• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 |OT2| See, Spot, Run

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Teknoman said:
I wish there was a PC demo for this. I'm still on the fence, and with Battlefield 3 on the way...now i'm really not sure.

*looks back to Jan-Feb. 2010 when you could've tried BC2 on all the platforms for nearly a month*

Problem, Tek? *EAtrollface.jpg*

Just buy it. At this point the PC version is what... $20-40? It doesn't really need a VIP code the console versions do so you get 4 new maps for free, and can pay $15 or less for Vietnam for four other new maps.

Plus it will last you for the months ahead to BF3.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Teknoman said:
I wish there was a PC demo for this. I'm still on the fence, and with Battlefield 3 on the way...now i'm really not sure.
Its been as low as $4.95 I think in sales, definitely close to it.

zlatko

Banned
poppabk said:
Its been as low as $4.95 I think in sales, definitely close to it.

Right now Amazon has the game ready for download for 16 bucks. Vietnam for 7.

That's a helluva deal for a game you can play all the way to November when BF3 will drop. Worth it in my book.

Soma

meppi said:
About 70% of the time I'd say. ;)
Awesome. It was pretty funny when the opposite happened.

"Yeah good job guys despite letting the enemy flank us on not one but two occassions!"

I've really been enjoying Rush mode. Conquest is aight but god I hate Laguna Presa.

Though pretty much

if you have a great squad and team = this game is ridiculously fun.

if your squad/team sucks = still kinda fun other than the fact th- WHY THE FUCK ARENT YOU REVIVING ME YOU ASSHOLE

MrBig

Gave it more of a try today and couldn't get much fun out of it. Maybe If I get some of my friends to play it it will be better

TheSeks

MrBig said:
Gave it more of a try today and couldn't get much fun out of it. Maybe If I get some of my friends to play it it will be better

Okay?

Edit: Ah, like I thought. HaloGAF. This plays completely different from Halo. Either you're going to like it or you aren't. And it sounds like you aren't.
---
Meanwhile come back to the game. Hit 200 Skill Rank in DICE terms finally. *RaptorJesusCampTears.gif*

No rust even after not playing heavily in a week. 14-7, 14-3, 11-3, 20-6 or something like that. Medic, Assault, some shitty sniping (can't get mid-range enemies worth a damn. :/). Points, and second in leaderboard, points and second in leaderboard everywhere.

MrBig

TheSeks said:
Okay?

Edit: Ah, like I thought. HaloGAF. This plays completely different from Halo. Either you're going to like it or you aren't. And it sounds like you aren't.
I have no idea what you are trying to say here. I absolutely loved BC1 and 1943, as I had said in here before I bought the game a couple days ago. It's just I don't have much of a friends list built up on the PC side.

Teknoman

TheSeks said:
*looks back to Jan-Feb. 2010 when you could've tried BC2 on all the platforms for nearly a month*

Problem, Tek? *EAtrollface.jpg*

Just buy it. At this point the PC version is what... $20-40? It doesn't really need a VIP code the console versions do so you get 4 new maps for free, and can pay $15 or less for Vietnam for four other new maps.

Plus it will last you for the months ahead to BF3.

zlatko said:
Right now Amazon has the game ready for download for 16 bucks. Vietnam for 7.

That's a helluva deal for a game you can play all the way to November when BF3 will drop. Worth it in my book.

Can you use the Amazon codes on steam?

TheSeks

No. But you can "target outside game" through steam.

TheSeks

slidewinder said:
EA's got the main game on DD for $10 in case that would make a difference.

He wants it through Steam for easier patching, I guess. :/

PC gamers are getting lazy now a days. BACK IN MY DAY YOU HAD TO HUNT FOR PATCHES FOR THE ARENA SHOOTERS EVERYTIME YOU HAD TO SCRUB THE OS AND YOU LIKED IT. *rocking chair motions*

Teknoman

Damn it, I didnt even think to look at the EA store site. Feel like one of those cartoon's whose face turns into a sucker when they realized what happened.

Either way, i'm the proud owner of BFBC2 and Vietnam now.

TheSeks

Now play with PC GAF if there is any left.
*paging Cuban Legend who will taunt me to buy BF3 on PEE CEE again*

Edit: Also make it your goal to reach 50 in Bad Company 2. By the time you do that, Battlefield 3 will be out and probably as cheap as BC2 is now for you to get. ;) ;)

Teknoman

TheSeks said:
Now play with PC GAF if there is any left.
*paging Cuban Legend who will taunt me to buy BF3 on PEE CEE again*

Edit: Also make it your goal to reach 50 in Bad Company 2. By the time you do that, Battlefield 3 will be out and probably as cheap as BC2 is now for you to get. ;) ;)

Nah i'll definitely be grabbing B3 at launch. Earlier I was torn between Black Ops and BC2, and for some reason ended up getting neither. Burned out on the whole CoD style of things, so i'll be sticking with the squad tactics of Battlefield for awhile.

Mr Sandman said:
Night and I have been playing it a lot these last few days (after like a 2 week break). We just don't post after every match. Sure there's plenty of people on mumble to play with.

PS The retail/EA downloaded game checks and auto-updates when you launch it, so it's just as easy as Steam.
Come into mumble and if you don't see me in the BFBC2 Channel, I'm probably chilling in Tea Time, if you offer to play: 9/10 times, I will say yes.

olimpia84

So what would you guys do if you join a random conquest game on Nelson Bay and see that all the flags are capped by the enemy and your team is down by more than 200 tickets?? Probably quit right? ;P
Well, I decided to hang on (giving up on that round pretty much and wait for the next one) but I gave a shot and made my greatest comeback in BC2. Sure, it was a 3 on 3 match for the most part (although towards the end they got an extra dude so it was 3 vs 4) but still, the feeling of accomplishment as we were taking the flags down first and strategically move and predict the opponent's next move was amazing.
Oh, and the enemy wasn't just anybody: two level 50s and one level 48 while my team was two level 50s and one level 33. Towards the end I was screaming to my squadmates to switch to medic in order to save tickets...it was awesome.

Pete Rock

Does the Vietnam PB boat glitch still exist or was I imagining things? Was having a blast with Vietnam Rush just rolling solo M40 on some low levels, and then two 50's show up and my first killcam in 30 minutes was the shadow of this goddamn boat rendered against the surface of the water, spraying lead into the hillside.

At the same time I remembered Faceless mentioning the kit options reset after switching between back and forth between Vanilla BC2 & Vietnam. Sure enough, they still hadn't fixed that either.

Or the W/L ending cinematics, which are even more important given the presentation of Vietnam. It's funny because they are effectively minor issues but still aggravating. I know they don't particularly care with the steamroll for BF3 though.

Still, for the price I've been trying to sell all my buddies on Vietnam, so far had success with two of my old 1943 squadmates and they've really enjoyed it so far. It really is a lot of fun and a good break from the standard vanilla matches. Plus my buddy rolls a medic with a flamethrower and that shit is just hilarious.

360_Cheerful%20Dub.png

Guess I need to start going for platinum on the other sniper rifles now, throwing ~10K points down the drain and I only have 500K before I hit General. Oh how I love the M24 though, it totally dashed my love affair with the GOL.

Calion

MarkMclovin said:
Hot damn the XM22 is a beast!

The iron sights on it are kinda weird, but other than that, it's solid.

Seks said:
Also make it your goal to reach 50 in Bad Company 2. By the time you do that, Battlefield 3 will be out and probably as cheap as BC2 is now for you to get. ;) ;)

That will take him atleast 300 hours to get.... I should be reaching 50 somewhat shortly....

Qwomo

I just picked this game up for the PC, and hopefully it'll be my go-to multiplayer experience after spending the better part of a decade with CSS and DODS.

That said, does anyone have any good any server recommendations? I can't really stand multiplayer games unless I'm playing with a good, regular community.

Teknoman said:
As long as people dont flip out about having a level 1 on their team :p
We'll be fine. As long as you don't flip out about not having essential class-specific items until your at least level 6... ;)

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Calion82v said:

That will take him atleast 300 hours to get.... I should be reaching 50 somewhat shortly....

I'm 46 or something and at almost 400 hrs (omg that's shocking to me I played so much of a game) and I have a pretty solid SPM.

TheSeks

Calion82v said:

Ironsights are only "weird" because it's the only gun to use them. Otherwise no. It's no where near as bad/weird to use as the M60. (And the M60 in Vietnam is weird, they shrunk the iron sights in that compared to vanilla. Too many people abusing it so throw them for a loop I guess?)

*That'sTheJokePoint.jpg*

Also Faceless needs to come back to me. ;___; I want someone to play Bad Company 1 with, esp. now that I sweettalked a Gamestop girl into letting me switch my ratty non-manual/non-box art BC1 case with a used BC1 case that looks nearly new and includes the boxart and manual. :D

OK guys, if you're faced with an opponent who is a demon attack chopper pilot (let's say on Port Valdez Rush or Oasis Rush), what would your advice be for taking them down?

Obviously you want somebody with warhead on the AA with at least one engineer repairing, and possibly with a medkit there as well to keep both gunner and repairer alive if possible. It also helps if you have somebody with Alt Weapons on the UAV. Any other tips, or amendments to those ones? A lot of my friends have an ace chopper pilot (skill level 200, 15,000+ attack chopper kills) on their PSN friends list so I find myself playing against this guy pretty much every match and need to figure out an effective team counter to him.

TheSeks

Tracer and your RPG. Or cry. Because the helicopter is broken and he knows it and he isn't OH SO SKILLFUL as he thinks he is "pro circling" a map for "fun."

endlessflood said:
OK guys, if you're faced with an opponent who is a demon attack chopper pilot (let's say on Port Valdez Rush or Oasis Rush), what would your advice be for taking them down?

Obviously you want somebody with warhead on the AA with at least one engineer repairing, and possibly with a medkit there as well to keep both gunner and repairer alive if possible. It also helps if you have somebody with Alt Weapons on the UAV. Any other tips, or amendments to those ones? A lot of my friends have an ace chopper pilot (skill level 200, 15,000+ attack chopper kills) on their PSN friends list so I find myself playing against this guy pretty much every match and need to figure out an effective team counter to him.

The best bet is to call Sir Carl of the house of Gustav. Most circle strafers have a pretty confined area so what you want to do is get on the outside of the circle and catch him with the Gustav while he is circling at you.

TheSeks

Dubbedinenglish said:
The best bet is to call Sir Carl of the house of Gustav. Most circle strafers have a pretty confined area so what you want to do is get on the outside of the circle and catch him with the Gustav while he is circling at you.

*circling in gunner seat, sees RPG'er coming out of a hole*
LOLOLOLOL
*blows him away over and over and over*

Helicopters are le broken, dude. >_>

TheSeks said:
*circling in gunner seat, sees RPG'er coming out of a hole*
LOLOLOLOL
*blows him away over and over and over*

Helicopters are le broken, dude. >_>

I know >.>, that's the best way though. Otherwise band together an elite grouping of bush wookies with M95s. At least 3 does major damage to choppers with constant fire....but tracers work both ways.

TheSeks

I dunno. We've gone down this path before and I've publicly stated I think all the anti-air options now outside of the tracer+RPG (and you have to pray to god they aren't running V SMOKE) are as useless as a wet fart in the wind.

I am just hoping that the helicopter (and the jets) in battlefield 3 are not noobified and you can't use circle tactics. I would like it to be more along the lines of how it was in bad company 1. The chopper was way more balanced in that. I also want to see them drop perks completely and possibly implement something like in medal of honor with weapon customization.

Qwomo

Are there actually any PC servers with a good community? I hopped on a few tonight and there was 0 voice chat and practically no text chat. Surely it isn't always like that all the time? Perhaps Source games have spoiled me.

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys. The tracer won't work because this guy runs smoke as his perk. M2, AT4, and M95 don't really work against him in general, or at least not reliably: this guy circle strafes very fast and fairly high once the AA is eliminated.

The only way we (we're talking about a squad of four pretty experienced level 50s) have been able to shoot him down so far has been to have one person on the AA with two engineers repairing it and another on the UAV with Alt Fire. This pilot will generally use the rockets to snipe the AA at a range where you can't really hit him with rockets (and positioned at the edge of a mountain) and he's disturbingly accurate with the rockets at that distance (often getting headshots on the AA gunner). Once you get vehicle damage on him he'll duck behind the mountain and repair and try again. When he does eventually eliminate the AA then he circle strafes and it's game over. The UAV can be useful because you can either force him to move more than he wants to (throwing off his long rnge rocket sniping), or chase him when he repairs and take them out on the ground. Sadly it takes four perfectly co-ordinated players to neutralise one, and if a random jumps on the AA or UAV first you lose the match.

If we do get him down then unfortunately we all have to hold stations since as soon as the chopper respawns he's back. So long as we're in a section of the game where the attack choppers spawn the four of us have to spend the entirety of our game time doing nothing but staring at blue sky or the side of an AA. It's the most tedious fucking experience ever and it makes me want to give up on this game entirely.

The only thing I haven't really tried is C4'd UAV.

endlessflood said:

2 Guys 2 M95s

if they're really good, the M95 is your best option

edit: also, on Oasis, you can shoot the chopper on the helipad where it spawns from the hill at the far left or far right if you're right up on the out of bounds area.

Jas

Qwomo said:
Are there actually any PC servers with a good community? I hopped on a few tonight and there was 0 voice chat and practically no text chat. Surely it isn't always like that all the time? Perhaps Source games have spoiled me.
Can't comment on any specific servers but hardly anyone uses the in game voice chat. It's been that way since the game launched.
Text chat gets used pretty often tho, so you should have better luck with that even if you are just joining random servers.

TheSeks

endlessflood said:
It's the most tedious fucking experience ever and it makes me want to give up on this game entirely.

Welcome to us bitching about the chopper being imbalanced.

Faceless said:

Until he notices the damage notifications, ducks behind a hill, repairs. And comes back to fuck you in the ass hard.

Come on, man, you know the choppers are imbalanced.

olimpia84

Good games last night with JJD and trizzy. As for the chopper whores out there the best bet is to have somebody at the AA gun with an engineer repairing constantly and a medic nearby in case the gunner gets shot. Easier said than done, but I don't see any other effective method of taking them down.

Calion

recklessmind said:
I'm 46 or something and at almost 400 hrs (omg that's shocking to me I played so much of a game) and I have a pretty solid SPM.

Well, I said atleast because I'll hit 50 at about <~305 hours. : D

Qwomo said:
Join us on the PC-GAF mumble server, we use that for our voice-chat.

The BFBC2 guys usually chill in the "Tea Time" channel, ask us if you want to play and 9/10 times I will join in.

My steam is cuban_legend. I'm feeling battlefield for today btw. Make use of this! :D

The Faceless Master said:
2 Guys 2 M95s

edit: also, on Oasis, you can shoot the chopper on the helipad where it spawns from the hill at the far left or far right if you're right up on the out of bounds area.
I'm dubious about the M95 option but will give it a try anyway. And the Oasis tip is pure gold as always faceless, thank you!

endlessflood said:
I'm dubious about the M95 option but will give it a try anyway. And the Oasis tip is pure gold as always faceless, thank you!

On top of that left hill on oasis it is ~7 on the T-90 scope. I a little under I believe.

TheSeks

AT4 isn't a sure thing on consoles given the faster strafe speed of consoles vs the PC's hindered strafe speed.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
TheSeks said:
AT4 isn't a sure thing on consoles given the faster strafe speed of consoles vs the PC's hindered strafe speed.
Even on PC it is still difficult to pull off shots like in that video, but the 1 shot, 1 kill nature with the addition of mid flight correction must make it at least somewhat viable on consoles as well. When you are talking about an entire squad working together to be successful then a squad of AT4ers might also work.
PS I'm not sure why they went with the console helis being more maneuverable, when the aiming of the counter measures is more difficult on console. It seems like it should have been the other way around.

Pete Rock

M24, why can't I leave you?!

jaY43.jpg

Goddamn I need a capture card :(

Isla Inocentes Attack, I think average kills value was about 180 and we never even got past the shoreline. By the end of the game our team had converted to failed wookies and was infesting the island doing a poor job emulating my shenanigans. I reload once and turn around and all the sudden there are 4 copies of me in every spot I've been strafing between. Raaaaaage

Pete Rock

Calion82v said:
.....So, why are you mad by this?
Because the scoreboard looked like this the entire game, scaled from 1k up. There was no logical sense in even having another sniper because I was absolutely terrorizing the enemy and they were devoting a ton of resources to counter-sniping.

rQxdm.jpg

These guys didn't know how or care to use the Blackhawk & Bradley worth a shit and seemingly decided to stop attacking at about halfway through our ticket pool, change classes to sniper and then literally stand still in one of the three spots I had been alternating between.

The best two players on the enemy team did nothing but try and knife me the entire game and we still couldn't get B armed and defended, and I ended up blowing A with three mortar strikes spaced out. My sole squadmate was a medic helping with spotting and suppression of the knife happy 50's, so that left 10 other people to actually you know, do the damn thing.

As soon as I hit 7k it was like dogs on a bone, the majority of the team switched over to wookie suits and my island was brimming with lemmings about to leap off into the sea. In a sense it made the challenge for 10k raw combat score a little higher as I knew their behavior would make the tickets bleed out even faster, but it was just asinine overall.

In that same regard if they would have had their shit together we could have pushed even harder and I might have even had the opportunity to hit 100 kills with the pace of the match and the final third hill setup overlooking the last base. It was something strange tho regardless, I dunno if it was the best server I've ever had a connection to, the movement patterns of the enemies, it all just clicked in a sickening way.

In true BF fashion all the best players on the opposite team sent me frs or ggs, so that made up for my failure of a team in at least some regard.

Top Bottom