• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 |OT2| See, Spot, Run

Pete Rock

Yeah I drop out of Nelson Bay more frequently than not, it's just such a fucking downer after a series of epic wins and I've had what seems like a disproportionate amount of frustrating matches on that level more than any other. I can also only remember maybe one or two really good games on it, everything else was either an offensive or defensive slaughter.

Agreed with Faceless on the map selection, although I'd love the '43 maps in here just as much if not more than some remixed sections from campaign and the two best BC1 ports.

I could see myself having more fun playing without vehicles on Guadalcanal, where you have more rolling hills and tree cover rather than two parallel roads the entire map. Not to say I'd prefer that, I still see no reason to play without vehicles in a Battlefield game, to me that is just as ridiculous as playing Squad Rush/DM.

Darkshier said:
You have to kill a lot, and whatever does that the best way (magnum ammo), is just the most efficient.
I wouldn't have 1,222 kills with the flaming ass M60 if this wasn't absolutely true :lol

Haha, I can totally agree with the stealth approach sometimes. I love those situations where you and a friend are sneaking through the woods near their base. You'll hear some footsteps/yelling, so you hide and see a group of enemies run pass and you'll tell your friend "don't shoot, let them pass." Then you make your way to the mcom. Feels like a movie or a stealth mission in a campaign.

I'm really thinking about getting this game but I have to know first if a lot of people still play it on ps3 and if it plays/feels like the recent MoH beta; If so I don't think I'll bother.

Darkshier said:
Those times are so few and far between though Face. I can agree there are times where stealthy approach can be taken, but they don't last for long. You have to kill a lot, and whatever does that the best way (magnum ammo), is just the most efficient.
killing is only truly important in defense in Rush. well, and Squad DM... i guess my playstyle makes other things more important than magnum ammo.

Solid_Rain said:
I'm really thinking about getting this game but I have to know first if a lot of people still play it on ps3 and if it plays/feels like the recent MoH beta; If so I don't think I'll bother.
a ton of people on GAF play it on PS3 (and 360 and PC as well) and as far as the play and feel goes, well, expect varying opinions. many people hated MoH and said it felt too much like BC2, and many hated MoH and said it was too different from BC2.

TheSeks said:
PS3 GAF is generally on daily/nightly. Weekends is when most people flood into it but Faceless/Olimipia/Myself (but I do play other games)/Crack (rush only)/NoStyle/Dreamgazer/AbuC/... all play nightly.

Sweet, please add me. PSN: R-Signal

Mr Sandman said:
The way I see it as magnum ammo is just the standard. If you want to go with something different for a change, then pick from the other ones at cost of one measly bullet. If I feel like being a douche with the RPG, I'll pick the explosive mkII, and still kick ass with the UMP. It doesn't make that much of difference, except on some guns where it's practically required for distance (M14, T88S, etc). The other perks in that category just aren't useful other than certain situations.

Seriously, it's the matter of 6 bullets vs 7. Woo. Get the fuck over it already.

If magnum ammo is standard then why not just make everyone's guns slightly more powerful and then remove the perk entirely? Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
TheSeks said:
PS3 GAF is generally on daily/nightly. Weekends is when most people flood into it but Faceless/Olimipia/Myself (but I do play other games)/Crack (rush only)/NoStyle/Dreamgazer/AbuC/... all play nightly.

*Bison"YESSSSS".gif*

Let's do it. :D I've been meaning to play BC1 and not have to worry about my KDR for a bit now. :lol
This is like the second time you forgot about me.... T__T

Also abuC is the greatest BFBC2 player ever.

The Faceless Master said:
killing is only truly important in defense in Rush. well, and Squad DM... i guess my playstyle makes other things more important than magnum ammo.
Effective spawn suppression is important for all game types. Of course defensive Rush is the most important, as the faster you kill the faster you win. However, most of the time on offense in rush, you need to be killing defenders non-stop or it is almost not possible to take objectives. Conquest killing is of course important and if your not killing, the other team will kill you and reduce your tickets.

My playstyle is to have fun. Having fun means winning for me and magnum ammo helps me accomplish that more than any other perks except c4.

Stat check!

360_Serpico%20MTZ.png

360_Serpico%20MTZ.png

Red Blaster said:
If magnum ammo is standard then why not just make everyone's guns slightly more powerful and then remove the perk entirely? Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?

I agree but I'm forced to use Magnum because most times it's the difference between life and death.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Darkshier said:
I didn't know aiming required no skill. If you aren't using perk spots for c4, then you use it for magnum and a scope, that's just the bottom line. Anything else and you aren't killing as well, and this game is all about killing.

Using a baby buff perk requires no skill in your kills.

If magnum ammo is standard then why not just make everyone's guns slightly more powerful and then remove the perk entirely?

This.

I would stop bitching if 99% of players weren't using it as their slot two to get a "better damage rate" over the base.

I've killed with both just fine. But not using Magnum Ammo/being forced to use Magnum Ammo because everyone else uses it and not using it yourself puts you at a HUGE disadvantage.

"B-B-B-BUT THAT'S ONE BULLET!"

And that one bullet less when I'm not using Magnum Ammo means I'm going to be killed 9/10 of the time unless there is another person near me taking that Magnum Ammo fire. It's fucking stupid.

Magnum Ammo needs to go.

I agree but I'm forced to use Magnum because most times it's the difference between life and death.

Or you can equip the shitty armor and negate the damage, but I've had times where the armor doesn't do shit.

Magnum Ammo is such a shitty perk, I really wish I could slap the developer that allowed that to pass into the game.

TheSeks said:
Using a baby buff perk requires no skill in your kills.

This.

I would stop bitching if 99% of players weren't using it as their slot two to get a "better damage rate" over the base.

I've killed with both just fine. But not using Magnum Ammo/being forced to use Magnum Ammo because everyone else uses it and not using it yourself puts you at a HUGE disadvantage.

"B-B-B-BUT THAT'S ONE BULLET!"

And that one bullet less when I'm not using Magnum Ammo means I'm going to be killed 9/10 of the time unless there is another person near me taking that Magnum Ammo fire. It's fucking stupid.

Magnum Ammo needs to go.

Or you can equip the shitty armor and negate the damage, but I've had times where the armor doesn't do shit.

Magnum Ammo is such a shitty perk, I really wish I could slap the developer that allowed that to pass into the game.

Right, because when I am popping headshots left and right, there is no skill involved there.

Basically, you adapt to the situation or suck less. I don't know what else to say. There has never been a point in my hours and hours of playing battlefield where magnum ammo deaths have frustrated me in any way at all.

Red Blaster said:
that's the thing though, it's not standard. many people use explosive damage or (i dunno why) ceramic armor instead. in fact, just the other day i was playing and like 3/4 of the other squad was using shotguns and armor, and it was a total shift from the usual.

Darkshier said:
Effective spawn suppression is important for all game types. Of course defensive Rush is the most important, as the faster you kill the faster you win. However, most of the time on offense in rush, you need to be killing defenders non-stop or it is almost not possible to take objectives. Conquest killing is of course important and if your not killing, the other team will kill you and reduce your tickets.

My playstyle is to have fun. Having fun means winning for me and magnum ammo helps me accomplish that more than any other perks except c4.
well, it depends on the defenders, i often try to find holes and get in without killing them, but that obviously isn't always a viable option!

explosive damage is my poison of choice, sometimes i even forget to switch to magnum when i use the smoke launcher instead of the grenade launcher or c4, and as an engineer i always use explosive damage. i find that i often just can't rely on other people to take out vehicles, or take them out fast enough. many times in conquest i'll just sit on a 2-1 (or 3-1) flag advantage holed up with AT Mines at all the right places and an RPG/CG/AT4 in hand, letting the ticket bleed do it's job.

i like winning too! seriously!

OH NO U DI'INT!!!

OldJadedGamer said:
i personally think it's amusing that i mainly use magnum ammo when it's not a matter of life and death... when i'm playing recon with a sniper rifle!

that's the thing though, it's not standard. many people use explosive damage or (i dunno why) ceramic armor instead. in fact, just the other day i was playing and like 3/4 of the other squad was using shotguns and armor, and it was a total shift from the usual.

I should specify that I'm not wholly opposed to magnum ammo, It's the lack of a counter available to everyone that is pissing me off. What rank is armor unlocked, 15? That's at least a good 15-20 hours of gameplay necessary to just cancel out magnum rounds. I think it would've been a lot better if both magnum rounds and armor were unlocked simultaneously at like rank 5 or something.

Red Blaster said:
I should specify that I'm not wholly opposed to magnum ammo, It's the lack of a counter available to everyone that is pissing me off. What rank is armor unlocked, 15? That's at least a good 15-20 hours of gameplay necessary to just cancel out magnum rounds. I think it would've been a lot better if both magnum rounds and armor were unlocked simultaneously at like rank 5 or something.
I can agree with that Red. I personally feel that unlocks are complete bullshit and that everyone should have everything at the start. All the leveling up/ranking system is just a stupid carrot on a stick, which doesn't belong in online multiplayer games. Player skill and ingenuity should be what the game is all about, not whoever has unlocked a better perk or not.

Red Blaster said:
this i agree on, the unlock system makes it tough when you start out, the #1 thing that bugs me when playing on the GAF BFBC2 tag is not having AT Mines. they are so vital to my style of map control on certain maps. it's sad that developers and publishers feel the need to 'reward' people in this fashion, and it makes me sad when people ask "is there anything to unlock after Rank 22"" and say "what? that's it?" when they hear the answer.

I use it because the best defense is a good offense. They could take it out and I wouldn't care but the option is there, I'm going to take it.

abuC

yeah, the 40MM Shotgun is pretty vicious, i've barely used it and gotten several double and a triple with it. i usually use the Pro Tube or Noob Tube.

I started using it less than a week ago, already racked up 280+ kills with it :lol I love the sound of the thing, it makes people fly when it hits them too.

Fersis said:
Also abuC is the greatest BFBC2 player ever.

Thanks, I wish but WhiteyBulger is the best BFBC2 player there is, most aggressive and skillful player I have seen, high KDR (3.5+) and really high SPM (360per), he doesn't use vehicles either, just guns people down the the M1.

No_Style

Yes, BC2's unlock system is terrible and upside down.

this i agree on, the unlock system makes it tough when you start out, the #1 thing that bugs me when playing on the GAF BFBC2 tag is not having AT Mines. they are so vital to my style of map control on certain maps. it's sad that developers and publishers feel the need to 'reward' people in this fashion, and it makes me sad when people ask "is there anything to unlock after Rank 22"" and say "what? that's it?" when they hear the answer.

I don't understand this line. What's a "GAF BFBC2 tag"?

Coldsnap

Got my ultimate edition today. The box quote "battlefield: bad company 2 is a better game than call of duty modern warfare 2" is silly, not sure how i feel about that.

Anyone playing tonight? Care to take a xbox 360 player under their wing?

Facism

had one of my best BC2 moments just now. 2nd from last set of mcoms on Valparaiso, attacking, playing as engie with m870 shotty and slugs.

Sneaked from base all the way to B, set the charge and then managed to 1-Man Army defend the mcom with the shotty. 6 kills and BOOOOM!.

when this game clicks it can fuckin click

I had so many moments I can't remember all of them. I had one moment where I took both of the last M-COMS in Arica Harbor. I went in an slaughtered both of the first and 2nd floor guys and armed it. Went down kill the Alpha disarmers and went up to check Bravo and repeated that until both blew.

No_Style said:
Yes, BC2's unlock system is terrible and upside down.

I don't understand this line. What's a "GAF BFBC2 tag"?
it's the 360 Gamertag that we use to find other GAF players currently playing due to the ability to see 'friends of friends' lists on XBL

Coldsnap

I added the GAF Tag, ColdsnapBryan is my gamertag. I will be playing most of tonight, if you see me on just send an invite.

spotting = instant death for me haha

abuC

Crakatak187 said:
AbuC do you have a mic? The games that you joined in our squad is kind of awkward to see somebody not talking.

Sometimes I do, most of the time I don't, I mostly forget to charge it. I don't have to speak though, play on my team enough and you'll see Im mostly in the right place at the right time.

abuC said:
Sometimes I do, most of the time I don't, I mostly forget to charge it. I don't have to speak though, play on my team enough and you'll see Im mostly in the right place at the right time.
Communication makes such a big difference in this game though, just being able to tell your teammates where you've seen enemies (especially when spotting them hasn't worked) or update them on the health of M-COMs can be crucial to winning. Plus it just makes it more fun in my experience, a lot of cool and funny stuff happens in this game and it's nice to be able to share it :)

Yeah, I kinda use magnum ammo as my default skill unless the situation calls for the use of a different loadout.
If I'm on a level with alot of destructable environments like houses then +Exp. Dmg for my toob or RPG so people just don't "walk it off". If I'm specifically spawning to eliminate vehicles then I use it too, also works wonders if you want a mortar strike to level a building or obtain muti-kills in a populated area.

I'll usually rock +Armor if I'm sniping or using an M60, AN-94, or Shotty. Base damage of those weapons will usually get you by an opponent and the extra armor ensures it. Spotting scope to is nice if I'm at a base with a good angle on the enemy, kind of a waste to spot one dude every 3 min. as I sit at odd angle. It's awesome tho to be able to look in and see mutiple enemies, far more usefull showing your team were everyone is then shooting 1 guy or spotting just 1.

One thing I stress to my buddies, abandon scopes unless you specifically need it for a situation. Having extra nades, bullets, explosives, or faster feet makes learning to use the sights well worth. I'm a fan of..
Engy+Extra explosives
Shotgun+Lightweight+Armor
and a couple other little combos :)

abuC

endlessflood said:
Communication makes such a big difference in this game though, just being able to tell your teammates where you've seen enemies (especially when spotting them hasn't worked) or update them on the health of M-COMs can be crucial to winning. Plus it just makes it more fun in my experience, a lot of cool and funny stuff happens in this game and it's nice to be able to share it :)
I can get by without a mic, consider me the well trained Rottweiler, I don't speak but I understand and get the job done.

Pkm said:
One thing I stress to my buddies, abandon scopes unless you specifically need it for a situation. Having extra nades, bullets, explosives, or faster feet makes learning to use the sights well worth.

Only time I use scopes is with the M95, I use the red-dot or ACOG and become a very aggressive assault recon class. At medium range it's pretty much a one shot kill in the upper body, especially if they've taken some damage.

Coldsnap

wow i just got 1st place on my 3rd time playing. I knifed two dudes, unloaded a clip into a guy, then busted out a pistol and killed the 4th dude. Probably all luck. This game sounds amazing, It will probably encourage me to fix my 5.1

abuC said:
yeah, i forget to charge mine sometimes too. i feel so bad when i see a squadmate killed and i could have warned them but my mic is charging.

Coldsnap said:
wow i just got 1st place on my 3rd time playing. I knifed two dudes, unloaded a clip into a guy, then busted out a pistol and killed the 4th dude. Probably all luck. This game sounds amazing, It will probably encourage me to fix my 5.1
and another one starts down the road to addiction...

jayb

Coldsnap said:
Got my ultimate edition today. The box quote "battlefield: bad company 2 is a better game than call of duty modern warfare 2" is silly, not sure how i feel about that.

nothing wrong with quoting the truth. :D

Red Blaster said:
Sweet, please add me. PSN: R-Signal

Because then everyone would use body armor and people would just bitch about that? Oh wait, lets remove body armor *and* magnum. What's there to choose from now. Now people are clinging to the accuracy boost and people are still ranting about lack of teh proper medix. If you want some other modifier there's going to be a trade off. The only the fix I see is for them to ditch body armor and mag and create different perks to make up for them. Not happening.

Mr Sandman said:
Because then everyone would use body armor and people would just bitch about that? Oh wait, lets remove body armor *and* magnum. What's there to choose from now. Now people are clinging to the accuracy boost and people are still ranting about lack of teh proper medix. If you want some other modifier there's going to be a trade off. The only the fix I see is for them to ditch body armor and mag and create different perks to make up for them. Not happening.

Or they could stop copying Call Of Duty and just ditch perks entirely. Battlefield 2 didn't have them so why should Bad Company? Again, my issue is that as a newcomer I'm given literally nothing to combat these perks.

Red Blaster said:
Or they could stop copying Call Of Duty and just ditch perks entirely. Battlefield 2 didn't have them so why should Bad Company? Again, my issue is that as a newcomer I'm given literally nothing to combat these perks.
Another good option, though I (and others I guess) don't mind the first set of perks.

Railer

Got the game like 3 days ago, and god damn its good. Read the thread and since i had no clue what magnum ammo etc was , i never minded it so far.

I also noticed alot of here play PS3 as me, but are there any EU goons going online and killing shit ?
If there is, i'd love to join, my PSN is Aludia.

Pinzer

Unconfirmed Member
Coldsnap said:

Battlefield moment: when a situation goes horribly right

My bad Faceless the Arica Game I was in was super laggy to me. I shot a sniper and when he was just about to die he teleported 2 feet to the right. That's how laggy it was to me.

TheSeks

LMAO got my first BC2 retail "YOU SUCK"/hate mail from "[FOX]theKREATOR"

Only to proceed to kick his ass along with keeping his teams tickets draining 5 rounds in a row with GAF.

QQ more about me killing you via hipfire. How does it feel to have a cripple and his team kick your fucking asses repeatedly? What's that? No shitty excuse about how you died now? :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

TheSeks

Mr Sandman said:
Another good option, though I (and others I guess) don't mind the first set of perks.

Scopes can stay for those that need a crutch. But frankly Mag Ammo/Armor gotta go.

"Steady Aim" I have no issue with as generally that's a hip-fire accuracy increase so it's more a crutch for shitty hip-spraying than anything.

Explosive damage up is alright, but could go.

But frankly, I agree that Battlefield should be it's own thing and not copying the perk shit from CoD.

TheSeks said:
LMAO got my first BC2 retail "YOU SUCK"/hate mail from "[FOX]theKREATOR"

Only to proceed to kick his ass along with keeping his teams tickets draining 5 rounds in a row with GAF.

QQ more about me killing you via hipfire. How does it feel to have a cripple and his team kick your fucking asses repeatedly? What's that? No shitty excuse about how you died now? :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

LOL :lol Tonite was a good round with GAF. Kicked him and his team's ass continuously. I was being more patient tonite with defending the middle flag or staying with teammates instead of the usual run around. Man I got more kills tonite.

Mr Sandman said:
remove Magnum, Body Armor and Stabiliy and then move Lightweight to the Spec 2 slot!

Crakatak187 said:
My bad Faceless the Arica Game I was in was super laggy to me. I shot a sniper and when he was just about to die he teleported 2 feet to the right. That's how laggy it was to me.
it was laggy for me too, i think it was an asian server, some of the people had the kind of names i usually see on asian servers.

abuC

Sorry to Olmpia and Nostyle, I just switched back to default controls for the helicopters, more crashing will happen until I get the hang of it.

If you take away a spec, you got to take it all away. Take away Magnum, people will use body armor, take that away and they will use marksmen training, take that away and people will use the explosive spec. All will be left is scopes and more ammunition and lightweight.

I like scopes because I use to play a shit load of CS in the past and I fucking hate the whole notion of Iron sight. Waste of time just to aim down the sights and have the sights obstruct your view.

TheSeks

Crakatak187 said:
If you take away a spec, you got to take it all away. Take away Magnum, people will use body armor, take that away and they will use marksmen training, take that away and people will use the explosive spec. All will be left is scopes and more ammunition and lightweight.

I like scopes because I use to play a shit load of CS in the past and I fucking hate the whole notion of Iron sight. Waste of time just to aim down the sights and have the sights obstruct your view.

BC1 was fine without perks. BC2 would be great without perks.

If iron sights are giving you problems you've got more issues than worrying about the perks.

I have no issues with the iron sights with the exception of maybe 2-3 guns (AEK being a big one), and those are the ones where I slap a ACOG on the gun.

XM8 probably has the best iron sights in the game with AN-94, AKS-47U closely following.

I was hitting people with a non-Magnum Ammoed XM8 LMG today. Crazy. I haven't noticed that gun before, but I think I'm falling in love with it.

I wouldn't mind having no spec, but since the choice is there I'm going to take it.

People blame COD for it, but I really blame Mega Man X5. First game I played with a perks.

On one hand, perks open up the possibilities of how you can play all the classes, and more options usually aren't a bad thing. On the other, perks also allows classes to be played in ways they weren't meant to be played, sometimes at the expense of balance.

I personally have no problem with magnum ammo. But maybe class specific perks would be best? More unique perks per class, and perks that align with that class's intended use=awesome.

And call me crazy, but I would love more visual customization in BC2. I'll never object to that.

Top Bottom