• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 |OT2| See, Spot, Run

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
olimpia84 said:
Stat-wise they're all the same but the Neostad 2000 loads a tad faster than the rest of them (some people think it has a better range too although I'm not too sure about this).

From what I've noticed, it's slightly more accurate with the non-slugs (circle reticule) than the other pump action shotguns at a mid-range distance. Close-range they're all the same.

olimpia84

TheSeks said:
Bullshit. The 91-A1 is a beast.

Put crosshair on target.
TAPTAPTAP
????
DEADMEN PROFIT

Edit: Abu/Faceless: My DNS died and since I'm slightly tired of playing right now I'm going to call it quits for an hour or so. I'll be back at 10PM, if you guys are still around.

It's a good weapon but it takes time to get used to the iron sight and the overall 'feel'.

UFRA

UMP-45 <3 for my Engineer class.

I got platinum status on the original UMP, and now I'm at Gold Star 9 for the Spec Act UMP. :lol

abuC

The best shotgun is the 40mm attachment for the assault rifles, I don't know why it took me so long to discover it, but now I almost can't do without it. You only get two shots, but throw out an ammo crate as you're running and instantly it refills on the go.

TheSeks

abuC said:
The best shotgun is the 40mm attachment for the assault rifles, I don't know why it took me so long to discover it, but now I almost can't do without it. You only get two shots, but throw out an ammo crate as you're running and instantly it refills on the go.

Yeah, it feels MANLY. But the issue is the slow reload rate + the two round size/holding like you said.

It's good for a "SURPRISE ASSHOLE" room clearing, but not too much else.

but the 20 round mag is a problem for me.

That's why you hang back. Engineer's have to play like cockroaches. First sign of multiple people, you RUN. Tank notices you? YOU RUN.

abuC

TheSeks said:
Yeah, it feels MANLY. But the issue is the slow reload rate + the two round size/holding like you said.

It's good for a "SURPRISE ASSHOLE" room clearing, but not too much else.

The first shot usually puts people down, but on the occasions that it doesn't I quickly switch back to the AR and a few shots finishes the job. I love it, I use it all the time even out in the open now too, it just fires so fast people don't even have time to shoot back.

Donos

TheSeks said:
Bullshit. The 91-A1 is a beast.

Put crosshair on target.
TAPTAPTAP
????
DEADMEN PROFIT

Edit: Abu/Faceless: My DNS died and since I'm slightly tired of playing right now I'm going to call it quits for an hour or so. I'll be back at 10PM, if you guys are still around.

Maybe i just have to adjust from TF2 but for me it was more "TAPTAPTAPTAPTAPTAPCLICKCLICKDEADDEAD. Although i played on a server with everybody over rank 30 . So i should hang in with the weapon ? i'm close to unlock the next engie weapon.

scoobs

i prefer the ak74 due to its fast fire rate and stupidly good hip-fire accuracy up close. I've been getting back into the m60... forgot why i got my first platinum star w/ that gun, it is DAMN good.

TheSeks

Donos said:
Maybe i just have to adjust from TF2 but for me it was more "TAPTAPTAPTAPTAPTAPCLICKCLICKDEADDEAD. Although i played on a server with everybody over rank 30 . So i should hang in with the weapon ? i'm close to unlock the next engie weapon.

All the SMG's are good. But I'd rank them (in my opinion/preferences)

AKS-74U (pre-console-buff nerf)<-XM8 Compact<-AKS-47U (console-buff nerf)<-91-A1<-Most of the Others Here.

Really, the iron sights on the 91-A1 aren't bad. The 20 clip size generally isn't an issue if you're playing on even ground (AKA: no one is MA-whoring or Armored). Even at range you can generally kill a person so long as you are one-on-one. In multiples you aren't going to win a fight unless MA is slapped on for the class (or playing hardcore). But don't knock the 91-A1. It's a good gun.

And yes, going to Battlefield from TF2 is VERY needing to adjust/slow down. TF2 you can die-over-and-over-and-over so long as your team is making progress/defending the base/objective and it's working. Here, if you're attacking you're wasting tickets if it isn't making a dent in the attack (capturing flags, damaging the M-COM/crates). You're better off trying to stay alive unless you're the type of player (generally like me) that'll run around doing everything in their power to make the enemies attack harder (while being frustrated at dying over and over).

That's not to mention that while "arcade" BF isn't too "arcade"-y in feel like TF2 aiming is.

*ahem*

abuC said:
>>40MM Shotgun<<

The biggest issue I have with "switching to kill a dude" is that the "switch animation" (switching the gun from grenade/40mm to "ready" primary fire) generally will get me killed. If there is a way to avoid that animation/cancel it the shotgun would be pretty good to spam. That said, I've had bullshit "hit confirm"/one-hit-try-to-reload-cancel-to-primary-to-only-die-from-the-person-I-hit bullshit moments for me to use it often. In fact, it's the same for the 40MM attachments in general. While they're useful, they're slow and make me a sitting duck if I have them on and don't have the time to switch between the modes. :/

That said:

M931 burst (IIRC?) Gold Star 1 achieved. Only pistol I have left to Gold Star is the Shepard WRex. Oy, not a good "primary kill" gun, so it means having to pull it out after damaging a person a little, even with MA slapped on it.

Nearly there with the SV98 Sniper (only "primary class" gun I have left to gold), which leaves the shotguns to gold star and then I have everything at least gold starred to 1. :lol

Also I think I hit level 42 today. Hoorah, 8 more levels to cap. *sigh* Such a grind (if I didn't, I'm going to hit it tomorrow I'm nearly there).

littleornothin

Neo Member
UFRA said:
UMP-45 <3 for my Engineer class.

I got platinum status on the original UMP, and now I'm at Gold Star 9 for the Spec Act UMP. :lol

Yeah, noticed this weekend, after some weeks of not playing, that a whole lot of people where running as Engineers with UMP.
Was playing Squad DM so it did seem a bit odd. But quickly realized why.
So equiped UMP w/ Lightweight and Armor the next round and all I can say is that all the wookies on Laguna Presa got a nice surprise :D
Think I got a 12 killstreak, including C4:ing the tank (2x kill).

I only saw 1 other in the 4 teams that not was a wookie :\
The only drawback was that none was Assault so ran out of ammo so had to pick up a Recon kit. That got me killed..

olimpia84 said:
sorry I didn't join you last night dreamgazer, but renderman and I were in a squad with two random dudes that had mics and we were playing very well as a team although I must say that it was just pretty much us 4 doing ALL the work.
I was so frustrated last night...I don't think I ever cursed that much in my life :lol
We won 2 games and lost 5 but I decided to stick with it and not switch servers despite being frustrated and having useless teammates. It was a very nice change of pace though, usually my Conquest team dominates the entire match so easily that halfway through the game we're spawn camping the opposing team.

I still can't believe we blew a 80+ ticket lead in Port Valdez, that defeat was plain humiliating; then we went on to win White Pass rather comfortably but in the second round they got us AGAIN with us having a huge lead over them....=/

I still cant believe we lost that lead. Dunno what our team was doing. But nonetheless, good match.

Just played with some of the chessiest dudes, clan tag [C4]...for a reason

C4+UAV= 5 min rounds

Hell they even C4'd it and blew me out the Hind....

I can take lowbies doing it, hell its good points. I can take doing it sub-30 tickets, when it reads that low then yeah sometimes ya gotta say fuck it and cheese up. Hell I can understand COMs in house being C4/Mined cause any monkeys can knock a house on an MCOM, you can sneeze and the thing goes boom.

But, level 40+...4 guys all C4ing the UAV, jihading C4'd vehicles into it, Tossing mines+nade suiside...last round was 8 minutes

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Had some good matches with abuC and faceless last night.
I think we got the 'Best Squad' award 3 times in a row.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Hey guys, can you point in the right direction a newb pc gamer like myself?
First let me say that I've bought a rig 95% 'cause of racing games to play 60fps, 1080p and with the G27, but then Bad Company 2 was on sale and... holy fuck I'm floored at how good it runs on my medium level pc with i5 750quad + HD5850 + 4GbDDr3 and gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 mobo! :O

Bear with me and take it to your heart to help a poor noob fellow gaffer: :p
  • One reason I could never play mouse+kb fps games on a big screen (I play on 120" projector screen, but even with a 42" it's a problem ) was because of motion sickness, unfortunately the twitchy super fast mouselook makes me vomit, damn I'm weak :lol
    I tought I could just enjoy BC2's sp (nevermind online, I'm not that crazy) with a gamepad but it's not supported and with pinnacle or that other app it just doesn't feel right (obviously) and MouseFix mod does nothing for my problem.
    So what I'm asking is:
    In console FPSes you have a speed rotation setting (right analog-stick look) to take care of how fast you want to turn (even on Wii games were you turn with pointing close to the edges of the screen), what should I change in BBC2 to take care of that? Should I set lower dpi for the mouse or what else, and more importantly, where?
  • Then: latest catalyst, at 1080p DX11 I have everything set to the max, plus 4xAA, HBAO lighting, v-sync, but why the water doesn't look as good as the X360 version (I had this game)?! Am I doing something wrong 'cause that doesn't seem right, pc looks more "texturey" while the console one more volumetric with actual refractions and that.
  • Also how do I enable triple buffering?

Thanks, hopefully somebody will pay attention to at least the first question ^_^

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I asked Zh1nt0 if Vietnam will have his menu item in the main menu like Onslaught:

Zh1nt0 said:

Which means different playlists from 'vanilla' BFBC2. Thats neat.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Dash Kappei said:
So what I'm asking is:
In console FPSes you have a speed rotation setting (right analog-stick look) to take care of how fast you want to turn (even on Wii games were you turn with pointing close to the edges of the screen), what should I change in BBC2 to take care of that? Should I set lower dpi for the mouse or what else, and more importantly, where?

Well, you should probably lower sensivity but I doubt that lowering DPI will do any good because it's about precision, not speed. But my mouse has a button with some DPI profiles and yes, some of them feel slower. So you may be you should try it in the end.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Dash Kappei said:
Bear with me and take it to your heart to help a poor noob fellow gaffer: :p
  • One reason I could never play mouse+kb fps games on a big screen (I play on 120" projector screen, but even with a 42" it's a problem ) was because of motion sickness, unfortunately the twitchy super fast mouselook makes me vomit, damn I'm weak :lol
    I tought I could just enjoy BC2's sp (nevermind online, I'm not that crazy) with a gamepad but it's not supported and with pinnacle or that other app it just doesn't feel right (obviously) and MouseFix mod does nothing for my problem.
    So what I'm asking is:
  • Then: latest catalyst, at 1080p DX11 I have everything set to the max, plus 4xAA, HBAO lighting, v-sync, but why the water doesn't look as good as the X360 version (I had this game)?! Am I doing something wrong 'cause that doesn't seem right, pc looks more "texturey" while the console one more volumetric with actual refractions and that.
  • Also how do I enable triple buffering?

Thanks, hopefully somebody will pay attention to at least the first question ^_^
1. It's not the Mouse/Keyboards fault, it's the ridiculously low FOV. Go to C:\Users\(Username)\Documents\BFBC2 and open up the settings.ini file in wordpad. At the very bottom you will see FOV, change the number to 70 which is the proper FOV for 16:9.

2. In the same file you will see Water=, make sure that it says Water=High.

3. Download RivaTuner and once it is install check the start menu folder and you will find a program called D3DOverrider. Start this up, set it to start on Windows startup and ad the BFBC2 .exe to it. Make V-sync is off in the game and check off the V-sync and triple-buffer boxes in D3DOverrider for BFBC2.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Stallion Free said:
1. It's not the Mouse/Keyboards fault, it's the ridiculously low FOV. Go to C:\Users\(Username)\Documents\BFBC2 and open up the settings.ini file in wordpad. At the very bottom you will see FOV, change the number to 70 which is the proper FOV for 16:9.

2. In the same file you will see Water=, make sure that it says Water=High.

3. Download RivaTuner and once it is install check the start menu folder and you will find a program called D3DOverrider. Start this up, set it to start on Windows startup and ad the BFBC2 .exe to it. Make V-sync is off in the game and check off the V-sync and triple-buffer boxes in D3DOverrider for BFBC2.

You, my man, are KING.
Really mate, it's not the first time you help me out (last one was with Dolphin) and I sure hope it won't be the last :D

Nabs said:
I think the proper 1080p FOV is 59, but I'm not sure.

And then, you are the Howser to Stallion's King Corobo!
I guess I'm Pancho? :/

edit: well, I appreciated you trying anyway Nabs! HOPE
70 it is then!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Dash Kappei said:
You, my man, are KING.
Really mate, it's not the first time you help me out (last one was with Dolphin) and I sure hope it won't be the last :D
I'm an .ini tweaking whore and I'm happy to preach it to the masses.

Nabs

Dash! If you plan on playing LKS on Dolphin, let me know! I'll give you some nice tweaks to get the game running perfectly :D

olimpia84

duracell017 said:
I still cant believe we lost that lead. Dunno what our team was doing. But nonetheless, good match.

Yeah, now that I think about it, it was actually fun...frustrating but fun because it was really challenging. Last night I played a few rounds again but the other team wasn't as good so it was back to the old typical Conquest domination match that we are all used to. :D

abuC

Fersis said:
Had some good matches with abuC and faceless last night.
I think we got the 'Best Squad' award 3 times in a row.

:D

Yeah, we were doing work, I played later too with Dream, JM and Crak, a lot of good matches.

UFRA

Just FYI Crak, I will be on tonight, but I might be a bit late.

Although it's my day off, I have a meeting for work at 7PM, and it's probably going to last til about 9PM or later, so I'll be online around 10PM (which is 8PM your time) as usual if all goes well. If I'm late, don't bail out I'll be there. :p

Fersis

Gonna be online in a couple of hours.
Send me an invite.

TheSeks

Faceless: I'm trying to get the last 11 SV98 kills to Gold Star it. You joined when I was on a shitty team, I was going to bail. And them being overrunned/not using the VADS quickly to take out the helicopter really killed my interest in being in that game. Sorry. :lol

ok, so the other team (with like 5 lv50s and a 49) C4 the shit out of us, shell from afar with the tank, etc and we hold them off on the final set... but when we do it, they all leave?

cmon guys, take what you dish out!

TheSeks

The Faceless Master said:
ok, so the other team (with like 5 lv50s and a 49) C4 the shit out of us, shell from afar with the tank, etc and we hold them off on the final set... but when we do it, they all leave?

Huh? I thought they stuck around until I started to cheese the crates. I'm like "Well, you want to play that game, you assholes? FUCK YOU THEN. *JIIIIIIHADDDDD ON THE M-COOOOMSo/`~*"

Then you joined me, you get in the tank, cheese the third and fourth set and they ragequitted.

TheSeks said:
Huh? I thought they stuck around until I started to cheese the crates. I'm like "Well, you want to play that game, you assholes? FUCK YOU THEN. *JIIIIIIHADDDDD ON THE M-COOOOMSo/`~*"

Then you joined me, you get in the tank, cheese the third and fourth set and they ragequitted.
that's what i mean, we stayed 'till the end, they bailed before we even got to the last set.

finished playing BC2 (well, not really, server shat on us and everyone went offline) and went to GAF and noticed it was down and was like "wtf?" then saw people chatting about 3DS and i was like "oh, that explains it" and laughed

another stolen attacker's chopper in Atacama!

UFRA

That HIND theft you pulled off when we were playing pretty much turned the outcome of the game. That was brutal. :lol

Crakatak187 said:
Yeah you took that Quad I parked next to the 50 cal didn't you Faceless?

You and Jm saved the day from C4 quaders.
yeah, i used that one.

i was trying to get out there about 2 minutes before that, but a cobra pulled up at the back of the base when i was about to leave and i carled it, but he rpg'd my quad, so i had to wait for the chopper to get shot down again and wait out the 90 seconds again.

abuC

finished playing BC2 (well, not really, server shat on us and everyone went offline) and went to GAF and noticed it was down and was like "wtf?" then saw people chatting about 3DS and i was like "oh, that explains it" and laughed

:lol

I saw you ride off into their base to get the helicopter, pretty funny. They were pretty much helpless without their chopper, went 36-0 as the gunner, and the Isla game before that armed 2 crates and was still 21-0 :lol

TheSeks

that's what i mean, we stayed 'till the end, they bailed before we even got to the last set.

They were there until the new map (Laguna Presa Rush) loaded, at least that I remember. I do remember them all being on the end-of-round scoreboard and then suddenly they were gone.

What's the matter, can't stand a taste of your own meds, but we do it 2x faster and harder? :lol

olimpia84

Yeah that was annoying. They probably were too intimated since it was our turn to be in attack and almost everybody in our team had [GAF] tags.

TheSeks

olimpia84 said:
Yeah that was annoying. They probably were too intimated since it was our turn to be in attack and almost everybody in our team had [GAF] tags.

Man, I've underestimated V OPTICS. That shit is annoying. I had to run across the map, hit them once with the AT4. They back up, an engineer of theirs kills me. They probably repaired the tank and went back to cheesing.

God, I hate Rush sometimes.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
TheSeks said:
Man, I've underestimated V OPTICS. That shit is annoying. I had to run across the map, hit them once with the AT4. They back up, an engineer of theirs kills me. They probably repaired the tank and went back to cheesing.

God, I hate Rush sometimes.
The AT4 nerf was unnecessary, makes an organized tank team almost undefendable on Arica, except for the second set of MCOM's.

abuC

TheSeks said:
And yes, going to Battlefield from TF2 is VERY needing to adjust/slow down. TF2 you can die-over-and-over-and-over so long as your team is making progress/defending the base/objective and it's working. Here, if you're attacking you're wasting tickets if it isn't making a dent in the attack (capturing flags, damaging the M-COM/crates). You're better off trying to stay alive unless you're the type of player (generally like me) that'll run around doing everything in their power to make the enemies attack harder (while being frustrated at dying over and over).

Ah, see that's where we use it differently, I don't switch to kill people with it, I have it set as my primary while Im moving around and switch to the AR when I need to kill someone long range. It's become my weapon of choice, maybe a week ago I said I had 400 kills with it, Im over 1000 with it now. In one of the games we played I had 20 kills with it out of 28, it's not perfect but the AR has turned into an attachment for the 40mm in my eyes.

scoobs

oh my lord the M60 is so good, i completely stopped using it after the nerf and focused on mg36... mistake #1. The nerf did nothing, I still rape everyone with this gun lol. :lol

Top Bottom