you climb the ladder for one-two seconds, fall back in and get around the back of the base, right?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Fersis said:
So he pimps the PC version of the game he is working on and then turns around and continues to play every other shooter on consoles (when said games have significantly better PC versions). He shows so much promise.

Stallion Free said:
So he pimps the PC version of the game he is working on and then turns around and continues to play every other shooter on consoles (when said games have significantly better PC versions). He shows so much promise.
Knowing about and Commenting about a circumstance that has happened in the gaming world doesn't require anyone have played said games. I knew about that and I don't play MW2 on consoles and haven't played Homefront at all... just saying.

How playing console versions of other games affects his job as a multi-platform developer is beyond me anyway.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Stallion Free said:
Demize shows promise... It rhymes!

TheSeks

Cuban Legend said:
How playing console versions of other games affects his job as a multi-platform developer is beyond me anyway.

B-B-BUT PC ELITE GAMERS.

Stallion sounds a little sore in the rear whenever PC/Consoles come up. Maybe he should ArnoldChillOut.gif

Fersis said:
Demize shows promise... It rhymes!

Only in your Argentina brain does it.

Dee-My-ez, prom-is.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
TheSeks said:
B-B-BUT PC ELITE GAMERS.

Stallion sounds a little sore in the rear whenever PC/Consoles come up. Maybe he should ArnoldChillOut.gif
If Demize can "troll" fans for wanting a good game, I can troll those who ruthlessly suck his cock and defend him.

all this talk about banning clan tags... they should have taken care of their own clan tags bug where people had ridiculously long ones that filled the screen in a similar timeframe instead of taking months!

someone should tell Demize on Twitter one simple phrase. "YOU WIN"

TheSeks

someone should tell Demize on Twitter one simple phrase. "YOU WIN"

Fersis won't as he's too busy cheerleading Demize despite Demize being wrong on nearly everything (except NO FUCKING MAGNUM AMMO IN BF3. THANK YOU GOD). I have a private twitter I don't even fucking use, so that leaves... you?

Fersis

TheSeks said:
B-B-BUT PC ELITE GAMERS.

Only in your Argentina brain does it.

Dee-My-ez, prom-is.
* Mindblown *

TheSeks said:
Fersis won't as he's too busy cheerleading Demize despite Demize being wrong on nearly everything (except NO FUCKING MAGNUM AMMO IN BF3. THANK YOU GOD). I have a private twitter I don't even fucking use, so that leaves... you?
Hey hey, im not cheerleading! I just dont get mad when he trolls.

Demize99 said:
Note to self. Do something about circle strafing choppers.
De - mize - 99!
clapclap clapclapclap!!
De - mize - 99!
clapclap clapclapclap!!

;)

TheSeks

Crakatak187 said:
Finally somebody Circled Strafed Demize. Where is the chopper is balanced now!

Or he finally saw me curse him out (once again) and got a lightbulb.jpg moment to finally BALANCE shit via "is it too good, maybe we should nerf/look at it" method instead of "is it popular? IT'S TOO POWERFUL! *nerf nerf*"

Maybe I'll get text chat on PS3 (haha, fat chance) and server browsers. *eyes light up*

...Of course, this is Demize and he's the lead dude on BF3. Doubt that's going to happen.

I just dont get mad when he trolls.

It ain't trollin' when he's the lead designer for DICE and has no clue why the community gets up in an uproar when he states his opinions.

"All tweets are mine and not DICE" can be a catch-all, but that doesn't make him any less wrong on his "trolls."

TheSeks

Demize is gonna Vietnam the choppers!

If it meant everyone stayed on the ground, I wouldn't mind this.

Honestly, I dunno how the hell they can balance the choppers. But they can stop them from being annoying by preventing them from being able to circle strafe. AFAIK normal helicopters can't do that without fucking themselves over and killing the pilots.

TheSeks

Have I stated how much I hate Atacama Rush?

-Shitty bloom
-Shitty spawn invincible (note to DICE: REMOVE THIS SHIT SO WE CAN GET CAMPERS, THANK YOU)
-Shitty helicopter (though VADS negates this)

3 kills
13 deaths

Why? Because they were sitting in their spawn camping sniping or using the helicopter to boost their KDR.

Hey DICE: KDR is a CoD dickwaving stat. Removing it would get the CoD kiddies to actually attempt to do shit instead of making boring rounds. BRILLIANT IDEA, I KNOW.

Fersis

Atacama Desert Rush is my favorite map.

<3 TheSeks <3

TheSeks said:
Hey DICE: KDR is a CoD dickwaving stat. Removing it would get the CoD kiddies to actually attempt to do shit instead of making boring rounds. BRILLIANT IDEA, I KNOW.
Agreed.

Jas

TheSeks said:

This please!

I only remember Battlefield 1943 keeping track of kills not deaths but I might be mistaken. I'd rather see KDR gone completely tho.

Crakatak187 said:
Finally somebody Circled Strafed Demize. Where is the chopper is balanced now!

Amen brother. Amen.

Had anyone else come across the flying fortress tactic using the Blackhawk? The pilot keeps it way back facing towards the objectives. Two gunners both pointing forwards to both shoot at the objectives. One or two engineers in the back doing constant repair and switching out with the gunners if the drill overheats.

With a decent pilot there is simply no counter-measure to it - because of the range the missiles just aren't effective (heaps of time to dodge and very hard to guide an AT4 all the way in assuming the gunners don't cap you while you're standing there defenceless), and the repair tools are a match for the normal hit rate of a heavy MG or M95 at that distance. It takes good teamwork to do it, but damn if it isn't just about invincible when done right. You can have your entire team of 12 firing rockets, M95 sniper shots, heavy MG bursts, etc. and you're just not going to make any headway. With 2 decent blackhawk gunners you can tear the ground forces apart too.

TheSeks

Bawwwww robbed of Ace by Rock for getting in my tank after it took me three sets to steal it and hold the line. BAWWWWWWW. I even sniped a dude ALL THE WAY AT THE TOP OF THE HILL third set Arica and he gets two more kills than me.

GOL Sniper Mangum Gold Star 8 now. Only 200 more kills for Platinum for my baby. >_<

Fersis said:
Atacama Desert Rush is my favorite map.

And once again you completely baffle me with your map taste, Fersis. It's a HORRIBLE map for snipers due to HDR/Bloom and it's a HORRIBLE map for Hin-D pilots due to HDR/bloom. Then you have to make sure the VADS stays up or you're going to have raining death if the pilot is good.

Too much bullshit, not enough fun.

However, the highlight of the night for me was attacking second set on Atacama. A is taken in an intense battle with me throwing mines. I die, respawn at base, sneak my way to the boat. Climb a roof. They're all inside B nearly. I'm like "FUCK IT." (Mortar), nada. "DAMN IT." (Grenade in the hole) most of them scatter/die to teammates. Two are in the corner according to motion mine I threw there.

"SURPRISE, ASSHOLES!" (jump in, take out dude. He gets revived, take out medic. Injure revived dude while arming B. Dead. Rock/Ejas/Dan spawn on me, they take out the dude and get taken out.)

I'm spawning at base running back toward B in frustration to rearm B/reset up an ambush if needed. Somehow, miraculously our team held them off and B is blown as I'm going around the corner. Shoot the ground in celebration as we move past second set.

Intense battle all the way across that map with like 5 level 50's to our 3-4?

Tonight was magic. Somehow I was infused with the spirit of the olde ancient samurai Blackhawk gunner. Behold:

6de4f6d1.jpg

b2b08d09.jpg

Dubbedinenglish said:
Tonight was magic. Somehow I was infused with the spirit of the olde ancient samurai Blackhawk gunner.

So that would be a "yes" answer to my question of whether you've come across the flying fortress tactic? :p

TheSeks

Crakatak187 said:
If only those were the logos when starting up the game.

Seriously.

>>Yes to flying fortress<<

Bullshit. I've gotten 60+ kills in the blackhawk before and that was near launch. Just requires people not shooting it down and a good pilot not screwing you out shots.

So this game turns into pure shit when you go up against douchebags.

I played in several different servers/lobbies tonight and outside of a select few matches, the games were overrun by KDR boosting cocksuckers.

Several matches of Conquest involved circle strafing apache + 2 tanks (manned by 2 sets of 2 engineers) spawn camping us for the entire match.

One match had a Blackhawk with 2 engineers (one gunning) sitting off in the distance firing on us in a game of Rush - with little to no way to take it down (he would drop behind cliffs when rockets/guns fire at it)... they were murdering us with it, so I eventually decided to get 2-3 people together and fire RPG's, we hit it, and he just landed it behind the hill, repaired, and repeated... this went on for an entire match of Rush on the big Jungle level.

Then the worst was another game of rush, full of 45-50's running over us within seconds... but refusing to arm the last crate each set until the last 15-20 lives were left. They just farmed us over and over.

I'm fine with my lack of skill/knowledge about this game, I'm still fiddling with classes, guns, turrets, vehicles etc... and outside of spotting, burst-firing and general attention to detail - I don't think I'm doing anything particularly well in this game... but it doesn't excuse entire teams (one conquest match was 8v4), using it as a means to boosted KDR. It was pretty clear in the first 2 minutes that our team was full of randoms and unable to coordinate or plan well enough to win... so just finish it and see who decides to play again. I don't want to play against assholes that just want to farm kills. At one point I think they all changed to Recon more or less, kept one crate (and the surrounding area) covered in C4, had a Tank parked watching it... but just dropped mortars and used their multi star M95's to wreck our shit.

I'll hold out for a couple more days, I have a good friend who has the game and is waiting for his Internet connection to be restored - so I might enjoy it more that way... but so far, the game hasn't done anything to make me want to go back to it... in fact it's making me want to buy the map pack for Reach and get into Invasion...

/rant.

TheSeks

Yes. Dropping KDR and balancing the air vehicles would stop most of that. But as it is there really is nothing left in the game to do once you reach 50 other than win quickly or boost KDR.

And you aren't the only one annoyed by the helcopters and KDR boosters. In fact JM and I had a game where we and most of our team ran up to the first set/taken base to spawn rape the enemy that was using the helicopter to KDR generate. In fact, IIRC, there was at least 5 of the motherfuckers on the helipad area. Hilarious now, but annoying at the time.

The "first spawn area is invincible" is such a stupid design decision. I understand it's to protect newbies, but after 5+ hours of dealing with people sitting in the initial spawn and camping with a sniper rifle, I want to kill rush in there, park my ass at the spawn points and knife the motherfuckers. I don't want to -500 crate blow and then camp the first set/our previous base just to do that. Stupid.

even not having visible stats anywhere in the universe period would deter half of the organized teams of spawn raping guys from doing it. they do it for fun, the stats boost is just an added bonus.

Pete Rock

Stripper13 said:
It was pretty clear in the first 2 minutes that our team was full of randoms and unable to coordinate or plan well enough to win... so just finish it and see who decides to play again.
Quit because at that point it isn't fun. Literally the instant you realize "what the fuck..." just quit and pull a new quick match on a different map so you won't get dumped into the same server. Do the same thing five minutes later when relatively identical behavior occurs there. If you aren't playing with a squad and you can't rely on anyone there's literally only so much you can do in the face of relative cohesion, let alone organized catassery.

As far as Blackhawk camping, unless they are a really amazing crew and constantly oscillate in slow backwards circles at a distance I'd say the best option is to snipe the pilot through the main window, particularly if they are already facing you by way of giving both the door gunners the narrow angles down the body of the aircraft.

Regardless, there really isn't a way a single guy should reliably be able to kill a good crew like that unless he has access to an AA gun, so again you might as well just leave. There is no point in not having fun with a game, particularly one which has a lot of depth and opportunities for all players when the skill levels are at parity.

I'll hold out for a couple more days, I have a good friend who has the game and is waiting for his Internet connection to be restored - so I might enjoy it more that way... but so far, the game hasn't done anything to make me want to go back to it... in fact it's making me want to buy the map pack for Reach and get into Invasion...
So due to a few frustrating games playing solo with shit teams against catassing 50's, you are inspired to pay $10 for DLC for a game with a completely broken vehicle sandbox in pursuit of a broken gametype which features a whopping 6 on 6 three tiered system of territories, territories and one flag - all with awful hit registration translated over a garbage peer host?

I find this unbelievable, either that or you are a glutton for punishment.

TheSeks

even not having visible stats anywhere in the universe period would deter half of the organized teams of spawn raping guys from doing it. they do it for fun, the stats boost is just an added bonus.

Removing stats would stop most of the dicks. For the ones that troll for fun, well, I dunno what you can do about that. As it is, they'll sit in their spawn and snipe (and proceed to lose if it's GAF) while boosting their KDR. If you removed the stats, it would make them have to at least attempt to come out to win games or they aren't getting anywhere.

TheSeks said:
Yes. Dropping KDR and balancing the air vehicles would stop most of that. But as it is there really is nothing left in the game to do once you reach 50 other than win quickly or boost KDR.

And you aren't the only one annoyed by the helcopters and KDR boosters. In fact JM and I had a game where we and most of our team ran up to the first set/taken base to spawn rape the enemy that was using the helicopter to KDR generate. In fact, IIRC, there was at least 5 of the motherfuckers on the helipad area. Hilarious now, but annoying at the time.

The "first spawn area is invincible" is such a stupid design decision. I understand it's to protect newbies, but after 5+ hours of dealing with people sitting in the initial spawn and camping with a sniper rifle, I want to kill rush in there, park my ass at the spawn points and knife the motherfuckers. I don't want to -500 crate blow and then camp the first set/our previous base just to do that. Stupid.
There needs to be a 20 minute timer per set of crates in Rush. If you can't blow them up in that 20 minutes, you lose. I think that would help to move some people out of their invulnerable spawn base.

TheSeks

Darkshier said:
There needs to be a 20 minute timer per set of crates in Rush. If you can't blow them up in that 20 minutes, you lose. I think that would help to move some people out of their invulnerable spawn base.

That would be a horrible way of going. It prevents the ability to stealth/sneak into the base and think of a way through a chokepoint/good defense.

There does need to be a way to get people to stop sitting in their bases though. So fucking boring to stop their first attempt, get them to 50 tickets and... snipe... snipe... snipe... snipe... snipe... snipe... snipe... snipe... *yawn* ... snipe snipe snipe...

TheSeks said:
Removing stats would stop most of the dicks. For the ones that troll for fun, well, I dunno what you can do about that. As it is, they'll sit in their spawn and snipe (and proceed to lose if it's GAF) while boosting their KDR. If you removed the stats, it would make them have to at least attempt to come out to win games or they aren't getting anywhere.
people spawn killed in 1943 and you didn't even get points for it! people, especially in groups, will do it just for fun.

Darkshier said:
less is more, just drop invincible spawns and let the defenders go to the campers, at the risk their base being open for squad spawn ownage.

vixlar

I don't get it. Many people complains about the Apache Circle Strafers. In Vietnam they made the helicopters vulnerable to normal bullets, and now they are complaining about paper choppers.

vixlar said:
I don't get it. Many people complains about the Apache Circle Strafers. In Vietnam they made the helicopters vulnerable to normal bullets, and now they are complaining about paper choppers.
maybe people just want balanced choppers like BC1...

olimpia84

Atacama Rush sucks on defense because of all the campers on the attacking team that sit in the base and don't even attempt to arm the mcoms so it takes forever to finish the round getting their tickets all the way down. Attack round is fun though

poppabk

olimpia84 said:
Atacama Rush sucks on defense because of all the campers on the attacking team that sit in the base and don't even attempt to arm the mcoms so it takes forever to finish the round getting their tickets all the way down. Attack round is fun though
Arica Harbor is the worst if you actually manage to defend the first set. It doesn't happen very often now, because most people known how to tank snipe, but it takes forever to wear down the tickets as people drive up in a tank, tank gets hit, people bail before it explodes and return to get another tank or begin the slow trudge to the base.

olimpia84 said:
i love that map, i spend the whole first set waiting for a stray vehicle so i can steal the HIND.

TheSeks

poppabk said:
Arica Harbor is the worst if you actually manage to defend the first set. It doesn't happen very often now, because most people known how to tank snipe, but it takes forever to wear down the tickets as people drive up in a tank, tank gets hit, people bail before it explodes and return to get another tank or begin the slow trudge to the base.

Pfft. That's when you take the tanks to their base and own them. Rock and I and two randoms did that yesterday. They kept getting me on repairing Rock (who kept fucking moving. >:| :mad:) and we kept their tanks and stuff in check. They took B, but never sniped A, bizzarely.

abuC

poppabk said:

Drive your tank out of your base, veer right and go over the small hill. You can pound the attackers and the uav station and half the time they have no clue where you are. That's a great hunting ground and moat people don't expect to get shelled from there, you can hide near tank hulls and pop out when they drive by.

Fersis

I like Atacama Desert because i love to kill tanks and choppers :3

Top Bottom