• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 |OT2| See, Spot, Run

I might actually be getting better, just had the best round of my BC2 career:
intjVE.jpg

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Man, I'm bored. Let's see if P4F fixed their issues.

*logs in*

Oh, hey, reward beta items. For all my "current" characters? Not perma item for me?

Well, I'll make new characters so I have it for all cla--

2 slots only.

Updating the game takes forever.

Still two maps. Still class locked. Still sucks.

*GrandpaSimpson360.gif*

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
TheSeks said:
Man, I'm bored. Let's see if P4F fixed their issues.

*logs in*

Oh, hey, reward beta items. For all my "current" characters? Not perma item for me?

Well, I'll make new characters so I have it for all cla--

2 slots only.

Updating the game takes forever.

Still two maps. Still class locked. Still sucks.

*GrandpaSimpson360.gif*
I think theres 3 maps now.
But yeah Class locked so i dont think youll like it.
Huge improvement since the Beta though.

JonCha

Getting back into this, and on my first game went 12-2. Really enjoy this game once I get going.

Also added to the GAF 360 tag.

Cardigan

Just built a new PC and installed this puppy. I'm looking for some people to play with. I'm not total noobish since I played a decent amount on the 360, but I haven't played a shooter on the PC in a while. My in game name is jeffpm and my Steam ID is Cardigan.

Binabik15

I double dipped with the PC sale.

Does it make sense to use the same EA Id as on PS3? Because I don´t really remember it, derp. I mainly want to get a bit familiar with online FPS on pc before BF3 hits.

I also bought BF2 complete, to have BF2 on this Steam account as well. How does the whole veteran thing work?

Third question: What´s it with EA published games and zoomed desktops? I usually have my desktop at 150% to be able to read stuff from the couch, but first Crysis and now BC2 give me trouble because the mouse position doesn´t match the cursor, making it impossible to select something from the menu. Now I have to set it to 100% and squint really hard.

Fourth question: Any bluetooth headset recommendations, now that I have an online game AND a shiny new bluetooth dongle?

Nabs

For PC gaming I always recommend a regular ass microphone. Either a cheap desk mic, or a clip on from Zalman.

Binabik15

Nabs said:
For PC gaming I always recommend a regular ass microphone. Either a cheap desk mic, or a clip on from Zalman.

A mic? Wouldn´t that catch the game sounds, my cat complaining etc well?

Playing SP so far, it´s sooo much better than on PS3. I like it better than Crysis 2 so far, too. I know there´s some pretty lame stuff later on, but the historic mission and the village in the snow so far felt nice on pc. Muuuch better than MoH, too, so it´s not just that I´m blown away by superior kb+m.

Perfomance is mixed, though. I have it at 1080p with 2xMSAA, everything but shadows high, shadows med, vsync and HBAO off (but d3doverrider on).

I get 30-60 fps on my 5850 and i5 750, which isn´t THAT bad, but it´s so mixed. I can walk through the empty forrest with 30 fps, get 60 during a firefight going down to 50 during an explosion, walking through smoking and buring buildings at 55, only to drop back to 30 in the street next to the building. WTF. IT can´t be just the open space, can it, because I got 60 at the grass field with sunrays and stuff in the first mission (beautiful location, btw, I wish there was a MP map like that).

How´s MP compared to SP, do you get worse perfomance or did they drop details? Do 30 vs 60 fps matter much during online play, or is it negligible compared to latency and netcode?

edit: Finished eating, alt-tabbed back into the game, took a screenshot of a pretty tire laying in the rubble, walk around a corner, suddenly two quads with two guys each park right in front of me. Sadly I had the 40mm equiped and missed because I was so startled. Panicked, got confused with the weapons numbers. Pressed one, got the LMG up and mowed them all down like Rambo. I love moments like that.

Nabs

I have a similar set up, and I never get drops that crazy. I use DX11, so I disable D3Doverrider with BC2. Maybe that's it?

Jinaar

This post is your basic e-peen post. I've 'worked' hard to get to a goal I set for myself in Bad Company 2, to basically get 200 Best Pin awards if I could. I broke it between the two platforms just because I've invested in BC2 on Steam this last weekend and I am loving being back with the KB/M, which reduced my time on the 360.

The whole point of this for myself was to really focus on team play and add the most to the squad and team. By doing so, I got so much more mileage out of the game and every day I keep playing loving it more and more. Each time you spawn in this game, anything can happen, and to me its fresh and rewarding. Wiping off the drool from my chin, I just love what DICE has provided and BF3 cannot come soon enough.

jNdpE.jpg

ZQtBy.jpg

QTOLz.jpg

wynJs.jpg

CzarTim

It took me forever to start getting kills. Finally realized that the medic spec is my best bet. For some reason I can shoot the assault spec's rifle.

TheSeks

Totally offtopic, but for Faceless: There's a stream called "FreeStepDodge" that is streaming DoA3, I remember you playing it against some pros in the day?

Only 19 viewers, though, I didn't know DOA was nicher than Virtua Fighter. Damn, yo.

xclaw

Well coming from a lvl 50 on PS3 to PC, I have to say the community on the PS3 at least in my opinion seems alot more fun. There's something just off without having any verbal communication with your squad or at least in all the matches I've played over the weekend. I'm sure it's the same and maybe even better if your playing with an entire team of friends and use mumble or something but as a casual gamer I find it fairly lacking.

Other than that the visuals are just amazing on PC compared to what I've become accustomed to on the PS3, I think I'll continue to play both and see if I can't grow into some PC server community.

Nabs

I think voice chat was broken at release, so I'm guessing most people just gave up on it. I hate when games skip out on having mic settings and a mic test.

If you ever get tired of playing alone, the mumble server is always open.

Reposting, for those of you who bought BFBC2 or Vietnam on PC recently from the Steam Sale:

Cuban Legend said:
Now's your chance to get in on the PC-GAF action! Join your brothers on the PC-GAF Mumble Server!

Please come into mumble and find me (Cuban Legend) join the Tea Time channel where I usually hang out. If your mic isn't working, type a text message into the channel, I will hear/see it and I will help you setup your mic and speakers if necessary. Then introduce yourself and before you leave PLEASE REMEMBER to share your steamID with me. so I may add you to notify you of when we start to play so you may join mumble if you desire to join in.

There are enough of you that if even just you new guys meet up in the mumble server , you'll be able to have 1 or 2 fulls quads to go roll into a server with.

Enron

Banned
Is it just me, or is the PC version of this game just a wasteland of kdr kids? Ever since i started playing on PC a few days ago, i've yet to get into a game where there's any effort at all to actually win a match. Instead its just camp or take off in vehicles.

Ok, the game wont run when i launch it in steam. I click run and it shows a white screen then nothing comes up, whats wrong? It happened after i switched monitors, was fine with previous monitor.

Binabik15

Nabs said:
I have a similar set up, and I never get drops that crazy. I use DX11, so I disable D3Doverrider with BC2. Maybe that's it?

No idea, but in the later chapters I get 60 fps 99% of the time, explosions and all. Maybe chapter 2 is broken in some weird way?

I have another problem, though. I can´t get into MP, heck, not even the server list. I logged into my EA account and chose my soldier name yesterday and got to the server browser no problem. Then I tried it a few minutes later and right now, but both times it gave me an "Unable to login. Please retry." message.

Is it Punkbuster or something? Never really used that, tried to play CS once, Punkbuster didn´t work and I didn´t touch that crap for years.

PS: Shooting stuff is sooo good in this game.

Binabik15 said:
No idea, but in the later chapters I get 60 fps 99% of the time, explosions and all. Maybe chapter 2 is broken in some weird way?

I have another problem, though. I can´t get into MP, heck, not even the server list. I logged into my EA account and chose my soldier name yesterday and got to the server browser no problem. Then I tried it a few minutes later and right now, but both times it gave me an "Unable to login. Please retry." message.

Is it Punkbuster or something? Never really used that, tried to play CS once, Punkbuster didn´t work and I didn´t touch that crap for years.

PS: Shooting stuff is sooo good in this game.
try unchecking the remember password option, and just retype in your password manually, been having to do this as the remember password doesnt seem to work for me anymore

CzarTim

Mr Nightman said:
try unchecking the remember password option, and just retype in your password manually, been having to do this as the remember password doesnt seem to work for me anymore
Me either. Fucking annoying.

Binabik15

Will try the pw thing. Right after I smashed my keyboard because of the 2 choppers at the same time fight. Fuck this.

Edit: Yeah, works now.

How do I know which server to use? They all have those stupid immature names that make me hesitate to join.

Binabik15 said:
Will try the pw thing. Right after I smashed my keyboard because of the 2 choppers at the same time fight. Fuck this.

Edit: Yeah, works now.

How do I know which server to use? They all have those stupid immature names that make me hesitate to join.
just pretty much use filters choose a gametype and join, all there really is too it. Most will have immature names it seems lol

Binabik15

Mr Nightman said:
just pretty much use filters choose a gametype and join, all there really is too it. Most will have immature names it seems lol

I´m a bit hazy on this, but back when I played my other online fps (Return to Castly Wolfenstein Vanilla, no ET here) the servers weren´t all called retarded names. Must be the console influence :p

Just played a local BF2 game against my brother, first shot from me went right through his head *like a boss*

I accessed my EA account from my laptop instead of my desktop and it says no games? On my desktop it showed BC2 for PS3 and some demo for PS3. How do I getz my BF2 and pc BC2 up there and getz my vet title?

Sushen

Due to high remarks from NeoGAF, I've tried BC2. Coming from COD/MW vet point of view, the multiplayer mode is horrible. Most of time, I didn't even know how I died despite of the kill cam, which seemed to show what is happening after I died.

As a level 1 guy, I was stuck with shittest setup compared to all the other players. Even with BlackOps, I did just fine as a low level start up guy as I had a decent chance with my default guns and setup. Simply having learn a new map with terrible guns and setup wasn't much of welcome message. Not to mention it seemed to take forever to level up, which means that I'm stuck there for a while. What's up with the black screen looking into the scope and the sniper rifle that makes me reload when I try to shoot again.

Maybe, it's a matter of preference, but my first impression switching wasn't promising. I'm gonna have to stick with MW3, although it's not made by the real team this time.

Sushen said:
Due to high remarks from NeoGAF, I've tried BC2. Coming from COD/MW vet point of view, the multiplayer mode is horrible. Most of time, I didn't even know how I died despite of the kill cam, which seemed to show what is happening after I died.

As a level 1 guy, I was stuck with shittest setup compared to all the other players. Even with BlackOps, I did just fine as a low level start up guy as I had a decent chance with my default guns and setup. Simply having learn a new map with terrible guns and setup wasn't much of welcome message. Not to mention it seemed to take forever to level up, which means that I'm stuck there for a while. What's up with the black screen looking into the scope and the sniper rifle that makes me reload when I try to shoot again.

Maybe, it's a matter of preference, but my first impression switching wasn't promising. I'm gonna have to stick with MW3, although it's not made by the real team this time.
You really just need to variate between classes and try many different things, from healing tanks, to reviving team mates etc to really rake up the points. Once you start playing more, things will click, you just gotta work as a group rather than a lone wolf, and things will get soo crazy and hectic, you will be doing whatever it takes to prevail :)

TheSeks

Mr Nightman said:
You really just need to variate between classes and try many different things, from healing tanks, to reviving team mates etc to really rake up the points. Once you start playing more, things will click, you just gotta work as a group rather than a lone wolf, and things will get soo crazy and hectic, you will be doing whatever it takes to prevail :)

Dude, just let him go back to Killstreaks of Unbalance: Shitty Spawns 3, Glorious Battlefield Masterrace status is obviously not for him.

Binabik15 said:
I´m a bit hazy on this, but back when I played my other online fps (Return to Castly Wolfenstein Vanilla, no ET here) the servers weren´t all called retarded names. Must be the console influence :p

*rolls eyes all the while as you say this*

Obviously, you haven't played online for a long time if you haven't come across sexual innuendo and other "immature"/"retarded" names and server names. They've been there since the Quake, probably Doom and earlier as well.

Qwell

Just went through Cuban Legend's step to get setup with mumble on the gaf server, wanted to add my Steam ID = Qwell and BC2 name = Dakin in case anyone would like to add me. Been playing a ton of different stuff lately including lots of BC2.

Airan

Sushen said:

The 'killcam' is not a killcam, it just gives you an idea of where your killer is. The idea fails when you're in open environments where rocks don't have particular memorable features to help you identify his location. It's probably one of the shittiest 'imitation' ideas they stuck in, I'd prefer they just use killcams outright, it's not like Activision have exclusive use of the idea (right?).

As for being level 1, it's not too difficult to get going - the only difference is possibly they having magnum ammo/kevlar before you which makes them able to take a couple more hits than you. Try and stick with your squad so the potential targets to one attacker is increased and pick them off when they're not looking at you. Also 'noobtubing' imo is fine, infact you should use the Assault's ammo box skill and just camp and noobtube where the maps allow. I never got any flak for it like I did in COD4.

TheSeks said:
Dude, just let him go back to Killstreaks of Unbalance: Shitty Spawns 3, Glorious Battlefield Masterrace status is obviously not for him.
Just sucks that more people don't give battlefield more of a chance, its not like it will instantly click for everyone, hell I was playing cod most of the time until the bad co 2 beta came up, and yes I did suck initially but oh well, you gotta trudge on

TheSeks said:
Yeah, them. There was only 19-22 viewers when I watched them play some Gen Fu in DoA3. It was :(
well, DOA3 is like 10 years old, and even at it's apex it wasn't that popular...

Sushen said:
yeah, the killcam is live, but just above that, you see what you were killed with.

all of the starting weapons are solid. the starting setups are terrible, mainly because so many people use Magnum ammo, which will mean they need on average 1 less bullet to kill you than it takes for you to kill them, and also because you don't even get your class items until you unlock them. the black screen is by design, that's what happens when you have an awesome 8x scoped rifle. the bolt action rifles are more powerful than the semiauto and automatic rifles, the next sniper rifle you unlock is a semiauto, which you may like more.

it's not really a matter of preference, a lot of people will get straight murdered when switching to BC2, especially when the game is a year old now and tons of people have experience. there's also a few low level people who switched from the PS3 version who are good, but you can't tell from their rank. you have to get used to a different style of game and all the related issues.

my brother, cousins and several friends who all vary in skill in COD all sucked at BC2 at first when they tried it. even with me there giving them tips... there is A LOT to know.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
As soon as the PSN goes UP is BFBC2 time!

WOOOO!!! ;_;

Qwell said:
Just went through Cuban Legend's step to get setup with mumble on the gaf server, wanted to add my Steam ID = Qwell and BC2 name = Dakin in case anyone would like to add me. Been playing a ton of different stuff lately including lots of BC2.
Had some great games with you tonight bro. You're quite the player! Added you on steam and using Positional Audio with mumble to 3-D positionally hear you and Nabs locations made spotting enemies so much fun!

Also had a surprise guest join us midmatch, with Nabs in there we pulled it together even when we were one man down! SQUAD DEATHMATCH ROCKS.

Cuban Legend said:
Had some great games with you tonight bro. You're quite the player! Added you on steam and using Positional Audio with mumble to 3-D positionally hear you and Nabs locations made spotting enemies so much fun!

Also had a surprise guest join us midmatch, with Nabs in there we pulled it together even when we were one man down! SQUAD DEATHMATCH ROCKS.

How often do you guys play? I'd like to get some GAF games going but not really too familiar with all of the TeamSpeak/Mumble stuff and all I've got is my webcam microphone on my laptop.

BoobPhysics101 said:
How often do you guys play? I'd like to get some GAF games going but not really too familiar with all of the TeamSpeak/Mumble stuff and all I've got is my webcam microphone on my laptop.
our playtime is usually sporadic. What makes us play is when others are playing already, and especially when someone comes into the mumbler channel were sitting in and offers to play with us.

TheSeks

Steam Portal 2 PC code redeemed. Come on Slowgazer. >:|

TheSeks

The Faceless Master said:
well, DOA3 is like 10 years old, and even at it's apex it wasn't that popular...

That's true.

Anyway, I'm just bitter toward CoD kids that come in and go "ZOMG THE MULTIPLAYER SUCKS" since like BC1 the starting out is a hazing. You have to unlock stuff and learn. It isn't all "DERP I CAN SHOOT REEL GUD" like CoD.

@Dream: It was fun playing Portal 2 co-op online over PSN finally. The loading and lack of text-chat in the PS3 version to where we have to use cross-game/stop-and-pop text chat for me sucks though. :( That "out of the box" experiment was hilarious because you were suddenly gone and I was like "how the hell did you get there!? D:" Thank god for that co-op partner view.

Top Bottom