• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 |OT2| See, Spot, Run

Cuban Legend said:
It wasn't that big of a deal @ release, since every PC gamer who bought at release got the VIP pack and got those unlocks from the start.

It doesn't take too long to play to get those weapons/attachments if you don't have them from the start.
I agree that it's not a huge deal. I got the unlocks very fast. But it's still completely illogical and bizarre and annoying.

JJD

BigAT said:
Yeah, as someone who has just started playing this game, I was pretty surprised to see how brutal the progression system is. I feel like I've been plugging away for a good amount of time now and I'm still only level 6 or so. It's even worse since the game seems to restrict away some surprisingly basic items when you first start playing.

For me leveling up to 20 something was quite quick. You should have all the unlocks by lvl. 25 or 27. The real grinding starts when you reach 30...it takes ages to reach 50. I've logged about 360 hours on this game and I'm still lvl. 49...

I think Cal was the guy who reached 50 fastest. Around 300 hours right?

How long do you use to play your online shooters BigAT?

Nabs

Cuban Legend said:
It wasn't that big of a deal @ release, since every PC gamer who bought at release got the VIP pack and got those unlocks from the start.

It doesn't take too long to play to get those weapons/attachments if you don't have them from the start.

Not true. I didn't get shit at the start.

Nabs said:
Not true. I didn't get shit at the start.
It was restricted to the "Limited Edition". Which was the same price as standard edition, available before but not after Day One. (at least digitally)

You didn't buy Day One?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Cuban Legend said:
It was restricted to the limited edition. Which was the same price as standard edition, available before but not after Day One. (at least digitally)

You didn't buy Day One?
lmfao. amazing decisions.

and we both bought day 1 or the day before.

Stallion Free said:
lmfao. amazing decisions.
lfmao?

-FREE unlockables
-Not priced higher that regular edition
-to reward fans who buy day one

That's the perfect type of Preorder Bonus every other developer should adopt!

Edit: So you'd rather want to pay 10 bucks more for a limited edition to get exclusive DLC while you miss out on Preorder deals from other retailers? lmfao indeed

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Cuban Legend said:
lfmao?

-FREE unlockables
-Not priced higher that regular edition
-to reward fans who buy day one

That's the perfect type of Preorder Bonus every other developer should adopt!

Edit: So you'd rather want to pay 10 bucks more for a limited edition to get exclusive DLC while you miss out on Preorder deals from other retailers? lmfao indeed
There should be no Preorder bonus. The whole concept is full of shit.

Stallion Free said:
There should be no Preorder bonus. The whole concept is full of shit.
-It's a preorder bonus that you can unlock yourself anyway from day 1.
-It is not a preorder bonus that locks you out of certain game aspects from day 1.

(this is all apart form the fact that they decided to relive the stupidity of unlocking things that should be stock on a kit in Battlefield with a free bonus to day 1 purchasers.)

You still hating? You Being a Call of Duty fan who freely takes it in the ass from Activision $10-$15 bucks a pop for community splitting DLC ...? I always notice you hating DICE/BF but never praising CoD/IW in their respective threads.

At this point your reasoning behind this argument is invalid, or Joke post confirmed.

BigAT

JJD said:
For me leveling up to 20 something was quite quick. You should have all the unlocks by lvl. 25 or 27. The real grinding starts when you reach 30...it takes ages to reach 50. I've logged about 360 hours on this game and I'm still lvl. 49...

I think Cal was the guy who reached 50 fastest. Around 300 hours right?

How long do you use to play your online shooters BigAT?
I've logged however many hundreds of hours in Counter-Strike 1.6, enough hours to max level in COD4 and MW2.

Why, how many hours is it alright for a game to cripple the player to start out with? Do you honestly think 350+ hours is a reasonable requirement to max level in a non-MMO online game?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Cuban Legend said:
-It is not a preorder bonus that locks you out of certain game aspects from day 1.

(this is all apart form the fact that they decided to relive the stupidity of unlocking things that should be stock on a kit in Battlefield with a free bonus to day 1 purchasers.)
It is counter-intuitive to Battlefield gameplay. Players are forced to play classes without the tools that define them. For players new to the game, it doesn't exactly do a good job of teaching them the class roles. For experienced Battlefield players, it's just fucking stupid that they have to waste time unlocking the tools they need to use to be effective.

I know its counter intuitive, but at least they found a way to reminder that with the preorder "Limited Edition" Bonus.

They deserve credit for that, regardless of whether the EA Master Server system it was all tied to coudln't handle the load of it all for the first 2 weeks of launch.

EA's problems are EA's fault. It's a shame DICE's solutions are under the shadow of EA's bullshit.

Shooting5280

Neo Member
I thought that for the PS3 at least you could buy all the weapons for $14.99 from the start. This is not my cup of tea so I have never tried it but I thought the option existed in the playstation store.

Cuban Legend said:

You still hating? You Being a Call of Duty fan who freely takes it in the ass from Activision $10-$15 bucks a pop for community splitting DLC ...? I always notice you hating DICE/BF but never praising CoD/IW in their respective threads.

At this point your reasoning behind this argument is invalid, or Joke post confirmed.
What's with all the ad hominem stuff? Call of Duty has nothing to do with this. It could be the worst game in the world (and might be) and it still wouldn't make any part of the BC2 unlocks okay.

He's been hating on DICE and EA since BFBC2's release thread.

And not a sign of his approving Activision/IW's decisions has been seen in recent threads to the extent at which he hates on EA/DICE's desicions.

Yet he willingly gives money to a Activision with no complaints: the big-name Publisher who pushed the limits of preorder bonuses & seeing their customers as moneybags. We have yet to see EA do so with DICE.

Stallion Free said:
I don't think Dice could ever explain that decision logically.
Alan Kertz said that in the Beta they were dismayed by how many people had spent considerable amounts of time playing certain classes yet had not used those basic kit items even once. He said the thinking was that at first they were too distracted by figuring out controls, where to go, etc and didn't realise they had access to that stuff, and then got used to playing without using them. The hope was that by having a giant picture of the item display on the screen a short time into the game (long enough that they had their head around how everything worked) when the item was unlocked it would draw enough attention to them to hopefully get everyone using them.

He never said if the data vindicated their approach... so in guessing it didn't. Would be a good question to ask him on Twitter.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
endlessflood said:
Alan Kertz said that in the Beta they were dismayed by how many people had spent considerable amounts of time playing certain classes yet had not used those basic kit items even once. He said the thinking was that at first they were too distracted by figuring out controls, where to go, etc and didn't realise they had access to that stuff, and then got used to playing without using them. The hope was that by having a giant picture of the item display on the screen a short time into the game (long enough that they had their head around how everything worked) when the item was unlocked it would draw enough attention to them to hopefully get everyone using them.

He never said if the data vindicated their approach... so in guessing it didn't. Would be a good question to ask him on Twitter.
It certainly didn't as you see medics stare you in the face refusing to give you health.

CatPee

Patrick Bateman said:
Goddamnit, I'm at level 11 or 12, but I need that little extra damage, so I can snipe fools from kilometres away with my M24.

What's the purpose of those silver- and gold-versions of weapons?

No need for Magnum Ammo when sniping. Aim high, lead the shot, and get headshots. It's still a 2-hit kill even with Magnum Ammo. Use that spec slot on Explosives MK2 instead for mortars, or the useless Spotting Scope if you can't be bothered to arch your left index finger over the Select button.

As for the silver and gold stuff, they're stars you earn by killing enemies with a weapon. Bronze = 500, Silver = 1,000, Gold = 5,000, and Platinum(10 Golds) = 10,000.

endlessflood said:

Maybe if they didn't spend all that time jerking off creating a single player, they could have actually made a real tutorial. And no, no singeplayer game ever prepares anyone for the online portion. DICE needs to get their heads out of their asses when it comes to things like that.

Cuban Legend said:
He's been hating on DICE and EA since BFBC2's release thread.

And not a sign of his approving Activision/IW's decisions has been seen in recent threads to the extent at which he hates on EA/DICE's desicions.

Yet he willingly gives money to a Activision with no complaints: the big-name Publisher who pushed the limits of preorder bonuses & seeing their customers as moneybags. We have yet to see EA do so with DICE.
I agree with you about Activision, but what he's saying about DICE is valid whether he hypocritically likes Activision, or not.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Just got this from the Steam Summer Sale and can't stay connected to the EA Server for more than 5 mins or so.

D-Link DIR-601, undid UPNP, nope, took off firewall, nope.. still disconnects after a few minutes.

Anyone?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Sorry Rockscar and Hunting Beast, the game froze 2 times in less than 20 minutes :0

CatPee said:
No need for Magnum Ammo when sniping. Aim high, lead the shot, and get headshots. It's still a 2-hit kill even with Magnum Ammo. Use that spec slot on Explosives MK2 instead for mortars, or the useless Spotting Scope if you can't be bothered to arch your left index finger over the Select button.

As for the silver and gold stuff, they're stars you earn by killing enemies with a weapon. Bronze = 500, Silver = 1,000, Gold = 5,000, and Platinum(10 Golds) = 10,000.

wut? thumb all the way brah

Damn, I was enjoying a fun killing spree with a tank in Harvest Day with Fersis and the PS3 froze and the PSN won't connect, error 80710016, sorry if you read me pal :D.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Patrick Bateman said:
Goddamnit, I'm at level 11 or 12, but I need that little extra damage, so I can snipe fools from kilometres away with my M24.

If you're not shooting them in the face: URDOINITRONG. You don't need Magnum Ammo at all in the game. And I say that as a hater of MA, by a hypocrite because I use it because 99% of the player base does.

What's the purpose of those silver- and gold-versions of weapons?

Nothing but bonus points (5000 exp/points per gold star) and e-peen.

CatPee said:
Screw that. I need to be moving, spotting, AND aiming at the same time. I don't sit in a bush.

Why are you using bolt actions and spotting while firing? URDOINITRONG. Use the VSS, take out the person and don't spot unless they're going to get away. Easy.

I do think DICE should've made a "auto spot on bullet hit" option like BC1/1943 had. I like the "select to spot" system, but I absolutely LOATHE it's placement and would rather have the steamlined ability to spot on hit again. :|

Darkshier said:
Maybe if they didn't spend all that time jerking off creating a single player, they could have actually made a real tutorial. And no, no singeplayer game ever prepares anyone for the online portion. DICE needs to get their heads out of their asses when it comes to things like that.
Couldn't agree more. Pretty sad that people have to buy Onslaught just to practice in the choppers, especially when even BF1943 had a tutorial mode :(

CatPee said:
Screw that. I need to be moving, spotting, AND aiming at the same time. I don't sit in a bush.

Maybe my hands are too small, but doesn't your index finger interfere with the joystick doing this? Or maybe it's a 360 v PS3 controller thing.. either way it's not happening for me. To each his own I suppose..

Still my thumb has evolved a lightning fast twitch from the joystick to the spot and back. And I rarely snipe, mostly I run up on someone and instantly spot and start lighting them up, 99% of the time they are spotted so if they happen to kill me then my team will get 'em.

JJD

BigAT said:
I've logged however many hundreds of hours in Counter-Strike 1.6, enough hours to max level in COD4 and MW2.

Why, how many hours is it alright for a game to cripple the player to start out with? Do you honestly think 350+ hours is a reasonable requirement to max level in a non-MMO online game?

I'm not saying that, I was just curious, that's all...

CatPee

TheSeks said:
Why are you using bolt actions and spotting while firing? URDOINITRONG. Use the VSS, take out the person and don't spot unless they're going to get away. Easy.

I do think DICE should've made a "auto spot on bullet hit" option like BC1/1943 had. I like the "select to spot" system, but I absolutely LOATHE it's placement and would rather have the steamlined ability to spot on hit again. :|

I'm not a noob, brah.

But really though, I just like getting spot bonuses. Plus I spot to have a general idea of the distance between me and the bad guy so I can get headshots way more easily and quickly. As for the auto-spot with damage, it's there, but enemies only show on the minimap. :p

First post here. I play on PC, got almost 500 hours logged. Here are my stats. If anyone plays on european servers (not German ones) feel free to add me in game, I prefer conquest to rush, never play the squad modes, and I wouldn't touch HC mode with a 10 foot pole.

So as it is my first post please allow me to write a love and a hate letter.

First out, a love letter to the motherfucking MP-443 Grach. This godsent weapon is so far superior to any other sidearm, and honestly it boggles my mind how anyone can use any of the others for any other reason than to get stars. While I acknowledge that the 1911 trumps it in close range and the M93R in extremely close ranges, but only as long as there is only one enemy. But this is just barely, because while it does less damage than the 1911, it fires to fast that enemies will die almost as fast in close combat as with the 1911. Unlike the 1911 however, you will have bullets to spare after killing one guy. When it comes to mid and long range, the Grach blows the opposition out of the water. Great accuracy, high firing rate, plus iron sights that do not clutter up your entire screen make the Grach the better choice in 9/10 situations. As someone who uses bolt action rifles offensively, plus trying to get shotgun stars without slug, I have alot of experience with pistols. The 1911 would have been alot better if it didn't have the shittiest iron sights in the game. Being forced you use crosshairs on longer ranges really drags it down, while the Grach can easily take out someone on mid range as fast as any machine gun.

Next a letter of hate to Heavy Metal. Not only is this map, the shittiest map by far (much further than Grach > sidearms) in my opinion, but it is also extremely popular on european servers. I want to pull my hair out when I scroll down the list and all I fucking see is Heavy Metal 1000 tickets. Most of my favorite maps are the vehicle heavy maps, like Panama Canal, Port Valdez, Atacama Desert, and others. But HM is just fucking trash. A vehicle focused map that completely fucks over infantry (I try to pretend that recons with M95 + 12x do not exist) is just stupid. Vehicles are so important to the game, but without infantry they become incredibly lame. Three bases, miles away, on a linear map, without any fucking cover. 5 minutes into a round and the entire bravo village is in ruins and you can't go anywhere without being shot down by either 2 helicopters, 3 tanks or some douchebag sitting on a hill on the other side of the map. The game is getting old, fewer players and fewer servers. Throw in the fact that I lag on alot of servers for some reason, and the fact that I usually play during the night, it really fucks me over that the most popular map on onemap servers is HM.

TheSeks said:
If you're not shooting them in the face: URDOINITRONG. You don't need Magnum Ammo at all in the game. And I say that as a hater of MA, by a hypocrite because I use it because 99% of the player base does.

As a guy that plays offensive recon with bolt action rifles I couldn't disagree more. I often have to use my sidearm, MA is a must. I wouldn't mind if they removed it from the game though.

TheSeks said:
Nothing but bonus points (5000 exp/points per gold star) and e-peen.

Got to admit, I do so love nurturing my e-peen, except when I die because I am stuck with the shittiest weapon in the game, the M95.

TheSeks said:

Definitely doing it wrong, when sniping, spot directly after firing for full effect. Fuck the VSS though.

TheSeks said:

I would have liked that, as long as it last much shorter than a normal spot. I can't count the number of times I've died because I have for whatever reason been unable to spot my enemy, and then been unable to see them behind all the muzzle flashes going on on the screen. That is why, sniping not withstanding, I always spot before I shoot. Thankfully spotting is just a thumb press away, I can't imagine how you guys can stand to play having to use select for such an important function, and I don't understand what the fuck DICE were thinking.

endlessflood said:
Couldn't agree more. Pretty sad that people have to buy Onslaught just to practice in the choppers, especially when even BF1943 had a tutorial mode :(

For people on PC I can recommend just joining an empty server with Atacama Desert/Heavy Metal, that's how I learned how to fly, only during the beta on Port Valdez. Not sure how it works on consoles, can't you just create a private game or something?

The Faceless Master said:
i must be the odd man out, i spot before sniping. maybe it's because i'm more worried about winning in a team game than my own score or k/d...

Here's an alternative scenario for you, the guy that you just spotted, even with his pretty triangle, still managed to kill a team mate of yours. He would not have been able to do that if you had killed him. Of course, maybe it was the other way around, and a team mate managed to kill him because of his pretty triangle, because this is not black and white. But I do not appreciate you implying that I care more about my K:D because I fire before spotting (with bolt action rifles only), especially considering I am not choosing one option over the other, as I can spot instantly after shooting.

questionmark said:
Here's an alternative scenario for you, the guy that you just spotted, even with his pretty triangle, still managed to kill a team mate of yours. He would not have been able to do that if you had killed him. Of course, maybe it was the other way around, and a team mate managed to kill him because of his pretty triangle, because this is not black and white. But I do not appreciate you implying that I care more about my K:D because I fire before spotting (with bolt action rifles only), especially considering I am not choosing one option over the other, as I can spot instantly after shooting.
you have to be on target to shoot someone, you only have to be close to spot.

i must be the odd man out, i spot before sniping. maybe it's because i'm more worried about winning in a team game than my own score or k/d...
Maybe that's why your win/loss ratio is over 7. Although I do the same thing and my win loss ratio is only 2.41 :(

you have to be on target to shoot someone, you only have to be close to spot.

Is there a difference? I do not spend my time aiming in someones general direction, when they pop up in my scope/on my screen I will instantly swing my mouse over them.

Soma

Haha I thought I was the only person to hate Heavy Metal. I always skip it whenever I can.

Then again I actually hardly ever use tanks/choppers which is ironic considering this type of game. My buddy/housemate who I play with finds this pretty funny.

Rimfya

Banned
Just bought Onslaught mode for 360 cos it was cheap. Did anyone have any trouble with lag?

The few games I've found going have heaps of lag, or sometimes to the point where my bullets and knife do nothing?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
questionmark said:
As a guy that plays offensive recon with bolt action rifles I couldn't disagree more. I often have to use my sidearm, MA is a must. I wouldn't mind if they removed it from the game though.

Then you're doing it wrong. VSS/SVU non-Magnum Ammo will trump ANYGUN that comes against it non-Magnum Ammo since it spits out bullets faster. MA breaks the delicate balance of the guns though, so I can't blame you for being DERP MAGNUM AMMO ALL DAY ERRYDAY.

Also Heavy Metal is awesome. Fuck the haters, except when it's double helicopter fuck.

Jas

*likes this post*

Top Bottom