• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 |OT2| See, Spot, Run

todahawk

recklessmind said:
I know right?

I'm going on break... away at school. :/

Actually I'm quite excited for a summer of studies on the beach... :) just can't bring a PS3. Though bikinis are about as good an alternative as one could wish for.

Hopefully you'll be around in the fall and for BF3!!!!

Hey, there are worse ways to spend the summer!
Yeah, I'll be there day one for BF3, I'm hoping to spend a chunk of this summer getting the rust off my FPS skills. I've barely touched my PS3 :( but at least I'll have my MFA soon :)

Been playing a lot of Homefront MP. It's a solid game and I love the gunplay, but went back to BC2 this past Sunday with some friends, and my god, nothing can match how epic the battles are. The soundscape + the scale are unmatched.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
endlessflood said:
My buddy Loco made another BFBC2 assault recon montage, maybe I'm biased but I think it's pretty good :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SRmsq4KFaE&fhd=1
Nice, but true assault recons carry shotguns or the VSS.
Shotgun recon and trackpad user checking in:
5b3dja.jpg

Mr. Snrub said:
Been playing a lot of Homefront MP. It's a solid game and I love the gunplay, but went back to BC2 this past Sunday with some friends, and my god, nothing can match how epic the battles are. The soundscape + the scale are unmatched.
No game can match the epic of Bad Company 2. The destructible environments alone place it on another level than all other shooters.

@Face, Nice maneuvers in that Apache last night. I thought we were almost done for when we were battling that other chopper. I managed to just wing it with some dirty aimed shots and take that fucker down though, so awesome.

Pete Rock

endlessflood said:
My buddy Loco made another BFBC2 assault recon montage, maybe I'm biased but I think it's pretty good :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SRmsq4KFaE&fhd=1
Awesome, inspires me to try out some 4x quick/no scoping myself, really nice work there. I can imagine he's a nightmare working on the immediate perimeters, moving to flanks constantly and then C4ing the fuck out of everyone , hah. The M95 clip with double doubles was also great, but working that GOL at close range like no other is just too funny. I remember seeing the last one you posted but forgetting to comment, both were very enjoyable to watch. I like his video editing touches with the blood and bullethole effects, it's not too overdone and the flashing heartbeat sequence was cool, had my sound off and I immediately knew what was coming regardless. Zombie wookie revenge straight out the grave, rarrr!

Another reason BF3 needs a theater mode announced like, yesterday!

endlessflood said:
Does anyone in GAF actually have stats that are anywhere near that good?
I don't think so, that's just ridiculous overall. Although I have some acquaintances I met in various matches ranked within the top 2k on 360, and I also met a chopper pilot the other day who sent me a squad invite when I was rolling with Crisco/Clyde and another buddy. We all ran them through on Oasis and his flying was impeccable, netting me a 30/0 and our top squad medal, so I sent him an FR. His rank? 56th on the entire platform!

Sometimes I forget how much you can destroy when you roll with two squads of very competitive players, so if you never play with randoms and always are on point I suppose your stats would reflect that. The amount of kills that guy has with all his weapons are really outrageous though. 3K kills with 870 in 28 hours, and nearly 10k apiece for a MG36/GOL? Ridiculous!

bean breath said:
FUUUUUU
That's my favorite rifle too, but I've never gotten close to that many kills in a game with it and all on the first set? Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiii-et.
We did take the first island so the score was accumulated across both sets, but my team really stopped even trying on the shoreline relative to the pressure they maintained on the first set.

Also, Faceless would like to know if you were sniping from Revis Island?
I'm not familiar with that reference but I did put together a video this weekend illustrating my setup and a stereotypical game of Isla. It's not nearly as good as the game from the scoreboard I posted last week but I try to fast forward through all the downtime and obscured shots through foliage to give an idea where I got those points at.

BC2: Recon Attack Sniping

The only difference would be that in the previous high scoring game I stayed at the first hill sandbags and sniped for a few +300's at guys on the roofs/hills near the B shack before moving to the shallow slope near the mounted gun hill on the island, but they took shots at me while I was moving down so they were asking for it. Then once I'm repositioned I just alternate between sides of that slope on the island, and if I start catching too much fire or keep getting spotted I slide down to the far sides of the hill or push up through the water to the backside of that first shallow island to keep it mixed up.

I wish I would have had a better game on Operation Hastings as I really love that triangle configuration for sniping but unfortunately they all quit after that set and we ran through the next two with zero resistance. Similarly after the shoreline Isla beatdown these guys just gave up and it wasn't even worth fast forwarding through the rest of the third base as it folded immediately. I think the highest ranking defenders got in the HIND, didn't kill anyone with it, and left the base unattended. Wookie in the LMG tower was like one of six people on premises, heh.

Also don't hate me, I've simply been putting this XIM3 device through its paces by whoring out the recon class as much as possible. Partly because I find it requires the most minute adjustments and finesse for killshots at various ranges, but also because I spent the entire front end of my BC2 career ranking up everything else, so I've earned my time on those hills by never spending any there to begin with. At least that's how I feel about it, Mr. "oh I'm an 18 and I see you on top with ~K points let me pull out my ghillie suit and join you lolol" :|

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Pete Rock said:
Sometimes I forget how much you can destroy when you roll with two squads of very competitive players, so if you never play with randoms and always are on point I suppose your stats would reflect that.

I notice when I'm rolling with the gaf crew my SPM usually dips... just because there aren't enough points/kills to go around when you're steamrolling the other team.

Pete Rock

recklessmind said:
I notice when I'm rolling with the gaf crew my SPM usually dips... just because there aren't enough points/kills to go around when you're steamrolling the other team.
It certainly can be a double edged sword, you just need to be on the leading edge of it and doing whatever is necessary to support your team even if you don't care for it to keep the point totals up. I find not only are my games more enjoyable, but I put up even more ridiculous scores on the regular doing medic/engy routines of old.

If you are talking about straight up steamrolling the enemy team, then yeah that's not really fun or challenging whether you are playing with GAF or not. I was running with a buddy who picked up the game just last week, and every time he makes a squad and joins a game it's filled with low level players, I mean sub ~20 low level.

It's not even remotely challenging for me to play those guys, even though my buddy is having intense combat situations while making mistakes and learning the ropes. I'm sitting there with my defrib paddles and lmg fucking entire squads up just yawning, running to revive him every odd ninety seconds.

I meant "destroy" more in the context of accumulating legitimately high point totals against evenly balanced teams, in terms of raw skill and in terms of how competitive they are playing during that round.

In the same context of being bored playing against low level enemies, I cannot honestly stand to be point man on their team against a squad of 50's because the same thing happens, every, damn, time. I get spotted everywhere I go, I get shot at by 8 people wherever I go, and the whole time these mooks just sit in the spawn zone waiting to get ran over. Best case scenario, I don't get shot, I flank into their base and right as I am setting up to silently murder the 50's who've been raping me and everyone else - BAM - three fools spawn in my silent bush and let loose with 300 rounds of traced LMG ammunition pointing us out like I'm Wile E Coyote for crying out loud.

Who knows, maybe if I'm really lucky I might spend the entirety of a game hunting their chopper, shooting it down, flanking to helipad for the steal then as I'm repairing it some level 14 wookie may spawn, steal it from me and then fly it into the side of a mountain. This type of shit is like the opposite of BF moments, lets call them Toyota moments. Oh what a feeling, indeed. The paradox of Battlefield.

In this regard I'm interested and hopeful for seeing a lot of these mechanics evolve in the third iteration, particularly squad spawning. You can't have the highs without the lows, but there has to be some middle ground that doesn't involve shrinking maps, removing features and creating a musical chair spawning system in an appeal to what remains of the reptilian brain.

todahawk

recklessmind said:

loving the new sig!
reminds me that i need to find a new one :(

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Jesus Christ, Cal. What the hell were you and the rest of those randoms doing on Harvest Day? :|

(Take first set pretty quick despite being a man down)
*Second round drags*

"Well, they want to tank whore while our dumbass randoms sit there with their thumbs up their ass tank whoring? FINE!"

*get close and steal THEIR tank and line it out of bounds near their base. Dumbass gets in but at least is firing somewhere I dunno where, after five minutes I get tired of that shit*

(Spawn sniper, Headshot Stationary AT defender hitting our tank, take out a dude with a Rex. ARM A. Hoof it over a hill after arming and headshot a dude nearly disarming A. Mortar strike A. BAM A taken)

Cue having to MOVE THE FUCKING TANKS UP MYSELF because the dumbasses won't at least sacrifice them so SOMEONE can arm.

And then the last set:

A's taken. Cal and random go to B. Get taken out. Spawn on them. Cal is taken out, medic. C4 Assault.

"SATAN GUIDE MY C4!"
(Rush down stairs, C4 C4, C4 C4)
BLAM!

Seks <C4> DumbassDefender1
(throw last C4 in there as building is collapsing)
Seks <C4/D2.0 (forget)>DumbassDefender 2

(And probably got two teamkills on Cal and dumbass random, but fuck it. I'm tired of sitting there arming it and dragging that round. I wanted the win and got it. >:|

39 Kills
9 Deaths

4651 Score with Cal in 4100 or something like that score.

Can you guess what I got?

Right, the Ace pin because I have to do everything against those defenders at times because fucking randoms wanted to pad their KDR. :|

Mr. Snrub said:

Wow. People play Homefront?! I thought it bombed hard. :/

Evolved said:

Meh. Just means you have to be the right class (medic/assault/engineer) at the right time. The race for the ace pin is half the fun during those steamrolls. Though generally Rock or Abu get them more than me. (But I have beaten them a few times so it isn't impossible)

olimpia84

Good games last night with JJD, I think we won them all. However, I'm still getting occasional disconnects and bad rubberbanding...I'm almost positive these issues are not on my end.

Matchmaking is also horrible and broken; we played a bunch of games last night and for the most part it was 6 vs 6. Not that I care really as I still had fun playing but I refuse to believe the game couldn't add more people throughout the many hours we played.

Calion

TheSeks said:
Jesus Christ, Cal. What the hell were you and the rest of those randoms doing on Harvest Day? :|

On the first set, I was raining hell down on their sets in the tank.

On the second set, I usually milk out the tickets and arm when we have ~35 tickets left on that particular set. (I armed B about 3 times before it finally went off)

On the third set, I snuck around into a building and waited a few minutes for our squad to spawn on me, then armed and destroyed the M-COM right next to the building.

On the final set, I wasted no time. I destroyed A immediately, and armed B atleast 3 times until you 2.0'd the building.

TheSeks said:
Can you guess what I got?

Right, the Ace pin because I have to do everything against those defenders at times because fucking randoms wanted to pad their KDR. :|

Ehh, it wasn't really all you. On the second set, we had a random smoking the entire area which helped and we all had our fair share of destroyed M-COMs. It was somewhat balanced.

poppabk

Calion82v said:
Ehh, it wasn't really all you. On the second set, we had a random smoking the entire area which helped and we all had our fair share on destroyed M-COMs. It was somewhat balanced.
It sucks that they didn't figure out a way to award points for using smoke, hope they have it figured out for BF3.

Calion

poppabk said:
It sucks that they didn't figure out a way to award points for using smoke, hope they have it figured out for BF3.

I couldn't agree more. Eliminating tracers and spots are vital in choke points.

Calion82v said:
I couldn't agree more. Eliminating tracers and spots are vital in choke points.
Definately, they also need to do the same thing with countermeasures, but make it so you can only use them once. Or have an excessively long recharge time.

You guys are probably not impressed but this felt like some Rambo stuff for me.

It was Rush on Arica Harbor, the second part in the town, objective A. I blew a hole in the wall with a 40mm grenade, killed two guys instantly, then unloaded my F2000 magazine and killed another guy. I didn't want to reload, so I took out my sidearm, shot a guy in the head, then I picked up a recon kit by accident trying to arm the charge. I did arm the charge, but then I set C4 anyway since I had it, and it knocked the building down, destroyed the objective and I got a "Destruction 2.0" on some guy who was probably on the second floor. And I lived.

I wish I was that lucky all the time.

Evolved1

Schmattakopf said:

It was Rush on Arica Harbor, the second part in the town, objective A. I blew a hole in the wall with a 40mm grenade, killed two guys instantly, then unloaded my F2000 magazine and killed another guy. I didn't want to reload, so I took out my sidearm, shot a guy in the head, then I picked up a recon kit by accident trying to arm the charge. I did arm the charge, but then I set C4 anyway since I had it, and it knocked the building down, destroyed the objective and I got a "Destruction 2.0" on some guy who was probably on the second floor. And I lived.

Battlefield Moment ™

Teknoman

Schmattakopf said:

Wow nice.

Evolved1

TheSeks said:
Meh. Just means you have to be the right class (medic/assault/engineer) at the right time. The race for the ace pin is half the fun during those steamrolls. Though generally Rock or Abu get them more than me. (But I have beaten them a few times so it isn't impossible)

Yeah... I'm usually in the hunt. But it's rare (imo) to see anyone drop more than 4000 or something like that while we're rolling. This is especially true when you have pussie attackers who won't leave their spawn. I guess counter-snip recon you could get some points, but I'm usually half asleep by then. They wait till everyone is taking a nap and less than 15 tickets before they grow balls.

There should be a "wingman" pin for finishing second, so I could point to that and say "SEE! I DONT SUCK!"

Teknoman

Schmattakopf said:
Thanks! It was kinda lucky, even with the F2000 because I was just unloading into the smoke, but it was definitely a Battlefield Moment ™.

Im definitely going to have to get online this weekend. First time, but hopefully i'll see something like that happen.

BloodElfHunter said:
I'm just coming back to this game, I love it. I've loved the entire BF series except BC1 strangely...Is the Vietnam expansion pack worth it?

I say it's worth it. Given me a chance to use recon a little more often to earn more C4/TNT & Mortar kills

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Rock: That's why you go for A over B at Last Set Atacama. >:| A can be blown away/no cover to where it's hard to ARM or even get at. B has cover and you can cheese it through walls if all else fails.

Doesn't help that I'm moving the tank up slowly only to get C4'ed without noticing on the mini-map. :/

Cal said:
Ehh, it wasn't really all you. On the second set, we had a random smoking the entire area which helped and we all had our fair share of destroyed M-COMs. It was somewhat balanced.

Oh, I know. But that second set I'm sitting there like "WHY THE FUCK IS EVERYONE HANGING BACK!? WE NEED TO ARM THE DAMN THINGS! >:| :mad:"

I did notice you (or was that the random) smoke B when I moved the tank up there to try to defend it only to get C4'ed or Bradley'ed away. :/ Whoever did that was smart. But I kinda prefer taking A over B on second and third set there.

vixlar

olimpia84 said:
I'm taking a break from the battlefield ( going on vacation to Spain for 10 days, maybe i'll run into Rock :p )

Oooh, Spain!!! Espero que te diviertas mucho (n_n)

In other news, my life without BF is a nightmare. I need it. Hopefully, my xbox will return in 2 weeks.

Was about to get roadkilled by one of those buggies when for some reason I pressed b right at the point of impact and wound up driving the thing. Took me a moment to realize the guy bailed on it and I was still alive, I thought I was watching the killcam.

meppi

bean breath said:
Was about to get roadkilled by one of those buggies when for some reason I pressed b right at the point of impact and wound up driving the thing. Took me a moment to realize the guy bailed on it and I was still alive, I thought I was watching the killcam.
Hehe, good stuff.

Would pay good money to see the look on that guys face. :)

Last night I played with randoms since no one else was on and so I jump on a quad from a squadmate, who immediately takes off.
Speeding through just about anything we get thrown at us, at which point I realize that he's not going to just park the thing nicely at the end, so I get ready for when he bails and leaves me bobbing along the way as a sacrificial lamb.

When he does so at a completely random point, I immediately take over the wheel and drive off like nothing happened while he gets a load of bullets to the face since he bailed right next to a group of enemies.
Fun times.

bean breath said:

That's the coolest thing I've ever heard lolol

The Faceless Master said:
gotta love it when you're the one doing the choppa ho-ing on Oasis :D

and man, was that a perfect cameo or what on Valparaiso?
I don't know, I'm torn on that cameo, lol. I can respect the timing and placement of the chopper for sure, definitely pro-tier cameo skills there.

But what if the chopper wasn't spewing black smoke? The smoke made that cameo. I was looking at it and wondering "is it? no... well, maybe? Oh shit it is!". It was too good, ("If I have one complaint about your cameo it's that it's almost too good") it blended in too much.

You needed to take it up a level. Fly in reverse, sideways, ghostride the chopper as you slowly come in to view, panning down the screen with your parachute.

My cameos have been lackluster as of late. I can't find the right mark to stand in to get good angles. I had that one on Arica where I spent like 5 minutes looking for the radio on the ground that the tank crushes. I need to do some research.

bean breath said:
I don't know, I'm torn on that cameo, lol. I can respect the timing and placement of the chopper for sure, definitely pro-tier cameo skills there.

But what if the chopper wasn't spewing black smoke? The smoke made that cameo. I was looking at it and wondering "is it? no... well, maybe? Oh shit it is!". It was too good, ("If I have one complaint about your cameo it's that it's almost too good") it blended in too much.
i'm dying laughing here! for a split second, even i was thinking "wait, where... THATS DAMN AMAZING!"

You needed to take it up a level. Fly in reverse, sideways, ghostride the chopper as you slowly come in to view, panning down the screen with your parachute.

My cameos have been lackluster as of late. I can't find the right mark to stand in to get good angles. I had that one on Arica where I spent like 5 minutes looking for the radio on the ground that the tank crushes. I need to do some research.
yeah, i gotta do something like reverse, or come around from the back or something...

what really gets me is on Isla, the defenders always seem to come after me when i'm trying to cameo on the hill... wtf guys, your crates are armed, you're going the wrong way!

Evolved1

Hopefully this post doesn't come off really douchey... but bean breath your avatar grates on my OCD-lite. Here's another version with some transparency that will center it more... w/o breaking size limit. Feel free to use it or tell me to fuck off... whatever.

AbXsg.gif

Pete Rock

So what is the official term for the killcam move where the enemy sniper holds a grenade throw while crouching and spinning in circles? This is a disturbing trend.

meppi

What I hate about these online games so much is that sometimes you have the time of your life and everything flows just like it should, even though you end up losing a match here or there. It's all good and you're having fun.

Yet other days, no matter what you do or how many different servers you join, it's all pure shit.
Loaded with 8-10 lame duck medics and 2 snipers, so when you kill someone, 3 other run over to revive him even if they are on defense. FFS
Lots of other shitty tactics mixed in off course, but I don't want to rant for a page and a half. :-/

Tonight over the course of 3 hours, we joined 8 different servers and they all were pure garbage.
Lame bitches on the opposite team and plenty of morons who weren't smart enough to point the barrel of a gun away from themselves as opposed to aiming by looking into the barrel themselves and pulling the trigger.
My God, if this went on all the time, I would give up on the game.

Seems like this sort of shit is most prevalent during the weekend and especially in the evening. pfff

recklessmind said:
Hopefully this post doesn't come off really douchey... but bean breath your avatar grates on my OCD-lite. Here's another version with some transparency that will center it more... w/o breaking size limit. Feel free to use it or tell me to fuck off... whatever.

AbXsg.gif
LOL, I appreciate the effort and will switch. It looks pretty weird to me, though.

poppabk

Pete Rock said:
So what is the official term for the killcam move where the enemy sniper holds a grenade throw while crouching and spinning in circles? This is a disturbing trend.
I think it is known as the "whats this grenade thing for, must be fireworks to celebrate my worthless kills, because god knows I won't ever get close enough to throw it at anyone" move.

meppi

The Faceless Master said:
Not on Laguna Presa!
When that happens, and it does quite often, I tend to countersnipe with the 870 and slugs just for shits 'n giggles.

For some reason it really annoys them when they can't kill you with an M95 from their spawn island, but you blow their heads off with a shotgun from the same distance. ;)

Lots of marksmanship points as well. :)

Top Bottom