• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 |OT2| See, Spot, Run

Tomat said:
I'm still having a really hard time dealing with Helicopters on the 360. Getting a tracer on them is like an act of god, and even then, you still have to actually HIT them with a CG or RPG.

Need tips GAF.
play more RUSH

Dreamgazer said:
1)Ask yourself do you really need to kill the chopper?
Is the chopper pilot really that good that the team would instantly die if ran out of cover?
Is the chopper really a threat to the team capturing objectives/flags, etc?

If you answered no to any of the above questions, then it's best to just ignore the chopper.
Chopper on air = 2 or more people not on ground.

This is especially important in Conquest, where choppers really aren't as deadly or important compared to Rush.

However, if you start to fear the chopperget obsessed with it - then you're already losing half the battle by not focusing on objectives.

I hardly bother with tracer + rocket loadouts at all.

Trust me, alot more games can be won if you just pretend the chopper isn't there.
most pilots out there are not that good anyway.
this.

and if their chopper pilot is really that good, go for the M95 and tick them to death or retreat.

as for tracer loadouts, i only run with tracers as assault, that way i can supply the engineers with ammo.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Dreamgazer said:
1)Ask yourself do you really need to kill the chopper?
Is the chopper pilot really that good that the team would instantly die if ran out of cover?
Is the chopper really a threat to the team capturing objectives/flags, etc?

If you answered no to any of the above questions, then it's best to just ignore the chopper.
Chopper on air = 2 or more people not on ground.

This is especially important in Conquest, where choppers really aren't as deadly or important compared to Rush.

However, if you start to fear the chopperget obsessed with it - then you're already losing half the battle by not focusing on objectives.

I hardly bother with tracer + rocket loadouts at all.

Trust me, alot more games can be won if you just pretend the chopper isn't there.
most pilots out there are not that good anyway.

Here's the thing that gets you: Chopper Strafing. Take Atmaca Desert for example. We have their guy chopper strafing our guys every time we make an attempt on one of their flags. Their team slowly takes us back to our spawn point and baserapes us for the rest of the game via chopper strafing. This happens say... 70% of the time I play on a chopper man. That's why I'm trying to find a way to deal with the matter.

The Faceless Master said:
play more RUSH

Aren't choppers more prevalent in Rush than they are Conquest? (Conquest is all I play. Haven't touched Rush in over a year)

CatPee

Fersis said:
Had some great Conquest matches with Rockscar,HuntingBeast,Ejas and freminth something. (First time i play with him)

Stop reviving me in the middle of the road with all those enemies looking at my body! :mad:

(minhtfresh15, btw.)

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
CatPee said:
Stop reviving me in the middle of the road with all those enemies looking at my body! :mad:

(minhtfresh15, btw.)
TROLLFACE.JPG

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Fersis said:
TROLLFACE.JPG

SMH. Welcome to my world, Mint. You have to chew them out on the mic when Fersis and Meppi and Dream all do it. >:|

Pt Valdez
Chopper rape

>He doesn't get in the anti-air wagon or go behind the base so as soon as "base taken, move up" happens he can be in their base, killing their crates in five minutes.
>laughinggirls.jpg

TheSeks

Dreamgazer said:
(
you're going to tell me faceless #1 and then you're #2 aren't you?
)

You're goddamn right I'm going to say that. Me giving him spawn points to bash crates in minutes? EFFICIENT.

Besides, that leaderboard is nothing but useless. Just like in Who's Line is it Anyway? The points/stats don't matter.

TheSeks

Dreamgazer said:
(
you're going to tell me faceless #1 and then you're #2 aren't you?
)

You're goddamn right I'm going to say that. Me giving him spawn points to bash crates in minutes? EFFICIENT.

Besides, that leaderboard is nothing but useless. Just like in Who's Line is it Anyway? The points/stats don't matter.

Tomat said:
Here's the thing that gets you: Chopper Strafing. Take Atmaca Desert for example. We have their guy chopper strafing our guys every time we make an attempt on one of their flags. Their team slowly takes us back to our spawn point and baserapes us for the rest of the game via chopper strafing. This happens say... 70% of the time I play on a chopper man. That's why I'm trying to find a way to deal with the matter.

We've been done this road before, I've bitched about it endlessly: Chopper Strafe breaks the game. Ignoring the chopper isn't a viable tactic if someone intelligent (IE: ME!) is spraying the whole base or anyone that sticks their neck out while the person strafing gives a good lead/shot arc to lay waste.

Tracers are fucking useless as it's like hitting a pinata blindfolded on landing them, and when you do: SMOKE! LOLOLOLOLOL *lay waste continues*

Choppers, once again: Break the balance of the game and I still don't get why DICE didn't add more anti-air wagons, and options to where choppers may be annoying but not a hassle.

The fact that chopper pilots can land and repair and get back into strafing is infuriating. And I say that a person that trolls the shit out of people.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Never change Dice, never change.

bfbc2game2011-06-2223-17j6.jpg

Tomat said:

Aren't choppers more prevalent in Rush than they are Conquest? (Conquest is all I play. Haven't touched Rush in over a year)

I can only give you chopper strafing for 10% of the time - unless you're playing with a bad team.
However, if you're playing with a bad team - then the chopper is really the least of your problems.

Anyway...
First of all, why is your team making an attempt for one of their flags?
If you know you're in a tight spot in conquest, the smartest thing is to just hold onto 2/3 of the flags and then never bother. This is especially the case if you know the chopper is out to get anything that moves. This is a really bad habit that some of us that are use to steamrolling needs to kick.

Seconds, the key to winning any linear conquest map is to grab the one flag closest to your base and then hold down B no matter what.
Specifically in Atacama, B is pretty much a fortress as the ship wreckage will cover you from most tank and helicopter fire and the shallow water is a great spot to hide tankmines. From there you just need to makre sure there is constant motion mines/spotting from the enemy directions + one squad who is willing to be on alert for your other flag at all times.
(most chopper whores are too greedy to jump out and stealth-take a flag.)

Remember, once you have the flags, you don't need to get near it. You just need to kill anyone who gets near it.

Finally, I know my talk about "ignoring the chopper" is going to sound like a ton of BS to people - but really try it.
I have turned games around with pubies just by convincing people to get out of their covers and ignore the shitty chopper strafer.

Heck, I usually declare victory when I see 2 choppers are up in conquest, (only 8 left on the ground) >.>

P.S. What you should really worry about is insanely good blackhawk gunners.

olimpia84

Winning matches against teams with chopper(s) strafing/rape is perfectly avoidable if you are on a team that is aggressive enough from the get go (at least on Atacama Conquest).

When I say aggressive I mean as soon as the match starts go to a vehicle/tank and head for B. If most of the team goes to B then the flag should capped quickly before the other team gets there and have two people go up to the AA gun on top of the ship: one operator and one engineer to repair although at that point the engineer might not even be needed because the enemy chopper will be most likely busy fighting your team's chopper in the air. This is the perfect chance to take the enemy chopper down. After that, hop into a vehicle and head straight to their base, no questions asked, and wait for their chopper to spawn and either take it down or steal it.

TheSeks said:
We've been done this road before, I've bitched about it endlessly: Chopper Strafe breaks the game. Ignoring the chopper isn't a viable tactic if someone intelligent (IE: ME!) is spraying the whole base or anyone that sticks their neck out while the person strafing gives a good lead/shot arc to lay waste.

Tracers are fucking useless as it's like hitting a pinata blindfolded on landing them, and when you do: SMOKE! LOLOLOLOLOL *lay waste continues*

Choppers, once again: Break the balance of the game and I still don't get why DICE didn't add more anti-air wagons, and options to where choppers may be annoying but not a hassle.

The fact that chopper pilots can land and repair and get back into strafing is infuriating. And I say that a person that trolls the shit out of people.

I'm not sure why you're feeding him all this doom and gloom, even though PS3Gaf has won aginast chopper whores on most occassions. (oh wait, you ragequit in tightspots ~("~)

seems to me you're specifically trying to sabatoge the 360 people!!!!

olimpia84

Dreamgazer said:
Anyway...
First of all, why is your team making an attempt for one of their flags?
If you know you're in a tight spot in conquest, the smartest thing is to just hold onto 2/3 of the flags and then never bother. This is especially the case if you know the chopper is out to get anything that moves. This is a really bad habit that some of us that are use to steamrolling needs to kick.

Seconds, the key to winning any linear conquest map is to grab the one flag closest to your base and then hold down B no matter what.
Specifically in Atacama, B is pretty much a fortress as the ship wreckage will cover you from most tank and helicopter fire and the shallow water is a great spot to hide tankmines. From there you just need to makre sure there is constant motion mines/spotting from the enemy directions + one squad who is willing to be on alert for your other flag at all times.
(most chopper whores are too greedy to jump out and stealth-take a flag.)

I disagree. Aggressive teams ALWAYS win, at least on Conquest. If you manage to grab B in a linear map the best tactic is to be aggressive and go for the uncapped flag. What happens is that you get to the enemy flag so it starts flashing and coming down so the enemy instead of going for B has to retreat and return to get it back/defend. The worst case scenario is that you will get killed before capping the flag but that's fine since you already created a diversion for the enemy team to stay in its flag allowing your entire team to move ahead and gain position and therefore capping the flag eventually.
Remember, once you have the flags, you don't need to get near it. You just need to kill anyone who gets near it.

Finally, I know my talk about "ignoring the chopper" is going to sound like a ton of BS to people - but really try it.
I have turned games around with pubies just by convincing people to get out of their covers and ignore the shitty chopper strafer.

This is true (for Conquest matches). If you ignore the choppers there is a very high chance of winning the game, although it's very frustrating since you have to hide for most of the time.

TheSeks

Dreamgazer said:
I'm not sure why you're feeding him all this doom and gloom, even though PS3Gaf has won aginast chopper whores on most occassions. (oh wait, you ragequit in tightspots ~("~

I ragequit on chopper whores that go back and repair: Because, once again, choppers break the game.

There is NO threat to them. M95 pinging -> Go back and repair. Didn't kill the anti-air? UAV kills anti-air as you go back and repair. Then go back and strafe.

How many times on Oasis have we pretty much sat in destroyed buildings and pretty much had to kill infantry while people were laying waste to the rest of the open map while Abu and someone else sat in a tank and tried to take the chopper down?

I'm sorry, but that isn't fun and it isn't balanced in gameplay.

Ignoring the chopper is pure bullshit outside of Conquest. In rush the defense attack choppers have the advantage of locking down attackers if they're good. And attack choppers on attack are good if they take the anti-air down as there is LITTLE in the way to take them down.

Conquest they're annoying but if you have the flags and hold onto them, ticket bleed takes care of the win.

But we're not talking Conquest since Conquest is pure shit in BC2.

olimpia84 said:
I disagree. Aggressive teams ALWAYS win, at least on Conquest. If you manage to grab B in a linear map the best tactic is to be aggressive and go for the uncapped flag. What happens is that you get to the enemy flag so it starts flashing and coming down so the enemy instead of going for B has to retreat and return to get it back/defend. The worst case scenario is that you will get killed before capping the flag but that's fine since you already created a diversion for the enemy team to stay in its flag allowing your entire team to move ahead and gain position and therefore capping the flag eventually.

I disagree, lol.
There are always exceptions.
There was one time where you and I and a few other gaffers joined a losing team of pubies who were fighting chopper whores.

We finally managed to turn the game around holding down A and B, and the enemy team started to turtle back into C with a tank sitting on the hill overlooking B.

I stayed in B to keep watch, but a number of pubs + gaffers decided to run for C - only to be gunned down by the tanks and chopper (wasting shitload of tickets.) The team finally realized that and just stayed in B and let the enemies run to us (wasting their shitload of tickets), and we won by 0-0 at the end~.

Also, did you happen to quote me on that last part? or was it a big coincidence?

TheSeks said:
Ignoring the chopper is pure bullshit outside of Conquest. In rush the defense attack choppers have the advantage of locking down attackers if they're good. And attack choppers on attack are good if they take the anti-air down as there is LITTLE in the way to take them down.

Conquest they're annoying but if you have the flags and hold onto them, ticket bleed takes care of the win.

But we're not talking Conquest since Conquest is pure shit in BC2.

I don't disagree with you on good chopper whores outside of conquest, but Tomat was specifically talking about conquest and so was I lol.

seriously, if it's a tough game, fuck the last base, just hold down the majority, hunker down, and let the tickets bleed.

in other news, I <3 DICE MATCHMAKING

Heavy Metal
Port Valdez
Atacama Desert
Heavy Metal

that poor other team got base raped 7 games in a row and DICE MATCHMAKING came thru and made sure fresh blood was able to join. they managed to not get straight raped on that 4th Heavy Metal game by back capping and stealing our chopper a few times, good on them! they still lost pretty handily though, and then got a bit of an early raping on Laguna Presa before punching thru and capping some bases to make it seem like somewhat of a competition.

TheSeks

Dreamgazer said:
I don't disagree with you on good chopper whores outside of conquest, but Tomat was specifically talking about conquest and so was I lol.

Even in Conquest they break the game. The only reason they aren't totally as bullshit is because of ticket bleed.

However, in Atacama: Whoever steals the other chopper pretty much wins the game if their team is on the ball. Why? Because as soon as a flag is blinking, two choppers <D 2.0>ing buildings and firing volleys will generally flush out the other players while one-two people go in to find them.

Instead of a perfect triangle of balance of helicopter beats infantry that beats tanks that beats helicopter, I see it is:

Helicopter

...........................................................................Tank---------------------------Infantry.

(Connect the lines to the helicopter on your monitor)

It's REALLY REALLY lopsided in balance play, the game mode doesn't really matter.

And because of that lopsided-ness, I REFUSE to play on helicopter maps anymore unless I'm playing with GAF. Any time I'm playing Conquest (for a break from Rush) anymore, it's Arica Harbor 24/7 with maybe the Laguna Presa and the one river/bridge in the fall map.

Otherwise Rush is Harvest Day, Cold War, Arica, Port Valadez (only because I can outright attempt to speed/stealth steal the chopper or break the enemy in five minutes to where the attack chopper is pretty useless except on the last base) and that's pretty much it.

Edit: And let's not ignore the fact that Conquest is pretty shitty in BC2. The gameplan that will win games if the team is good is:

1) half the team goes to A/C (depending on side your on) to speed cap while other half of team speed caps B.
2) Defend B with your life and spread out to plug holes.
3) ???
4) TICKET BLEED WIN!

You really, REALLY do not need to cap any more flags than two with the exception of maybe 1-3 maps that are squares in Conquest.

I really like Conquest and I love Rush, but there is issues with both and Conquest in BC2 is pure ass because of the map design. Playing BC1 and then 2 is a night and day difference in terms of base layout and map design on Conquest. And... CONQUEST WAS TACKED ON TO BAD COMPANY 1. So I have no clue what happened to DICE in the run up to BC2 when it comes to Conquest maps.

CrankyJay said:
Been up until 3 am the last two nights playing...getting up at 7am for work. Work is suffering. LOL.

edit: Any reason for a second account?
Just felt like doing a new account, gives me plenty more to do til battlefield 3 drops, plus its my funny named account its HON3Y BADGER haha

Tomat said:
it's only really Oasis... Port Valdez can be bad if the attackers steal the Apache, but that isn't any kind of guarantee.

TheSeks

it's only really Oasis... Port Valdez can be bad if the attackers steal the Apache, but that isn't any kind of guarantee.

Even if it's in the hands of the Defense with a really bad team the Apache on Port Valdez can be pure hell. I've had it/done lay waste to the entire previous base, and pop anyone that dared try to take the anti-air wagon out. JM can attest to this.

And no, it isn't just Oasis. Oasis is the prevalent one because it was the "Chopper Whore" map of BC1. But Atacama can be just as bad on Rush if someone doesn't take the VADS and use it properly to take the person down and the snipers are able to take them out.

on Conquest it's just as bad when they steal both helicopters as you have no viable way other than to ticket bleed them to stop their KDR padding.

CatPee

40mm Smoke Launcher = glorious master race attachment <3.

Anyway, I finally figured out I could use Atacama Onslaught to practice some more with the chopper. Tried out BC1 control config today and I gotta say, the ridiculously sharp strafing you can do with it is insane.

AT4 finally platinumed

Only AT weapon I have left to platinum are the AT mines, but since I don't really like using those, I'm going back to using the Godly Gustav

Which is exactly what happened in that sequence I was referring to before sadly. We got raped on Oasis, then Valdez, then Oasis again. I don't even know why I bothered playing, but it's not in me to quit even when things are that bad.

On Valdez they had the BMD and T90 sitting back near the first B shelling the second A building, so I snuck all the way around behind them and C4'd them both an instant after 2nd A fell (B was already gone). By the time I ran back to the third set there was an Apache in the sky and we weren't flying it. So the chopping raping began. In general I was only able to take a few steps after each respawn before dying. After about 8 or so respawns I appeared in an area that wasn't immediately littered with chopper fire and rockets and was able to run back towards their spawn in hopes of stealing the BMD. I managed to sneak past a T90 and grabbed the BMD, but the moment I opened fire on the Apache their T90 came roaring back up the road towards their spawn and destroyed my ride. I managed to take out the T90 and survived the fight but by this time B had fallen and their chopper gunner was in the process of getting ready to steal our blackhawk. I ran back down to the third set spawn and jumped on their UAV and started hitting the Apache but the gunner in it was a good shot and killed me on the UAV station before I could take him down. With the Apache and Blackhawk raping us and no AA defence the rest of that game was a joke.

lazybones18 said:
AT4 finally platinumed

Only AT weapon I have left to platinum are the AT mines, but since I don't really like using those, I'm going back to using the Godly Gustav
i'm working on my AT4 right now... got 61 to go!

and HOW CAN YOU NOT LOVE AT MINES!?!?!

360_faceless360.png

ps3_faceless360.png

CatPee said:
40mm Smoke Launcher = glorious master race attachment <3.

Anyway, I finally figured out I could use Atacama Onslaught to practice some more with the chopper. Tried out BC1 control config today and I gotta say, the ridiculously sharp strafing you can do with it is insane.

I went back to reg BC2 today after playing Vietnam for a long time. I forgot how awesome the smoke is.

Is there a limit to the # of smoke nades I can deploy at one time? I had a few ammo crates next to me and it let me spam smoke for a while. I couldn't tell if the later grenades were making the first nades disappear or if they were just dispersing like normal.

meppi

TheSeks said:
SMH. Welcome to my world, Mint. You have to chew them out on the mic when Fersis and Meppi and Dream all do it. >:|
Oh fuck you right back buddy.

I haven't even used the medic class in 3 months or so.

TheSeks

:)

:D At least that saves other people from being revived in the line of fire. :p

vixlar

lazybones18 said:
AT4 finally platinumed

But... but... AT mines are really great... you don't have to use them.

Chose engineer, throw your mines at places when you think vehicles are goig to drive by, and when you see a corpse steal his weapon so you don't stay without offensive gadget. Keep playing, die, jump, run, camp... whatever... and then... "vehicle damage", "kill vehicle", "kill enemy" x2, "double kill" and so.

I had two funny experiences with mines. Once I was in the top of a building, I jumped and in that moment a tank activated my mines. I get all the regular points plus "Parachute kill".

Other time I let mines waiting for a tank, but oh surprise, instead of that a full Blackhawk landed on the mines!

TheSeks

Cuban Legend said:
showing inconsistency in your arguments means I'm mad? Oh that's rich!

LandoHeMad.jpg toward both of you.

But then again:

PrinceofBelAirEVERYONESGETTINGRAPEDMAD.jpg at this whole thread.

U2NUMB

So Console Gaf players.. I have some COD fans on my friends list that are curious about BF and in the past their number one complaint was the limit of 4 player squads.

First off.. do we know that in BF3 on the Consoles will we be able to keep a couple squads together?

And I noticed that you guys are often talking about a good sized group in BC2. How do you keep together from round to round? Is it just a trial and error as far as joining matches or is there a way to keep squads together?

TheSeks

Teams don't switch. Join friends in progress. Squad up. ???? PROFIT.

Really, the 4 squad limit is the least of your problems, and if that's the major issue, just stick with CoD. It isn't worth the time to hear bitching about it.

U2NUMB

TheSeks said:
Teams don't switch. Join friends in progress. Squad up. ???? PROFIT.

Really, the 4 squad limit is the least of your problems, and if that's the major issue, just stick with CoD. It isn't worth the time to hear bitching about it.

Good stuff... I normally just go with one squad but I want to convince a couple other friends that BF is the way to go and they are very curious. This is very good info..

Thanks for the heads up.

TheSeks said:
:)

:D At least that saves other people from being revived in the line of fire. :p
how can you not like Quality Revives?

U2NUMB said:
So Console Gaf players.. I have some COD fans on my friends list that are curious about BF and in the past their number one complaint was the limit of 4 player squads.

First off.. do we know that in BF3 on the Consoles will we be able to keep a couple squads together?

And I noticed that you guys are often talking about a good sized group in BC2. How do you keep together from round to round? Is it just a trial and error as far as joining matches or is there a way to keep squads together?
it's easy to stay together once you're in. you only switch sides if you're not in a squad at the end of the round and the other team is short on players.

Stallion Free said:
I'm proving how imbalanced a game is in hopes that Demize reads this thread and sees.
Hardly! Your consistently cynical and negative remarks towards BC2 & attitude towards Demize/DICE as it is seen throughout GAF, says otherwise.

Stallion Free said:
Stallion Free:
Skill Level - 387
KDR - 1.04
W/LR - 1.09

Cuban Legend:
Skill Level - 335
KDR - 0.81
W/LR - 0.87
Stallion Free said:
I'm better at the game than you, u mad?
How typical of a COD player, I knew you would post those very stats, yet conveniently forget others:

Stallion Free's Top-5 Weapons by kills:
813 @ M2 Carl Gustav
419 @ M60
259 @ Knife
248 @ M24
222 @ GOL

Cuban Legend's Top-5 Weapons by kills:
487 @ M60
481 @ UMP-45(specact)
441 @ VSS
396 @ M136 AT-4
308 @ 870 Combat

Your #1 weapon by kills and only Platinum is the Carl Gustav @ 813 kills when your #2 weapon is far behind @ 419 kills...

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Cuban Legend said:
Your #1 weapon by kills and only Platinum is the Carl Gustav @ 813 kills when your #2 weapon is far behind @ 419 kills...
So your metric of skill is a war of attrition? Let me play as long as you and I can get weapons up that high too?

I want to play!

iHN Jury
Skill Level: ???(Will update)
KDR: 1.25
W/L: 1.46

iHN Jury's Top 5 Weapons by Kills:
Rex @ 604
Knife @ 378
AT4 @ 261
Hand Grenade @ 256
M24 @ 249

Did I win!?

Stallion Free said:
So your metric of skill is a war of attrition? Let me play as long as you and I can get weapons up that high too?
??? Not that I'd expect you to admit it yourself, even though I'm sure you noticed it: but my metric of skill is that your "stats" are overly dependent on your "Carl" usage, when my stats are dependent on 3 guns before a rocket-weapon that someone could maybe considered a "carl on infantry" equivalent.

If you continued to play as you have so far like you say, that would only increase the disparity between your #1 and #2 weapons, not switch them around. :lol

"Playing more" would only work if you stopped playing with your favorite overpowered splash-damage-happy weapon on infantry for a continuous period of time... which you haven't been able to do so far as your current stats are concerned.

-PS: You might say that those Carl kills aren't from infantry but instead vehicles. But with 16 possible enemy players and only a handful of enemy vehicles @ a time on a map, It's safe to say without knowing that your main way of getting kills is to abuse the Carl on infantry moreso than knowing how to aim & shoot a gun (and I've played with you and Nabs, so I know).

Top Bottom