• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 |OT2| See, Spot, Run

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
The Faceless Master said:
can i say "yes" to both?

There is a combo pack that includes BC2 and Vietnam for 10 bucks or you buy BC2 separately for $5 and Vietnam for $7.

Darkshier said:
You are going to have to unlock everything all over again. Have fun!

Blah, I figured as much. Ah well, unlocking new toys was a big part of the enjoyment!

spidye

is my ps3 going to die? the screen freezed suddenly. It happens often lately but always when I play battlefield. somebody else had this issue?

spidye said:
is my ps3 going to die? the screen freezed suddenly. It happens often lately but always when I play battlefield. somebody else had this issue?

If it just happens with BF I wouldn't worry too much. The game can be kinda glitchy at times and cause you to do hard resets. If it happens a lot while playing other games it could be your system.

LogicStep

Hey guys, I'm really used to playing COD MW2 and games like that. Like run and shoot and getting a lot of kills. But this game is so open and the approach seems like it has to be different. Any tips for a BC2 noob?

zazrx said:
Hey guys, I'm really used to playing COD MW2 and games like that. Like run and shoot and getting a lot of kills. But this game is so open and the approach seems like it has to be different. Any tips for a BC2 noob?

I'd suggest starting with the engineer class. The smgs are the easiest weapons to handle. Use the XM8C as soon as it is available till you get to the UMP. The medic is also nice because the lmgs are better at long range, and have alot of bullets. Plus you can be an asset to the team on any map even if you end up with 0.01 K/D.

questionmark said:
I'd suggest starting with the engineer class. The smgs are the easiest weapons to handle. Use the XM8C till you get to UMP. The medic is also nice because the lmgs are better at long range, and have alot of bullets. Plus you can be an asset to the team on any map even if you end up with 0.01 K/D.

This really helps, thanks.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
zazrx said:

I suggest going back to CoD. We don't need your kind here. *snooty huff*

Serious answer: See the bold? STOP DOING THAT. Slow down, take your time, and HELP YOUR GODDAMN TEAM. FUCKING CALL OF DUTY KIDS. *foams at mouth*

BigAT

zazrx said:
Read the tip compilation in the OP, it helped me a lot.

zazrx said:
Read the OP, slow way down, don't rush too much. If you're hurt, hide or find a medic. You gain health again really slowly. If you're the last member in your squad, hide so your squad can spawn on you.

zlatko

Banned
I had a super strong game of conquest today where I felt things were just going my way. I was capturing points, used the UAV to keep blowing up the enemy tanks, got a lot of kills with my SCAR and RPGs, and was just all around digging the flow and able to not get shot by 30 snipers every time I spawned. :p Went 22 and 12 and I think I was first on my team in points. Feels good since this and Brink are my only PC FPS' that I dabble in as I've been mostly a console shooter forever.

Hopefully the time put in now will help me out when BF3 launches later this year as I'm going with PC version all the way. :)

zazrx said:
two words: chopper pilot

it's like running and shooting and getting a lot of kills, but faster and higher!

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Any console players around here ridiculously good with the AT4 and taking down helicopters?

I'm still not convinced that kind of AT4 skill is possible with a controller. (The stuff you see in AT4 montages)

LogicStep

I have started to slow down and it's working in my favor. One problem I have is getting killed and I don't know from where. I start getting shot, I look around to defend myself but I rarely see who is killing me. This proves super annoying.

zazrx said:
I have started to slow down and it's working in my favor. One problem I have is getting killed and I don't know from where. I start getting shot, I look around to defend myself but I rarely see who is killing me. This proves super annoying.

Often it is better to just sprint to cover instead of trying to find whoever is shooting at you.

I just had the weirdest wtf moment. I using the heavy mg on the roof of alpha on White Pass, shooting down trees, assuming I was safe as I had two squad mates on the roof too. When out of nowhere, I suddenly see a flimmer on my screen, and get a headshot... Apparently some guy had tried to knife me from behind and somehow I managed to kill him with the mg.

PedYup

Apologies to anyone joining my games lately. I´m working on the sniper´s platinums and I´m cheating and by cheating I mean playing in hardcore mode as it is a one shot kill affair with the bolt action rifles. Recons in this mode can be absolute ass*****. By the way, don´t go too near a tank when I´m driving it or warn me with the mic if you are going to repair it ;)

CatPee

Tomat said:
Any console players around here ridiculously good with the AT4 and taking down helicopters?

I'm still not convinced that kind of AT4 skill is possible with a controller. (The stuff you see in AT4 montages)

I'm pretty good, if I say so myself. Infantry and Blackhawks are easy shit, and others take me a few tries, but they go down regardless. Some of the guys here have seen me take down a few before. I'm not at the point of being able to take down UAVs yet though.

The Faceless Master said:
two words: chopper pilot

it's like running and shooting and getting a lot of kills, but faster and higher!

But the question is, can he lead and account for drop with the shots?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Coming from the 360 version, I'm loving that I actually get 60fps now :D. The weapons disadvantage isn't too bad either. A tracer dart or mortar would be great, but I find myself keeping up just fine with the starting Medic weapons and revivals.

CatPee said:
Yea wait until you run into pilots with the ridiculous Smoke and its few seconds long cooldown.
the only problem I had was no one was shooting at it. I was assault at the time, but I had to switch to engineer.

Tomat said:

I have taken down my fair share of choppers with the AT4. If a chopper is going in a predictable path and its not too far away (across the map on Heavy Metal) then It's pretty easy to take out. Blackhawks and Hinds are easier to take out.

With out high sensitivity and a mouse it is harder to pull off the things they do on PC, but I'm sure I've pissed off plenty of chopper pilots with my AT4. I swear by that thing. <3

zazrx said:
This game stresses me out. I like it but oh my god does it piss me off lol
I have been losing a few matches over the past week and it has made me rage. I was so close to finally getting a 7.0 w/l ratio and I am now back down to a 6.75. Shit is driving me crazy. I need to win so much more now in order to make up for my losses. I really, really hate losing in this game. Not about to throw controllers, but enough to where I do notice my blood pressure rising.

This is me when I lose a match...

red-foxx-o.gif

I'm comin to join ya Lizabeth, this is the big one!

lol. It can definitely get annoying especial when the rest of the team is not helping at all. I just played conquest with another Gaffer and the rest of the team was horrible. Blew an entire lead and loss the match.

olimpia84

Darkshier said:
I have been losing a few matches over the past week and it has made me rage. I was so close to finally getting a 7.0 w/l ratio and I am now back down to a 6.75. Shit is driving me crazy. I need to win so much more now in order to make up for my losses. I really, really hate losing in this game. Not about to throw controllers, but enough to where I do notice my blood pressure rising.

This is me when I lose a match...

red-foxx-o.gif

I'm comin to join ya Lizabeth, this is the big one!

I feel the exact same way, I really hate losing in this game. Last night I played with a bunch of randoms, I joined a game in Panama Canal which was pretty much out of reach so we lost...no big deal. For the second round it was a hard fought game but my team won.

Next match was Nelson Bay and most of my team quit, as well as the enemy team so it was a 6 vs 6 battle. First game we won by a lot of tickets to the point that we had them pinned in their own base towards the end of the game. For the second round the most annoying thing in the world happened. We were having a very big lead on them (something like 80 tickets) and all of the sudden I check the scoreboard and it's 6 of us against 11 of them! There's no doubt that either the AI felt sorry for them and assigned them five extra soldiers or that they started calling their buddies for help (most likely). So I'm like 'ok, it doesn't matter the game will probably assign us new players soon too'.....not a chances. Time went by and a good 15-20 minutes later it was still a 6 vs 11 match. Obviously by that time they already took the lead and all the flags...so fucking annoying. How the hell can the game not assign me players for my team? I refuse to believe that at that point nobody was trying to play the game...
Renderman joined later in that match but I had enough of it and decided to quit because my pressure started going up!

Pete Rock

Unless everybody is on the same page from the start of the game, Conquest quickly devolves into a desperate attempt at rushing through the map to secure the initial flags with the ultimate goal of boxing the enemy into their "base" which you generally can't enter, bleeding their tickets down from there.

What actually happens is you spend the next 30 minutes walking back and forth between the flags as they randomly fall to the one or two guys who manage to get out of their base, as the rest of your team is incompetent and there is no intersquad communication.

I'd rather have the Conquest maps from 43 to be honest, that's probably the biggest problem with the gametype in BC2, it's too goddamn linear due to the base design of Rush. They tried to find a happy medium with Vietnam but it's still problematic.

thezerofire said:
How exactly does Conquest work? I can't really figure it out.

It's TDM with bases. Every time somebody is killed, his/her team loses a ticket. If a medic resurrects someone, they regain that lost ticket. On top of this, a team loses tickets constantly, based on how many bases the opposing team has.

Pete Rock said:
Unless everybody is on the same page from the start of the game, Conquest quickly devolves into a desperate attempt at rushing through the map to secure the initial flags with the ultimate goal of boxing the enemy into their "base" which you generally can't enter, bleeding their tickets down from there.

What actually happens is you spend the next 30 minutes walking back and forth between the flags as they randomly fall to the one or two guys who manage to get out of their base, as the rest of your team is incompetent and there is no intersquad communication.

I'd rather have the Conquest maps from 43 to be honest, that's probably the biggest problem with the gametype in BC2, it's too goddamn linear due to the base design of Rush. They tried to find a happy medium with Vietnam but it's still problematic.

While CQ is by far my favorite mode, I can't argue that it is balanced. I really hope DICE put more work into balance in BF3.

TheSeks

olimpia84 said:
When are they going to release the BF3 beta? Please don't tell me I bought MOH on launch for nothing...

>He bought MoH to play BF3!
>laughinggirls.jpg

September.

Pancakes

For fucks sake, when did the noob tube become so effective? I got killed by it every now and again on the consoles but it seems so much more frequent (and far more damaging) on the PC version.

Has it always been like this?

TheSeks

Pankaks said:
For fucks sake, when did the noob tube become so effective? I got killed by it every now and again on the consoles but it seems to be always be a one hit kill whenever I'm playing on the PC.

Has it always been like this?

It's always been like that. You have to get a direct hit. Same for smoke.

Zlatko said:

They announced that when the release date was November? Unless it's been bumped up to August.

Pete Rock said:

Thats one of the reasons I'm not fond of conquest in the game, there is no ebb or flow to it at all, it just feels like I'm just aimlessly running around sometimes, with flags being taken seemingly at random. I can tolerate conquest on Laguna Alta or Arica Harbor, but other than that, meh.

zlatko

Banned
TheSeks said:
It's always been like that. You have to get a direct hit. Same for smoke.

They announced that when the release date was November? Unless it's been bumped up to August.

Unless they are doing a "beta", then they would definitely have to move it up to late August at the latest. If it's a real beta where they want to implement feedback and make serious balance changes, etc then releasing in September just seems too late. Wasn't the beta for BFBC2 like a 2 month process before games release? If it comes out in September as planned then they may as well just call it a demo.

Took a little bit of a mandatory hiatus *ahem*... gave up the PS3 a couple of months ago and opted into PC gaming, setup is nothing special at the moment but will be slowly upgrading as we get closer to BF3. Jeebus are the servers usually laggy as ever... managed to find a few good ones though. PC Gaf still play on a semi-daily basis?

BrLvgThrChmstry said:
Took a little bit of a mandatory hiatus *ahem*... gave up the PS3 a couple of months ago and opted into PC gaming, setup is nothing special at the moment but will be slowly upgrading as we get closer to BF3. Jeebus are the servers usually laggy as ever... managed to find a few good ones though. PC Gaf still play on a semi-daily basis?

wb man.
Thought you got perm banned or something.

TheSeks

zlatko said:
Unless they are doing a "beta", then they would definitely have to move it up to late August at the latest. If it's a real beta where they want to implement feedback and make serious balance changes, etc then releasing in September just seems too late. Wasn't the beta for BFBC2 like a 2 month process before games release? If it comes out in September as planned then they may as well just call it a demo.

You must be new to this generation. Let me introduce you: Demo, this is beta. Beta, this is demo. Now meet Zlatko. Pleasure.

"Beta"'s only good this outing for the FB2.0 requirements for PC building. That's about it.

TheSeks said:
You must be new to this generation. Let me introduce you: Demo, this is beta. Beta, this is demo. Now meet Zlatko. Pleasure.

"Beta"'s only good this outing for the FB2.0 requirements for PC building. That's about it.
BFBC2 had a Beta in November 2009 (Arica Harbour Rush) and then a Demo in February 2010 (Port Valdez Rush) on the PS3.

TheSeks

endlessflood said:
BFBC2 had a Beta in November 2009 (Arica Harbour Rush) and then a Demo in February 2010 (Port Valdez Rush) on the PS3.

Yes, but DICE isn't doing it here. *gasp!*

Past experience doesn't really help when the engine is new, you know?

zlatko

Banned
TheSeks said:

I guess I should explain that some betas have been coming out calling themselves that when no changes are made from the actual beta, because the game was already gold and done. (Killzone 3) Other betas like Gears of War 3, Uncharted 3, and the now on going Resistance 3 beta are examples of betas where changes happen during it, and even changes/feedback taken into account after like with Gears 3.

R3 beta starts now, game releases in September, which is more than enough time to actually test and apply. Just because players want to call them demos does not make them that, but my Killzone 3 example goes to show that some developers just release a multiplayer demo and straight up call it a beta even though the game has gone gold and make NO changes from it.

I hope BF3 is the real deal beta wise, but I won't be totally heart broken if it's just a demo labeled as one.

zlatko said:
I hope BF3 is the real deal beta wise, but I won't be totally heart broken if it's just a demo labeled as one.
If you look at the timeframe for the proper BFBC2 beta it's pretty clear that BF3 is only getting a demo. Having said that, I'm sure they'll use whatever data they collect to try and fine tune balance settings (weapons and vehicle stats, etc.).

zlatko

Banned
endlessflood said:
If you look at the timeframe for the proper BFBC2 beta it's pretty clear that BF3 is only getting a demo. Having said that, I'm sure they'll use whatever data they collect to try and fine tune balance settings (weapons and vehicle stats, etc.).

I don't know what the take is from the general BFBC2 community is on balance of weapons, but certain things from my play time seem broken as hell, and I hope the BF3 beta helps catch that kind of stuff. Did the BFBC2 demo let you have access to all the weapons or just a limited set? I can't remember for the life of me, but if I remember right it didn't give you everything but a few starting weapons which would make sense as to why some of the later stuff is broken.

In particular I mean the one shotgun you can basically use as a sniper rifle and if the first shot doesn't kill them follow up with a pistol bullet and they die. :( VSS is a bit ridiculous too online for me on PC version----just hold down left click and spray 900 bullets at someone to win lol. :/

zlatko said:
I don't know what the take is from the general BFBC2 community is on balance of weapons, but certain things from my play time seem broken as hell, and I hope the BF3 beta helps catch that kind of stuff. Did the BFBC2 demo let you have access to all the weapons or just a limited set? I can't remember for the life of me, but if I remember right it didn't give you everything but a few starting weapons which would make sense as to why some of the later stuff is broken.

In particular I mean the one shotgun you can basically use as a sniper rifle and if the first shot doesn't kill them follow up with a pistol bullet and they die. :( VSS is a bit ridiculous too online for me on PC version----just hold down left click and spray 900 bullets at someone to win lol. :/

I can't think of a weapon that's blantantly overpowered in the game anymore, certainly not shotguns with slugs or the vss. The shotguns at least require precision aiming, and the vss is probably the hardest to handle automatic in the game.Dice didn't get weapon balance right at first( the carl gustav was a monster until it was nerfed! ), but they fixed it overtime through the patches;at least to me they did

Top Bottom