• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 |OT2| See, Spot, Run

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The Faceless Master said:
i noticed because i was trying to do the same thing. then i saw you got it, so i shot you with a 40MM.

So that's why you were shooting me. I knew you were annoyed, but not by something like that. :lol

olimpia84

It's a good deal for those who don't have the game yet. I think I'll buy 1943 to check it out and hold me until Vietnam comes out.

OldJadedGamer said:
Well, now I know why BC2 dropped to $40. Game of the Year type edition is coming out. Has access to 1943 download and Onslaught mode included. You save 5 bucks but it's something.

BC2 = $40
Onslaught = $10
1943 = $15

Total = $65

BC2 Ultimate = $60

But I'm sure it will drop in price soon. I'll double dip on the PS3 version when I can get the Ultimate version for $40 brand new.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/08/12/battlefield-bad-company-2-ultimate-edition-leaked-by-retailers/
Onslaught + 1943 bundle is $20 on the PSN iirc

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Heh... the game's $30 on steam now too. I've been getting people to buy it now that it's cheaper so I have more people to play with once I have everything back and set up :D

Just got my internet back today and had a few games--good playing, PC GAF! Never ever got past that fucking hill on Valparaiso as attackers, though.

One thing I haven't mentioned is how nice PC GAF is! My little brother plays occasionally and literally knew NO one other than me, and even though he says some dumb and young things occasionally, GAF is super cool with him.

Wthermans

Banned
suplex said:
are they ever going to release 1943 on pc?
I ask zh1nt0 roughly every month and get the same canned "no details yet" response. Honestly I really doubt they will and even if they do, I don't see it having much of a population if they charge the same price that consoles paid for it. Honestly I'm kinda pissed at DICE for ignoring PC players the way they have. No Onslaught, no 1943, no Ultimate Edition (albeit no need for it since we get the DLC for free and Onslaught/1943s still have no plans for PC or are delayed for over a year), and Vietnam is probably going to splinter the community. Given the news that BF3 is multiplatform, I'm close to dropping the BF franchise.

No_Style

Crakatak187 said:
Playing today frustrated me. It wasn't the opposing team it was my team this time.

PS3 GAF was on with Faceless, Seks, Olimpia and myself. Should have dropped by!

I'm really enjoying the level of competition we face sometimes. Love the perseverance people put up. Sometimes I wonder how they get to the places they do since we usually have a pretty good line of defense.

indeed. i saw that double D2.0 (and TK lol) you got earlier today on Nelson Bay. poor endlessflood got crushed, that's what happens when you roll on the other side!
That was brutal, I was playing on my own against a team made entirely of my own clanmates plus you and Seks. And because that behemoth was winning every match the two randoms on your team wouldn't leave (I can just imagine them saying to themselves "wow I'm on fire tonight, I'm winning every match, this is the best I've ever played!" lol) which left me playing solo :(

On the bright side I did manage to snag two GAF dog tags. I don't think Seks was too big a fan of that though because he gave me some teabag action the next time he got me, which I naturally returned in kind shortly thereafter :lol

TheSeks said:
AKS-74U Platinum Star unlocked. Time to go back to the basics and work on the 9A-91 (basic SMG you start with), seems to be a pure monster when in the right area and situations.
I'm not a fan of the 9A-91, as with the Uzi I just can't seem to get it to work for me. The damage is great but the small mag and ammo count mixed with my poor aim mean that it's my least preferred Engineer option after the Uzi.

TheSeks

Yeah, that's it. Fuck the M14. It would be a nice gun if it didn't jump around like a scared bitch on firing. That + the 10 round magazine = not good to try to hose somebody through the recoil. It seems set for long distance shooting, but really. WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU USE THE M14 IN LONG RANGE, esp. when it's damage rate seems pretty poor even with Magnum Ammo on.

And taking down buildings without explosive upgrade is an exercise in frustration.

I'll stick to my BFF G3 when going Assault, at least it's damage rate and mag size is decent.

TheSeks said:
Yeah, that's it. Fuck the M14. It would be a nice gun if it didn't jump around like a scared bitch on firing. That + the 10 round magazine = not good to try to hose somebody through the recoil. It seems set for long distance shooting, but really. WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU USE THE M14 IN LONG RANGE, esp. when it's damage rate seems pretty poor even with Magnum Ammo on.

And taking down buildings without explosive upgrade is an exercise in frustration.

I'll stick to my BFF G3 when going Assault, at least it's damage rate and mag size is decent.
that last team we were on was so terrible! i got disconnected, rejoined and somehow shot back up to like 4th in a few minutes, and i'm not even at full strength, i'm dead tired and sleepy. you would think 7 blue dots could hold 1 flag, but noooooo.

time for me to call it a night and just relax in bed with my netbook.

I had a similar experience on Rush today. About 5-7 guys around Bravo couldn't defuse and take out 2 guys nearby Bravo. It was flat out embarrassing. I was watching over Alpha since the team was completely oblivious towards Alpha. I was so enraged I took out 7 guys within 20 seconds, they were attacking Alpha in a group.

olimpia84 said:
Good games tonight, I liked how this time the opposing team actually put up a fight for most of the matches.
indeed, they put up a good fight and really fought off our spawn trap attempts, which must have been especially stressful for them when they got Valdez -> Atacama -> Valdez all in a row.

TheSeks

that last team we were on was so terrible! i got disconnected, rejoined and somehow shot back up to like 4th in a few minutes, and i'm not even at full strength, i'm dead tired and sleepy. you would think 7 blue dots could hold 1 flag, but noooooo.

time for me to call it a night and just relax in bed with my netbook.

The trouble started when they all swarmed to B instead of sticking to A and some coming to B to help me and you.

BTW, you should've started to shoot at the two dudes that killed me instead of reviving me and then having me die to revive to die. I'm like "FUCKING SHOOT THEM MAN! I CAN'T KILL THEM WHEN I REVIVE! FFFFFFFF." :lol

In any case: AEK-971 Gold Star 1 unlocked shortly after that game (I left that game to join Arica Harbor Conquest).

4x sight is the only way to roll with that gun, hate the iron sights and the red dot sight is fucking bullshit in this game. Hate the RDS in this game. It's terrible.

Level 39 unlocked that game as well. Starting to hit level 40-50 clantards. Certainly not fun to play against, esp. with randoms. Lost Arica Conquest despite a strong on-join lead because suddenly they couldn't help defend flags and the other team started to swarm on me. FFFFF.

Welcome to the level 40-50 clantards llike you posted. The game is less fun facing against them. I agree Red Dot Sight is trash, it's not even needed, waste of a spec slot.

Edit: After getting hip fire RDS is pointless. ACOG+Hip fire is the way to go. I should really joke around with the F2000.

Yeah I'm constantly having people trying to knife me. Today I pumped 6 bullets into this guy and got knifed, damn lag he had 100% life still. A lot of the time I move because I sense something is off and I hear a grunt of a knife miss, it's another reason I'm so paranoid. It saved me a lot of times though.

I got knifed over 100 times since I started playing. 17 times after I turned 41 not bad though.

TheSeks said:
The trouble started when they all swarmed to B instead of sticking to A and some coming to B to help me and you.

BTW, you should've started to shoot at the two dudes that killed me instead of reviving me and then having me die to revive to die. I'm like "FUCKING SHOOT THEM MAN! I CAN'T KILL THEM WHEN I REVIVE! FFFFFFFF." :lol

In any case: AEK-971 Gold Star 1 unlocked shortly after that game (I left that game to join Arica Harbor Conquest).

4x sight is the only way to roll with that gun, hate the iron sights and the red dot sight is fucking bullshit in this game. Hate the RDS in this game. It's terrible.

Level 39 unlocked that game as well. Starting to hit level 40-50 clantards. Certainly not fun to play against, esp. with randoms. Lost Arica Conquest despite a strong on-join lead because suddenly they couldn't help defend flags and the other team started to swarm on me. FFFFF.
i kept peeking to find them, but wasn't sure exactly where they were, since i couldn't see the tracer fire, all i knew was they were somewhere on the right between D and B. oh man, wait 'till you hit 41! you'll have to deal with that and a whole bunch of people trying to knife you because they're obsessed with gold tags.

and speaking of Arica... Pro Tube strikes again!

ps3_faceless360.png

TheSeks

i kept peeking to find them, but wasn't sure exactly where they were, since i couldn't see the tracer fire, all i knew was they were somewhere on the right between D and B. oh man, wait 'till you hit 41! you'll have to deal with that and a whole bunch of people trying to knife you because they're obsessed with gold tags.

and speaking of Arica... Pro Tube strikes again!

You and your protube. I have yet to get any kills with it. Just can't care.

Yeah, I'm expecting the knives and shit. Which is why I kinda hang back.

Yeah I'm constantly having people trying to knife me. Today I pumped 6 bullets into this guy and got knifed, damn lag he had 100% life still. A lot of the time I move because I sense something is off and I hear a grunt of a knife miss, it's another reason I'm so paranoid. It saved me a lot of times though.

I had this utter "WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT" moment earlier today with Faceless/Olimpia and I think I_shoot_to_kill. Dude comes around the corner on Nelson Bay rush. I start to hipfire and back up. THE DUDE ISN'T EVEN FACING ME TO KNIFE (he's at like a 30 degree angle) and still gets a knife kill on me. WTF. The knife animation I FUCKING SAW was right in front of my view, NO WHERE NEAR HITTING ME and yet the game counts it. WTF.

I had tons of bullshit I got knife moments. Most of them is the same scenario I posted. Kind of funny how a guy can tank a hail of bullets and 1 stab me to death, I blame COD4. I personally think it would be better if it only 1 hit kill from the back like Counter Strike and Halo.

Crakatak187 said:
I had tons of bullshit I got knife moments. Most of them is the same scenario I posted. Kind of funny how a guy can tank a hail of bullets and 1 stab me to death, I blame COD4. I personally think it would be better if it only 1 hit kill from the back like Counter Strike and Halo.
I watched one of my teammates take 3 swipes to kill a guy on the Stationary AT last night. And this particular guys has more than 6000 dog tags so he knows what he's doing - he was pressed right up against the back of the guy and didn't move in between swipes at all. So the bullshit knifing moments definitely work both ways, and in my experience if anything they seem to favour the knife victim far more often than the knifer!

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
endlessflood said:
I watched one of my teammates take 3 swipes to kill a guy on the Stationary AT last night. And this particular guys has more than 6000 dog tags so he knows what he's doing - he was pressed right up against the back of the guy and didn't move in between swipes at all. So the bullshit knifing moments definitely work both ways, and in my experience if anything they seem to favour the knife victim far more often than the knifer!

i can easily say that half my dogtags have come from people trying (failing) to knife me :lol.

UFRA

I don't even bother trying to knife people anymore since one of the last patches unless my target is unaware of my presence and standing/crouching still.

It's 99.999999999999999% likely that it will fail if the person is moving ever so slightly...at least the way my luck seems to work. :/

Sucks too, because when I first started playing the game, the first few months went really well with knifing. I have well over 300 knife kills, but about 90% of them came within the earlier months, prior to some of the patches. After that, the lag seems to have killed my knifing runs.

LowParry

Old? I dunno. Thought I get back into some BC2 for PC and games are laggy as hell and I'm getting a ping of 90 - 110. Some latest patch fucked things up from what I read? What's going on? :lol Don't make me go to Black Ops!

TheSeks said:

Just got platinum on the M14 yesterday, for some reason the star shows up at 950 kills.

I think I mentioned earlier that I forced myself to use the M14 in a desperate attempt to improve my aim and headshot rate. Right around gold star 5 the gun just clicked with me and as you mentioned, it's great at medium to long range. At close range, I needed to learn to rapidly squeeze the trigger 3 times from the hip and that solved that problem for me.

The experiment was a success, at least temporarily.

I started using the XM8 because I like the iron sights and FUUUUUUUUUU
Going from the M14 to XM8 felt like I was using a cheat code. I was killing people with 3 bullets whereas in the past it took me half a clip.

But I already feel myself regressing :/

endlessflood said:
The stationary AT is known to have hit detection problems. I personally went up to a guy once on it and took a repair tool and went in circles around the guy, no hits at all, so I just knifed him. I can't count how much time I shot a guy on the stationary AT without any bullets actually registering. I wasted a whole clip on him and I'm a decent shot I know it should have killed him within 4-6 shots (Before the 25%+ damage was taken away). It still happens to this day.

Another occurrence I had, I was the gunner of a tank spraying a hailstorm at the stationary AT guy, absolutely no hits at all.

I don't really like using weapons with huge flaws. I find the XM8 is too way more inaccurate then the M416, M16 just bugs me that I have to shoot slow just to maintain accuracy. I rather use M416 then the M16. I like using the AN because of it's accuracy, the power it packs is just a plus. I stick to one weapon and get better at that weapon. I been using it since the beta I'm not switching even if it gets nerfed.

Crakatak187 said:
I don't really like using weapons with huge flaws. I find the XM8 is too way more inaccurate then the M416, M16 just bugs me that I have to shoot slow just to maintain accuracy. I rather use M416 then the M16. I like using the AN because of it's accuracy, the power it packs is just a plus. I stick to one weapon and get better at that weapon. I been using it since the beta I'm not switching even if it gets nerfed.

Haven't used the other rifles that much, just to get bronze stars.
I used the XM8 w/ red dot when I played the demo so I was pretty used to it. I picked one up recently when I was out of ammo and really liked the iron sights, very unobtrusive, plus I need that spec slot
for crate bashing.

Man, I was dropping fools like crazy though when I switched from the M14.
Felt like fucking Superman.

I get that as well when I switch. When I practice aiming I rather practice with Pistols. It feels much different from other weapons and with such small sights it can be a challenge towards far moving targets. I miss a lot but I get some kills sometimes long range.

I tried the Rex but it's flaws were too apparent. Slow ass shooting, best pistols are M9/M1911 to me.

It's not just power, a balance between power, accuracy is high important, and rate of fire.

I gave up aiming with pistols, couldn't do it. The gun obstructs the target too much.

I shoot from the hip exclusively with pistols, even at medium range when only one out three shots connects. It's the only way I can get kills.

TheSeks said:

Crakatak187 said:
Welcome to the level 40-50 clantards llike you posted. The game is less fun facing against them. I agree Red Dot Sight is trash, it's not even needed, waste of a spec slot.

Edit: After getting hip fire RDS is pointless. ACOG+Hip fire is the way to go. I should really joke around with the F2000.

You guys are crazy. RDS is the only sight I use now. ACOG just doesn't feel right and the muzzle climb makes consistent long range shots difficult. I used to like the ACOG, but now anytime I'm rolling engy or medic, it's RDS.

How do you "get" hip fire?

CcrooK said:
Old? I dunno. Thought I get back into some BC2 for PC and games are laggy as hell and I'm getting a ping of 90 - 110. Some latest patch fucked things up from what I read? What's going on? :lol Don't make me go to Black Ops!

PC is still playing, there were about five of us playing last night. In game ping of 90-110 really isn't that bad. Patch hasn't done anything to the game for me (except improve it).

~STATS TIME HAS BEEN ENGAGED~

ps3_faceless360.png

360_faceless360.png

TheSeks said:
You and your protube. I have yet to get any kills with it. Just can't care.

Yeah, I'm expecting the knives and shit. Which is why I kinda hang back.

I had this utter "WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT" moment earlier today with Faceless/Olimpia and I think I_shoot_to_kill. Dude comes around the corner on Nelson Bay rush. I start to hipfire and back up. THE DUDE ISN'T EVEN FACING ME TO KNIFE (he's at like a 30 degree angle) and still gets a knife kill on me. WTF. The knife animation I FUCKING SAW was right in front of my view, NO WHERE NEAR HITTING ME and yet the game counts it. WTF.
seriously Pro Tubing is fun! it really is.

Crakatak187 said:
yeah, it's hilarious sometimes how i get knifed thru a hail of gunfire while backing away and other times i just move a little and they whiff and i knife them instead.

endlessflood said:
yeah, if i knife once and miss, i'm probably not knifing again, if i knife twice, i'm definitely not knifing again, and sometimes, i'll just shoot instead of knifing at all.

Crakatak187 said:
I get that as well when I switch. When I practice aiming I rather practice with Pistols. It feels much different from other weapons and with such small sights it can be a challenge towards far moving targets. I miss a lot but I get some kills sometimes long range.

I tried the Rex but it's flaws were too apparent. Slow ass shooting, best pistols are M9/M1911 to me.

It's not just power, a balance between power, accuracy is high important, and rate of fire.
i use pistols mainly to top off after my clip runs empty and i'm still in combat, and the power of the rex has helped me on many occasions. that one shot power has been enough to end the engagement.

olimpia84

Last night I felt bad for the other team when we started raping them in their spawn camp on Atacama desert. We had like 4 or 5 tanks and two choppers with level 50 pilots that were just strafing around the base. The funny thing is that when the other team started getting fed up and rage quit new people would come in so it was 12 vs 12 pretty much the whole time.

TheSeks

Mr. Snrub said:
You guys are crazy. RDS is the only sight I use now. ACOG just doesn't feel right and the muzzle climb makes consistent long range shots difficult. I used to like the ACOG, but now anytime I'm rolling engy or medic, it's RDS.

Considering all you have to do is "TAP TAP TAP" on the 4x, it's not that bad. If you go full auto, yeah you'll be inaccurate. But why wouldn't you be tapping?

Close quarters, spraying from the hip is the only way to go.

Rex isn't bad. Rex is really awesome if you slap Magnum Ammo (yes, part of the problem with the game) on it. Med range 1-2 shots from the hip (it's really accurate) will take down someone. One shot close range is more than enough to end it. Headshots will generally kill a person.

Don't knock the Rex. It's a decent sidearm in desperate situations.

olimpia84 said:
Last night I felt bad for the other team when we started raping them in their spawn camp on Atacama desert. We had like 4 or 5 tanks and two choppers with level 50 pilots that were just strafing around the base. The funny thing is that when the other team started getting fed up and rage quit new people would come in so it was 12 vs 12 pretty much the whole time.
i always put mines on the ramp because usually, someone, somehow, someway, manages to get on a quad/hummer/cobra and speed off. they didn't that time... :D

olimpia84

Today I FINALLY got the damn marksman insignia while playing Rush with faceless, rockscar2 and dreamgazer.
It was also my first time playing White Pass Rush and it was fun, we steam rolled on offense and we did a good team effort to hold them in the first set while on defense. I must say though that it requires a huge team effort to hold the enemy on the first set; if the other team gets past that you're toast.

My bad Seks the game we joined was full, didn't really expect that :lol

Was tearing people up with the F2000. It's not a bad gun in the right hands. That's it I'm going to platinum this joke gun :lol

Weak ass shit though. Funny thing majority of my kills was mid to long range.

About the how you get hip fire question. I guess I worded it in a bad way. Get use to hip fire is what I intended to imply.

TheSeks

Crakatak187 said:

It's fine. I just joined Olimpia and No_Style in Conquest and just base raped the other team. So no huge loss.

Razor getting pissy with me when my idea of C4 Helicopter was being attacked, so I rushed out of bounds to second set. Blew it RIGHT AS THE MORTARS STRUCK ME and said "YOU CAN'T FLY!"

Bullshit, I can fly (not excellent, but to where I don't crash) but he apparently didn't notice we were taking fire and I had C4 (Which, BTW IS WHAT THAT BLINKY OX THING ON MY HELI WAS) and wasn't going to have that attack go to waste (I was waiting on second set to open up, which wasn't happening with them on the island).

I went to M9 after the nerf but 2 months later I realize it lacked stopping power so I switched back to M1911. Hands down the best pistol for me.

No_Style

I may go back to it. I got screwed over a few times tonight, but it was partially due to random lag which caused me to miss a whole clip of G3 ammo on nothing.

Also, the unreliable knife saddens me so much.

I went up to a guy today and sprayed up close next to his head with the F2000 and rubberband kicked in and it never registered at all and I died.

Crakatak187 said:

Was tearing people up with the F2000. It's not a bad gun in the right hands. That's it I'm going to platinum this joke gun :lol

Weak ass shit though. Funny thing majority of my kills was mid to long range.
I actually take the F2000 with a 4X scope and find it not only effective but also a lot of fun; much like the Thompson it just feels powerful when you use it (combination of animation and audio I guess) even if it isn't. And yeah the 4X scope would seem to run counter to the weapon's strength (high ROF) but it does seem to work petty well for some reason.

Salacious Crumb said:
I really need to get back into this game, but none of my friends play anymore :(
What platform Salacious?

It doesn't have much of a spread as like the other assault weapons. When I use ACOG on other assault I can see the spread and it spreads pretty far in between shots but with the F2000 it's pretty minimal. It's so good I shoot in 3 shot burst for long range shooting.

I feel like this gun you pretty much have to aim for the head, it wouldn't kill but it helps me kill them faster. I aim for heads anyways.

The only thing I don't like is running into people head on, it takes so many shots upclose and it's hard to aim at a person's head when both of us are moving and I'm firing from the hip.

Salacious Crumb

endlessflood said:
What platform Salacious?

PC sadly, I know most of you guys play on console and have a blast :( I just bought a PS3, maybe it's time to double dip? I might get that faux goty edition thing when it comes out.

TheSeks

M1911 is fine. Nerfed? Didn't notice, it kills people just as it did before.

Rex is fine.

M9 is fine, but it's situational. Same for the burst.

You don't pull either of the later two (or hell, the Rex) out UNLESS you are out of ammo/middle of reloading a gun and the person is damage/caught you by surprise.

They aren't meant to be "pistol as a main" like CoD's secondary pistols are.

I silvered the F2000 earlier today. It's a good gun with the iron sights, but the issue is the high RoF + low damage and small clip. Using Magnum Ammo turns it into a good sniping monster (tap tap tap, death) but yeah... it's good for small areas (like Arica Conquest or second set Arica) but I wouldn't rely on it in open areas like Atacama Rush/Conquest.

Also the M16 isn't useless. Iron Sights + Magnum Ammo on it. I'm rolling Magnum Ammo on assault on because really, there isn't anything on Assault Slot 2 worth a damn unless going C4 assault. I know: I'm being a hypocrite with my hate of Magnum Ammo but if 90% of the player base is using it [and the 10% being armor] why the hell torture myself with the exception of Medic in getting kills.

In any case. Feather the fire button, BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM DEATH.

Olimpia and No_Style can attest to my M16 kills if they were noticing the kill window on White Pass Conquest during the first base rape round. Second base rape it was me staying at A/B while RU/enemy team parachuted down into our teams hail of gunfire.

Top Bottom