• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 |OT2| See, Spot, Run

Odrion

Banned
Just got a new PC, and I'm finally trying out the PC version of BC2.

Damn, the game is still so much fun. And I stopped playing since a year ago, so there's quite a bit of new maps to try out.

Although it sucks being at Rank 1 again. Fighting without Magnum Ammo is pretty lame. I wish there was a way I could just bring my 360 soldier over to the PC and get all that crap I already unlocked.

Jas

JJD said:
I wonder how this will work, imagine if your squad leader is a sniper who camps on his own base with a 12/2 K/D but is otherwise kinda useless to the team? Or on conquest if he is a plane/chopper whore? If kills/points are going to be used to measure performance we might get screwed...

By the way, I'm loving the Uzi...just sniped some guys on a hardcore Laguna Presa match yesterday, the uzi's iron sights are amazing!

It's still tough for me to gauge it yet since it really didn't work much in the alpha.
Hopefully it works in the beta this way they'll be able to get a lot more feedback on it.

I'd prefer they keep squad spawning in Rush and have squad leader spawning in Conquest since I think it puts more emphasis on capturing bases.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the new revive system.
You can actually do an entire 360 to scan the area before you accept a revive.
Now the opposition can see you moving while you do that and kill you which takes away the revive option and you'll spawn at your base. I liked it a lot.

Also, the uzi is a beast!

JJD

Jas said:
It's still tough for me to gauge it yet since it really didn't work much in the alpha.
Hopefully it works in the beta this way they'll be able to get a lot more feedback on it.

I'd prefer they keep squad spawning in Rush and have squad leader spawning in Conquest since I think it puts more emphasis on capturing bases.

As I said, it will be a great responsibility for the squad leader, especially on rush. I don't know if my play style is suited to the task. I die to much. Hopefully we'll be able to choose who's the leader! Or maybe the rest of the squad can vote to demote a poor one!

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the new revive system.
You can actually do an entire 360 to scan the area before you accept a revive.
Now the opposition can see you moving while you do that and kill you which takes away the revive option and you'll spawn at your base. I liked it a lot.

The new revive system seems great to me!

Also, the uzi is a beast!

Lol, I can't believe I neglected this weapon based only on it's stats! Thanks for the earlier advice! ;-)

Salsa

Recently got a PC upgrade and cranked up the graphics to max. Blowin my mind, but at the same time, im getting some bad LOD and draw distance (everything's at max in the options though).

Some textures pop up only when im a couple meters in front of them, same with grass appearing out of nowhere, specially noticeable on a vehicle.

Is this somewhat normal on BC2 to achieve the nice performance or is there something wrong with my videocard settings perhaps?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
SalsaShark said:
Recently got a PC upgrade and cranked up the graphics to max. Blowin my mind, but at the same time, im getting some bad LOD and draw distance (everything's at max in the options though).

Some textures pop up only when im a couple meters in front of them, same with grass appearing out of nowhere, specially noticeable on a vehicle.

Is this somewhat normal on BC2 to achieve the nice performance or is there something wrong with my videocard settings perhaps?
No everyone is stuck the grass drawing in quite obviously when in vehicles on PC.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
It's noticeable on PS3 as well. At least on Panama Canal for me. That said, you shouldn't be sitting and looking at the flowers. You should be blowing the flowers up to kill the people sitting and staring at the flowers. :p

Faceless said:
that's why i added the ™

So long as we know who coined the term. :p

JJD said:
I wonder how this will work

Probably similar to BC1's (Which ever squad mate is closest to the action is the one you'll spawn on), and thus poorly. :|

or is this just something on hardcore servers?

Correct. Hardcore removes the UI elements like Call of Duty's hardcore. Hence, it sucking because it's attempting to be CoD when it shouldn't be.

JJD

TheSeks said:
Correct. Hardcore removes the UI elements like Call of Duty's hardcore. Hence, it sucking because it's attempting to be CoD when it shouldn't be.

I've been playing a lot of hardcore lately. How the hell do you aim the grenade launcher attachment on some of the assault rifles??? There's absolutely no indication whatsoever on where the grenade will hit! I think just 2 or 3 rifles have targeting sights (like the AN-94).

If shotguns can have crosshairs on hardcore some other weapons should as well.

TheSeks

JJD said:
I've been playing a lot of hardcore lately. How the hell do you aim the grenade launcher attachment on some of the assault rifles??? There's absolutely no indication whatsoever on where the grenade will hit! I think just 2 or 3 rifles have targeting sights (like the AN-94).

Welcome to aim down sight for them from BC1. BC1 didn't have any indicators for where they hit before. Made them only useful to take out cover and killing six people for the award was bullshit. :|

Shotguns shouldn't even had a crosshair in hardcore, I feel. Given the fact they're meant for close encounters anyway.

JJD said:

put a dot on the center of your TV

vaelic

Banned
You know... I have always played nothing but conquest mode in BC2, like all previous BF games but lately I decided to give RUSH a try and MAN, I think it is actually more intense and fun.

Yopis

Correct. Hardcore removes the UI elements like Call of Duty's hardcore. Hence, it sucking because it's attempting to be CoD when it shouldn't be.[/QUOTE]

Hardcore is just fine is that's your preferred way to play. Playing with a KillCam is garbage.

TheSeks

Yopis said:
Hardcore is just fine is that's your preferred way to play. Playing with a KillCam is garbage.

Playing Hardcore pretty much destroys the roles that all the classes have in Rush. Killcam option not withstanding.

TheSeks said:
Playing Hardcore pretty much destroys the roles that all the classes have in Rush. Killcam option not withstanding.
Not really. My friend plays a medic in Hardcore and always knows when and where to revive. She is always getting top points and ace pins. Hardcore takes away the crutches that you get used to in regular, like spotting and the mini map.

SalsaShark said:

What's your GPU and CPU? I know I'm bottlenecking the hell out of my 6950 in BC2 with my old phenom but I'd rather wait for BD CPUs to come out.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
BC2 has the weirdest Killcam... I was completely opposed to it initially, but have since grow accustomed. I like that it punishes recons.

It's still weird as hell though, that they show you what a person is doing after they've killed you, instead of the events that lead to your death. I've wondered why they do it this way, if it was some design decision, and have come to think it must be a shortcut -- that DICE was unable to do a traditional killcam and so chose this weird compromise instead.

Hardcore mode is similar to killcam, in that it feels half-baked and poorly implemented. Good idea, if one likes that sort of thing, but not executed very well.

BC2 in general is kind of a mixed bag. I hope they spend more time getting BF3 ready for retail (god knows they don't support this shit after it hits the shelves)

TheSeks

Darkshier said:
Not really. My friend plays a medic in Hardcore and always knows when and where to revive. She is always getting top points and ace pins. Hardcore takes away the crutches that you get used to in regular, like spotting and the mini map.

AKA: Let's turn the game into a sniper camp fest and break Rush mode because no one will attempt to get close.

Hardcore is a terrible mode.

TheSeks said:
AKA: Let's turn the game into a sniper camp fest and break Rush mode because no one will attempt to get close.

If it is a sniper camp fest, then that means easy wins for me. Really though, you get as many snipers in regular as you do hardcore.

I don't have a problem with either mode and am starting to prefer hardcore because of the damage model and lack of killcam. No grenade indicator is awesome as well. The only thing that I can never get used to, is that I still spot in hardcore, it is habit. At least I still get points for it...

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Darkshier said:
If it is a sniper camp fest, then that means easy wins for me. Really though, you get as many snipers in regular as you do hardcore.

I don't have a problem with either mode and am starting to prefer hardcore because of the damage model and lack of killcam. No grenade indicator is awesome as well. The only thing that I can never get used to, is that I still spot in hardcore, it is habit. At least I still get points for it...

I played a few HC games recently and I cannot not spot lol.

I had also forgotten about friendly fire. Whoops! haha.

JJD

The Faceless Master said:
put a dot on the center of your TV

Hahaha!!! You're amazing man, I would never, ever think of something like this!

TheSeks said:

Well, I must confess...the reason I'm playing hardcore lately is precisely to play troll 1 hit kill lone wolf sniper! After 500 plus hours on this game, I have to find something to keep me interested, since most gaffers aren't playing on my preferred hours, and playing with randoms is painful to me now.

I try to help my team, and always have one of the objectives on sight. My stats are suffering but damn if it isn't fun.

Teknoman

What sucks is that it seems the majority of PC servers (in North America) have hardcore turned on, or at least it was like that last night.

Nabs

Teknoman said:
What sucks is that it seems the majority of PC servers (in North America) have hardcore turned on, or at least it was like that last night.
Make sure you don't have hardcore checked off.

droopy

Teknoman said:

Just bought the game last week and I noticed the same thing. I also noticed high-level players (and probably everyone else, it's just easier to notice with them) are absolutley shameless about team-stacking.
They should really think about scrambling teams after a map is done, especially if one side is 7-0 or something.

Jas

Teknoman said:

Double click on Hardcore on the server filter when doing a search. It should be a X marking the box not a check mark. It will search for non-hardcore servers, there's plenty in North America.

vaelic

Banned
Jas said:
Double click on Hardcore on the server filter when doing a search. It should be a X marking the box not a check mark. It will search for non-hardcore servers, there's plenty in North America.
this!

droopy said:
Just bought the game last week and I noticed the same thing. I also noticed high-level players (and probably everyone else, it's just easier to notice with them) are absolutley shameless about team-stacking.
They should really think about scrambling teams after a map is done, especially if one side is 7-0 or something.
Players who aren't in a squad get auto-balanced to even teams at the beginning of a new round. Team stacking happens, people want to play with their friends.

And yeah, they are high levels because the game has been out over a 1.5 years, naturally there are going to be a ton of high ranked people. Doesn't mean they are any good, just means they have spent more time playing the game. I have run into countless 50's who don't play as well as the level 5's on the team.

Jas

droopy said:

Try playing on the noob/intermediate servers.
I think most of them don't allow anyone ranked higher than 25 on them.
If they have decent admins it shouldn't be a problem.
It will give you a chance to get more unlocks and find the weapons that work for you.

Darkshier said:
doesn't take away the chopper's crutches like a HUD that displays vehicles, etc. i still remember that Oasis hardcore game last week. when the chopper finally got shot down, the other team had nothing to offer and they couldn't take the final set of crates.

JJD said:
Hahaha!!! You're amazing man, I would never, ever think of something like this!
yeah, it was an old BC1 instant scoping trick i saw in a youtube video. in BC1, the instant you press zoom, your sniper rifle shot becomes accurate, so all you had to do was press zoom and shoot simultaneously to instant scope. the resulting shot is way more accurate than no scoping.

Teknoman

Nabs said:
Make sure you don't have hardcore checked off.

Jas said:

vaelic said:

Thanks for the heads up.

In the last two days, I dont think i've laughed out loud more in a multiplayer game than with BC2. Both at myself and at other players...and then there are the "rambo" moments during conquest mode.

The Faceless Master said:
doesn't take away the chopper's crutches like a HUD that displays vehicles, etc. i still remember that Oasis hardcore game last week. when the chopper finally got shot down, the other team had nothing to offer and they couldn't take the final set of crates.

yeah, it was an old BC1 instant scoping trick i saw in a youtube video. in BC1, the instant you press zoom, your sniper rifle shot becomes accurate, so all you had to do was press zoom and shoot simultaneously to instant scope. the resulting shot is way more accurate than no scoping
I think the attack choppers were never meant to be balanced, in any mode. I wish the hardcore chopper HUD didn't show vehicles though, really no need for big red diamonds around tanks and such.

And about that dot at the center of the screen. I learned about the "3rd Eye" trick back in like 2001 from my Counter-Strike playing friends. I have had a dot on my TV and Monitor ever since then Lol.

Darkshier said:
I think the attack choppers were never meant to be balanced, in any mode.
That's a fair point, I suppose many of the vehicles are supposed to give one team an advantage. The important thing is that there still be effective counters to those vehicles so that the advantage is temporary rather than prolonged.

MG3 has gotten the platinum treatment

Next Assault/Medic combo is the M16A2 and the XM8 LMG. And I'm closing in getting the platinum star for the M24 (less than 80 kills to go)

And once BF3 finally comes out, I'm officially done with BC2. The game's servers are such a fucking joke. Once you're in the middle of a round and all of a sudden you're taken straight back to the 360 Dashboard, that's when you know it's time to move on to something better

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Quick Question:

I about to purchase this game from Origin, since BFBC2 is region locked in China. However, before I purchase I was wondering if there are any servers located in China, and are there many Chinese servers?

TheSeks

Liquid_015 said:
Quick Question:

I about to purchase this game from Origin, since BFBC2 is region locked in China. However, before I purchase I was wondering if there are any servers located in China, and are there many Chinese servers?

Er-If it's region locked, why not buy it from China if that's your native country?

That said, I don't think there is any servers in China for BC2. There is servers for Japan that AU uses so that'd be the closest thing after.

Yopis

TheSeks said:

To each their own no worries. Both modes are fun but HC is great to me. Never had more snipers than in regular so I think that's a bit harsh. Personally I don't need radar or spotting or that damn KillCam. Snipers are a problem but they can be put down if your team is smart. The flow of the game is more organic to me with a slower more cautious pace. Also it's cool spotting a sniper by his muzzle flash and then getting a headshot. With friends I will roll regular but it's harder and harder to go back. Maybe some 360 gaf games will be fun.

JJD

Guys, I can't make a thread yet, so I'll just post this here. If you were on PSN plus, and had a couple of full game trials on your system it might be a good idea to check those games on PSN.

I was browsing the store today, and I saw the red shopping bag icon on the 2008 version of Prince Of Persia. I had the full game trial of that game on my system before the whole PSN fiasco, but I hadn't played it yet, much less bought it. I clicked the icon, and the download option appeared, so I started it.

Then I decided to search every full game trial I had before PSN went down, and Playstation Move Heroes had the red shopping bag icon as well. I downloaded it. All the other full game trials I had, had just the blue shopping bag in it, no option to download, just to buy it.

I went to account management, transaction, and then download list and found that both games were downloaded on 03/24/2011, so I checked the transaction history for that day, and found that I had downloaded the Prince full game trial on that day, but didn't buy it. No sign of Playstation Move Heroes though. I searched my whole transaction history from january of 2010 to today to see if anything was debited on my account and nothing, I didn't find any sign of those games at all ($29,00 and $19,00).

My download history was a little messed up when the PSN came back, I had 12 Quore episodes downloaded on the same day and I obviously didn't do that. But I didn't find anything missing, nor I remember seeing the Prince or Heroes download.

So if you were a PSN Plus member, and had some full games trials, it might be worth checking the status of those games, you might find a surprise!

Liquid_015 said:
before I purchase I was wondering if there are any servers located in China, and are there many Chinese servers?
Which platform are you talking about? If it's PS3, these are the IP addresses of all of the BFBC2 servers I've come across:

188.122.64.X Europe
188.122.66.X Europe
188.122.67.X Europe
213.163.65.X Europe
213.163.68.X Europe
213.163.75.X Europe
213.163.78.X Europe
213.163.80.X Europe
213.163.81.X Europe
64.34.187.X US East
64.34.190.X US East
64.34.208.X US East
69.174.253.X US East
216.157.96.X US West
216.157.97.X US West
109.200.221.X Japan
175.45.132.76 Australia

olimpia84

lately my game is having the frostbite freeze a lot. It happened to me last night twice so and I was so pissed that I decided to quit. It's happening almost every single time I'm inside a tank and bump into another tank....

Darkshier said:

Meh, I kind of like spotting, it gives a chance for someone like me who sucks to play a scout/support role and actually advance.

So, I normally just play on random servers, is there a main GAF server still, or ones where GAF players tend to play on?

I'd love to actually play MP using headset and teamwork in a squad. I mean it's still fun to just go crazy and stuff, but I do enjoy what Rush mode allows for teams.

Top Bottom